Drug Testing Questions:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
EXACTLY! I don't want to be working with another pharmacist who comes into work hungover from a night of smoking pot and drinking. I mean, what if he/she makes a mistake? We are dealing with people's lives here. We have to be alert and attentive.

Well I'm sure no one wants to work with anyone in that state in ANY profession, but guess what it happens all the time. In the end, people are responsible for their own actions.

Well I'm sure no one wants to work with anyone in that state in ANY profession, but guess what it happens all the time. In the end, people are responsible for their own actions.

Are you talking about Starbucks? Yeah people might come into Starbucks hungover LOL C'mon...what planet are you living on. I would just love to see some resident, doctor, or nurse come into work hungover. What about in the business world? An engineer? Do you think engineers come into work hungover all the time? Lawyers, pilots? Oh yeah- lawyers come into work hungover to fight a big case. Addicts need to believe that everybody else is doing it because if everyone else is doing it, it means they aren't an addict. Addicts have a high investment in maintaining a belief that lots of other people are doing it or that the best people are doing it...which means they aren't an addict, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you talking about Starbucks? Yeah people might come into Starbucks hungover LOL C'mon...what planet are you living on. I would just love to see some resident, doctor, or nurse come into work hungover. What about in the business world? An engineer? Do you think engineers come into work hungover all the time? Lawyers, pilots? Oh yeah- lawyers come into work hungover to fight a big case. Addicts need to believe that everybody else is doing it because if everyone else is doing it, it means they aren't an addict. Addicts have a high investment in maintaining a belief that lots of other people are doing it or that the best people are doing it...which means they aren't an addict, right?

What fantasy world do you live in?

Hey, based off of the responses I've seen here, if it's legalized people should be able to smoke it whenever, right? I mean if cigarettes are ok to go smoke on break while you're at work, why not go light up a spliff too right?

Patient to clerk: I'd like to speak with the pharmacist.

Clerk to patient: Oh sorry, he's out on break smoking a big fattie. He'll be back to answer any of your questions about your medication in a minute.

The entire debate of whether it should or should not be legalized reminds me of the story my pharm law professor shared with us: he came in to work to find the other pharmacist drunk off his asss on the floor, puking everywhere. :laugh:

That is all you are going to tell us of that story? What happened then?

The entire debate of whether it should or should not be legalized reminds me of the story my pharm law professor shared with us: he came in to work to find the other pharmacist drunk off his asss on the floor, puking everywhere. :laugh:

Go on...

Hey, based off of the responses I've seen here, if it's legalized people should be able to smoke it whenever, right? I mean if cigarettes are ok to go smoke on break while you're at work, why not go light up a spliff too right?

Clerk to patient: Oh sorry, he's out on break smoking a big fattie. He'll be back to answer any of your questions about your medication in a minute.

Are you really using this as an argument? No one here in favor of legalization would support that. It would be treated similar to alcohol, which ideally would be used only in the privacy of one's home, social events, etc. - not during work, obviously. We all know that people may choose to use drugs whenever they feel like it, but there's not much we can do about that. Whether the particular drug is legal or not is irrelevant in this case.
We should not be regulating what people put into their bodies. Let people consume what they want, as long as harm is not brought to others.

Winner of this years most ignorant statement.

Then there was the ridiculous statement from PharmDwannabe:

"Pot should be legalized and we all should do it in our free times. And no one should judge anyone else for doing weed especially schools and jobs."

..."spoken" like a true pothead.

this thread makes me :rofl:

One of my clerks came in completely hungover a few times. And then one day he was still so drunk he pretty much got to the pharmacy grabbed a trashcan and started vomiting.... for quite a while... in a space visible to patients.

Our pharmacist just said "um... can you move back behind the shelves? Where people can't see you?"

After he was done vomiting they sent him home and found a replacement. Haha and he wasn't written up or fired.

Then there was the ridiculous statement from PharmDwannabe:

"Pot should be legalized and we all should do it in our free times. And no one should judge anyone else for doing weed especially schools and jobs."

..."spoken" like a true pothead.

sure....cause When I said I gave up that didn't mean I was being sarcastic with the rest of the statement. ****ing idiot.

considering you were taking passion's side I wouldnt doubt you are a pothead.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Winner of this years most ignorant statement.

Do you think people should be imprisoned solely for possessing a drug?

I'm not sure what you disagreed with, as you didn't respond, but I may have been misunderstood.

Of course we should regulate items intended for consumption for human safety, but the point I was making was that people should not be punished for using a drug.

