D'Youville Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apteryx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So yesterday, here in buffalo, I was watching tv and a commercial came on for d'youville, advertising the new college of pharmacy opening this fall. The commercial looked cheap as hell, and I just thought it odd for a pharmacy school to have a tv ad. Anyone else in buffalo see it?

Members don't see this ad.

So yesterday, here in buffalo, I was watching tv and a commercial came on for d'youville, advertising the new college of pharmacy opening this fall. The commercial looked cheap as hell, and I just thought it odd for a pharmacy school to have a tv ad. Anyone else in buffalo see it?

Yeah, I did as well. I thought it was a joke at first.

We're one step from a PharmD at ITT Tech.

Yeah, I did as well. I thought it was a joke at first.

We're one step from a PharmD at ITT Tech.

I don't understand why we don't have any powerful regulatory bodies in pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd swear a used car lot commercial was coming on. "Earn your Doctor of Pharmacy!" They made it sound so accessible. I bet a ton of people who haven't seen a classroom since high school are going to call the school and ask what forms they need to fill out to register for class.

On a completely different note, I know of someone who had an interview there without even taking the PCAT yet, even though they require it. She was buttering up a professor and/or adcom member for a while to get it. It's a true story, and ridiculous at that.

I haven't seen the commercial, but I can see where they may be coming from. They just had their review by the pharmacy accreditation board, and they have a class that they need to fill in order to continue on with the accreditation process. It's pretty unfortunate that they need to resort to cheap commercials, but they are probably just trying to appeal to the undergraduate UB pre-pharmacy students who are trying to decide where to apply.

Has anyone received notice for an interview from D'Youville??? I got word that my PharmCas app & supplement have been received and is under review :xf:

hahahah this is horrible....doesn't help that "D'Youville" sounds goofy as hell. At least "ITT" sounds a bit more dignified.

I keep wanting to say "Dih-YOOOOOOOOOOOO-ville"

hahahah this is horrible....doesn't help that "D'Youville" sounds goofy as hell. At least "ITT" sounds a bit more dignified.

I can't imagine having that on my resume at a job interview...so I see you went to D'Youville. It looks like a creative play on words that someone made up.

I think it looks more like Do-ya-ville. Do-ya wanna PharmD?! Come to D'Youville:laugh:

It's a real degree-granting college (BA through Doctorate), not really a technical school or anything. That's why I was surprised to see the commercial so crappy like that.

...come to think of it, I've never seen a commercial for a college (besides phoenix and ITT kinda stuff.) It just had that "local-produced" quality, which made it look cheap.

Has anyone received notice for an interview from D'Youville??? I got word that my PharmCas app & supplement have been received and is under review :xf:

Last I checked, there wasn't a supplemental... Unless it's somewhere I couldn't find. Do they require one?

It's a real degree-granting college (BA through Doctorate), not really a technical school or anything. That's why I was surprised to see the commercial so crappy like that.

...come to think of it, I've never seen a commercial for a college (besides phoenix and ITT kinda stuff.) It just had that "local-produced" quality, which made it look cheap.

The only time I've ever seen a commercial for a legitimate college is during televised college sports...and even then, they're few and far between.

When a commercial for the college is sandwiched between the Snuggie and whatever lawyer is suing over Yaz nowadays, I think it speaks volumes about the school.

The only time I've ever seen a commercial for a legitimate college is during televised college sports...and even then, they're few and far between.

When a commercial for the college is sandwiched between the Snuggie and whatever lawyer is suing over Yaz nowadays, I think it speaks volumes about the school.

That is so true and hilarious!!!!!!:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
for some reason this tv commercial you are all talking about reminds me of the cleveland promo thingie

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY[/YOUTUBE]

Last I checked, there wasn't a supplemental... Unless it's somewhere I couldn't find. Do they require one?

My fault, they don't require a supplement application...and believe it or not I live in Erie and LECOM also has a commercial advertising the OSteo. MED school & Pharm. so maybe it's not so heard off?!?

As for their name, it's not their fault it sounds funny. They named it after a saint - Saint Marie-Marguerite d'Youville.

