DVM/PhD c/o 2030/2031 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wondalfy

UC-Davis c/o '27
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I wanted to start a thread for those of us who applied to DVM/PhD programs since the application, interview process, and dates are a bit different from regular DVM programs. I'd also like to hear from any past DVM/PhD program applicants!

This is my first application cycle, and I applied to the DVM/PhD programs at Colorado State, UPenn, and Cornell.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a 6th year dual student at UMN, doing the two degrees concurrently and I'll be defending my PhD next month. Happy to answer any questions.

@WildZoo is also a dual student, at UTK, but did the degrees consecutively - she graduated with her DVM already and will be finishing up her PhD in the spring. She bites sometimes, but she'll probably be willing to answer questions too ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Heh yes happy to answer stuff. Though with my program we applied to the PhD portion after already starting the DVM program so I'll be less helpful on the application side of things.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not even sure what UMN's real policy is for the application/interview process because all 3 of the dual students in my class had entirely differently formatted interview experiences :laugh:

I'm a current DVM/PhD student at VMCVM in my third year of PhD about to switch over to the DVM curriculum. Happy to answer any questions!

Also applying for DVM/PhD this year! Hoping for Davis! But applied to quite a few.

Simply lurking on this thread to continue my info gathering on the process, highly confident I wont be talked out of this plan. But I want to be the best applicant I can be when it's my turn!

Good luck to yall!

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard from any of the dual degree programs yet in terms of invites to interview/acceptances/rejections?

Starting to get some info in terms of interviews or moving on in the process from a few schools but nothing directly from the dual degrees currently

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard from any of the dual degree programs yet in terms of invites to interview/acceptances/rejections?

Starting to get some info in terms of interviews or moving on in the process from a few schools but nothing directly from the dual degrees currently
I haven't heard anything yet...but I lurked on some threads from last year and it looks like Colorado State University releases rejections for combined programs late November in the portal and Cornell invites people for the combined degree after general DVM rejections/acceptances early January. I'm not sure about the others. It's a bit harder to find info about the dual degrees!

I received an email with an invite for Colorado State University's DVM/PhD program interview this morning!!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I received an email with an invite for Colorado State University's DVM/PhD program interview this morning!!
Same! See you there perhaps?! I imagine there isn't too many of us.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a dual degree at Michigan State currently in the PhD portion of my program - I think we're pretty different from the rest, especially in that we didn't have a formal program up until recently, but I can probably answer some questions about the transition from vet school into grad school if anyone has any of those.

It doesn't seem like anyone else in this thread is a Davis DVM/PhD applicant, but the invites for that got sent out earlier!

Hi everyone! I wanted to start a thread for those of us who applied to DVM/PhD programs since the application, interview process, and dates are a bit different from regular DVM programs. I'd also like to hear from any past DVM/PhD program applicants!

This is my first application cycle, and I applied to the DVM/PhD programs at Colorado State, UPenn, and Cornell.
Has anyone heard anything from Penn yet?

Illinois sent their DVM/PhD interview invites this morning!

Good luck to yall! Illinois is pretty awesome, and I especially love Champaign.
I went to HS in Illinois, haven't been to the vet part of campus but went to the main campus for state math competitions a few times! It was nice from what I remember. Have not explored the area though.

Unfortunately they wanted to schedule my interview on the same day CSU already booked my flight to Colorado for their interviews... hoping everything works out :)

I went to HS in Illinois, haven't been to the vet part of campus but went to the main campus for state math competitions a few times! It was nice from what I remember. Have not explored the area though.

Unfortunately they wanted to schedule my interview on the same day CSU already booked my flight to Colorado for their interviews... hoping everything works out :)
One think I haven't seen a ton of people talk about re:vet part of campus, it right across from Japan House! I forget how many cherry trees we have over there, but the blooms are AMAZING in spring (for like 2 weeks). Honestly probably the group that gets to see them the most on campus.