Last edited:
sure....cause When I said I gave up that didn't mean I was being sarcastic with the rest of the statement. ****ing idiot.

considering you were taking passion's side I wouldnt doubt you are a pothead.
If you read the thread you'll see Lea didn't agree with pot being legalized... nor did she once claim she smoked, she doesn't even smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol. Also, when you debate, it's good to use ACADEMIC language, because swearing makes you lose all validity, not like that matters to you I see.

That is because he makes sense and you do not.
Ya this guy doesn't make sense where ever he goes, I remember him not knowing the difference b/w YOUR and YOU'RE in another thread. Bet he makes a grade A Pharm student....

Alright lets end this once and for all...
1. Pot at this time is illegal
2. You are a pothead and thus nothing you say matters as you are high
3. I think that you, passion4sci, should keep smoking pot so you won't ever become a pharmacist. This would probably result in a safer world.
4. This is it for me I don't need to deal with your stupid pot questions because I am a year from a doctorate.

I'm not sure what you disagreed with, as you didn't respond, but I may have been misunderstood.

Of course we should regulate items intended for consumption for human safety, but the point I was making was that people should not be punished for using a drug.

Well, there was nothing to agree or disagree with. Your statement of "Let people consume what they want, as long as harm is not brought to others" is extremely ignorant because it will ALWAYS affect someone else, whether it be directly/indirectly. Studies have shown that smoking marijuana affects memory, amongst other things. Explain how a health care professional who smoked pot would be fit for duty at any time.

Should people be arrested for possession of a drug? Is it legal or illegal? If it is illegal then yes, they should be imprisoned. If it is legal and not prescribed to them, yes - imprisonment. And people SHOULD be punished for ABUSING drugs.

Alright lets end this once and for all...
1. Pot at this time is illegal
2. You are a pothead and thus nothing you say matters as you are high
3. I think that you, passion4sci, should keep smoking pot so you won't ever become a pharmacist. This would probably result in a safer world.
4. This is it for me I don't need to deal with your stupid pot questions because I am a year from a doctorate.

Jesus Christ you are such an idiot, do you know how many medical doctors and Ph.Ds used to and still smoke pot ?

My anatomy professor himself - taught anatomy for n+ number of years, said during class how he loved smoking pot.

This is a difference between california and the rest of the country - we don't pretend to be angelic hypocrites.

You seriously remind me of that douch-ey politician that was a hard core fundamentalist Christian but then was caught screwing hookers in a gas station, sickly self-righeously obnoxious.

I live in AZ, and I see nothing wrong with smoking pot. It doesn't help that I was a pot head in high school. However, I still graduated with a 3.8 and scored in the 85th percentile on the SAT without ever opening a book.

In all honestly, I don't give a crap what my pharmacist or doctor does in their free time. I do care if they are an addict, because that would affect their ability to provide the best patient care. People can be addicted to food, sex, alcohol, or illict drugs...it's all the same to the human brain, so it's all the same to me in that it could negatively affect patient care. While the law recognizes some of these substances as illegal while others are not, the bottom line can be the same.

In all honestly, I don't give a crap what my pharmacist or doctor does in their free time. I do care if they are an addict, because that would affect their ability to provide the best patient care. People can be addicted to food, sex, alcohol, or illict drugs...it's all the same to the human brain, so it's all the same to me in that it could negatively affect patient care. While the law recognizes some of these substances as illegal while others are not, the bottom line can be the same.
According to a lot of anti-mj people, marijuana is addictive. And I can't tell you how many cops on "Cops" call marijuana a "narcotic."

Marijuana is psychologically addictive. If you cannot go a whole day without smoking pot or exhibiting drug seeking behavior, you are addicted, whether physically or not. Could you give it up completely tomorrow? If no, then you are addicted. Same goes for alcohol. There are MANY people who can't put down the bottle and say they aren't alcoholics. Ditto with the caffeine. The problem arises when your addiction (or drug seeking behavior) negatively affects your life/job/relationships with other people. In this case, we are discussing performance as a pharmacist. A hungover or stoned pharmacist (on the job) is a dangerous one, in my opinion. Otherwise, who gives a crap if they pound back a few beers over the weekend or light up a doobie at a party. It only becomes a problem when it affects patient care.

