Duke Part II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yea he's definitely the coolest admissions perosn i met during the interview trail

Members don't see this ad.

So did anyone else try to watch Grey's Anatomy tonight thinking it was a new show and get totally disappointed??? I know I did. Oh well, at least I got to watch the college slam dunk contest. Um... ya... DUKE LET ME IN! :love:

OK... I didn't want to have to do this... but I think it is countdown time :eek:

Days until Duke waitlist movement: 48

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone deserves to get off the waitlist, it's you Females.

:laugh: :laugh:

Your post could be misconstrued without saying Femalescantdriv as the person you are talking to. Could sound like you are saying all females on the waitlist in general. hahaahahahaahaha

That made me chuckle cuz I have a friend on the duke waitlist and said friend is a female. I hope she gets off of it because its one of her top choices. :D :p

And I hope FCD gets off of it too. Good luck you guys!!!

don't forget to pass your hopes of people getting in off the waitlist and your good wishes to one of the originals......me! :D haha just kidding..have a good weekend everyone, and let us in on the happenings of second look when yall acceptees get back.

Thanks, Dr Durden, I sure am trying. If anything, by the end of this waitlist process, at least they will never forget who FemalesCANTDriv is (possibly even as the most annoying waitlister ever). Haha... hey, they said show interest right??? :D

don't forget to pass your hopes of people getting in off the waitlist and your good wishes to one of the originals......me! :D haha just kidding..have a good weekend everyone, and let us in on the happenings of second look when yall acceptees get back.

Dude, husky, I got your back. Good call on the 2nd look. Ya yall have fun this weekend and let us know wassup when yall get back. I'm talking to you Embellis and Natytilly. :love:

how did duke drop from #6 to #34 in primary care us news rankings in just one year?

those rankings mean absolutely nothing

how did duke drop from #6 to #34 in primary care us news rankings in just one year?

I think there was a sharp drop in % of students going into "primary care" fields, ie. IM, Peds, Fam Prac. I think that factor is significantly weighted. Also, because there are a bunch of schools kind of bunched near the top, a big drop in ranking might not reflect a big drop in absolute terms.

Those rankings are garbage anyway

but *wow* - duke took a major plunge in the USNWR rankings for primary care. what gives?

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys are funny :laugh: Oh well, I still love you Duke (even if USNWR gives you less love this year) :love:

I have a freakin molecular biology test tomorrow morning at 10:15... and it is an oral test. Then I have part two of the same test (dubbed "matching from hell") at 6:00PM. I just can't wait to watch 24/NCAA final tomorrow night and know what's done is freakin done. I think school would kill me a lot less if Duke would just let me in. :love:

i remember our tour guide saying that there is some problem with primary care area next year and won't have a program for a year. she wanted to go to Duke for her residency but told us because the program is not available next year, she's thinking abotu UNC. anyhow perhaps that's the reason why it dropped so much.

yep, byong_soo is right. there was a little shake-up in the family med program and they won't be accepting residents for a year. so, that's the most likley reason for the rankings drop.

yep, byong_soo is right. there was a little shake-up in the family med program and they won't be accepting residents for a year. so, that's the most likley reason for the rankings drop.

Yup Pandabear MD can confirm this because he started intern year there in an FP residency at some point and then switched to his current EM program far awayfrom there at a location I shall not name.

i remember our tour guide saying that there is some problem with primary care area next year and won't have a program for a year. she wanted to go to Duke for her residency but told us because the program is not available next year, she's thinking abotu UNC. anyhow perhaps that's the reason why it dropped so much.

Good work, detective :D

44 days.

:luck: :luck: :luck:

so to anyone who attended, how was second look? and on a side note, embellis I noticed you are in both the duke and vanderbilt med class of 2011 groups? so which is it gonna be?

so to anyone who attended, how was second look? and on a side note, embellis I noticed you are in both the duke and vanderbilt med class of 2011 groups? so which is it gonna be?

Ohhhh damn... I think that was a call-out. :scared: LOL, ya now I'm curious, too (about both topics).

Hey guys,

Just came back from second look. My flight was at 6 am in the morning.. so i have been up since 3 am and currently at work. Needless to say, I am exhausted so won't be able to give a detailed summary. However, i do want to say that there were quite a few ppl at second look who were seriously considering other options so i think the waitlist movement should be pretty decent. All the best to you all. I will keep my fingers crossed for all of you who really want to come to duke. 2nd look was great and all the ppl i met were super nice and fun and cool. I think it will be a great class. G'luk guys.

Hey guys,

Just came back from second look. My flight was at 6 am in the morning.. so i have been up since 3 am and currently at work. Needless to say, I am exhausted so won't be able to give a detailed summary. However, i do want to say that there were quite a few ppl at second look who were seriously considering other options so i think the waitlist movement should be pretty decent. All the best to you all. I will keep my fingers crossed for all of you who really want to come to duke. 2nd look was great and all the ppl i met were super nice and fun and cool. I think it will be a great class. G'luk guys.