Did anyone apply to NC State/have you heard anything from them? Getting more anxious as we approach the holidays haha :)

I wish these programs would email each other once a millennium. I'm already rescheduling Illinois which wanted Jan 11, the day Colorado flies people out, and Minnesota PhD program tryin to interview people same day as well

I didn't apply to NC State's dual program, but I did apply to their DVM program, and decisions came out today for that.

Also, UPenn's dual degree decisions came out today. Rejection here.

• Care
I didn't apply to NC State's dual program, but I did apply to their DVM program, and decisions came out today for that.

Also, UPenn's dual degree decisions came out today. Rejection here.
Oh yeah, didn't post about the rejections. Also rejection from Penn Dual

• Care
Minnesota PhD program tryin to interview people same day as well
At least in my year, they were pretty flexible with interview dates for the dual students' PhD portions (I think all 3 of the students in my year did our PhD interviews during different weeks)... we don't do in-person interviews for the DVM anymore so I'm not sure how the grad program has adjusted to work with that, but you might be able to make alternate arrangements.

At least in my year, they were pretty flexible with interview dates for the dual students' PhD portions (I think all 3 of the students in my year did our PhD interviews during different weeks)... we don't do in-person interviews for the DVM anymore so I'm not sure how the grad program has adjusted to work with that, but you might be able to make alternate arrangements.
It is remote... hoping they will re schedule. Seems like they have a whole thing with a student panel and faculty/staff presentations at other times of the day that I will sadly also miss though.

It is remote... hoping they will re schedule. Seems like they have a whole thing with a student panel and faculty/staff presentations at other times of the day that I will sadly also miss though.
If it's any consolation, most of that is aimed much more at the regular PhD students than the duallies. They try to have at least one dual student on the panel, but :shrug:

@motheatenlysis and I can provide you with a mini-panel if you want a more dual-specific version 😊

• Care
I ended up getting the NC State interview invite yesterday! To all the current dual degree students, do you have any advice as we prepare for interviews?

• Love
I ended up getting the NC State interview invite yesterday! To all the current dual degree students, do you have any advice as we prepare for interviews?
I think it's really important to have a clear idea of why you want to get both degrees and why it's best for your career plans for you to get them simultaneously like this vs doing the PhD later on. Because the programs are such a long commitment time-wise, and an investment on the school's part, it's essential that you demonstrate a solid understanding both of what you're getting into and why you need to do that for the career goals you have.

Good luck! You're going to do great :biglove:

Reactions: 2 users
Curious if anyone has intel on numbers regarding interview invites/acceptances for DVM/PhD programs, because there isn't a ton out there. Gotten some interview invites but for most schools, no clue if that means a 1/2 chance or a 1/20 chance.

Just to throw my own info out there, I work at Davis and I know that 3 prospective students received interview invites this year. Last year, one prospective student was accepted into their dual program.

Since CSU is paying for flights, I feel like that must mean OK odds given that I wouldn't expect them to fly out 60 people 🤷

Curious if anyone has intel on numbers regarding interview invites/acceptances for DVM/PhD programs, because there isn't a ton out there. Gotten some interview invites but for most schools, no clue if that means a 1/2 chance or a 1/20 chance.

Just to throw my own info out there, I work at Davis and I know that 3 prospective students received interview invites this year. Last year, one prospective student was accepted into their dual program.

Since CSU is paying for flights, I feel like that must mean OK odds given that I wouldn't expect them to fly out 60 people 🤷
I'm not 100% sure, but if I interpreted my meeting correctly, there's typically 6-7 people invited to CSU, and they choose 3. I think

I'm not 100% sure, but if I interpreted my meeting correctly, there's typically 6-7 people invited to CSU, and they choose 3. I think
Those are not bad odds but 100% of interview invites still better 😂 I didn't ask total interviewee numbers but I do recall seeing 3 first years on the website I think

Those are not bad odds but 100% of interview invites still better 😂 I didn't ask total interviewee numbers but I do recall seeing 3 first years on the website I think
Yeah I'm definitely still super nervous. 😭 I'd love a 100% rate haha

• Care

I would also think they probably interview about twice the number of people they admit! My boss is on a PhD admissions committee (not at CSU) and they sent out 36 virtual interview invites and are making 22 offers. So I’d say the toughest odds are probably getting to the actual interview stage. I’m also interviewing at CSU, so there are at least 3 of us!

