Dont you hate it when people ask you what type of doctor you want to be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zakaqel

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I've been dealing with this for a while now. Most of the people that surround me can be classified as medically illiterate; my family is composed of nothing but computer engineers/programmers. In fact, I once overheard one of my dad's respectable friends swearing that the government has developed some sort of technology which will allow for "head" transplants. I hear the, "So, what type of doctor do you want to be?" phrase everyday. Everyone seems to not understand that is painstaking getting into medical school and that as a premed your just currently worrying about getting into medical school.

Sometimes, the unfamiliarity of the medical education process goes a lot farther than that. I was enjoying a meal at a fast food restaurant today. I looked to my side and I saw this 70-80 year old women sitting next to me. She greeted me and then continued in the normal old-lady fashion: talking about her grandchildren, the days when all the "swell" gentleman wanted her and how much better the old days were, etc. I really enjoyed the talk until she asked me what I'm currently studying. I replied that I was a pre-med student. She immediately saw it as a chance to ask me a question about her aching back. It took me about 10 minutes to explain to her that I'm actually not in medical school and I know nothing about medicine. For some reason, she kept on insisting that I knew what was wrong with her and I didn't want to tell her; i.e. I was lying. She left the place angry, without saying bye.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I’ve been dealing with this for a while now. Most of the people that surround me can be classified as medically illiterate; my family is composed of nothing but computer engineers/programmers. In fact, I once overheard one of my dad’s respectable friends swearing that the government has developed some sort of technology which will allow for “head” transplants. I hear the, “So, what type of doctor do you want to be?” phrase everyday. Everyone seems to not understand that is painstaking getting into medical school and that as a premed your just currently worrying about getting into medical school.

Sometimes, the unfamiliarity of the medical education process goes a lot farther than that. I was enjoying a meal at a fast food restaurant today. I looked to my side and I saw this 70-80 year old women sitting next to me. She greeted me and then continued in the normal old-lady fashion: talking about her grandchildren, the days when all the “swell” gentleman wanted her and how much better the old days were, etc. I really enjoyed the talk until she asked me what I’m currently studying. I replied that I was a pre-med student. She immediately saw it as a chance to ask me a question about her aching back. It took me about 10 minutes to explain to her that I’m actually not in medical school and I know nothing about medicine. For some reason, she kept on insisting that I knew what was wrong with her and I didn’t want to tell her; i.e. I was lying. She left the place angry, without saying bye.

:laugh: I don't know why but I found this funny.

Yeah, it's preety irritating because I really don't know at this point (I've shadowed many docs in many different specialties and each was cool in its own way). I just say cardiology, because I do find it interesting and it seems to impress women :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, I never get asked this question. I guess it helps that a lot of my family and friends are in healthcare and academia...

I just tell them I want to be a geriatric gynecologist. That usually shuts them up ( I do get some weird looks though)

I give folks the benefit of the doubt....sometimes.

Most of the time I end the conversation by giving them a "piss off" look.

meh, I actually don't like telling people that I want to be a doctor.

i just shut up.

It used to irritate me but then I just figured they are trying to make conversation. My desired specialty changes so I throw them a bone, something like cardiology. It is more of an "That's nice" specialty. Probably good to stay away from neurosurgery (crazy in a good way or yeah right) and psychiatry (crazy in a bad way).

On the other hand I can't stand when people ask for medical advice. Sorry grandma, I have no clue why you have a gas problem.

Your first mistake was telling people that you're a pre-med. Why not just answer, "______ major?" Why do you feel the need to make it known to strangers that you want to become a doctor. Most of it is pleasantries. I find that people don't really give a ****.

Your first mistake was telling people that you're a pre-med. Why not just answer, "______ major?" Why do you feel the need to make it known to strangers that you want to become a doctor. Most of it is pleasantries. I find that people don't really give a ****.
THe problem with that is, when I say Biochemistry the very next question is... "so you're gonna apply to med school?" Or "what are you planning on doing with that?"

Quite annoying sometimes.

I just tell them I want to be a geriatric gynecologist. That usually shuts them up ( I do get some weird looks though)

I go with Pediatric Gynecologist. It gets more laughs.

THe problem with that is, when I say Biochemistry the very next question is... "so you're gonna apply to med school?" Or "what are you planning on doing with that?"

I see your point. For the latter question, I'd probably just say something like, "I don't know. Something with science," and move on.

I go with Pediatric Gynecologist. It gets more laughs.

Seriously? That sounds creepy. :laugh:

The only thing I do hate is how every Freshman I talk to says theyre going to be a plastic surgeon.

ps: that peds OB/GYN comment was just plain creepy.:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I’ve been dealing with this for a while now. Most of the people that surround me can be classified as medically illiterate; my family is composed of nothing but computer engineers/programmers. In fact, I once overheard one of my dad’s respectable friends swearing that the government has developed some sort of technology which will allow for “head” transplants. I hear the, “So, what type of doctor do you want to be?” phrase everyday. Everyone seems to not understand that is painstaking getting into medical school and that as a premed your just currently worrying about getting into medical school.

Sometimes, the unfamiliarity of the medical education process goes a lot farther than that. I was enjoying a meal at a fast food restaurant today. I looked to my side and I saw this 70-80 year old women sitting next to me. She greeted me and then continued in the normal old-lady fashion: talking about her grandchildren, the days when all the “swell” gentleman wanted her and how much better the old days were, etc. I really enjoyed the talk until she asked me what I’m currently studying. I replied that I was a pre-med student. She immediately saw it as a chance to ask me a question about her aching back. It took me about 10 minutes to explain to her that I’m actually not in medical school and I know nothing about medicine. For some reason, she kept on insisting that I knew what was wrong with her and I didn’t want to tell her; i.e. I was lying. She left the place angry, without saying bye.

haha, where do you live?! i've always thought that this kind of thing only happens in the south.... but correct me if i'm wrong.

tell 'em the kind you don't question

I hate it when people say i want to be in xxxx speciality because they like the one in greys anatomy. That pisses me off. I mean they dont even know the life of a surgeon. They just like surgery cauz it looks cool.

When people are genuinely interested in my future plans (family), then I enjoy talking about them. However, when a random person asks my major, I just say "something medical" because I really don't feel like being questioned further.

On a side note, the very first time I came home from college freshman year, my eleven year old brother comes up to me and says, "So can you perform surgery now?" Haha sooo cute :laugh:

I hate it when people say i want to be in xxxx speciality because they like the one in greys anatomy. That pisses me off. I mean they dont even know the life of a surgeon. They just like surgery cauz it looks cool.

My ex-girlfriend wanted to be a doctor back in high school (didnt everybody?). She was totally serious and bragged about it to everyone, but she absolutely could not stand needles or blood. She said, in complete seriousness to me, "Well, when I do surgery I'll just have a nurse open the person up and deliver the shots.. I'll do the cutting, and the nurse can close them back up."

Needless to say, she changed her mind about medicine after her first shadowing...

haha I know right. A friend of mine is going to medical school so she can "make money" and "get power." Not really sure what she means by the latter, but I know she hates the sight of blood and spent about two weekends shadowing a friends' parent that pulled some weight to get her into a school. She's moderately excited about med school, but really stoked she's living in a big house with like 5 people. According to her, "it's going to be just like grey's anatomy!"

Tell them you want to be Dr. Doom :D

actually, i enjoy seeing the puzzled faces on friends and family members when i tell them i majored in history. People give me the awkward "oh", figuring that I dropped the whole pre-med thing. It's great.

I really don't see it as a big deal, certainly nothing to be all upset over. People who really know you ask out of curiosity because they want to have an idea what they will see you doing in 10+ years...those who don't really know you ask for the sake of making small talk...the same way they would ask your opinion of the weather, the big game over the weekend, etc. I just answer the question.

Exactly. I always say Psych major, and every once in awhile I'll be asked what I want to do with that, but it's pretty rare.

I really don't see it as a big deal, certainly nothing to be all upset over. People who really know you ask out of curiosity because they want to have an idea what they will see you doing in 10+ years...those who don't really know you ask for the sake of making small talk...the same way they would ask your opinion of the weather, the big game over the weekend, etc. I just answer the question.

