DVM/PhD c/o 2030/2031 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to all the acceptances!! I was just doing some late-night SDN stalking and found this thread!
Heh yes happy to answer stuff. Though with my program we applied to the PhD portion after already starting the DVM program so I'll be less helpful on the application side of things.
Regarding your program, I've been accepted to a school that also does dual degrees, both MS and PhD, and I'm highly considering adding on a PhD. I remember on my application there was only an additional essay for the DVM/MBA program so I assume most people add on after their first year. Can I ask how you went about adding on your PhD? Did you engage in research from year 1 semester 1 to secure a spot?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to all the acceptances!! I was just doing some late-night SDN stalking and found this thread!

Regarding your program, I've been accepted to a school that also does dual degrees, both MS and PhD, and I'm highly considering adding on a PhD. I remember on my application there was only an additional essay for the DVM/MBA program so I assume most people add on after their first year. Can I ask how you went about adding on your PhD? Did you engage in research from year 1 semester 1 to secure a spot?
No, I didn't get involved in research until the summer after first year, and that is the lab I ended up staying with, though I didn't decide to do the PhD until fall of 3rd year. My classmates who ended up doing the dual program were similar, I think we all started out as summer research students.

I hadn't done any research prior to vet school so my intention was just to do a project and see how I liked it, since the field I want to go into has a significant research expectation. Ended up asking to do another project the next summer, and after that my mentor was like "So...PhD? :thinking: " and I was like "Lol no" and then a few months later I was like "Well maybe..." and then finally was like "Okay yes." I think my dual classmates were a bit more intentional about it going in :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I have just accepted at Davis and declined all my offers and waitlists elsewhere!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No, I didn't get involved in research until the summer after first year, and that is the lab I ended up staying with, though I didn't decide to do the PhD until fall of 3rd year. My classmates who ended up doing the dual program were similar, I think we all started out as summer research students.

I hadn't done any research prior to vet school so my intention was just to do a project and see how I liked it, since the field I want to go into has a significant research expectation. Ended up asking to do another project the next summer, and after that my mentor was like "So...PhD? :thinking: " and I was like "Lol no" and then a few months later I was like "Well maybe..." and then finally was like "Okay yes." I think my dual classmates were a bit more intentional about it going in :laugh:
That’s actually amazing lol. Considering you were in 3rd year did you finish concurrently or start your PhD after you graduated? Was your mentor your PI and helped you secure funding? What was your process of applying essentially lol

I know I love immunology and neurology (from an undergrad perspective) and would want to be involved with some kind of disease transmission/control project.

That’s actually amazing lol. Considering you were in 3rd year did you finish concurrently or start your PhD after you graduated? Was your mentor your PI and helped you secure funding? What was your process of applying essentially lol

I know I love immunology and neurology (from an undergrad perspective) and would want to be involved with some kind of disease transmission/control project.
I started the PhD after I graduated the DVM program, which is the norm at my school. Yes, my mentor is also my major professor/PI/advisor. The lab already had funding for my project costs, and the dual program provides my stipend and PhD tuition through a graduate research assistantship.

Reactions: 1 users
Doing some late stalking on this thread and had a question for anyone who applied to Penn’s dual degree program. When did you receive your decision/interview invite? Also, does anyone have any insight on how to prepare for dual degree interviews? Thank you guys!!

I had initially planned to apply for both Penn Vet and UMN dual degree programs. I expressed interest on my vet schools apps when they were submitted over the summer. As the PhD app deadlines got closer, I was feeling less optimistic about my success (I’m a 3x applicant), and decided not to apply for the dual degree. Will it hurt my chances of admission to the vet program if I had selected yes to dual degree but then did not submit a PhD app?

I had initially planned to apply for both Penn Vet and UMN dual degree programs. I expressed interest on my vet schools apps when they were submitted over the summer. As the PhD app deadlines got closer, I was feeling less optimistic about my success (I’m a 3x applicant), and decided not to apply for the dual degree. Will it hurt my chances of admission to the vet program if I had selected yes to dual degree but then did not submit a PhD app?
I can't speak for Penn, but at UMN, the decisions for the PhD and for the DVM are separate (not even done through the same office), so one should not affect the other.

