DPT vs Sports Medicine DO/MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryan30

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

After reading through all of the threads on DPT vs Sports Medicine Physicians, I'm still a little confused. I understand what a MD or DO can do that a PT can't do, but can someone explain exactly what a DPT can do that a sports medicine physician CAN'T do based on training? For example, I know DPTs are more highly trained in biomechanics, but if I open a practice as a sports medicine physician could I perform the same therapeutic treatments a PT can perform (in addition to prescribing meds and all the other perks a MD/DO has)? Would components such as dry-needling and cupping be an option as continuing education for a sports medicine physician or would I be too busy to perform these types of therapies?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Go to Med school if you can.

If you are into biomechanics, check out podiatry.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks gypsy,
I'm actually more interested in the non-invasive approach to sports medicine and seeing the body as a whole as opposed to specific regions. I was using biomech as an example of something PTs may have more training in. Is there anything else sports med physicians may be less well-versed in when it comes to therapies?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Chiropractic is non invasive, But I would do Physical Therapy before setting foot in a Chiro school.

To my knowlage, physical therapists cannot prescribe medication. Chiro can prescribe natural medications I think.

One difference is a few hundred thousand dollars in yearly salary. A sports med doc diagnoses, treats, and does small procedures. PTs don't and do mainly rehabilitation.

During the treatment, does a sports med doc perform manual therapies or would they prescribe these therapies for OT/PT to complete? Is there anything that a PT is capable of doing for therapeutic interventions that a sports med doc doesn't have the experience (or knowledge) to do themselves?

Docs are going to refer out the PT because they don't have time to do everything. You keep asking about if there is anything the PT can do that the physician can't, the short answer is no. Physicians have the largest scope of practice. But in reality the PT will be much better on the actual physical techniques because the physician isn't doing them as much as PT. If you want to do the thinking part with diagnosing/treating/etc. go physician. If you want to be a healthcare team member that wants to do the hands on rehabilitation go PT.

Okay... Take what I have to say with a grain of salt. I am an ex-DPT student turned pre-med. And Like @DO2015CA said above, there isn't much PT's can do that sports med physicians "CAN'T." Now, here is a list of the differences in techniques that may help: As a sports med physician you can prescribe medications, perform osteopathic manipulative medicine, order X-rays (PT's currently cannot do this, except in a few states), and a whole list of other things. The Physician I shadowed was in charge of the football team and basketball team. So he didn't have a lot of time for cupping/dry needling.

As a DPT your scope of practice is different... You can perform muscle energy technique's, prescribe an exercise program, use different types of technology such as: aqua treadmills, TENS units, traction units, and certain clinics use bioxdex isokinetic testing machines (this is where biomechanics comes in handy), and one-on-one patient time is much longer. Now, as far as Biomechanics goes, it isn't stressed as much as you think it would be. Most programs cover it in depth, but it is usually one-two classes. And the PT's that I worked for never used it on a daily basis (yet again, dependent upon the PT that you shadow/work with).

As for your question about cupping/dry needling... That is usually performed by the PT, because of the time commitment. If someone knows more info about this particular question, please correct me.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks gypsy,
I'm actually more interested in the non-invasive approach to sports medicine and seeing the body as a whole as opposed to specific regions. I was using biomech as an example of something PTs may have more training in. Is there anything else sports med physicians may be less well-versed in when it comes to therapies?

Preach it brother. I've got the exact same sports medicine philosophy, but unsure of DPT or MD/DO. Ex-athlete here, just my experience that integrated unit thinking is a more effective approach. Would you mind sharing which route you've gone down, as well as any advice for someone who shares the same medical sentiment?

Thanks gypsy,

Have you looked into PM&R? I switched from pre-PT to pre-med after shadowing a sports med doc. Just shadowed a pm&r (sports med/pain specialty) and it was fantastic. He literally describes it as non-invasive ortho. Lots of sports medicine obviously because thats what he specialized in but he has a profound understanding of therapeutic techniques (although he does not do them himself) and he is a DO so does OMM often on patients. The pain medicine aspect of his specialty give him a boarder spectrum of patients/practicing medicine and is more medicine heavy than PT would be. I know this doesn't answer your question but might be helpful

Preach it brother. I've got the exact same sports medicine philosophy, but unsure of DPT or MD/DO. Ex-athlete here, just my experience that integrated unit thinking is a more effective approach. Would you mind sharing which route you've gone down, as well as any advice for someone who shares the same medical sentiment?

Ex-athlete D1 basketball here too. Shoot me a DM, will walk you through how I decided.

Okay... Take what I have to say with a grain of salt. I am an ex-DPT student turned pre-med. And Like @DO2015CA said above, there isn't much PT's can do that sports med physicians "CAN'T." Now, here is a list of the differences in techniques that may help: As a sports med physician you can prescribe medications, perform osteopathic manipulative medicine, order X-rays (PT's currently cannot do this, except in a few states), and a whole list of other things. The Physician I shadowed was in charge of the football team and basketball team. So he didn't have a lot of time for cupping/dry needling.

As a DPT your scope of practice is different... You can perform muscle energy technique's, prescribe an exercise program, use different types of technology such as: aqua treadmills, TENS units, traction units, and certain clinics use bioxdex isokinetic testing machines (this is where biomechanics comes in handy), and one-on-one patient time is much longer. Now, as far as Biomechanics goes, it isn't stressed as much as you think it would be. Most programs cover it in depth, but it is usually one-two classes. And the PT's that I worked for never used it on a daily basis (yet again, dependent upon the PT that you shadow/work with).

As for your question about cupping/dry needling... That is usually performed by the PT, because of the time commitment. If someone knows more info about this particular question, please correct me.
Ok, I'm of the vintage where Im developing a relationship with my physical therapist. One thing I noticed and queried her about was spinal manipulation, which I observed her doing, rather poorly
She said they get training in manipulative medicine as students. I was unaware.
With respect to scope of practice, Sports Med Docs handle all the non surgical aspects, minor fractures, concussions, sprains, rehab post surgery, etc. They are basically the team PCP
I believe this will be beyond the scope of practice for any Doctorate of PT. IMO. Good luck and best wishes !

From a practical perspective you’ll make way more money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk