Drexel MSP 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

delphstar2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'll be in the Drexel MSP for the 2012-2013 cycle and wanted to start a new thread as my perusal of the forums here doesn't look like anyone has started a thread yet for this year's Post Bacc class, so I started this one. Has anyone else been accepted, yet? Have you decided to be in the program after you received acceptance? We can also discuss curricula, housing, schedules, whatever here... Looking forward to talking to you all :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious, what were your stats? Thinking about applying...

Also really curious of your stats! Wow you got accepted already, I'm planning on applying just have to work out my LORs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone in the program looking for a roommate? If so please PM me. Thanks.

I got an interview request today. What was your interview like/ how would you suggest I prepare? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I received confirmation that I was accepted to the program today. Message me for roommates.

Wat up everyone. I am currently in the MSP program so if anyone has any questions about the program, Philly, etc. feel free to ask here or PM me. The program keeps us extremely busy so I apologize in advance if I do not reply right away. Good luck to everyone applying.

Start dates are July 31 for Orientation and then August 6 for classes.

Wat up everyone. I am currently in the MSP program so if anyone has any questions about the program, Philly, etc. feel free to ask here or PM me. The program keeps us extremely busy so I apologize in advance if I do not reply right away. Good luck to everyone applying.

Is the MSP program the same as the PMED program?? Thats what Im applying too. Just wondering how the linkage agreement works and how the rigorous the program is (Believe it or not, I'm looking for a hard program)? If you meet a minimum GPA and MCAT in the program, are you into Drexel med?? Thanks!

No. They are separate programs. PMED is for career changers who never took pre-reqs in college. When are you looking to apply to the program?

I am going to send in my application and materials this week or next for Fall 2012 entry. Hopefully I get in!! Otherwise, I will probably just take the classes on my own at a 4 year institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the MSP program the same as the PMED program?? Thats what Im applying too. Just wondering how the linkage agreement works and how the rigorous the program is (Believe it or not, I'm looking for a hard program)? If you meet a minimum GPA and MCAT in the program, are you into Drexel med?? Thanks!

Premed501 is right. The PMED program is different than MSP. MSP nor IMS guarantee you a spot at Drexel Med. DPMS does, however. MSP is specifically for those who need the most work on their MCAT score. The program also gives you an advantage over regular IMS applications since the IMS program is the 2nd year for MSP even though it is called MBS. If you do well in your IMS classes for the first semester (B average) without dropping any of them, then you get a guaranteed interview at Drexel Med in January.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I just wanted to ask those who have been accepted already what kind of turn around there was on submitting your application then getting the interview then getting a yes or no. Maybe some insights on the interview? Thank in advance! I just got confirmation from the drexelmed office last week that all of my application stuff is in so now I am playing the waiting game.

I got an email today from Drexel saying that after an initial review they think I would be a better fit for IHS. Not so sure I agree with that. Has that happened to anyone else yet?

It happened to me by accident (initially they put my application in the wrong program). But usually they are correct and try and place you in programs where you would be best suited or more competitive as an applicant.

Hi everyone! I submitted my application on the 19th of this month. How competitive is this program??

How is Drexel with helping students pay for tuition? Besides the usual government loans/grants, is there a way to cover all the expenses without working? Or do I just need to save up money before going.

You will have to get the typical loans for tuition and probably a graduate plus loan for housing and expenses. Unless you are the type who doesn't have to study much to get good grades and don't need to use every other waking moment to study mcat, you won't have time for a job. They work us like crazy in this program. Not that it's a bad thing though.