Marijuana is psychologically addictive. If you cannot go a whole day without smoking pot or exhibiting drug seeking behavior, you are addicted, whether physically or not. Could you give it up completely tomorrow? If no, then you are addicted. Same goes for alcohol. There are MANY people who can't put down the bottle and say they aren't alcoholics. Ditto with the caffeine. The problem arises when your addiction (or drug seeking behavior) negatively affects your life/job/relationships with other people. In this case, we are discussing performance as a pharmacist. A hungover or stoned pharmacist (on the job) is a dangerous one, in my opinion. Otherwise, who gives a crap if they pound back a few beers over the weekend or light up a doobie at a party. It only becomes a problem when it affects patient care.

I see and understand your point of view :), but to provide a contrary point of view: why should we as a society limit entire's population access to something because certain individuals have addictive traits in their personality ?

Hypothetically only: if I wanted to smoke weed, why shouldn't be able to if I can control it, but persons XYZ can't ?

Alcohol is adictive, yet somehow we manage with the ratio of nonalcoholic/to alcholic or sober/to drunk pharmacists on the job, I don't think weed would be any different. :smuggrin:

Marijuana is psychologically addictive. If you cannot go a whole day without smoking pot or exhibiting drug seeking behavior, you are addicted, whether physically or not. Could you give it up completely tomorrow? If no, then you are addicted. Same goes for alcohol. There are MANY people who can't put down the bottle and say they aren't alcoholics. Ditto with the caffeine.

I don't disagree...but it's a fine line between dependence and addiction, don't you think? Just because someone's receptors are up or downregulated, or their chemistry is otherwise altered, does not predict how they will perform at their job. Example: you bet your bottom dollar I don't feel well when I go from 3 cups of coffee to none. However, I don't think that would make me unfit to provide patient care.

My point is just that marijuana, like anything else, CAN be problematic...but there are many cases where it is not. One could argue that there is a greater relationship between alcohol (or cocaine, or heroin, or meth) and crime/deaths/long term costs to society.

And calling marijuana a "narcotic" is pretty hilarious :laugh:

:thumbup:

According to a lot of anti-mj people, marijuana is addictive. And I can't tell you how many cops on "Cops" call marijuana a "narcotic."

:laugh: I was watching DEA: Vice Cops one day and they found a grow house somewhere... the cop walks in to a room with a few plants and he goes "You see this here... you see this? This much pot can KILL you!!!"

Now I'm all for sober health professionals and everything... but come on... you're a federal agent specializing in "narcotics"... are you serious?

I don't disagree...but it's a fine line between dependence and addiction, don't you think? Just because someone's receptors are up or downregulated, or their chemistry is otherwise altered, does not predict how they will perform at their job. Example: you bet your bottom dollar I don't feel well when I go from 3 cups of coffee to none. However, I don't think that would make me unfit to provide patient care.

My point is just that marijuana, like anything else, CAN be problematic...but there are many cases where it is not. One could argue that there is a greater relationship between alcohol (or cocaine, or heroin, or meth) and crime/deaths/long term costs to society.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Dependence is physical. Addiction is psychological. You are right that they are not one and the same and one should not mistake the two. However, in the case of marijuana, I would say it is more of a psychological addiction rather than a dependence. People who smoke marijuana don't necessarily experience withdrawal symptoms like, say, an alcoholic or heroin addict.

Yes, there is a stronger correlation between alcohol (and other drugs) and crime/deaths/long term costs to society. I cannot say I have ever seen a stoner get into a bar brawl. I have, however, seen a bunch of drunk frat boys beat the crap out of each other over a football game.

My point: if you are under the influence, or under the influence of latent effects of your drug use/abuse from the night before, you are unfit to work as a pharmacist, doctor, nurse or any other profession that could seriously result in someone else's injury and/or death (i.e. showing up to work hungover).

As I have said before, I don't care what people do in their off time. It is none of my business, whether it is legal or not. I don't care. As long as it does not negatively affect others. If a stoner or alcoholic wants to sit on their couch and destroy their lungs or liver, it is none of my business (unless they are my patient of course, LOL). But I can honestly say that I do not want my doctor, pharmacist, or nurse, etc. under the influence while I am under their care.

This thread has turned into a discussion that belongs in the sociopolitical forums LOLOL Maybe it should go join the Plan B thread? LOL

Marijuana = narcotic? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

:laugh: I was watching DEA: Vice Cops one day and they found a grow house somewhere... the cop walks in to a room with a few plants and he goes "You see this here... you see this? This much pot can KILL you!!!"

Now I'm all for sober health professionals and everything... but come on... you're a federal agent specializing in "narcotics"... are you serious?