Also @CC613, @WildZoo and I are recent DVM/PhD graduates (UTK for her, UMN for me - I'm graduating with my DVM in May, but finished my PhD a year ago) and @sheltermed and @matthirten13 are current DVM/PhD students (Michigan State and UC Davis) and I'm sure all of us are happy to chat more about it if you want. shelter and I were both multiple cycle applicants, so don't feel like you don't have a shot just because this isn't the first time you're applying to school.

• Care
Also @CC613, @WildZoo and I are recent DVM/PhD graduates (UTK for her, UMN for me - I'm graduating with my DVM in May, but finished my PhD a year ago) and @sheltermed and @matthirten13 are current DVM/PhD students (Michigan State and UC Davis) and I'm sure all of us are happy to chat more about it if you want. shelter and I were both multiple cycle applicants, so don't feel like you don't have a shot just because this isn't the first time you're applying to school.
Thank you that is very kind! I do still plan to apply for the Michigan state dual degree if I am fortunate enough to be offered an interview. I am not confident in my success for being selected for dual degree as I’m a lower gpa applicant. I do have 15000+ hours of experience in various vet med fields and research; and have been working in comparative medicine/lab animal for the last 3.5 years. I’m also in the process of retaking my prerequisites as they’re beginning to expire (so hopefully will boost my gpa).

• Care
Thank you that is very kind! I do still plan to apply for the Michigan state dual degree if I am fortunate enough to be offered an interview. I am not confident in my success for being selected for dual degree as I’m a lower gpa applicant. I do have 15000+ hours of experience in various vet med fields and research; and have been working in comparative medicine/lab animal for the last 3.5 years. I’m also in the process of retaking my prerequisites as they’re beginning to expire (so hopefully will boost my gpa).

Your application sounds a lot like mine, and I am in the dual degree program! Feel free to message me if you have questions :)

edit: AND I was also a 3x applicant!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone give advice on how to prepare for a dual program interview? What kinda of questions are asked (although I know it’s different for everyone). Happy holidays!

Can anyone give advice on how to prepare for a dual program interview? What kinda of questions are asked (although I know it’s different for everyone). Happy holidays!
I felt like the interviews I did were more-so testing on the PhD side of things fwiw. I would say in terms of prep, be very familiar with the research you've done, including future directions of that research. Also be able to explain why you need a DVM/PhD vs. a single degree for your goals.

I might look closely at the school's DVM/PhD page and try to talk to students from those programs if possible also. Some websites are very explicit in what the goal of their program is, and you should see if it matches your goals

Reactions: 2 users
I felt like the interviews I did were more-so testing on the PhD side of things fwiw. I would say in terms of prep, be very familiar with the research you've done, including future directions of that research. Also be able to explain why you need a DVM/PhD vs. a single degree for your goals.

I might look closely at the school's DVM/PhD page and try to talk to students from those programs if possible also. Some websites are very explicit in what the goal of their program is, and you should see if it matches your goals
Thank you so much!

To add to this, explain why you need to do the degrees at the same time vs doing a PhD later

Reactions: 1 users
It is possible to still be accepted into the DVM program even if you don't make it into the DVM/PhD, right? Just want to make sure because I'm getting anxious haha

So excited to say that I got an acceptance call from Penn's combined degree program earlier this week. And I am likely attending, as it's my top choice! :D
Hi! I was wondering when you received an interview invitation from Penn for the dual? Thank you!

Hi all!!! I’ve been invited to the PhD interview for the dual program at Michigan State!!!

Any advice??? What do you wish you would have known/would have asked prior to beginning your dual program?

Hi all!!! I’ve been invited to the PhD interview for the dual program at Michigan State!!!

Any advice??? What do you wish you would have known/would have asked prior to beginning your dual program?
Congrats on the interview! I am in a similar boat as you. Lower GPA (3.3) and lots of experience working in lab animal/comp med plus some research. I'll be applying for MSU's DVM/PhD program next cycle.

I obviously can't give advice but am following with interest and would love to hear updates along your journey. Rooting for you!

• Care
Congrats on the interview! I am in a similar boat as you. Lower GPA (3.3) and lots of experience working in lab animal/comp med plus some research. I'll be applying for MSU's DVM/PhD program next cycle.

I obviously can't give advice but am following with interest and would love to hear updates along your journey. Rooting for you!
Thank you so much!!! Maybe we’ll be colleagues someday soon!