Cardiologist, I was wondering where you went. Nice to hear that you enjoyed the weekend. Sorry you have been up so long. Oh well, you can take a nice nap later I guess. I'm also pretty psyched that ppl are pursuing other options. Do you know how many ppl there were at the second look just to give us an idea of all the ppl that didn't wanna pony up the dough (i.e. probably don't wanna go to Duke already)? Thanks, Cardio. :thumbup:

I think there were about 90 ppl there, Females. And I second Cardiologist - all fun, interesting, friendly. I had the impression that about 20% were sold on Duke going in (like me, sorry), 20% were 80% sure about Duke but still thinking about other options, and the remainder were seriously on the fence. I know a few people decided on Duke by the end of the weekend. Reasons for considering other options, in addition to the quality and fit of the programs, were varied, from $$$ to sig. others to wanting to be in a bigger city. The other schools that most seemed to be considering were UNC, Vandy, Yale, Michigan, and UCSF. I don't think I heard anyone talk about considering Harvard or Hopkins.

i was just informed this morning by my regional interviewer that both she and my two paper screeners had scored me as a "superior" candidate. she said she was "shocked" and "flummoxed" that i'd been waitlisted.

maybe attending an only regionally known, small liberal arts school *did* play some part. :( would really hate to think so, though.

Well, sheep, at least that means you're prolly high on the list. That combined with Naty's info should at least keep you optimistic. :)

Well, sheep, at least that means you're prolly high on the list. That combined with Naty's info should at least keep you optimistic. :)

At another school, my interviewer said "see you at second look" and I was waitlisted. This process is so random.

Thanks, Natytilly. That does give us waitlisters hope. :D I bet those Hopkins and Harvard kids just straight rejected Duke. Oh well, their loss is our gain.

Sheep, sorry to hear that. If it makes you feel any better, by the end of my interview at Baylor (I'm IS by the way), the interviewer was about ready to hug me and I'm still getting just crickets from Baylor. Oh well... I still love Duke more. :love:

Hehe, and Case. :D WashU, UVA, and Michigan are on the table, too. I don't know... I can't decide! If money were no object, I'd definitely be going to Duke next year, but as it is... we'll see. I'm encouraged by the fact that quite a few people told me they appealed their aid packages and got more money. As it is, I'm about 60-70% sure I'll be in Durham in August. I'm holding onto all of my acceptances for right now; I'll withdraw (from the schools and from the facebook groups) as soon as I make up my mind.

Second Look was fantastic. I don't think I disliked anyone I met (well, except one, but hopefully they won't come). The current students are really fantastic, too. My only complaint was that we had so much to do, and so little time to sleep.

Let's see, what did we do... we had speakers, student panels, meals (lots of barbeque!), met with deans and other students, tours of the med school, campus, and some housing options, and went out on the town every night. They had some really great speakers... honestly, I felt so inspired. I know it sounds corny, but there it is. As for the evenings, it was Durham on Thursday and Friday, and Chapel Hill on Saturday.

To be honest, I'm not really the type to go out every weekend, I don't really drink (or dance), and I'm horribly introverted, so at first I felt kind of uncomfortable. I felt like I was probably too much of a geek to be in their company, not that anyone was at all unfriendly. By Saturday, though, I was feeling better about it, and I ended up having a really good time.

I will add, however, that on at least three separate occasions, other girls commented to me about the lack of cute guys in the prospective class. (Personally, I don't think anyone was profoundly ugly, but I will admit that there weren't very many Beautiful People, either. Which I actually think is kind of nice.) One of the girls suggested encouraging some of the accepted guys to go somewhere else, so we might get cuter guys in off the waitlist. ;)

I think there were about 90 ppl there, Females. And I second Cardiologist - all fun, interesting, friendly. I had the impression that about 20% were sold on Duke going in (like me, sorry), 20% were 80% sure about Duke but still thinking about other options, and the remainder were seriously on the fence. I know a few people decided on Duke by the end of the weekend. Reasons for considering other options, in addition to the quality and fit of the programs, were varied, from $$$ to sig. others to wanting to be in a bigger city. The other schools that most seemed to be considering were UNC, Vandy, Yale, Michigan, and UCSF. I don't think I heard anyone talk about considering Harvard or Hopkins.

There was at least one considering Hopkins... DancingChris. You may remember him from Friday night at Metro 8? ;) Although, I feel like the type of people I met were not really the type to want to be all gung-ho about Harvard or Hopkins anyway.

I'd say closer to 30% that were sold on it. But still, a bunch of people were considering some really great alternatives. Definitely hope on the waitlist.

