economics of anesthesia, plz here me out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some mentally challenged dude at the ASA must have come up with this idea. We need to introduce a resolution at the ASA that will ban all CRNAs from being able to obtain an ASA membership. Try to get an AANA membership as a non-CRNA to see if you can.

The ASA had a policy of trying to be very cordial with the AANA/CRNA. You see where that has gotten them so far. Meanwhile, the militant AANA won't let anyone other than a CRNA Attend their meetings or conferences.

I wonder if the DNAP CRNA will be eligible for the Anesthesiology Board Certification exams? Maybe, even a fellowship at a ABA Pain Program?:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Some mentally challenged dude at the ASA must have come up with this idea. We need to introduce a resolution at the ASA that will ban all CRNAs from being able to obtain an ASA membership. Try to get an AANA membership as a non-CRNA to see if you can.

Agreed. A resolution banning them from ASA meetings needs to be introduced. Did we let them vote on resolutions too? :rolleyes:

I try not to get involved in these threads. I usually go past them. But I couldn't let this one pass. I'll tell you all, I don't understand the ASA's thinking in letting CRNA's come to the national meeting or any other meeting that it sponsors. I just don't get it. I have some guys in my practice that are pretty involved with the ASA and they aren't particularly happy with this either. A previous poster brought up the fact that we train SRNA's alongside residents. It's no wonder we breed militant CRNA's. We teach them how to do lines, epidurals, and regional. We let them induce/intubate/emerge without ever showing up. We leave SRNA's in rooms without any supervision. Now after years of this we wonder why they feel we are not needed. Sometimes I don't blame them. Now our national organization is allowing them to come to a meeting which is meant for a physician audience. It is kinda hard to understand the logic process here. Maybe they will all sign up for the pain medicine track in Orlando so that they can say they are qualified to practice pain medicine and they have the ASA sponsored CME credits to prove it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I try not to get involved in these threads. I usually go past them. But I couldn't let this one pass. I'll tell you all, I don't understand the ASA's thinking in letting CRNA's come to the national meeting or any other meeting that it sponsors. I just don't get it. I have some guys in my practice that are pretty involved with the ASA and they aren't particularly happy with this either. A previous poster brought up the fact that we train SRNA's alongside residents. It's no wonder we breed militant CRNA's. We teach them how to do lines, epidurals, and regional. We let them induce/intubate/emerge without ever showing up. We leave SRNA's in rooms without any supervision. Now after years of this we wonder why they feel we are not needed. Sometimes I don't blame them. Now our national organization is allowing them to come to a meeting which is meant for a physician audience. It is kinda hard to understand the logic process here. Maybe they will all sign up for the pain medicine track in Orlando so that they can say they are qualified to practice pain medicine and they have the ASA sponsored CME credits to prove it.

I have said it before and I will say it again: We are our own worst enemy

I'm only an M1, but am planning on joining the ASA very soon. Have any of you members contacted the ASA and expressed your concern about them inviting and training CRNAs to kill the specialty? I just think this is ridiculous. Why are we sharing so much knowledge with them? Makes no sense.

Guys, this is not a new thing. CRNA's have always been able to attend the ASA Annual Meeting, but in pretty low numbers, and I would be willing to bet that most of the ones that do attend do so with their anesthesiologist spouse.

Several academic programs are starting to wake up to the fact that they are their own worst enemy. However, many groups as well as academic departments are making money off their SRNA's - they're not paid a dime (unlike residents) yet they can bill for their services.

Guys, this is not a new thing. CRNA's have always been able to attend the ASA Annual Meeting, but in pretty low numbers, and I would be willing to bet that most of the ones that do attend do so with their anesthesiologist spouse.

This little loophole needs to end. Not ONE CRNA should be allowed in.

I'm only an M1, but am planning on joining the ASA very soon. Have any of you members contacted the ASA and expressed your concern about them inviting and training CRNAs to kill the specialty? I just think this is ridiculous. Why are we sharing so much knowledge with them? Makes no sense.

I wrote to the ASA last year expressing my concerns. And as a paying member of the ASA I got nada, nil, zip, not even a thank you for your concerns. If they care about us, they sure have a funny way of showing it.

This little loophole needs to end. Not ONE CRNA should be allowed in.

I followed your link to http://www.webnp.net/downloads/pearson_report08/ajnp_pearson08.pdf .

Wading through some of the BS, one thing on the chart caught my eye. There was a column headed "Doctorate NP addressed "Dr."?

For all of the blubbering by DNP and DNAP proponents, all of whom proclaim that being called "Dr." is not one of their goals, there it is, in black and white, as a survey item in a chart about NP practice. At least a few states have the guts to say NO, you can't!

I followed your link to http://www.webnp.net/downloads/pearson_report08/ajnp_pearson08.pdf .

