Duke Part II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Duke thread history trivia:
What did Hednej promise to do until he got his Duke letter?

Members don't see this ad.

To those of you sending in an extra letter: are you addressing it to the admissions committee in general? I interviewed with Dr. Armstrong and had been planning to write to her directly until I received that email last week directing all letters to Richard Wallace.

What kind of extra letter? Do you mean like an LOI? I was planning on sending the LOI to Richard Wallace anyway so... I guess that email didn't change anything for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha... ya I guess that is kind of wishful thinking on Embellis's part. Oh well, it is a nice gesture nevertheless.

Grow a mustache??? Nemeedooman...

And I present you with the ugliest mustache in the world!
Why?
Because I want you to see the pain and agony I had to endure and I come home to what?
A GODDAMNED REJECTION!

Attachments

• Mustache.jpg
    Mustache.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 98
Embellis, I know you mean well but it is slightly cruel and unusual punishment to post that link here in the waitlist thread...hopefully some of us will be able to join it come may...

:( I'm sorry. Actually, I don't like to think of this as a waitlist thread. It's more like an "I love Duke" thread, and besides, more of us hang out over here than on the Duke c/o 2011 thread. It's just more fun over here.

And I present you with the ugliest mustache in the world!
Why?
Because I want you to see the pain and agony I had to endure and I come home to what?
A GODDAMNED REJECTION!

You know... as a Persian, I would have assumed you could grow a better mustache than that. No worries tho, I still claim to have the weakest Persian mustache in history. Sorry that you got rejected. Good luck at all of your other schools. :luck:

:( I'm sorry. Actually, I don't like to think of this as a waitlist thread. It's more like an "I love Duke" thread, and besides, more of us hang out over here than on the Duke c/o 2011 thread. It's just more fun over here.

Hmmm... that is interesting. I guess that must be why the Duke waitlist has so much movement (since obviously the people they have let in up to this point aren't exactly stoked about the school).

Hmmm... that is interesting. I guess that must be why the Duke waitlist has so much movement (since obviously the people they have let in up to this point aren't exactly stoked about the school).

Not so, Females. I am very excited, but am not an avid online community contributor. I would guess that there are, at most, ten regular contributors to this thread and 40 who read but don't write. That leaves a lot of people we know nothing about, in particular their enthusiasm for Duke. Obviously there are some who are not as excited, like Spatula, but I'd be willing to bet there are many in the shadows who are ecstatic!

Not so, Females. I am very excited, but am not an avid online community contributor. I would guess that there are, at most, ten regular contributors to this thread and 40 who read but don't write. That leaves a lot of people we know nothing about, in particular their enthusiasm for Duke. Obviously there are some who are not as excited, like Spatula, but I'd be willing to bet there are many in the shadows who are ecstatic!

Well then, I would like to cordially invite all those who lurk around this thread but do not contribute to get an sn and join in on the convo. It'll be fun. Tell us a bit about yourselves, so we can all become one happy Duke/Hopeful Duke family :love:

Well then, I would like to cordially invite all those who lurk around this thread but do not contribute to get an sn and join in on the convo. It'll be fun. Tell us a bit about yourselves, so we can all become one happy Duke/Hopeful Duke family :love:

shouldn't you be studying? I'm at the library being somewhat productive!

You know... as a Persian, I would have assumed you could grow a better mustache than that. No worries tho, I still claim to have the weakest Persian mustache in history. Sorry that you got rejected. Good luck at all of your other schools. :luck:

Hahaha, yeah that's very true. I was kinda disappointed myself too. I think it has something to do with the fact that, genetically speaking, I'm half Turkmen, who as you can see in this picture, have the mustache of a catfish. http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asia/Turkmenistan/photo186976.htm

shouldn't you be studying? I'm at the library being somewhat productive!

Whatever... you're probably at the library sitting on sdn sipping from your Northwestern mug while wearing your NYU hoodie. Loser. :love:

Hahaha, yeah that's very true. I was kinda disappointed myself too. I think it has something to do with the fact that, genetically speaking, I'm half Turkmen, who as you can see in this picture, have the mustache of a catfish. http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asia/Turkmenistan/photo186976.htm

Aha... so I see. :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
So... anyone doing anything super fun today??? I'm watching 24 tonight with my buds :cool:

So... anyone doing anything super fun today??? I'm watching 24 tonight with my buds :cool:

What happened last week? I think one of the last things I saw the week before was Mrs. Logan stabbing the ex-pres in the neck.

What happened last week? I think one of the last things I saw the week before was Mrs. Logan stabbing the ex-pres in the neck.

