Drexel Ims

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camisho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who here has done or is in the Drexel IMS program? How hard is it to get A's and A-'s?

Members don't see this ad.

As difficult as it is to get As & A-s in med school.

The courses IMS students take are the very same courses the DUCOM MS1's take, and you must still manage your time and set your priorities like a med student would. The IMS students I tutored the year after I finished the program were all somewhat stunned at the difficulty of the program; they thought it would be easier than "real medical school" (their words, not mine).

Bottom line, doable but not a cakewalk; you'll need put in the work to get As/A-s.

hey denali ..how competitive is program, do they accept almost everyone or they're very selective?

on a scale from 1 to 10 , with 10 being hardest

Members don't see this ad :)
Toxin-

I would say on a one to ten scale, competitiveness for getting into the program is about six. The program by no means accepts anyone who can write the tuition checks--there are prerequisites; however, it is a post-bacc program designed to help people improve their credentials.

Objective measure-wise, they look roughly for students with MCATs >=27 and say a 3.0-3.3 GPA; appropriate EC's & community service/other health experiences are required as well. While I was there class size was approx. 100: 80 direct admits + 20 students continuing on for a second year after the MSP program. Also it is rolling admissions starting around March.

FWIW, I was happy with my experiences in both the IMS & MMS programs.

HTH,

thnx denali ..... ru finshing the program or ur already in medschool

I finished IMS in 2002 and stayed on for the second (MMS) year while applying to med school. I matriculated at USUHS this past fall.

let's say you successfully do the one-year IMS program, apply to drexel med, and get accepted. do you have to re-take the MS1 classes that you already completed?

Originally posted by nibrocli
let's say you successfully do the one-year IMS program, apply to drexel med, and get accepted. do you have to re-take the MS1 classes that you already completed?

Yeah, I wanted to know this too. Also, how good is the finaid package? How many of the ppl actually get into med school?

I am considering applying for fall.

For those who are accepted to Drexel, most will only place out of histology as this is a very time consuming course and is not highly tested on the boards. You can test out of bichem and physio I believe, but most choose to re-take these. Im not sure what the options are if you attend a medical school other than Drexel. I know that Im required to take all of the first year courses at Jeff.

I would also like to add that IMS is not the program you want to do if you have MCATs below 27 and a high end GPA. For some reason, the people at Drexel have admitted some peolpe in this position and they are having problems getting into schools. The program you want to do in this case is the MSP. This is designed to help you get better MCAT scores. Most of these people who continue into the IMS program find it easy to obtain an acceptance. Good luck to everyone applying. Remember to start your application to med school EARLY. You wont have any time to do this when classes start in Aug.

Originally posted by nibrocli

just thought i'd post the email reply i received from the drexel ims program:

"Students will need to retake these courses whether they attend Drexel or another medical school. However, if a B or better is earned in a course, students may try to exempt out of the class once they have an acceptance at a medical school.
Laura Mangano"