Wading through some of the BS, one thing on the chart caught my eye. There was a column headed "Doctorate NP addressed "Dr."?

For all of the blubbering by DNP and DNAP proponents, all of whom proclaim that being called "Dr." is not one of their goals, there it is, in black and white, as a survey item in a chart about NP practice. At least a few states have the guts to say NO, you can't!

Bingo! Why don't they call a spade a spade? They think that they can distract us from their real goals. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what their true intentions are.

I've been donating my hard earned money to the ASA for the past 3 years. But i'm gettin' fed up.

Why we continue to train SRNA/CRNAs and allow them into our organization is beyond my understanding. Didn't they lobby against and KILL our teaching rule bill a while back??

You guys remember Mark Lema posting here? How he avoided addressing the CRNA issue? Except to tell us that we're acting childish. His vision was for us to GIVE UP the OR.

He KNEW what was going on, but didn't do JACK SQUAT about it:
http://www.asahq.org/Newsletters/2007/01-07/admin01_07.html

"At the eleventh hour, outgoing Chairman Bill Thomas (R-CA) of the House Ways and Means Committee dropped ASA’s Medicare Anesthesiology Teaching Rule reform bill (H.R. 5246/S. 2990) from the final Medicare SGR and tax-cut package due to intense intervention by the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists (AANA)." "So, what might be the AANA’s real strategy? From where I sit, it might be an attempt to kick us when we’re vulnerable by hurting our academic programs while alleging that they’re in trouble as well. I also believe that by lumping doctor training with nurse training, they subliminally try to elevate their education to that of a physician, purposefully trying to mislead the public through the legislative process. Finally, they use these legislative issues as a smoke screen to secure windfall profits largely for their hospital employers and independent practice nurses. In short, this stinks!"

Duh! Yea it stinks :rolleyes:... Back then, the ASA did NOTHING about this?? I would've sent a message to all academic chairs and anesthesiologists to immediately STOP teaching/training SRNA/CRNAs at their hospital. No CRNA attendance at our conferences. PUBLIC AWARENESS. Getting the opt-out states to change their rules. NO INDEPENDANT PRACTICE.

The ASA gets 3 thumbs down :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown: (out of 4). However, I think I'll still donate this year given their efforts in the recent passing of the teaching bill...

Could this rant could be moved to the debates section, please?

I've been donating my hard earned money to the ASA for the past 3 years. But i'm gettin' fed up.

Why we continue to train SRNA/CRNAs and allow them into our organization is beyond my understanding. Didn't they lobby against and KILL our teaching rule bill a while back??

You guys remember Mark Lema posting here? How he avoided addressing the CRNA issue? Except to tell us that we're acting childish. His vision was for us to GIVE UP the OR.

He KNEW what was going on, but didn't do JACK SQUAT about it:
http://www.asahq.org/Newsletters/2007/01-07/admin01_07.html

"At the eleventh hour, outgoing Chairman Bill Thomas (R-CA) of the House Ways and Means Committee dropped ASA’s Medicare Anesthesiology Teaching Rule reform bill (H.R. 5246/S. 2990) from the final Medicare SGR and tax-cut package due to intense intervention by the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists (AANA)." "So, what might be the AANA’s real strategy? From where I sit, it might be an attempt to kick us when we’re vulnerable by hurting our academic programs while alleging that they’re in trouble as well. I also believe that by lumping doctor training with nurse training, they subliminally try to elevate their education to that of a physician, purposefully trying to mislead the public through the legislative process. Finally, they use these legislative issues as a smoke screen to secure windfall profits largely for their hospital employers and independent practice nurses. In short, this stinks!"

Duh! Yea it stinks :rolleyes:... Back then, the ASA did NOTHING about this?? I would've sent a message to all academic chairs and anesthesiologists to immediately STOP teaching/training SRNA/CRNAs at their hospital. No CRNA attendance at our conferences. PUBLIC AWARENESS. Getting the opt-out states to change their rules. NO INDEPENDANT PRACTICE.

The ASA gets 3 thumbs down :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown: (out of 4). However, I think I'll still donate this year given their efforts in the recent passing of the teaching bill...

Something is in the works. Join the private forum to learn more.

I am currently between ASA memberships as my residency one has lapsed and I have not yet reapplied. Is there another way to join the private forum or do I need to wait until I reapply? PM me if you prefer. thanks

I am currently between ASA memberships as my residency one has lapsed and I have not yet reapplied. Is there another way to join the private forum or do I need to wait until I reapply? PM me if you prefer. thanks

Why not use your old number? How about a copy of your medical license or Residency Certificate? Just a few ideas.

Blade

If the mods are willing to accept any of those I'll be more than happy to provide them in a PM.