I haven't seen D'Youville's commercial but I watch college football a lot and school commercials are actually the norm (and yes, they are sandwiched between snuggie commercials). They usually have a list of the school's non-sports accomplishments and have a message of something like "leaders on and off the field." They are for the entire school (not for the pharmacy school or med school or arts and sciences). Each school's commercial is played multiple times throughout the football game.

Here is Alabama's commercial that aired throughout the season and during the national championship game (They may have had a different commercial but I do remember them having one)
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEV1EUxZjWQ[/YOUTUBE]
It's not for a pharmacy school but commercials are very common. I actually don't remember watching a football game between two BCS schools and NOT having seen a commercial. Even UB made commercials when they started to get on tv more.

Last edited:
I just got an interview invite today via email!!!:thumbup:

@Shawna, also...when is your interview. I am thinking about applying there too because there is no supplemental application. But I am already applying to like 10 schools

Thanks! I applied in late November. Has anyone interviewed there that wouldn't mind sharing what their interview was like? :)

Me too!!! I just got the e-mail and requested for next sat the 13th :D
They just received my PharmCAS last Wednesday.
@Shawna, I think we will be the first round of interviews

Me too!!! I just got the e-mail and requested for next sat the 13th :D
They just received my PharmCAS last Wednesday.
@Shawna, I think we will be the first round of interviews

Congrats! i'm so excited! I know of a few people that have interviewed there already but not many at all. Hopefully we will have a good shot. If I stay here in NY, D'Youville is my top pick. Otherwise, i really want to go to LECOM Erie.
I have to reply with a date tonight. :soexcited:

What are your stats if you don't mind? My overall is 3.24, PCAT 77 - I was really shocked to get as many interviews as I did because my GPA is on the lower side.

Yes my first choice is LECOM-Erie as well :xf:. My stats are similary to yours:

3.33 GPA, 70 PCAT

Goodluck with your interview, & if you find any info on how the interview is like or go through it, please keep me posted :)

Oh congrats to all! I just got an interview as well. My gpa is a 3.1 so I'm excited I got an interview. I hope their interview process counts for something and they aren't just giving them willy nilly and giving me false hope! I chose wed the 10th as my first choice then the 13th. I'm crossing my fingers, its my first interview! Good luck to all!! =)

Oh congrats to all! I just got an interview as well. My gpa is a 3.1 so I'm excited I got an interview. I hope their interview process counts for something and they aren't just giving them willy nilly and giving me false hope! I chose wed the 10th as my first choice then the 13th. I'm crossing my fingers, its my first interview! Good luck to all!! =)

Congratulations!! I don't think they are picking anyone willy nilly but I heard that they are only accepting 65-75 students for their first class and interviewing a lot more :(

Ah yes shawna, thats what I meant. Whether they would be interviewing a much larger amount compared to the size of thier first class. I should have rephrased myself a little better. Well there goes my sense of security! lol I'm pretty interpersonal and extrovertive so an interview is my meal ticket in, so we will have to see how it pans out! ;)

I can't imagine having that on my resume at a job interview...so I see you went to D'Youville. It looks like a creative play on words that someone made up.

I think it looks more like Do-ya-ville. Do-ya wanna PharmD?! Come to D'Youville:laugh:

I didn't know how you pronounced this school's name until I google D'Youville youtube and this commercial popped up.

Is is me or is this school pronounced De-jew-ville .... wtf? I thought it was Do-You-Ville from just looking @ it.

I didn't know how you pronounced this school's name until I google D'Youville youtube and this commercial popped up.

Is is me or is this school pronounced De-jew-ville .... wtf? I thought it was Do-You-Ville from just looking @ it.
The person in the video was just saying it really fast. Check out the other videos. They just say it really fast so it kind of sounds like a j. More like You're correct on how to pronounce it. I think you just stressed the syllables slightly. Instead of De-you-ville, it's more like dyou-ville. The dy sound kind of sound like a j if you say it really fast.

If a college needs a commercial to get students, it probably sucks.

As for their name, it's not their fault it sounds funny. They named it after a saint - Saint Marie-Marguerite d'Youville.

I haven't seen D'Youville's commercial but I watch college football a lot and school commercials are actually the norm (and yes, they are sandwiched between snuggie commercials). They usually have a list of the school's non-sports accomplishments and have a message of something like "leaders on and off the field." They are for the entire school (not for the pharmacy school or med school or arts and sciences). Each school's commercial is played multiple times throughout the football game.

Here is Alabama's commercial that aired throughout the season and during the national championship game (They may have had a different commercial but I do remember them having one)
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEV1EUxZjWQ[/YOUTUBE]
It's not for a pharmacy school but commercials are very common. I actually don't remember watching a football game between two BCS schools and NOT having seen a commercial. Even UB made commercials when they started to get on tv more.

They're better off naming it the complete name of the saint.

As for commercials like these...they're very non-specific feel good commercials. I see them for PAC-10 all the time. Doesn't tell you anything really specific aside from random facts/figures. The D'Youville commercial sounds like some guy made it in the basement. I'd love to see it.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhCqn3_2lyQ[/YOUTUBE]

If a college needs a commercial to get students, it probably sucks.

Very true, the better the school the less advertisement it needs. You will never see Harvard commericals or advertisements begging people to apply there. :laugh:

I hear commericals on radio stations talking about how good UNC-Pembroke (the crappiest school in NC) is all the time. I also get random mail from colleges that I have NEVER heard of in my life. One time I requested a brochure from Duke and they didn't even mail me anything. That's the difference btw a great school and a crappy one. :laugh:

The same goes with anything in life. You hear Kia and Hyundai commericals all the time with lifetime warranties, those commericals always sound so desperate and still NO ONE wants to drive those cars. While good cars like Mercedes or Lexus you will never hear crap like that about them on TV.

Lol, You people are making too much out of this school before knowing anything about it. The school is actually well established with other health science schools such as PT, PA, and Nnursing. They're just adding a Pharm school to it and I checked out their site & some professors from other great Pharm schools such as Piits., Ohio State, and LECOM are going to be part of the faculty at D'Youville.

After all every great school had to start from scratch right??? :)

Lol, You people are making too much out of this school before knowing anything about it. The school is actually well established with other health science schools such as PT, PA, and Nnursing. They're just adding a Pharm school to it and I checked out their site & some professors from other great Pharm schools such as Piits., Ohio State, and LECOM are going to be part of the faculty at D'Youville.

After all every great school had to start from scratch right??? :)

Well-established according to whom? The school is generally regarded as a joke in the only place in the country where people have heard of it. And regarding their faculty, I beg to differ. I see names like LECOM and Shenendoah popping up, which are far from "great". The chair of pharmacy practice just finished up an MD in Belize (in 2007)...sounds like a great advocate for pharmacy.

And where are the rotations going to be? None of the hospitals around here seem too amenable to taking students. Retail sites are all filled with UB grads who wouldn't touch a D'Youville student with a ten foot pole.

Well-established according to whom? The school is generally regarded as a joke in the only place in the country where people have heard of it. And regarding their faculty, I beg to differ. I see names like LECOM and Shenendoah popping up, which are far from "great". The chair of pharmacy practice just finished up an MD in Belize (in 2007)...sounds like a great advocate for pharmacy.

And where are the rotations going to be? None of the hospitals around here seem too amenable to taking students. Retail sites are all filled with UB grads who wouldn't touch a D'Youville student with a ten foot pole.

Pay rotation sites enough and they'll take on students...won't necessarily mean it'll be a quality rotation, though.

I am from Florida and I have heard of D'youville and I heard that is was a pretty good school. I think it is rude for all of you to go bashing it. They are an established catholic school with existing PT and PA schools. They can't be that horrible to already have a health professions dept with these. Have you seen the plans for the new 23 million dollar building they are putting up just for pharmacy... it looks pretty darn nice to me. Of course they are not going to have established rotations, they haven't even taken in their first year of students yet. Why would they have rotations for students that do not exist yet. True... they are a brand new school, but it is not like they have just thrown up a pharm school to make money like some of these other new ones popping up.

I applied there as a backup school, a really, REALLY backup school. I'm sure everything will end up fine for people who go there, the commercial just made me laugh, that's all. Schools do have to start somewhere, they can't all be established since 1459 BC like UB. Let's not get all pretentious here (read: Med School Syndrome) saying any new school that pops up is a complete ****hole, without even seeing any students attending yet (or the NAPLEX passing rate for that matter.) You have to at least give them the benefit of the doubt, seeing as how they've been given pre-candidate status.

As far as rotations, the school says on their website they have sites, yet are still looking for more. Contradictory, it seems. I'm sure things are cramped enough as it is with UB's classes looking for rotations. Let alone the snubbing that would come from any crossings with a UB SoPPS student. That alone almost makes me not want to go there, being a current UB undergrad student and all.

I am from Florida and I have heard of D'youville and I heard that is was a pretty good school. I think it is rude for all of you to go bashing it. They are an established catholic school with existing PT and PA schools. They can't be that horrible to already have a health professions dept with these. Have you seen the plans for the new 23 million dollar building they are putting up just for pharmacy... it looks pretty darn nice to me. Of course they are not going to have established rotations, they haven't even taken in their first year of students yet. Why would they have rotations for students that do not exist yet. True... they are a brand new school, but it is not like they have just thrown up a pharm school to make money like some of these other new ones popping up.

They should have the rotation sites established because it is an ACPE requirement to have them established. IPPEs require rotation sites, and those begin as early as first year.

Additionally, the school is waiting for pre-candidate status to be granted by the ACPE (it may have happened, the meeting occurred in the last week of January) and the NYS Dept. of Education.

And yes, I have seen the new pharmacy building, and yes, it does look nice. A building is a building, not a good pharmacy school. I can put a 5 year-old behind the wheel of a McLaren and that won't make him a good driver.

I applied there as a backup school, a really, REALLY backup school. I'm sure everything will end up fine for people who go there, the commercial just made me laugh, that's all. Schools do have to start somewhere, they can't all be established since 1459 BC like UB. Let's not get all pretentious here (read: Med School Syndrome) saying any new school that pops up is a complete ****hole, without even seeing any students attending yet (or the NAPLEX passing rate for that matter.) You have to at least give them the benefit of the doubt, seeing as how they've been given pre-candidate status.

As far as rotations, the school says on their website they have sites, yet are still looking for more. Contradictory, it seems. I'm sure things are cramped enough as it is with UB's classes looking for rotations. Let alone the snubbing that would come from any crossings with a UB SoPPS student. That alone almost makes me not want to go there, being a current UB undergrad student and all.

I agree with you that they do have to start somewhere. My main issue with D'Youville is that it is opening in a region that clearly has no need for an additional pharmacy school. There are 3 schools within a two hour drive already, in an area that was doing fine with only one school up until a few years ago.

I think the school is doing its future students a disservice. There are a very limited number of willing preceptors and rotation sites in the Buffalo area, and most of those have well-established links with other schools in the area. In addition to personal reasons for thinking this is a bad combination (I don't want good rotation sites to be bought out from under me), the students from D'Youville will also have to contend with overcrowded rotations and preceptors who simply don't have the time to keep up with students from four different schools of pharmacy.

Yes, I have personal reasons to dislike the fact that another school is opening just a few miles from mine. But there are very good, non-personal reasons why it's just a bad idea.

I'm sure they have some sites established then because I believe they got precandidate status. I'm just tired of seeing all the bashing on these forums... they are meant to help each other. It doesn't really help your peers to sit here and make fun of a schools name... lol particularly when its a saints name -is that a sin haha??

They did get pre-candidate status, they just haven't updated their website yet. Seems to be a trend among pharmacy schools.