Well, it is true that it COULD kill you if your lungs fail because of it but it would be hard to actually PROVE that- the whole cigaretts causing cancer bit has been going on for decades LOL but marijuana won't kill you in the sense that say, alcohol poisoning would LOL

Well, it does make one feel sleepy :p , but I know what you mean. They've made this word into their own definition. It should really only include sedatives/opiates, which technically mj would fall under, but definitely not cocaine, meth, etc. It's a word that now means every illegal drug, for whatever reason.

Besides the pre-employment screening at whatever retail/hospital/etc the pharmacist is going to work at, is there a giant risk or being "randomly" drug tested? OP might need to worry about that.

Besides the pre-employment screening at whatever retail/hospital/etc the pharmacist is going to work at, is there a giant risk or being "randomly" drug tested? OP might need to worry about that.

Some employers do, but I think most won't act on it unless you are hurt on the job or something... but why even risk it? There are so many more fun things you can do with your life than smoke and risk ruining your career and having nothing.

Well, it is true that it COULD kill you if your lungs fail because of it but it would be hard to actually PROVE that- the whole cigaretts causing cancer bit has been going on for decades LOL but marijuana won't kill you in the sense that say, alcohol poisoning would LOL

Oh yeah I'm sure it probably does nasty stuff to the lungs, but he was trying to say that you could easily die from acute intoxication. lol

Some employers do, but I think most won't act on it unless you are hurt on the job or something... but why even risk it? There are so many more fun things you can do with your life than smoke and risk ruining your career and having nothing.
You're right. He should move onto harder drugs like snorting oxy, coke, or hell, mainlining heroin. Party all night long Friday and its out of your system Monday. War on drugs? Haha, more like war on ganja. :laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
This is pretty interesting:

"The non-fatal consumption of 3000 mg/kg A THC by the dog and monkey would be comparable to a 154-pound human eating approximately 46 pounds (21 kilograms) of 1%-marihuana or 10 pounds of 5% hashish at one time. In addition, 92 mg/kg THC intravenously produced no fatalities in monkeys. These doses would be comparable to a 154-pound human smoking at one time almost three pounds (1.28 kg) of 1%-marihuana or 250,000 times the usual smoked dose and over a million times the minimal effective dose assuming 50% destruction of the THC by smoking."

This is an interesting issue.

Having never smoked in my life, neither cigs or 420, I would support the legalization of pot. It is widespread enough already that legalizing it would allow for the taxation, for safer product and to take away product profits from the illegal trade of pot in the US.

However, it should be treated in the same way as alcohol. Do not drive while under the influence and as a health professional if you are caught high while on the job or while driving, you lose your license. Professionals should be held to a higher standard, like it or not.

Not smoking for me is a lifestyle choice. I don't think I should be mandating others to make the same choice, though.

As for the Pokemon...I like Entei. It rapes in Super Smash Melee. LOL.

You're right. He should move onto harder drugs like snorting oxy, coke, or hell, mainlining heroin. Party all night long Friday and its out of your system Monday. War on drugs? Haha, more like war on ganja. :laugh::laugh:

Well that's just the way the cookie crumbles isn't it? THC is lipid soluble and remains detectable longer.

Please don't get me started on the downfalls of participating in other drug use... have you ever even witnessed the before and after effects of what oxy and cocaine addiction does to someone you previously knew for most of your life? It's not very pretty... and I'm not talking about "Oh my friend from high school tried it a few time at a party" Whatever... they should probably keep that to themselves... I'm talking about full blown years of addiction/dependance depending on the drug.

This is an interesting issue.

Having never smoked in my life, neither cigs or 420, I would support the legalization of pot. It is widespread enough already that legalizing it would allow for the taxation, for safer product and to take away product profits from the illegal trade of pot in the US.

However, it should be treated in the same way as alcohol. Do not drive while under the influence and as a health professional if you are caught high while on the job or while driving, you lose your license. Professionals should be held to a higher standard, like it or not.

Not smoking for me is a lifestyle choice. I don't think I should be mandating others to make the same choice, though.

As for the Pokemon...I like Entei. It rapes in Super Smash Melee. LOL.

I agree... I think alcohol has a more debilitating and negative effect on people than marijuana... My personal choice not to do it is just MY choice. People try to make it seem like we're s******* roses just because we play both sides of the fence and have concern for the reputability of the profession.

If it is legal... there will be the people who use it and pay their taxes and help the state, and then there will also be the people who weigh the negative/positive consequences and chose not to do it. I would like to think most health professionals would err on the side of caution and remain sober, but obviously that's not the case.

Alcohol is legal and you dont see people chugging fifths of vodka on their work break.