Last edited:
I just got accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: still waiting on other programs though, but I'm SO excited that I DEF have something for the fall as good as a program as this one!! I can't believe it!! good luck to everyone else!!!! :thumbup:

I was just invited for a telephone interview!:D For those who have been accepted , what types of questions were you asked? Please PM me any info!!!!!:)

I just got accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: still waiting on other programs though, but I'm SO excited that I DEF have something for the fall as good as a program as this one!! I can't believe it!! good luck to everyone else!!!! :thumbup:

Congratulations!! How long did it take you to hear from them after your interview?

thanks! I applied February 28th, was contacted around March 22-23, had my phone interview 3/26, and got accepted april 5th. So about two weeks when they got back to me? The phone interview (for anyone wanting to know more) was pretty relaxed and free-flowing, its the usual why do you want to do this program, discussing your extracurriculars and research, how will this program improve your status to med school and related, etc. They are really looking for people with great extracurriculars and outside commitment kind of things which I have, just totally bombed the MCAT which is why I would like to do this program :)

What are my chances if I apply now for fall 2012 with a 24 MCAT, sGPA 3.3 cGPA 3.4
2 Publications, Strong LOR and ECs.

Hello everyone, just got an email requesting an interview. Can someone let me know what were the specific question asked?

just got accepted to the program...if looking for a roommate pm as well...I'm ready to get the ball rolling!

Hey everyone,

I'll be in the Drexel MSP for the 2012-2013 cycle and wanted to start a new thread as my perusal of the forums here doesn't look like anyone has started a thread yet for this year's Post Bacc class, so I started this one. Has anyone else been accepted, yet? Have you decided to be in the program after you received acceptance? We can also discuss curricula, housing, schedules, whatever here... Looking forward to talking to you all :)
RUN! That is my best advise, having just survived the MSP dz. Let me put it this way, you can get a one year masters somewhere else, even online (in anything) and pay a fourth of what they charge and look great on paper or you can do like I did and confuse desperation for hope and destroy any chance of getting into medical school and have a huge debt to show for it and, if you work hard, a "certificate" to show what a fool you are. All I need was 2 points on the MCAT...now I have nothing. All they want to do is profit off your hope. Be smart, smarter than me.

Question: I had my telephone interview on 4/19/2012 and I haven't heard anything back yet. Does anyone know how long it take the committee to notify you with their decision? Thanks!

I had my interview late march and I still havent heard anything. I called them last week and they told me I should have a response in a week...havent heard anything yet .....

Question: I had my telephone interview on 4/19/2012 and I haven't heard anything back yet. Does anyone know how long it take the committee to notify you with their decision? Thanks!

Hey,
I just want to get a general idea about your experience with the MSP program...do you feel like it was a great choice for you...did it prepare you well to retake the MCAT exam and give you the confidence to apply to medical school while attending the IMS program if that is the route you took. Looking back at it, do you feel that the MSP truly helped and what are you future plans at this point?? Thanks a bunch!

I just want to get a general idea about your experience with the MSP program...do you feel like it was a great choice for you...did it prepare you well to retake the MCAT exam and give you the confidence to apply to medical school while attending the IMS program if that is the route you took. Looking back at it, do you feel that the MSP truly helped and what are you future plans at this point?? Thanks a bunch

I just want to get a general idea about your experience with the MSP program...do you feel like it was a great choice for you...did it prepare you well to retake the MCAT exam and give you the confidence to apply to medical school while attending the IMS program if that is the route you took. Looking back at it, do you feel that the MSP truly helped and what are you future plans at this point?? Thanks a bunch

Sorry this is so long...I just wanted to give you as realistic a perspective as possible. I really enjoyed the MSP Program and thought it helped me work on my mcat and take rigorous classes that gave me an idea of how much and how efficiently I will need to study in the MBS program this fall (even though I know it will be even harder). I have to say, each individual's experience is what you make of it, though. I noticed someone in my class above made some negative comments about the program. I cannot say they did not work hard enough because I don't know his/her situation, but generally speaking I would say if you work your butt off more than you ever have before, you will be happy with your results in this program. For example, I know people in my program who studied quite a bit, but not a ridiculous amount of time. These people also may have waited until 2nd semester to get serious about studying for the mcat as well. This may not sound like such a bad thing, but it is probably the worst thing you can do in this program. As soon as our evening mcat classes started in mid-september, I hit the ground running and did mcat studying 6 days per week (2-3 hours per day). The vast majority of time outside of class, I was studying for classes or doing mcat. It took a lot of sacrifice, but I also had a very active social life as well. I went out quite a bit first semester, but had to calm down during second semester because the work-load is even more.

The reason I say it's such a bad idea to study quite a bit but not a ridiculous amount is because unless you are one of those students who doesn't have to study much at all, you will need to study your butt off to excel at these classes. The first month and a half of class gives you a false sense of hope that things will be easy because you dont have mcat class taking up 6-8:30pm 3 days per week and your exams wont start until about 3-4 weeks into the semester. Then it gets crazy when you realize you have 1 test scheduled every week for the rest of the semester (doesnt sound that bad but it basically means you never take your foot off the gas). Then you get to 2nd semester and realize that 1st semester gave you a false sense of hope that things would be the same because during 2nd semester, although you have fewer classes, you will have to work even harder to do well. The problem with those people who waited until 2nd semester to start studying mcat is basically what I just said, there is not as much time during 2nd semester due to the rigor of both your anatomy and physiology classes, especially anatomy. During 2nd semester, I found myself having to wake up a few hours before our 10am classes just to squeeze in a few hours of mcat whereas during 1st semester I could make time during my day. I dont mean to make this program sound like all you do is work, but in my opinion this is what you are in the program for. You need to work harder than you ever have because you are in a bad situation with your mcat or gpa or both. But, like I said, you work hard, you party hard. So, yes I really found this program helpful in preparing me for MBS. For the mcat, I personally feel it is all up to you. If you merely go to mcat class, take notes, and do a little mcat studying here and there over the year, you will probably be disappointed with your mcat score. However, if you make a schedule and stick with it (it makes it easier if you form an mcat study group with a couple of your classmates), you will more than likely be happy with your results).

Future plans: I am currently working on my application for medical school and will be ready to submit in early June. After the academically craziest, yet most rewarding year of school, I am relaxing this summer while fulfilling the 80 hour research requirement for the MBS program.

Hope all this helps. If you or anyone else has any more questions please ask. I received a lot of inside info from MSPers in the year before me and it really helped me out, so I am glad to do the same for the new MSPers. And dont feel as if you are pestering me...I have plenty of free time right now.

hey all,

I'm looking into the IMS program, but my stats aren't as competitive with my MCAT not being close to 27. Do you think it'd be better to apply to the IMS program and have them change me to MPS or just go straight to the MPS program? thanks

hey all,

I'm looking into the IMS program, but my stats aren't as competitive with my MCAT not being close to 27. Do you think it'd be better to apply to the IMS program and have them change me to MPS or just go straight to the MPS program? thanks

Just my personal opinion, but why are you even considering IMS if your mcat is that low? If you need mcat repair, then MSP sounds like it is the program for you. Mcat studying during the IMS year just doesn't seem feasible considering you are essentially a 1st year med student (except you dont take gross anatomy or clinical skills courses). You just won't have time. I think it makes more sense to pursue the program that will address your personal needs and at this time, IMS cannot do that.

Sorry this is so long...I just wanted to give you as realistic a perspective as possible. I really enjoyed the MSP Program and thought it helped me work on my mcat and take rigorous classes that gave me an idea of how much and how efficiently I will need to study in the MBS program this fall (even though I know it will be even harder). I have to say, each individual's experience is what you make of it, though. I noticed someone in my class above made some negative comments about the program. I cannot say they did not work hard enough because I don't know his/her situation, but generally speaking I would say if you work your butt off more than you ever have before, you will be happy with your results in this program. For example, I know people in my program who studied quite a bit, but not a ridiculous amount of time. These people also may have waited until 2nd semester to get serious about studying for the mcat as well. This may not sound like such a bad thing, but it is probably the worst thing you can do in this program. As soon as our evening mcat classes started in mid-september, I hit the ground running and did mcat studying 6 days per week (2-3 hours per day). The vast majority of time outside of class, I was studying for classes or doing mcat. It took a lot of sacrifice, but I also had a very active social life as well. I went out quite a bit first semester, but had to calm down during second semester because the work-load is even more.

The reason I say it's such a bad idea to study quite a bit but not a ridiculous amount is because unless you are one of those students who doesn't have to study much at all, you will need to study your butt off to excel at these classes. The first month and a half of class gives you a false sense of hope that things will be easy because you dont have mcat class taking up 6-8:30pm 3 days per week and your exams wont start until about 3-4 weeks into the semester. Then it gets crazy when you realize you have 1 test scheduled every week for the rest of the semester (doesnt sound that bad but it basically means you never take your foot off the gas). Then you get to 2nd semester and realize that 1st semester gave you a false sense of hope that things would be the same because during 2nd semester, although you have fewer classes, you will have to work even harder to do well. The problem with those people who waited until 2nd semester to start studying mcat is basically what I just said, there is not as much time during 2nd semester due to the rigor of both your anatomy and physiology classes, especially anatomy. During 2nd semester, I found myself having to wake up a few hours before our 10am classes just to squeeze in a few hours of mcat whereas during 1st semester I could make time during my day. I dont mean to make this program sound like all you do is work, but in my opinion this is what you are in the program for. You need to work harder than you ever have because you are in a bad situation with your mcat or gpa or both. But, like I said, you work hard, you party hard. So, yes I really found this program helpful in preparing me for MBS. For the mcat, I personally feel it is all up to you. If you merely go to mcat class, take notes, and do a little mcat studying here and there over the year, you will probably be disappointed with your mcat score. However, if you make a schedule and stick with it (it makes it easier if you form an mcat study group with a couple of your classmates), you will more than likely be happy with your results).

Future plans: I am currently working on my application for medical school and will be ready to submit in early June. After the academically craziest, yet most rewarding year of school, I am relaxing this summer while fulfilling the 80 hour research requirement for the MBS program.

Hope all this helps. If you or anyone else has any more questions please ask. I received a lot of inside info from MSPers in the year before me and it really helped me out, so I am glad to do the same for the new MSPers. And dont feel as if you are pestering me...I have plenty of free time right now.
Weezynation, do you mind if I ask to which other programs of the like you applied and what made you choose this one over the others? It doesn't seem like it, but do you regret your decision? Drexel is on top of my list, but I am still waiting from Tufts, Boston and Georgetown (Tufts and Georgetown are still missing an LOR I requested MONTHS ago and Boston is just...lagging).

To put it simply, I guess my question is, would you suggest I just go with Drexel, given that the deposit is due May 22, or would you wait for the other schools? I can keep (politely) harassing the physician who owes me the last letter or just go to another person for one.

The one school I have a very hard time letting go is Tufts because they also offer MCAT support and they seem to have smaller class sizes--> more individualized attention. On the other hand, their tuition seems to be double than Drexel's.

I'd really rather NOT spend the 500$ deposit if I'm not sure I will not attend Drexel, but if I must, then I suppose I am willing to do it as I do not want to lose my spot.

Anyway, any comments/suggestions/opinions would be MUCH appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

Thank you so much for your in-depth response. It gives great insight on what to expect and how to approach the program. If you wouldn't mind can you please go into some detail about the curriculum...how difficult or similar the biochemistry course first semester is compared to an undergraduate biochem or cell bio course and would you recommend doing some slight review of anything in particular to better prepare for first day of classes. Thanks again!

Weezynation, do you mind if I ask to which other programs of the like you applied and what made you choose this one over the others? It doesn't seem like it, but do you regret your decision? Drexel is on top of my list, but I am still waiting from Tufts, Boston and Georgetown (Tufts and Georgetown are still missing an LOR I requested MONTHS ago and Boston is just...lagging).

To put it simply, I guess my question is, would you suggest I just go with Drexel, given that the deposit is due May 22, or would you wait for the other schools? I can keep (politely) harassing the physician who owes me the last letter or just go to another person for one.

The one school I have a very hard time letting go is Tufts because they also offer MCAT support and they seem to have smaller class sizes--> more individualized attention. On the other hand, their tuition seems to be double than Drexel's.

I'd really rather NOT spend the 500$ deposit if I'm not sure I will not attend Drexel, but if I must, then I suppose I am willing to do it as I do not want to lose my spot.

Anyway, any comments/suggestions/opinions would be MUCH appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

Firstly, no I do not regret my decision to do the MSP program; however, this was the only program I applied to. I knew I needed a program that would focus on working on my mcat, and MSP is one of the few programs out there that does this. I honestly did not know what I would be doing that next year whether it be to work another year or go to school, so I just decided to apply in late May and see what happens. Luckily, after submitting my application I was given an interview 2 weeks later and was accepted the day after my interview. So it was a very quick process for me and it seemed like it would be a good idea to pursue, so I did.

As for your situation, I wish I could give you advice on which program to attend but I can't because I know nothing about the other programs you applied to. I would call Drexel to see if you can make that deposit to hold your spot and get it back if you choose to attend another program. I'm sure you probably will be able to get your money back, but you should make sure first. If this is the case, I would make the deposit for Drexel to hold that spot in the MSP class just in case you don't get accepted to the other programs or feel as if MSP would be a better fit for you.

Thank you so much for your in-depth response. It gives great insight on what to expect and how to approach the program. If you wouldn't mind can you please go into some detail about the curriculum...how difficult or similar the biochemistry course first semester is compared to an undergraduate biochem or cell bio course and would you recommend doing some slight review of anything in particular to better prepare for first day of classes. Thanks again!

Another ridiculously long post lol:

One of the most important things you will learn in this year is HOW to study. This year will be good preparation for your study skills in medical school. This is coming from people I know who did MSP and took med school classes in MBS this year. They said there will still be a learning curve for med school classes, but you will be so much more prepared by being in MSP.

Fall semester classes: 2 undergraduate courses (General Chemistry and Physics 1) and 3 graduate level courses (Biochemistry & Cell Bio, Pharmacology, and Community Dimensions of Medicine). You will also take a Lab course unless you've already done research before so you would be exempt. So you take 2 undergrad review classes (supposed to help with the mcat) and the 2 graduate level science courses (the community dimensions class is an easy "A" course as long as you participate in discussions).

Spring semester classes: 2 undergrad (Organic Chemistry and Physics 2) and 2 graduate level courses (anatomy and physiology). Anatomy is one of the most time intensive courses you will probably ever take. Physiology is pretty time intensive too.

On top of all of this, you have Princeton Review mcat class 3 days per week from 6-8:30pm for both semesters. This class runs from mid-september to early april. Overall, if you are on top of your studying throughout this year, you will feel like there are never enough hours in the day to accomplish what you need to.

Class Breakdown:

MCAT class: like I said, 3 times per week 6-8:30pm. Princeton Review. Class is required (you can miss at most 2 per mcat section per semester (2 biological sciences absences, 2 physical sciences absences, and 2 verbal sciences absences). Like I said above, putting in the work outside of mcat class is what will get you a good score and start going hard in september. Do not wait until the spring semester.

Lab Course: Like I said above, if you've done research before, you will be exempt from this class. I know you may think, "Even though I've done research this could be an easy A to boost my graduate gpa." Firstly, in hearing from my friends' experiences who took the class, it is not an easy A. Secondly, I feel as if they were forever working on lab reports. You have more than enough studying with your other classes and mcat so if you can avoid this class, I would recommend it.

GChem/Orgo: GChem is fine. It will be easy because of the professor. You may feel as if it is a little watered down from your undergrad GChem course and it is, but I felt this was a good thing. You cover the topics in a manner that is beneficial for the mcat. For example, he won't have you doing hundreds of the most difficult stoichiometry problems because will you be doing that on the mcat? Nope. Orgo...all I can say is good luck. lol. Same professor and he's not the best teacher at it to be honest. This is the one course in MSP I felt was lacking, but luckily I was very strong at Orgo in college so I did not have a problem. My friends who hated Orgo in college actually did pretty well because I taught a lot of it to them and our TA for Orgo was amazing. Whoever your TA for Orgo is (someone from my MSP class), I'm sure they will be great in helping you.

Physics: I'll make this brief. If you like (and are good at) Physics, Dr. Carchidi will take you to the next level in your understanding of Physics...so I've heard. lol. For people like me who hate Physics more than pretty much anything, you will need to work your butt off. I had to make the trek to UPenn to his office quite a few times to even begin to understand this man's method of teaching.

For the graduate science courses, I will tell you up front...I was an Humanities major in college, took only one upper level science course (Cell & Molec Bio), took time off after college, and jumped right into these classes. So basically, if I can do well with my background, you should be able to as well. I obviously cannot compare them to prior experiences with these courses since I never took them.

Biochem: If you study your butt off and know everything, you should do fine. Focus on the study guides she provides, but know as much as you can going into a given exam.

Pharmacology: This is a grueling course. There are only 3 tests and that's it for your grade, so you need to go hard with this class. First test: not bad, about 50 drugs (mechanism of action, adverse effects, etc) and a lot of content. Second test: this test was a beast...about 130 drugs and a lot of content as well. My mistake with this test was thinking because there were so many more drugs than on the first test, I needed to focus mostly on them and not as much on the content. This was not the case. Know the drugs, but know the content even better. Third test: about 100 drugs and a lot of content.

Community Dimensions: an easy 2 credit "A" is much welcomed with your other tough graduate courses. In order to get this A, do the few bs assignments, participate in class regularly, and do your community service. In this class, you will have interesting discussions with your classmates about healthcare in regards to race, socioeconomic status, etc. You are required to have a 40 hour community service commitment this semester for this course as well. 40 hours does not sound like a lot, but considering how busy you will be it is not easy. I recommend finding 2 places to do community service if one of your places does not allow for a lot of hours.

Physio: If you study your butt off, you will see Dr. Hurley as an amazing professor who truly cares about her students. If you don't, you will probably hate her. lol. She is a great professor who will really make you know your stuff. Record the lectures, relisten to them and make sure you write down practically everything she says. And don't be that person who doesn't look intensively at charts and graphs in lecture slides. Know them well. Her tests are very applicative. So do not just memorize facts, understand the concepts and overarching idea of everything. This is how well you will need to know her stuff; she will give you a particular question and these will be these multiple choice answer possibilities:

a. trypsin
b. CCK
c. secretin
d. pepsin
e. 2 of these
f. 3 of these
g. all of the above
h. none of the above

The letter answers "e" and "f" are the tricky aspect to her tests because at least for me, I am used to that saying "a and b" or "c and d" or whatever. Basically the way she does it does not narrow down the answer for you at all, so you have to know your stuff. A lot of her questions are like this. Like I said though, she will prepare you for this and if you work your butt off, you will handle these questions well.

Anatomy: The killer. Dr. Minugh Purvis (head of IHS program) teaches this class and like physio, if you work harder than you ever have before, you will love her. If not, you will absolutely hate her. This woman knows her stuff. She taught gross anatomy at UPenn's dental and med school, so be prepared. She throws a med school amount of material at you (approximately). I say that because my girlfriend (who is a med student) saw what I was doing and agreed that it was pretty much on that level. You must listen to recordings and know EVERY SINGLE THING. EVERYTHING. The textbook for this class is useless unless for a reference. Get your content knowledge from her lectures and get your anatomical structure knowledge from your atlas. The atlas is your best friend in this class, not the textbook. This class is difficult for so many reasons. Firstly, there are no pictures on the exams. You need to look at your atlas enough to know where things are in your head. This requires studying every single view of a particular structure in your atlas. On top of that, she's not just gonna ask you simply what that structure is, she wants you to incorporate all your information together so you must know where something is in relation to where everything else is. For example, she's not gonna be like: where is the internal carotid artery? She will want to know: when the internal carotid enters the skull thru the petrous portion of the temporal bone and runs by the cavernous sinus, what nerve is immediately lateral to it? So be prepared for stuff like that. Also, you need to know your stuff in and out because, for example, on the head and neck exam, she will have a question like this:

In the neck:

a. the internal carotid runs through it medial to the external carotid
b. muscle "a" is medial to muscle "b"
c. muscle c elevates the hyoid bone
d. the thyroid cartilage is a derivative of the 2nd pharyngeal arch

This is difficult because her questions are so broad. "In the neck:" means for this particular question, you will need to know every single thing about the entire neck to answer it. On top of that, sometimes she will give you "a-c" which she lectured on but you will look at "d" and wonder if she ever mentioned anything about it in lecture. In your head, you know "a-c" is wrong, but you have no idea about "d." The thing is, even if she never talked about something or it wasn't something you should know from staring at your atlas for hours, the fact that she taught about "a-c" and didn't teach "d" means you should be able to eliminate "a-c" and choose "d" as the correct answer. Don't be psyched out by all of this because if you know everything, you will be fine. All of her questions are prompts like the one above..."in regards to the internal carotid:" "in the head:" "regarding cranial nerve VIII:"

Like I said, you will probably need to get in a habit of recording lectures and relistening to them. I, and pretty much every other MSP student, relistened to every lecture for the graduate science courses (except biochem and some pharm lectures depending on who was lecturing that day) and took extensive notes based on this. This is especially crucial for anatomy and physiology because practically every single word that comes out of their mouths will be important and fair-game on the exam. Recording lectures for the undergrad classes and the graduate community dimensions of medicine class are NOT necessary. That would be a waste of time as you will find out. Btw, you will probably think a little of this info seems weird once you hear that the physio professor doesnt allow to students to record her lectures and the anatomy professor does not allow students to print her slides. However, the physio teacher's exams are so ridiculously detailed and based off of every little thing she says so you would be dumb not to record her lectures just because she asks you not to. One of my friends wanted to respect her wishes, so he stopped recording; however, he still got all the recordings from me because he knew he needed them to do well. lol. As for the lecture slides in anatomy, she has some lock on the slides so you cannot print them, but our class quickly found PDF Pirate which unlocks that restriction so we could print the slides. I would say that printing anatomy slides isnt necessary if you record lectures and just follow the lecture slides as you review your notes, but recording physio lectures is 100% necessary.

Hope this helps. And like I said, do not let this overwhelm you. Not trying to boast, as someone with my science background, I felt these classes were very tough because of all of the intense studying I had to do, but I felt as if the exams were fairly easy. This was only because I worked my butt off though, so if you do the same you will be fine.

And to answer your second question, if anything I would do some light mcat studying this summer. I would not recommend pre-studying for the classes because you will be fine starting in august. Do not go too hard with the mcat studying though...you do not want to burn yourself out as soon as you start classes because you were studying too hard over the summer. You will need a lot of endurance this school year, so pace yourself this summer.

Reactions: 1 user
Firstly, no I do not regret my decision to do the MSP program; however, this was the only program I applied to. I knew I needed a program that would focus on working on my mcat, and MSP is one of the few programs out there that does this. I honestly did not know what I would be doing that next year whether it be to work another year or go to school, so I just decided to apply in late May and see what happens. Luckily, after submitting my application I was given an interview 2 weeks later and was accepted the day after my interview. So it was a very quick process for me and it seemed like it would be a good idea to pursue, so I did.

As for your situation, I wish I could give you advice on which program to attend but I can't because I know nothing about the other programs you applied to. I would call Drexel to see if you can make that deposit to hold your spot and get it back if you choose to attend another program. I'm sure you probably will be able to get your money back, but you should make sure first. If this is the case, I would make the deposit for Drexel to hold that spot in the MSP class just in case you don't get accepted to the other programs or feel as if MSP would be a better fit for you.
Thank you so much for your response. The deposit is non-refundable, which is why I'm having such a hard time with it, but I think I will go ahead and submit it as I really don't want to lose my spot.

