Early MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kennyram401

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever taken the MCAT before finishing the required classes? If so, what were the results?

Members don't see this ad.

I've had a couple of friends take the MCAT before physics, ochem 2, and psy/soc and score wonderfully, but they are also absolute rockstars and absolutely slayed the MCAT. If you want to skip the course, your independent study will have to be much more thorough

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I took the (old) MCAT before biochem and did well. However, I do feel that it hurt me somewhat. I only scored a 12 on the biological sciences section and I think that's because the last section was a section about carbohydrates which I did poorly on. I took it rushed because I wanted to take it before it changed to the new MCAT, but would definitely recommend waiting until you complete all the prerequisites. There's really no disadvantage (unless you're completing prereqs your senior year and really don't want to take a gap year, but in that case, ask yourself why you really don't want to take a gap year.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the new MCAT without taking sociology/psychology for a 129 in that section (not stellar but I'll take it), but I might argue that those classes might be the easiest to get by without having to take formalized courses due to a lot of terminology from what I remember. As someone out of undergrad for 4 years though, I spent 12 months preparing for it after work, on lunch breaks etc. Difficult to say definitively whether you'd be okay without taking the pre-reqs, but I think it all depends on how much you're willing to invest in areas that you haven't learned yet.

I took the new MCAT without having taken either Biochem or Sociology. I was able to self study for both subjects. I was very satisfied with my score, but it is possible that I left points on the table by not having taken either course. I would recommend taking biochem because it is all over the new MCAT. If you need to skip a course, I would say Sociology is the easiest to self study for the test.

I took the new MCAT without physics 2 or Biochemistry. Scored a 516 but got only a 126 on Chem/Physics. I think I would have done better. It's possible to do but it just means tons of independent study

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile