DRoP the WW sign ups and game thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So is this rider vs holder?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would imagine that thread may fall at random times. The riders will possibly have the ability to choose which holds to protect or not. If they are happy with the tithes offered, it is more likely they will choose to protect. If they are unhappy and have no way to support themselves, when thread falls, those holds that were withholding may suffer.

So do we or do we not want threads? Or does that even matter? The write-up seems like holders are disappointed but I thought they were harmful? Or do holders just want the riders to get off their lazy behinds and do something?
I think thread is bad, but holders no longer believe it exists since it's been so long since thread has fallen. I think they want to stop tithing to the dragon people because they no longer seem necessary.
I thought there was a third group of people the AIVAS mentioned too?
I would imagine that thread may fall at random times. The riders will possibly have the ability to choose which holds to protect or not. If they are happy with the tithes offered, it is more likely they will choose to protect. If they are unhappy and have no way to support themselves, when thread falls, those holds that were withholding may suffer.
Lmao based on my very general understanding of the book series I think people who don't tithe are gonna be screwed later in the game. I wonder if holds who don't tithe will have a member die when thread falls?

Then again, it also seems like the dragon people can still choose whether or not to protect holds even if we do tithe. I wonder if they wouldn't be able to protect anyone except themselves if they don't receive enough tithes?

A Red Star floats through our portion of the solar system occasionally and drops these Thread and their spore on our planet. While it only happens every 200 years, give or take, when the Thread does fall it destroys all organic matter in it's path. It is destroyed by fire or HNO3 and made grey and dead by water or extreme cold. It can burrow through dirt but cannot get through hard rock or metal.

I thought there was a third group of people the AIVAS mentioned too?
What I remember is the Hold Lords and their people, the Craftsmasters, the Harpers, the Dragon riders, and the Holdless. The last are kinda like Gypsies, but no theft stigma attached just the "these people are weird, what will they do if Thread falls?"

Hazelmoo has joined, and roster has been updated accordingly. :) Get talking!

Also, reminder that @killerleaf and @Zensing can be pulled if you have theme related questions. Also that this was posted during sign-ups: :p

Dragon Riders of Pern (DRoP) is based on the loved novels of Anne McCaffrey. While there are numerous books in the series, the events that follow will be limited to mostly the first three: Dragonflight, Dragonquest and The White Dragon. It is set on the planet Pern. Society is divided out into groups: the Holders - basically, landowners with responsibility for their lands and people; Guilds - tradespeople and guild members (crafts and trades); and the Weyrs - dragonriders and their wonderful beasts.

It is the duty of the Holders to tithe to the Weyr that is beholden to them. In return, the Weyr protects the Hold from the scourge of Thread. Thread are spores that fall from the Red Star at intervals. They are destructive; they will burn anything they touch. Dragon fire and water are the only things that will stop them. It is wearing on man and dragon to fight Thread, leaving no time to plant and tend crops; hence the system of tithing.

Due to the erratic orbit of the Red Star, intervals occur where no Thread falls. When the story opens, it has been twice as long as normal since the last "Pass". People have forgotten the old teaching songs, warning of the dangers of Thread, and the responsibilities of all. There are those that feel that there are no more Threads, and thus dragons need to just go away. Support for the Weyrs has diminished.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hazelmoo has joined, and roster has been updated accordingly. :) Get talking!

Also, reminder that @killerleaf and @Zensing can be pulled if you have theme related questions. Also that this was posted during sign-ups: :p
Don't tell me what to read or who to ask questions to! I'm going to throw my questions into the void and grumble when I get no response, just like everyone else!

Reactions: 6 users
It's going to take some getting used to seeing the word "thread" not mean the game thread...

I would put that asshat kylara as one. T'ron would also be a high possibility in trying to ruin things and kill F'Lar. That jerk holder Lord Meron is also up there for me.
....what is the average density of apostrophes per name for this series?

Reactions: 7 users
BoQQ7Dt.png

Funnily enough, saw this on imgur today

....what is the average density of apostrophes per name for this series?
:laugh:
At the time of Impression, male dragonriders' names are shortened with an apostrophe. This follows a tradition carried from the First Pass, as the dragons slurred the riders' names during Threadfall. For example, Famanoran became F'nor at his Impression.
:prof:

Reactions: 1 users
AIVAS:
(@killerleaf @Zensing )
Is there time travel in this series? I've been reading the wiki and they mention sending some characters back a certain number of turns but I can't quite tell if that's literal time travel or if they were just being dragon demoted or something.