Hehe, and Case. :D WashU, UVA, and Michigan are on the table, too. I don't know... I can't decide!

Wow, I didn't realize you were so torn. I thought that you were for sure going to Duke. You have some great options, though. Congrats on that!

Oh ya, and how were the girls??? I mean, apparently the guy situation is bad for yall... sorry... but how were the girls? :D

I will add, however, that on at least three separate occasions, other girls commented to me about the lack of cute guys in the prospective class. (Personally, I don't think anyone was profoundly ugly, but I will admit that there weren't very many Beautiful People, either. Which I actually think is kind of nice.) One of the girls suggested encouraging some of the accepted guys to go somewhere else, so we might get cuter guys in off the waitlist. ;)

Ouch, there goes my self esteem!!!

There was at least one considering Hopkins... DancingChris. You may remember him from Friday night at Metro 8? ;) Although, I feel like the type of people I met were not really the type to want to be all gung-ho about Harvard or Hopkins anyway.

Haha, I'm LOVING that DancingChris made it onto this message board!!

hahaha....that's funny "the lack of good looking guys"...but thankfully everyone was friendly and I actually met some funny guys too.......Man i wud rather have a great bunch of people to hang out with, than a bunch of good looking pricks..........But femalescantdrive..to answer your question about good looking girls....hmm lets see.........i would say they were all decent........sorry dude can't elaborate more.

I actually met a few people who were considering hopkins and columbia....for some reason there were quite a few on penn's waitlist.............but honestly i seriously think there will be some major waitlist movements...........i feel a lot of the people were considering going to a school in their own state, not cos they didn't like dUKE but it will be much cheaper for them to stay in state. So once again all the best people........

ya and i agree with the barbeque bit.lots of BBQ and lots of sweet tea. apparently it's a South thing;)

But femalescantdrive..to answer your question about good looking girls....hmm lets see.........i would say they were all decent........sorry dude can't elaborate more.

ya and i agree with the barbeque bit.lots of BBQ and lots of sweet tea. apparently it's a South thing;)

Dude... it's cool. I understand about the girlies. It is too early to tell anyway I'm sure since apparently a very small # of the ppl there are prolly gonna end up at Duke from what yall are saying. And yes, southerners do love some bbq and sweet tea.

I had no idea what a hush puppy was before my 2nd look. ;)

There was at least one considering Hopkins... DancingChris. You may remember him from Friday night at Metro 8? ;)

hahahahaha :laugh:
oh yeah, i remember him he better not come to duke because we will NEVER let him live that down

I had no idea what a hush puppy was before my 2nd look. ;)

agreed...the meals were quite a culture shock...hush puppies, banana bread puddings, sweet tea...in a good way ofcourse. who can complain:)

43 days.

How do yall not know what hush puppies are??? Didn't you ever go to Long John Silver's???

43 days.

How do yall not know what hush puppies are??? Didn't you ever go to Long John Silver's???

Blech! Not if I can help it. Don't get me wrong, I like seafood...but I live 1,000 miles from an ocean and the flash-freezing just doesn't cut it!

Blech! Not if I can help it. Don't get me wrong, I like seafood...but I live 1,000 miles from an ocean and the flash-freezing just doesn't cut it!

gross dude, gross

Hey, hey, hey... I didn't say I still go. Notice the past tense in my statements. I just said "ever" meaning I can't believe you have never gone. Plus, I really did like LJS when I was like 6-10. MMMMMMM... battered fish and hush puppies :D

what about cookout? Oh man, I've only been there once, but those are some tasty pups.

what about cookout? Oh man, I've only been there once, but those are some tasty pups.

wait, cookout has hushpuppies? Learn something new every day, I will have to try those out...their milkshakes are incredible :thumbup:

Whoa... what is cookout??? Is that a restaurant? If so, it sounds like a great place to be... I'm really hungry and I need to eat dinner :(

Whoa... what is cookout??? Is that a restaurant? If so, it sounds like a great place to be... I'm really hungry and I need to eat dinner :(

Hey, Cook-Out's open until 2 AM Sun-Thurs and 4 AM Fri and Sat... if you drive real fast, you just might make it.

Fast food place. Only place in the world where a corn dog is a "side"

Cracker Barrells are all over the U.S., and they have hush puppies. Even up above the Mason-Dixon line..
Ironically, Hush Puppies is also a brand of shoes manufactured somewhat near my hometown in Michigan...

I'm from the NE and have definitely heard of hush puppies. :)

Hey, Cook-Out's open until 2 AM Sun-Thurs and 4 AM Fri and Sat... if you drive real fast, you just might make it.

Fast food place. Only place in the world where a corn dog is a "side"

Sounds freakin amazing... maybe I should put "wanting to go to Cook-Out's" in an update email :laugh:

42 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.