Customer: Id like to speak with the pharmacist

Clerk: Oh, he's doing a keg stand in the back, he'll be right with you

Customer: :mad::eek::scared:

Clerk: Why are you nervous? its legal

Well that's just the way the cookie crumbles isn't it? THC is lipid soluble and remains detectable longer.

Please don't get me started on the downfalls of participating in other drug use... have you ever even witnessed the before and after effects of what oxy and cocaine addiction does to someone you previously knew for most of your life? It's not very pretty... and I'm not talking about "Oh my friend from high school tried it a few time at a party" Whatever... they should probably keep that to themselves... I'm talking about full blown years of addiction/dependance depending on the drug.
My neighbor in dorms sophomore year used to do 8balls of coke off my desk a couple times a week. I never touched the stuff but if I wanted there was ample opportunity. He didn't bother me when he was doing it, he didn't harm me or try to pressure me into doing it, so I really didn't care, it was his bad habit not mine. He came over to our room because he didn't want his current room mate knowing. Best part was that he was on court ordered probation and had to urine test randomly since he got caught dealing weed. Even funnier part was that his room mate the previous year got kicked out for smoking in dorms yet he's a snorting harder than a hoover vacuum.

But yeah, even after a short while he'd always complain about the effects, random nose bleeds, very irritable when not high, his septum was deteriorating, etcetc... not to mention his addiction. I dont even want to think of the effects after YEARS of usuage if all this happened in a couple months.

Cocaine is a helluva drug

I really hope you don't get into pharmacy school. What a joke. Stop doing drugs right now.

This is typical of individuals who refuse to think for themselves. I'm guessing a result of the ridiculous "just say no" campaign or the "don't think for yourself" campaign. Either way, you're a hypocrite because you're probably on Prozac, drinking a Red Bull and taking Acetaminophen at higher than the recommended dose right now. Please be more open-minded?

This is pretty interesting:

"The non-fatal consumption of 3000 mg/kg A THC by the dog and monkey would be comparable to a 154-pound human eating approximately 46 pounds (21 kilograms) of 1%-marihuana or 10 pounds of 5% hashish at one time. In addition, 92 mg/kg THC intravenously produced no fatalities in monkeys. These doses would be comparable to a 154-pound human smoking at one time almost three pounds (1.28 kg) of 1%-marihuana or 250,000 times the usual smoked dose and over a million times the minimal effective dose assuming 50% destruction of the THC by smoking."

It is so interesting that I read numerous comparable statements during my undergrad.

This is typical of individuals who refuse to think for themselves. I'm guessing a result of the ridiculous "just say no" campaign or the "don't think for yourself" campaign. Either way, you're a hypocrite because you're probably on Prozac, drinking a Red Bull and taking Acetaminophen at higher than the recommended dose right now. Please be more open-minded?

I was being sarcastic. I am not on Prozac, I do not drink Red Bull and I hardly ever take acetaminophen. Way to jump to conclusions. Clearly, you have not read the remainder of the conversation- you would see that I am in favor of the legalization of marijuana. Secondly, were you not the one that got busted for possession? Or, was it your friend? Now, let us please keep this conversation respectful. It is quite possible that we will be classmates in the fall since you are going to Minnesota and there is a likelihood I will be pulled off the waitlist. I am much more open-minded than you think but I do not need to defend myself here. So, let us just forget about this little "quarrel".

My neighbor in dorms sophomore year used to do 8balls of coke off my desk a couple times a week. I never touched the stuff but if I wanted there was ample opportunity. He didn't bother me when he was doing it, he didn't harm me or try to pressure me into doing it, so I really didn't care, it was his bad habit not mine. He came over to our room because he didn't want his current room mate knowing. Best part was that he was on court ordered probation and had to urine test randomly since he got caught dealing weed. Even funnier part was that his room mate the previous year got kicked out for smoking in dorms yet he's a snorting harder than a hoover vacuum.

But yeah, even after a short while he'd always complain about the effects, random nose bleeds, very irritable when not high, his septum was deteriorating, etcetc... not to mention his addiction. I dont even want to think of the effects after YEARS of usuage if all this happened in a couple months.

Cocaine is a helluva drug

He has some serious balls! LOL:laugh:

I once saw somebody do a line off a hand dryer in the bathroom at a club :laugh::laugh:

No, I think it is stupid and a complete waste of money to put people in jail for possession of marijuana. If you took everyone out of jail that got busted for having some ganja on them for personal use, the jails might not be so crowded LMAO