Also, do the dragons have different abilities based on their colors in the books? Like are bronze dragons stronger than green ones?

Thank you in advance! :)

Hrm. I think I'll go ahead and get a lynch vote in there. Staying away from the two holds that had people with actions attempted on them for no real reason. I also am interested to see how she plays this go around, so

lynch katashark

Lynch lupin

Random.

Hrm. I think I'll go ahead and get a lynch vote in there. Staying away from the two holds that had people with actions attempted on them for no real reason. I also am interested to see how she plays this go around, so

lynch katashark

Actually, I was wondering if there was at least one wolf in my group. If our ability thief is a wolf, they would then know that I wasn't tithing/volunteering my ability last night which would make me a better target for thievery.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually, I was wondering if there was at least one wolf in my group. If our ability thief is a wolf, they would then know that I wasn't tithing/volunteering my ability last night which would make be a better target for thievery.
Definitely a possibility. I am entrusting that people will catch on to how the posts are in PMs for in depth analysis.

Is there time travel in this series? I've been reading the wiki and they mention sending some characters back a certain number of turns but I can't quite tell if that's literal time travel or if they were just being dragon demoted or something.

Also, do the dragons have different abilities based on their colors in the books? Like are bronze dragons stronger than green ones?
20160716_155229.jpg
From smallest to largest: green, blue, brown, bronze, and gold.
Greens are most common. Golds are queens. Most dragons run 25-40 meters long.
For comparison :

Attachments

• 20160716_154920.jpg
    20160716_154920.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 35
AIVAS:
(@killerleaf @Zensing )

Thank you in advance! :)

Time travel does exist.

Dragons can travel between to another location (teleportation) if the dragons or their riders are familiar with the coordinates. Going between without coordinates can lead to coming out in the middle of a mountain, killing both dragon and rider.

In the first book, Lessa accidentally discovered that dragons can travel between times if the rider or dragon knows the time well enough. However, traveling between times is very stressful for a rider, especially if traveling between to a time and place where the rider has been before.

Between is italicized in the books, and refers to the "zone" dragons and riders travel through when teleporting. It's extremely cold and absent of all other sensation. When traveling between places, the rider and dragon spend no more than about 3 seconds between. Traveling between times can take longer.

As for "turns", 1 turn = 1 year.

Dragon usually have the same abilities, but color denotes size and gender. My profile picture is actually a picture someone drew to illustrate the different sizes. Greens are the smallest females and are sterile. Blues are the smallest males. Browns are large males, Bronzes are the strongest and largest males, and Golds are the largest, fertile females. Traditionally, bronzes mate with golds during mating flights. All can fly and all can go between. All but Golds breathe fire by chewing firestone, but Golds do not because chewing firestone is supposed to make female dragons sterile.

Reactions: 3 users
This lore is quite involved...

Also, the first lynch is almost always just a **** show.

Lynch FFM

There's no reason. I just want to get a vote in since I'm going to my boyfriend's birthday barbecue. (Which I didn't get to see him at all yesterday because his beast of a mother is in town and monopolized him and god forbid we all spend time together. Don't get me ****ing started on that woman and the fact that it didn't occur to him to rectify the situation. I'll try to let you know I can't continue to play because I'm in jail for assault)

Reactions: 3 users
View attachment 206401From smallest to largest: green, blue, brown, bronze, and gold.
Greens are most common. Golds are queens. Most dragons run 25-40 meters long.
For comparison :

These books have pictures?! :heckyeah:

Time travel does exist.

Dragons can travel between to another location (teleportation) if the dragons or their riders are familiar with the coordinates. Going between without coordinates can lead to coming out in the middle of a mountain, killing both dragon and rider.

In the first book, Lessa accidentally discovered that dragons can travel between times if the rider or dragon knows the time well enough. However, traveling between times is very stressful for a rider, especially if traveling between to a time and place where the rider has been before.

Between is italicized in the books, and refers to the "zone" dragons and riders travel through when teleporting. It's extremely cold and absent of all other sensation. When traveling between places, the rider and dragon spend no more than about 3 seconds between. Traveling between times can take longer.

As for "turns", 1 turn = 1 year.