The terrorists launched one of the drones but Jack was able to safely land it. Nadia gets accused of aiding the terrorists. Even though the second nuke didn't detonate, VP (acting Pres) Daniels still insists on a nuclear warning strike against Assad's home country (do they say which country it is?).
I don't think the last episode had any update on ex-pres logan.

The terrorists launched one of the drones but Jack was able to safely land it. Nadia gets accused of aiding the terrorists. Even though the second nuke didn't detonate, VP (acting Pres) Daniels still insists on a nuclear warning strike against Assad's home country (do they say which country it is?).

Thanks for the update! I have a friend who gets irritated when he has to explain because I missed a week.

Logan coded on the ambulance, i think we're left to assume he died

you forgot to mention that Karen Hayes is trying to get the docs to bring President Palmer out of a coma so that he can overturn Daniels' proposal for attacking the middle east with nuclear force

I'm the Cornell WLer that hangs out at the Duke thread on occasion bc Females is a close friend

I'm the Cornell WLer that hangs out at the Duke thread on occasion bc Females is a close friend

are you also a duke waitlister? if it is not cornell for you, will it be NYU? I missed NYU second look but I really like thei location/teaching hospitals.

p.s. I have actually never seen 24...however did anyone catch that discovery channel series planet earth? i just saw it, it rocks!! ok I am running out of things to post on this thread....adios!

Logan coded on the ambulance, i think we're left to assume he died

you forgot to mention that Karen Hayes is trying to get the docs to bring President Palmer out of a coma so that he can overturn Daniels' proposal for attacking the middle east with nuclear force

Speaking of which...I thought it was pretty funny that the doc was in such a rush to leave, he was so busy he couldn't be bothered. Dude, you're in a bunker, you've got one patient: The President of the United States. You don't have anywhere else more important to be.

Duke waitlist rocks. people sometimes congratulate me when they hear i got waitlisted. after all, it's DUKE!!!

are you also a duke waitlister? if it is not cornell for you, will it be NYU? I missed NYU second look but I really like thei location/teaching hospitals.

p.s. I have actually never seen 24...however did anyone catch that discovery channel series planet earth? i just saw it, it rocks!! ok I am running out of things to post on this thread....adios!

blackrsx is not a Duke waitlister, but he just likes seeing what I am up to in the Duke thread (and cuz our thread is better than the Cornell thread).

Husky, say it ain't so... :eek: We have to think of some new topics of conversation. Who is it that we have that are regulars on our thread. It is me, you, ryandote, MrBurns, pagemmapants, diosa, dookter (last 4 all being M1s at Duke)... um... and then NatyTilly and Embellis are always here cuz the c/o 2011 thread apparently sucks. What can we do that would be fun??? I will think of something tonight and we will start a fun discussion tomorrow. Holla!

how about....has anyone seen the movie "Secretary"? I just did and it is really f*cked up but actually kinda funny in a very strange way...any other good offbeat movies anyone has seen lately?

how about....has anyone seen the movie "Secretary"? I just did and it is really f*cked up but actually kinda funny in a very strange way...any other good offbeat movies anyone has seen lately?

females is being exactly that and watching the Hills right now, he'll be back in a bit :laugh: :love:

and he's right, I'm not a Duke WLer, just Cornell. I did go to 2nd look; I did a write of my impressions on the NYU class thread

I'm waiting to hear back from Baylor, and have Northwestern and NYU to pick from now (not easy, however I do recognize how sweet it is to have options).

I saw this documentary on all female Roller Derby in Austin at SXSW. It was pretty awesome.

females is being exactly that and watching the Hills right now, he'll be back in a bit :laugh: :love:

And just to let you all know, black left my apt because he said, and I quote, "I don't want to get addicted to this show, so I'm just gonna leave now." :laugh: :love:

But I do love the Hills... and Grey's... whatever :cool:

Topics of conversation?

Well, I stopped watching 24 after Jack & Co. set up their 10 billionth two-mile perimeter and Habib Marwan escaped for the 10 billionth time. Real geeks watch Battlestar Galactica. It just finished up the season, though. I also watch The Office regularly, but it's on hiatus. And, um, Friday Night Lights is a great, underrated show... but I think it's on the verge of cancellation.

Hmm... there's this game my friends and I used to play this game in middle school (usually during French class). One person starts with a sentence or two (or part of a sentence), and the next person adds to it, and so on, creating a story. I think we should do a Duke thread story.

I'll start (in grand, Bulwer-Lytton style, of course):

The spring sky was devilishly blue over the duck ponds of Durham, as what appeared to be the most pretentious frisbee ever made sailed through the sky and landed on the lawn of green, green grass that grew as thick as a Persian's mustache. If the gentle folk of Durham only knew...

the believer

the painted veil (not really offbeat but fantastic anyway
:love:

Topics of conversation?