I didn't see your post before I just posted... you have legitimate reasons for saying all of this. I completely understand how you feel, I would probably be irritated too! You are presenting facts which I appreciate (unlike some others)

My main issue with D'Youville is that it is opening in a region that clearly has no need for an additional pharmacy school. There are 3 schools within a two hour drive already, in an area that was doing fine with only one school up until a few years ago.
Does this mean you also don't like SJF? From what I got from Fisher's interview, they want to serve Rochester and don't really want to impede on Buffalo. The dead aid that Bob Wegmans said they had hard time hiring pharmacists in Rochester.I think you can do rotations in buffalo, but they really want to serve the Rochester area and most of the rotations sites will be there.

Does this mean you also don't like SJF? From what I got from Fisher's interview, they want to serve Rochester and don't really want to impede on Buffalo. The dead aid that Bob Wegmans said they had hard time hiring pharmacists in Rochester.I think you can do rotations in buffalo, but they really want to serve the Rochester area and most of the rotations sites will be there.

SJFC is an example of a new school that I don't really have too much of a problem with. They've recruited excellent faculty, and have affiliations with excellent teaching institutions. The administration is active in the pharmacy community in the area and right now, I think they're doing everything that a new school should be doing.

I've seen a couple of instances where rotation spots have been lost to Fisher, and that kind of bothers me. However, like you said, most of the rotations are completed in Rochester or further east, so it doesn't impede on an existing school very much. D'Youville, on the other hand, is located within a few miles of another extremely well-established school in a community that has been doing nothing but shrinking for the last 30+ years.

SJFC is an example of a new school that I don't really have too much of a problem with. They've recruited excellent faculty, and have affiliations with excellent teaching institutions. The administration is active in the pharmacy community in the area and right now, I think they're doing everything that a new school should be doing.

I've seen a couple of instances where rotation spots have been lost to Fisher, and that kind of bothers me. However, like you said, most of the rotations are completed in Rochester or further east, so it doesn't impede on an existing school very much. D'Youville, on the other hand, is located within a few miles of another extremely well-established school in a community that has been doing nothing but shrinking for the last 30+ years.

Are you scared of a little competition??? :laugh:
Okay before you jump down my throat let the school get established okay...check the site...
"As of July 2009, D’Youville College School of Pharmacy (DYCSOP) has 26 signed agreements with both community and institutional pharmacies. These agreements provide 321 IPPE rotations and 374 APPE rotations. "
What does this tell you now?

I'm sure they have some sites established then because I believe they got precandidate status. I'm just tired of seeing all the bashing on these forums... they are meant to help each other. It doesn't really help your peers to sit here and make fun of a schools name... lol particularly when its a saints name -is that a sin haha??

:thumbup:....Excellent point...we should be uplifting each other :)

Are you scared of a little competition??? :laugh:
Okay before you jump down my throat let the school get established okay...check the site...
"As of July 2009, D’Youville College School of Pharmacy (DYCSOP) has 26 signed agreements with both community and institutional pharmacies. These agreements provide 321 IPPE rotations and 374 APPE rotations. "
What does this tell you now?

Tells me nothing. We need breakdown (25 community pharms and 1 hospital?) and wtf does 321 and 374 mean? positions? hours? how many students at each site? For IPPE, are these broken down by year or semester..or total?

If it's sessions... 75 students x 6 rotations each = 450 APPE rotations needed. i would wanna know where the acute and am care rotations are going to be done. i would also want to know how many other students

Tells me nothing. We need breakdown (25 community pharms and 1 hospital?) and wtf does 321 and 374 mean? positions? hours? how many students at each site? For IPPE, are these broken down by year or semester..or total?

If it's sessions... 75 students x 6 rotations each = 450 APPE rotations needed. i would wanna know where the acute and am care rotations are going to be done. i would also want to know how many other students

I will be quit frank with you, I don't know enough either but I do know once I go to the interview, there is gonna be alot of questions asked and clarifications on the program structure.

I will be quit frank with you, I don't know enough either but I do know once I go to the interview, there is gonna be alot of questions asked and clarifications on the program structure.

just things to think about...hopefully everyone will get an idea as to what questions to ask.

i tend to poke holes at numbers/figures that are presented. you wouldn't believe how much you can hide with statistics but still be truthful.