I had a question about the staff...based on your comments above, it seems like most of the professors are pretty great and want us to succeed..is that a fair assumption? I had read in other forums that in the MSP the classes are telecast...do they still do that and how did you feel about it? How are the advisors there? Do you get much support for the whole medical school application process?

One last thing: out of curiosity, did you end up continuing on to MBS? If so, how is it?

Again, thanks again for all the insight; it's all incredibly helpful!

Thank you so much for your response. The deposit is non-refundable, which is why I'm having such a hard time with it, but I think I will go ahead and submit it as I really don't want to lose my spot.

I had a question about the staff...based on your comments above, it seems like most of the professors are pretty great and want us to succeed..is that a fair assumption? I had read in other forums that in the MSP the classes are telecast...do they still do that and how did you feel about it? How are the advisors there? Do you get much support for the whole medical school application process?

One last thing: out of curiosity, did you end up continuing on to MBS? If so, how is it?

Again, thanks again for all the insight; it's all incredibly helpful!

That's wack. They should give you your money back. Oh well yeah it's better to solidify that spot instead of risking not being accepted anywhere else.

Yes most of the professors are great. They all are very helpful and want to see you do well, but obviously some are better professors than others. In reference to the telecast, you are confusing MSP with the IMS/MBS program. This is the program where you take med school classes with Drexel's first year med students. Advisors are good. You have to be proactive and seek them out though if you need advice and support. It is not like undergrad. With the med school application process, once again you must be proactive to get the amount of support you need. I did not feel the need to get any support because I knew the only problem with the application was my mcat.

As for MBS, I just finished MSP a couple weeks ago and I got the gpa I needed to be accepted into the MBS program, so I do not know how it is yet but I hear it is essentially med school, so it's gonna be tough. The only classes you do not take that drexel med students take are gross anatomy, medical genetics, and their clinical skills classes obviously. I forgot to add above that I've heard the anatomy class for MSP will give you a great foundation for anatomy in med school. You must get a 3.0 graduate gpa in order to matriculate to the MBS program.

Hey everyone, I just got accepted to the MSP program today! I got accepted to a few other programs, but I'm 95% sure that I will do MSP. Let me know if anyone is looking for a roommate. I'm a 24 year old male.

Last edited:
Hi All, I just also got accepted into the MSP program last week and am looking for an apartment and possible roommate. I am a female fresh out of undergrad and hoping to find an alum of the program who could lend me old books for the courses. Personally message me for more information.

Thanks and best wishes to those still waiting on your acceptance!

Also, for those who already completed the program, how much (in loans) did you spend on financing tuition and living expenses???

Hey everyone!

I'm a 26 year old female just accepted to MSP last week. Ii'll be relocating from Boston and I'm looking for an apartment and a roommate. Excited to meet you all.

for any MSPers out there....Is it advisable to apply to med school during the MSP year? Does anyone apply to med school after just one year or do most go onto complete the MBS?

Hi All, I just also got accepted into the MSP program last week and am looking for an apartment and possible roommate. I am a female fresh out of undergrad and hoping to find an alum of the program who could lend me old books for the courses. Personally message me for more information.

Thanks and best wishes to those still waiting on your acceptance!

Also, for those who already completed the program, how much (in loans) did you spend on financing tuition and living expenses???

I had approximately $35,000 in loans for the year.

for any MSPers out there....Is it advisable to apply to med school during the MSP year? Does anyone apply to med school after just one year or do most go onto complete the MBS?

I do not know your specific situation, but if you are in MSP, then it's likely your current mcat score is an issue, so it wouldn't make sense to apply during your MSP year. Most people apply the summer after the MSP year. So while doing MBS, former MSPers are in the application cycle. As for most going on to complete MBS...I would say that most of those who meet the 3.0 graduate gpa requirement tend to move on to MBS. Those who just meet the 2.75 grad gpa requirement to get the MSP certificate are not allowed to do MBS, but they can do MIHS.