Dual Enrollment, DAT's, and Dental School Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I am a senior in high school and I want to pursue dentistry. I have been taking online dual enrollment classes at a local community college for almost 2 years now, and I am getting my associates degree as a graduate high school. Thus I start university as a junior, and don't have as much time in between now when I have to apply to dental school. I can't find any information on people that are in my situation, so I wanted some advice on a couple things. I am planning to take my DAT the fall that I enter university next year, then apply to dental school that following summer after my first year at university. I already shadow a Dentist and volunteer at my local hospital.

In order to take my DAT's fall of 2020, I am planning to learn Ochem next semester, then begin studying for the DAT in the summer (and maybe biochem?). After that, I would have two semesters at university to focus on classes or retake the DAT. I have already taken gen chem and Anatomy. I am taking Biology and studying Ochem next semester, so in total I think that I am familiarized with all the subjects I need before I start studying for the DAT. The reason I didn't take Ochem classes this year was because my high school counselor is very difficult to work with as he doesn't do his job, and has been actively trying to stop me from doing dual enrollment the past 2 years. As a result, I was forced to take multiple useless classes for high school credits, then had to retake similar ones as he would not count them, giving me little room for science classes. So that leaves me with these questions:

1. Do I need all my prerequisite classes for Dental school done before I apply? Or can I take them after I apply?
  2. Do Dental school applications ask to see what classes you are taking senior year? If they do then does that make a difference if you plan to take a recommended class that year?
  3. How necessary is Biochem for the DAT?
  4. What resources can I use to study Ochem?
  5. Does age affect admissions? I would apply to Dental school at 19
Thanks for reading, if you need me to go more in depth about my classes or situation I would be welcome to.

Members don't see this ad.

1. No you don't have to have them done when you apply. You just have to be done with everything by the time you matriculate.

2. If you don't have all the prereqs done and plan to do take them after applying, you have to explain that in the app. I'm sure planning to take recommended classes makes a difference. But even if you get accepted before taking the classes, you will have to turn in those grades later and they have the right to rescind their offer based on how you did.

"Many dental schools have academic expectations for the courses that you have planned, and if you fall short of those standards, you risk losing your offer. This includes not finishing your degree or doing poorly in “recommended” courses that may help you in their programs."

3. Bio 1 and 2 should be enough for the DAT.

4. The advice you get will vary, but for me I got a good textbook (Kline) + solution manual and did a bunch of problems.

5. Age doesn't seem to matter. The youngest person in our class was 19.

AP/online courses are not exactly highly recommended by dental schools. Weather or not you were adequately prepared in general chemistry remains to be seen. Whether or not ds choose to overlook your pre college record may also depend on how well you navigate through upper division courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. No you don't have to have them done when you apply. You just have to be done with everything by the time you matriculate.

2. If you don't have all the prereqs done and plan to do take them after applying, you have to explain that in the app. I'm sure planning to take recommended classes makes a difference. But even if you get accepted before taking the classes, you will have to turn in those grades later and they have the right to rescind their offer based on how you did.

"Many dental schools have academic expectations for the courses that you have planned, and if you fall short of those standards, you risk losing your offer. This includes not finishing your degree or doing poorly in “recommended” courses that may help you in their programs."

3. Bio 1 and 2 should be enough for the DAT.

4. The advice you get will vary, but for me I got a good textbook (Kline) + solution manual and did a bunch of problems.

5. Age doesn't seem to matter. The youngest person in our class was 19.

Thanks for the response :), can you elaborate more on #1?

some dental schools do not accept prerequisite courses that are completed at a CC so i would keep an eye on that