Dragon usually have the same abilities, but color denotes size and gender. My profile picture is actually a picture someone drew to illustrate the different sizes. Greens are the smallest females and are sterile. Blues are the smallest males. Browns are large males, Bronzes are the strongest and largest males, and Golds are the largest, fertile females. Traditionally, bronzes mate with golds during mating flights. All can fly and all can go between. All but Golds breathe fire by chewing firestone, but Golds do not because chewing firestone is supposed to make female dragons sterile.

I just ordered the 1st three books and they'll be here Tuesday. You guys are making me so excited to read this craziness.

These books have pictures?! :heckyeah:

I just ordered the 1st three books and they'll be here Tuesday. You guys are making me so excited to read this craziness.
Well, this one does:
20160715_220321.jpg
But it's kind of the idiot's guide book to the whole series.

All but Golds breathe fire by chewing firestone, but Golds do not because chewing firestone is supposed to make female dragons sterile.
Does this mean that gold dragons are not involved in fighting the thread? I was under the impression that part of the point of the dragons is that their flames destroy the thread - does that mean that gold dragons are predominantly kept so that new dragons may be bred rather than for thread fighting purposes?

Does this mean that gold dragons are not involved in fighting the thread? I was under the impression that part of the point of the dragons is that their flames destroy the thread - does that mean that gold dragons are predominantly kept so that new dragons may be bred rather than for thread fighting purposes?
I thought I read on the wiki that a couple people ride the gold ones though?

I know she said there would be a lot of abilities this game, but this setup sounds like there are no vanillagers.

Maybe the dragon riders are vanilla, since they are so dependent on everyone else? I wonder if tithed abilities can be used by them.

Time travel does exist.

I'm curious to see if this ability will relate to the abilities of the dragons/riders in the game. As in dragon/rider can track, redirect, etc as an ability

If not, we still can't be sure if any of the tithers (is that a word?) pm'd the mods and said not to tithe

Agreed. I was more curious if any groups willingly withheld as an experiment to gauge the consequences of not tithing. Though it's sounding from speculation like we might not know the effects until thread falls, so...

Actually, I was wondering if there was at least one wolf in my group. If our ability thief is a wolf, they would then know that I wasn't tithing/volunteering my ability last night which would make me a better target for thievery.

Anyone in particular you're leaning toward based on your hold convo?

Since it seems that a dragon and their rider bond pretty tightly in the series I think it would be a safe prediction that they are tied together in the game as well. If they are vanilla, that would also make sense. Thus they would be tied to the dragon who has an ability

Maybe the dragon riders are vanilla, since they are so dependent on everyone else? I wonder if tithed abilities can be used by them.
My guess is that they probably would be able to use the tithed abilities and that they may have some sort of random ability that can only be used during threadfall (as in, the ability to protect a group from death by thread)
Since it seems that a dragon and their rider bond pretty tightly in the series I think it would be a safe prediction that they are tied together in the game as well. If they are vanilla, that would also make sense. Thus they would be tied to the dragon who has an ability

I can see this, but I can also see this making a ton of characters in the game as you would essentially have two roles for every time a dragonrider was introduced to the game. I was under the impression that there are also just random villager type people who live in the holds or are craftspeople, who would have to have roles as well, in which case having a glut of rider/dragon roles could make it difficult to include them in the game. It's possible that the roles are split up for the really important riders/dragons and combined for some of the less important pairs.

A-little-less-boring (but-not-much) Day 1 Lynch tally
SOV 1 (LIS)
LIS 1 (SOV)
Kata 1 (Lupin)
Lupin 1 (html)
FFM 1 (Abney)

5/28 votes
Lynch deadline 9PM CST/10PM real time

@Flim Flam Man you need to vote for someone playing. :p

Agreed. I was more curious if any groups willingly withheld as an experiment to gauge the consequences of not tithing. Though it's sounding from speculation like we might not know the effects until thread falls, so...

Anyone in particular you're leaning toward based on your hold convo?

Our group had very little conversation and not everyone checked in so no feels in particular.

About to watch a movie (secret life of pets!) but I will be back on before deadline to vote :)

Our group had very little conversation and not everyone checked in so no feels in particular.

About to watch a movie (secret life of pets!) but I will be back on before deadline to vote :)
I'm glad it wasn't just my group with little conversation so far. We had like one or two people check in yesterday, but there also wasn't much to discuss or strategize about since the game had just started.

Ooooooh the books are on Kindle! And what's this white dragon?! Popped up as an option on amazon
White Dragon is the third book in the original Trilogy. If you want to start reading them, the order's Dragonflight, Dragonquest, and The White Dragon.