Well, I stopped watching 24 after Jack & Co. set up their 10 billionth two-mile perimeter and Habib Marwan escaped for the 10 billionth time. Real geeks watch Battlestar Galactica. It just finished up the season, though. I also watch The Office regularly, but it's on hiatus. And, um, Friday Night Lights is a great, underrated show... but I think it's on the verge of cancellation.

Hmm... there's this game my friends and I used to play this game in middle school (usually during French class). One person starts with a sentence or two (or part of a sentence), and the next person adds to it, and so on, creating a story. I think we should do a Duke thread story.

It's funny because my high school used to play against the high school (Permian) that Friday Night Lights is based on. Good ole TX high school football aye???

The spring sky was devilishly blue over the duck ponds of Durham, as what appeared to be the most pretentious frisbee ever made sailed through the sky and landed on the lawn of green, green grass that grew as thick as a Persian's mustache. If the gentle folk of Durham only knew that amongst them lived a baller named Richard Wallace. Wallace, much like the famed William Wallace, was...

(I'm pretty sure this could also be a drinking game except we would only add to the story one word at a time :laugh: )

not that this matters in the least or lessens my enthusiasm for duke med, but apparently duke took a slight stumble in the USNews ranking and got edged out by stanford....don't worry dukie, we still love you! :love:

not that this matters in the least or lessens my enthusiasm for duke med, but apparently duke took a slight stumble in the USNews ranking and got edged out by stanford....don't worry dukie, we still love you! :love:

dude i have learned that the coveted USNWR are total BS and only provide a very rough estimate of where a school stands vs. others

not that this matters in the least or lessens my enthusiasm for duke med, but apparently duke took a slight stumble in the USNews ranking and got edged out by stanford
You people have NO idea how much worse the teaching got in the day we went from 6th to 8th.

You people have NO idea how much worse the teaching got in the day we went from 6th to 8th.

:laugh: .... I think everyone accepted to duke might be better off going to a caribbean medical school after that slip in the rankings..seriously, yall should just withdraw :smuggrin:

:laugh: .... I think everyone accepted to duke might be better off going to a caribbean medical school after that slip in the rankings..seriously, yall should just withdraw :smuggrin:

Agreed. I think I am a much stronger candidate for a #8 school than a #6 school. :love:

After mulling more and more over a decision between vandy and duke im starting to lean back over to duke. (figure does it really matter where i live for four more years since im just going to pretty much live in a hospital/library no matter where i go)

sigh. this is so hard. i cant wait until the financial decisions are mailed out.

After mulling more and more over a decision between vandy and duke im starting to lean back over to duke. (figure does it really matter where i live for four more years since im just going to pretty much live in a hospital/library no matter where i go)

sigh. this is so hard. i cant wait until the financial decisions are mailed out.

That's true, but there's something to be said for a change of scenery.

I'm an undergrad at UNC, and for med school I'm choosing between UNC and Duke. I have many reasons why I want to go to Duke, but UNC is also a great school that will probably be cheaper. Still, I don't want to be at UNC for another four years. I like it, but I don't want to see the same buildings, walk the same paths, eat at the same places for another four years. I also want a sharper demarcation between college and med school (I want to feel like I'm going off to med school...if I go to UNC the transition will be so smooth that it might feel like an extension of ugrad).

So I would say don't discount your feelings of uncertainty about another 4 years at Duke.

That being said, financial aid might change everything. Good luck

I don't want to start a whole school A vs school B thread on this so I thought I would just get my fellow duke waitlisters opinions on this one.. which would you pick: UAB or NYU. I like both cities so location really isn't a factor and both curriculums are cool and facilities are both great too..UAB is ranked higher for whatever that's worth..just wondering if yall had any thoughts..thanks for the feedback!....i think duke second look is coming up soon? i wonder if I just went to it what would happen....haha jk, i would never..that would be me clearly stepping over the line into pathetic zone...:cool:

I don't want to start a whole school A vs school B thread on this so I thought I would just get my fellow duke waitlisters opinions on this one.. which would you pick: UAB or NYU. I like both cities so location really isn't a factor and both curriculums are cool and facilities are both great too..UAB is ranked higher for whatever that's worth..just wondering if yall had any thoughts..thanks for the feedback!....i think duke second look is coming up soon? i wonder if I just went to it what would happen....haha jk, i would never..that would be me clearly stepping over the line into pathetic zone...:cool:

Husky, I'm gonna be just straight up honest with you. I would go to NYU. However, I'm not a big fan of UAB because they beat Kentucky in the NCAA tournament a few years ago when Kentucky was the one seed. I freakin hate them. Plus, I like the colors of NYU (purple). I mean how baller would it be to have purple regalia??? And I mean... come on. This is the one time in your life you can live as a young person in NYC for 4 yrs without having to stay any longer than that. I mean... do it! Plus, those rankings are horse ****. I mean... how is Duke ranked any lower than #1??? Enough said.