How are interviews going for everyone so far? Have you guys been hearing back fairly quickly, or what is the timing like for the decisions for your schools?

Last edited:
How are interviews going for everyone so far?
Pretty well! I am done, thankfully. I was nervous applying to so few dual degree programs going into the process, but interviews back to back were exhausting so it worked out! Did you interview this cycle?

Pretty well! I am done, thankfully. I was nervous applying to so few dual degree programs going into the process, but interviews back to back were exhausting so it worked out! Did you interview this cycle?
Yes, one last week and one early next week! I haven't heard back on combined program decisions yet, but it seems like timelines are fairly variable. Have you heard back from everywhere already?

Yes, one last week and one early next week! I haven't heard back on combined program decisions yet, but it seems like timelines are fairly variable. Have you heard back from everywhere already?
Exciting!! :) I was accepted at CSU and still haven’t heard from Penn. I got a 2nd interview at NCSU, but my top programs were CSU and Penn so I decided not to go.

• Love
How are interviews going for everyone so far? Have you guys been hearing back fairly quickly, or what is the timing like for the decisions for your schools?
I got rejected from Penn and Cornell (regarding just the dual degree). I was interviewed at CSU and heard back around a week later that I was an alternate - 7 of us were interviewed and 3 were accepted, so 4 were left as alternates.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Depends on the school tbh. CSU and Minnesota told me fairly quick. Alternate CSU, accepted for Minnesota PhD part of program (but still need to do my regular DVM interview at Minnesota).

Davis is more of a long haul where I had one interview in December for dual and another in February now that regular DVM has accepted me there and they liked me enough. From my understanding, Davis actually has enough funding for the 3 people they decided to interview in round 1, so I expect not too long of a wait after?

I interviewed dual Illinois yesterday and I think they align that with regular DVM admissions so... maybe a month or a bit longer. Haven't heard anything from Wisconsin/Iowa.

Exciting!! :) I was accepted at CSU and still haven’t heard from Penn. I got a 2nd interview at NCSU, but my top programs were CSU and Penn so I decided not to go.
I got rejected from Penn and Cornell (regarding just the dual degree). I was interviewed at CSU and heard back around a week later that I was an alternate - 7 of us were interviewed and 3 were accepted, so 4 were left as alternates.
Depends on the school tbh. CSU and Minnesota told me fairly quick. Alternate CSU, accepted for Minnesota PhD part of program (but still need to do my regular DVM interview at Minnesota).

Davis is more of a long haul where I had one interview in December for dual and another in February now that regular DVM has accepted me there and they liked me enough. From my understanding, Davis actually has enough funding for the 3 people they decided to interview in round 1, so I expect not too long of a wait after?

I interviewed dual Illinois yesterday and I think they align that with regular DVM admissions so... maybe a month or a bit longer. Haven't heard anything from Wisconsin/Iowa.
Best of luck going forward and hope that everyone hears good news sooner or later! Looking forward to seeing where everyone ends up.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
So excited to say that I got an acceptance call from Penn's combined degree program earlier this week. And I am likely attending, as it's my top choice! :D

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Also applying for DVM/PhD this year! Hoping for Davis! But applied to quite a few.
Accepted into Davis dual! Leaning there still as of now, but planning to finish out the application process with a couple more schools before making any decisions.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Kind of random but genuinely curious why @wildzoo3 changed their username :laugh: Is @WildZoo , and its derivatives, the meta nickname for dual degree-ers now?

• Haha