Seriously...

People are just trying to make conversation, why would it actually annoy you??

Seriously...

People are just trying to make conversation, why would it actually annoy you??
uhhh, because you get it atleast once a day?? I think its just as bad as when I had surgery on my knee and i got asked like 10 times a day.... so what did you do???

After a while I just started saying "I hurt it"

If you go around proclaiming to the entire world that you're pre-med, then thats one thing. But if a person asks what your career plans are, just out of curiosity, why not just tell them you are considering medicine?. As long as you're not some sort of major tool about, I don't see what the matter is

as the OP said, a lot of people just don't know how long and grueling medical education is. most people at my work ask me daily what kind of doctor i'm going to be since they know i'm leaving soon. i usually have to explain how everyone studies the same thing in medical school and that afterward you get training in your specialty of choice, which tacks on another few years. i usually get a few sympathy looks when i mention residency. they thought i'd be done in 4. :laugh::laugh:

to be fair though, i know nothing about what the exact process is to become a lawyer or a university professor or an accountant. unless you have a lot vested in a particular field, you're not going to spend the time looking at what all the requirements are. no use getting frustrated over it.

The only thing I do hate is how every Freshman I talk to says theyre going to be a plastic surgeon.

Ditto! Or how every freshmen is a Biology/Pre-Med Major until they take Chemistry and Biology and realize how hard it is.

Why would this annoy you? Oh, that's right, because you're "pre-med" and "special" and have to work 100000 times harder than everybody else. Give me a break. Get over yourself.

If someone told me they wanted to be an engineer, I would say, "What kind of engineer?" If someone said they wanted to go into psychology, I would ask, "What field?" How can you possibly find this irritating? People will be asking you this your entire life.

Seriously, like... ugh. I'm going to make a thread about how pre-med self-righteousness annoys me.

haha, where do you live?! i've always thought that this kind of thing only happens in the south.... but correct me if i'm wrong.

The South..haha...I live in Michigan

I wouldnt. I would say "well thats nice. Do you play any sports?" or some other kind of small talk

Why would this annoy you? Oh, that's right, because you're "pre-med" and "special" and have to work 100000 times harder than everybody else. Give me a break. Get over yourself.

If someone told me they wanted to be an engineer, I would say, "What kind of engineer?" If someone said they wanted to go into psychology, I would ask, "What field?" How can you possibly find this irritating? People will be asking you this your entire life.

Seriously, like... ugh. I'm going to make a thread about how pre-med self-righteousness annoys me.

haha...:p..I do work 1000000 times harder than everyone else, they should name a department building after me...Kitkat Bar? I've been over myself a long long long (long)36 time ago....

There's a difference between being asked a question that is relevant to you and one that doesn't concern you at the present time. If I knew the answer, I would answer it...I don't. Asking me what type of doctor I want to become is like asking a sixth grader what he's going to major in university.

lol @ self-righteousness

Just say you're studying biology (or whatever your major is) next time.

i personally despise people who go around flaunting that they're gonna be doctors (some without even an acceptance!) and I also hate saying that I'm gonna be a doctor...not at all because Im ashamed of it or something, but because when I do say im going to medical school, I feel an immediate, basically instantaneous rush of judgement coming, along with all the attached stigma/stereotypes about me, as if the entire conversation takes a turn

haha...:p..I do work 1000000 times harder than everyone else, they should name a department building after me...Kitkat Bar? I've been over myself a long long long (long)36 time ago....

There's a difference between being asked a question that is relevant to you and one that doesn't concern you at the present time. If I knew the answer, I would answer it...I don't. Asking me what type of doctor I want to become is like asking a sixth grader what he's going to major in university.

lol @ self-righteousness
Well, if you don't know it, then say so. Is that stressing you? And what do you mean by it having no relevance to you at the present time. You're saying you want to be a doctor. Replying with, "What kind of doctor?" is different from, "What kind of tree do you feel like?" Wtf, am I right?

Whatever. You're better off just keeping your mouth shut when the question arises. It's obviously too difficult.

i personally despise people who go around flaunting that they're gonna be doctors (some without even an acceptance!) and I also hate saying that I'm gonna be a doctor...not at all because Im ashamed of it or something, but because when I do say im going to medical school, I feel an immediate, basically instantaneous rush of judgement coming, along with all the attached stigma/stereotypes about me, as if the entire conversation takes a turn

Despise is a pretty strong emotion for someone that is simply excited about their future career. The thing is whenever you meet someone new for the first time the first thing you learn is their name, then low and behold you get the, "so what do you do for a living?" Personally I like the stereotypes, people think I'm a lot smarter than I actually am :p

lol @ self-righteousness

Do you think that the majority of the general public knows the step-by-step process of becoming a physician? Just give people the benefit of the doubt here. When you say you want to go to med school, for most people, the question "what speciality?" does seem to be relevant. Just give some general, vague, non-committal answer and proceed to change the subject if you don't want to talk about it...

It's OK dude, happens to everyone. One time a woman, who knows my family somehow, got my number and called me randomly. She spent a half hour describing her daughter's symptoms, and wanted me to diagnose her cause she was afraid that she might have cancer :scared: I kept explaining that I was just a 21 year old pre-med with no absolutely no qualifications to even be listening to her. I finally convinced her to go see a doctor, but it was the most uncomfortable I have ever been in my entire life. Now when people ask I just say I'm a bio major. So far so good, apparently no one is interested in learning how mitosis works.

It's OK dude, happens to everyone. One time a woman, who knows my family somehow, got my number and called me randomly. She spent a half hour describing her daughter's symptoms, and wanted me to diagnose her cause she was afraid that she might have cancer :scared: I kept explaining that I was just a 21 year old pre-med with no absolutely no qualifications to even be listening to her. I finally convinced her to go see a doctor, but it was the most uncomfortable I have ever been in my entire life. Now when people ask I just say I'm a bio major. So far so good, apparently no one is interested in learning how mitosis works.
lmao, thats funny

BUt hey, ppl come to SDN for medical advice so why not ask a premed???

What was that one from a few years ago??? Help, this girl bent my shaft while whacking me off and I think its broken----something to that extent, anyways

No it doesn't bother me, but then again I don't walk around with a chip on my shoulder. If someone is asking what my intended specialty is I usually take the ten seconds to tell them that I haven't decided yet because I don't know enough about each one, and that most students don't decide until clinicals in medical school.

If someone is using their breath to inquire, it is always with good intentions. Either they're making small talk, and my answer will suffice, or they're genuinely interested in my future and I am happy to have the discussion.

Yeah I can totally imagine:
Grandma: So dear, what are you studying?
me: Premed :)
Grandma: oh! that's great! What kind of doctor are you going to be?
me: *rolls eyes* Like I already know?
Grandma: oh...well I just thought that you had some kind of idea, since you're thinking about being a....
me: Look granny, I am sick of the whole grilling thing. What am I, under arrest here?? *stalks out of the house*

Who cares if you have to repeat yourself. Different person, different situation. Get used to it... you're probably going to have to repeat yourself quite a bit as a physician.

If you don't know, then you can say, "I don't know yet. Most people change their minds in med school anyway."

Yeah I can totally imagine:
Grandma: So dear, what are you studying?
me: Premed :)
Grandma: oh! that's great! What kind of doctor are you going to be?
me: *rolls eyes* Like I already know?
Grandma: oh...well I just thought that you had some kind of idea, since you're thinking about being a....
me: Look granny, I am sick of the whole grilling thing. What am I, under arrest here?? *stalks out of the house*
:lol:I found this part too funny! Reminds me of a scene out of some type of movie or something....

Floating head doctor...

If you go around proclaiming to the entire world that you're pre-med, then thats one thing. But if a person asks what your career plans are, just out of curiosity, why not just tell them you are considering medicine?. As long as you're not some sort of major tool about, I don't see what the matter is
From my experience it is the major tools who answer “pre-med”. It’s especially toolish when the question is, “What is your major?” Pre-med is not a major! Just answer business, history, philosophy, etc…