Husky, I'm gonna be just straight up honest with you. I would go to NYU. However, I'm not a big fan of UAB because they beat Kentucky in the NCAA tournament a few years ago when Kentucky was the one seed. I freakin hate them. Plus, I like the colors of NYU (purple). I mean how baller would it be to have purple regalia??? And I mean... come on. This is the one time in your life you can live as a young person in NYC for 4 yrs without having to stay any longer than that. I mean... do it! Plus, those rankings are horse ****. I mean... how is Duke ranked any lower than #1??? Enough said.

Haha well I do already have a NYU sweatshirt from when I did their SURP program....but, I am also a big lover of the outdoors and outdoor activities and having a dog so i got slightly depressed in NYC even after just 2 months in the summer program b/c the severe lack of greenery (except central park- but having to cab it/subway to see green is kind of a pain). But I love all the cultural things that NYU has to offer(major plus) but it is REALLY expensive and the living situation would suck terribly( back to like freshman year of college dorm style living :thumbdown: )...so really Duke is the absolute perfect fit for me..oh wait I forgot I was trying to figure out between NYU and UAB..ughh you're killing me, duke, you're killing me :love:

are you OOS or in state for UAB?

are you OOS or in state for UAB?

OOS for UAB, but supposively UAB is really good about finaid. My tour guide/Ms1 on interview day was OOS and said he pays almost the same as in-staters..could just be a single case though, guess i gotta wait for the finaid

Haha well I do already have a NYU sweatshirt from when I did their SURP program....

You bastard! You took my spot! :mad: JK :laugh: :love:

Well, you do have an interesting situation. I don't know. Let's just hope come May 16th we both get in so we don't have to worry about all that other stuff. Do you hear that Duke? Husky and Females for c/o 2011 :thumbup:

lol husky, i have an NYU hoodie too - i bought it post-interview because i hoped it'd help me get accepted

haha - looks like I should have bought some Cornell clothing too

lol husky, i have an NYU hoodie too - i bought it post-interview because i hoped it'd help me get accepted

haha - looks like I should have bought some Cornell clothing too

Whoa... I should buy some Duke apparrel. I feel like that might jinx (sp*) it though. Plus, if I don't get in, I will feel like such a desparate loser walking around with the school's hoodie on where I couldn't even get in... :thumbdown:

Whoa... I should buy some Duke apparrel. I feel like that might jinx (sp*) it though. Plus, if I don't get in, I will feel like such a desparate loser walking around with the school's hoodie on where I couldn't even get in... :thumbdown:

well I actually already have a duke sweatshirt too, but I do alreadyhave an affiliation with them, but still will be totally pathetic if I don't get in and have to look at the sweatshirt as a daily reminder..I think I will give it to goodwill if good news does not come before august..

well I actually already have a duke sweatshirt too, but I do alreadyhave an affiliation with them, but still will be totally pathetic if I don't get in and have to look at the sweatshirt as a daily reminder..I think I will give it to goodwill if good news does not come before august..

LOL... no I think it is cool to keep the sweatshirt since you work there. I would be the pathetic one if I were to go get a shirt.

OOS for UAB, but supposively UAB is really good about finaid. My tour guide/Ms1 on interview day was OOS and said he pays almost the same as in-staters..could just be a single case though, guess i gotta wait for the finaid

I'd go for UAB if you get a good financial package. Actually, I can't imagine a scenario where NYU would be cheaper (and plus the cramped living) so I'd probably pick UAB regardless of your finaid.

So who is this Richard Wallace guy? From the earlier posts it sounds like he would be pretty memorable but I seriously don't remember seeing him on my interview day. Oh letters of intent...

So who is this Richard Wallace guy? From the earlier posts it sounds like he would be pretty memorable but I seriously don't remember seeing him on my interview day. Oh letters of intent...

Hmmm... who is Richard Wallace? Well, let's see. He is SDN renowned, the ladies want him, the guys want to be him, famed orator in the admissions office, and all-around keepin it real kinda guy. I guess it's possible you didn't meet him, but it is your loss. His little speech to my group was probably the most memorable part of my interview day. (interview Nov 30th btw)

Edit: This is my 500th post :)

Status
Not open for further replies.