Edward Via - Carolinas (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah unfortunately, VCOM is one of the few that ACTUALLY requires a DO letter. Just do what my friend did; get your yellowbook, call EVERY SINGLE DO doctor until one agrees to take you as a volunteer and to write a rec letter prior to starting. This sounds somewhat ridiculous but it worked for my buddy and he got into VCOM Blackburg.

+1 to this. It was obvious to me that VCOM seemed to care about experiences with DOs. One of my faculty interviews was about all of my experiences and most of what we talked about was my DO shadowing experiences (I have a lot). Definitely an important thing to have if applying to VCOM!

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to lgin to do my secondary and it is not letting me. Anyone have this problem? I put in my email in ID field and my aacomas id 2013 in the other field with no space or hypen and it keeps saying incorrect.

Hmm no I am sorry, I don't know how to fix this problem. I would email or call the main office (found on the website) and see how they can help.

I will tell you, however, that last cycle I submitted a secondary application pretty late (November 2011) for another school and didn't get an interview invite until their very last interview date, which was in the middle of February. It might already be too late for you to try and submit your secondary. But who's to say, I'd call VCOM and ask if there are still interview slots available, they might do things differently.

Best of luck and I hate to be a downer!

I interviewed this week and just found out I was waitlisted :thumbdown: but the email says "Please know we are extremely interested in your application yet do not have any seats available at this time." Does every waitlist email say that and they are just being nice, or is the class actually full? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed this week and just found out I was waitlisted :thumbdown: but the email says "Please know we are extremely interested in your application yet do not have any seats available at this time." Does every waitlist email say that and they are just being nice, or is the class actually full? :confused:

:( That is not good... I interviewed last week but have not heard yet...

When I interviewed we specifically asked if there were spots left - they said yes and that because of this they would give us either an acceptance or a rejection. They only waitlist once they have filled the entire class (which at the time of interviewing was only 2/3 full).

Now... I just wait... :xf:

:( That is not good... I interviewed last week but have not heard yet...

When I interviewed we specifically asked if there were spots left - they said yes and that because of this they would give us either an acceptance or a rejection. They only waitlist once they have filled the entire class (which at the time of interviewing was only 2/3 full).

Now... I just wait... :xf:

Soooo basically they filled that last third in the last week or so hahaha. At least I know they're not lying to me I guess! I only got the email like a half hour ago. When did you interview?? That's weird you haven't heard a thing...

Just got great news from VCOM- CC! I have been ADMITTED to the Class of 2017! Interviewed on Monday, I received the phone call about an hour ago! SUPER EXCITED!

Soooo basically they filled that last third in the last week or so hahaha. At least I know they're not lying to me I guess! I only got the email like a half hour ago. When did you interview?? That's weird you haven't heard a thing...

I got the call! I'm accepted! :D The call didn't go through, I just got the voicemail, but also got an email confirming it. SO happy, I loved this school and their mission!! :love: :D

EDIT: I interviewed Jan 30th. I don't know if they rank the waitlist by when they waitlisted you or by a score - if by when, you should move right up if someone declines!

I got the call! I'm accepted! :D The call didn't go through, I just got the voicemail, but also got an email confirming it. SO happy, I loved this school and their mission!! :love: :D

EDIT: I interviewed Jan 30th. I don't know if they rank the waitlist by when they waitlisted you or by a score - if by when, you should move right up if someone declines!

Congrats!! I guess they were just holding off on you because they were so close to filling up their class. Happy for u! :thumbup:

After I received my email, I got a call from Gail an hour or so later. I think it's awesome that admissions calls waitlisted people to talk to them about it; it shows the administration cares about students/prospective students. The waitlist IS ranked (I'm hoping that works out in my favor....somehow hahaha). They've given out the 162 acceptances but obviously not all have put deposits. And since people only have 2 weeks to put the deposit down, it seems that the waitlist could potentially move soon. Here's hoping! :xf:

Just got great news from VCOM- CC! I have been ADMITTED to the Class of 2017! Interviewed on Monday, I received the phone call about an hour ago! SUPER EXCITED!

Congrats! You interviewed with me :) you got better news though hahaha lucky!

Yeah we must have! What was your overall feel for the school? I thought the atmosphere was incredibly inviting promoting a well rounded medical education.

Well, here's to hoping all goes well for you and hearing back soon!

I don't think the class is actually full because I have my interview on monday (if it was full then there's no point in intervieweing any other applicants)

What were your stats?

Yeah we must have! What was your overall feel for the school? I thought the atmosphere was incredibly inviting promoting a well rounded medical education.

Well, here's to hoping all goes well for you and hearing back soon!

I loved it! They were the most inviting school I've seen! And thank you :) congrats again on the acceptance!

I don't think the class is actually full because I have my interview on monday (if it was full then there's no point in intervieweing any other applicants)

What were your stats?

I got to talk to the admissions director. They don't have all the deposits but they have given out 162 acceptances (that's their max). This week is when they hit that max. But they only give 2 weeks to give the deposit so places can open up soon. Also, if you look at a few posts earlier, VCOM either accepts or rejects people post-interview and only starts to waitlist people once they have given out all the seats. So essentially there's not many on the waitlist now and they do need to keep interviewing.

MCAT: 28
cGPA: 3.28
sGPA: 3.24

Lots of volunteer hours, research, DO shadowing, and a masters degree.

Good luck next week! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I got to talk to the admissions director. They don't have all the deposits but they have given out 162 acceptances (that's their max). This week is when they hit that max. But they only give 2 weeks to give the deposit so places can open up soon. Also, if you look at a few posts earlier, VCOM either accepts or rejects people post-interview and only starts to waitlist people once they have given out all the seats. So essentially there's not many on the waitlist now and they do need to keep interviewing.

MCAT: 28
cGPA: 3.28
sGPA: 3.24

Lots of volunteer hours, research, DO shadowing, and a masters degree.

Good luck next week! :thumbup:

Thanks!

My stats are:

MCAT: 26
cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.6
- Research
- Head scribe at a Faith based local free clinic
- Emergency room scribe
- lots of volunteer work hours
- International volunteer in Nepal for 3 months
and etc.

VCOM is my top choice so hopefully I'll have a good news by Thursday! BEST OF WISHES TO YOU TOO!

All I know is that the only reason they will allow you to defer is for extreme circumstances such as family or financial crisis or perhaps you are continuing an ongoing research project. You will have to explain your reasoning to them and they will run it past the committee for their decision.

Was accepted back at the beginning of November for class of 2017 but deferred and was granted deferrment to class of 2018

Was accepted back at the beginning of November for class of 2017 but deferred and was granted deferrment to class of 2018

Glad you were able to get what you want :) congrats! and also very appreciate you've opened up a spot for next years class ;) :thumbup:

Glad you were able to get what you want :) congrats! and also very appreciate you've opened up a spot for next years class ;) :thumbup:

Of course I would have loved to be in this 2017 class just so I could have got the ball rolling but circumstances prevented that from happening. So the 20 months of waiting is in full swing.

Anybody know if the waitlist is ranked at VCOM-Carolinas?

Of course I would have loved to be in this 2017 class just so I could have got the ball rolling but circumstances prevented that from happening. So the 20 months of waiting is in full swing.

Totally understand people do deferrment for significant reasons. Hope all is well with you this year :thumbup:

Anybody know if the waitlist is ranked at VCOM-Carolinas?

It is. Not sure exactly HOW it's ranked, but it is. From now on, I'm assuming that everyone gets some type of ranking and the highest people get accepted (whether or not you just interviewed or your waitlisted), but that's just my own speculation. I know that's how it works at some other schools though.

I was also told that once interviews are complete in April the highest 10 people on the waitlist will be notified of their status because at that point you could have as little as 24 hours to put down a deposit. Therefore, they warn people that they may need that money in a short amount of time. Hope that helps :)

Have any of you guys received an ii in the past few days? I've been reading the this thread and it doesn't seem like it.

I have an interview on Monday feb. 18th!! By the looks of this thread probably won't get much more than wait listed at this time.

I have an interview on Monday feb. 18th!! By the looks of this thread probably won't get much more than wait listed at this time.

Congrats on the interview! :) I wouldn't let it get you down too much, It's all dependent on how many people are actually putting that deposit down. You have to assume that at this point many people have already put a deposit down somewhere else and aren't willing to put another one down. It will move I'm sure. Good luck next week! :thumbup:

I interviewed on 2/11 and we asked how many spots they had left. Gail said at that point they still had 8 spots to offer. There were 8 of us at the interview so they basically said we would be accepted or rejected, and not wait listed. And, they also said that one of the two week decision periods was on 2/15 for accepted students so depending on whether or not people deposited they could have up to 30 spots left.

I should be hearing back this week and am excited...but now I'm confused why they told others that the class was full. :confused:

Maybe some spots have opened by people declining acceptances for other schools.

Did they say that nobody would be wait listed only rejected or accepted?

The way I took it was that we would be accepted or rejected because they have the spots, but maybe I was misinterpreting what Gail said. All I know for sure is that at this point they do still have open spots, very few, but at least a handful.

Anyone who was already accepted...when did you get a call? They said that the committee meets on Wednesday, so did you get a call Thursday and around what time of the day?

Hmmmmm. Well maybe more spots opened since my interview day OR they saved a few for special people and I just wasn't special enough lol. When I talked to Gail on the phone she told me 162 offers went out (direct quote), so my best assumption is some people declined their acceptances since then. No way to know for sure I guess! Good luck this week all :)

Don't say that! I am sure you are special enough :). From what I have heard lots of people get taken off of the waitlist with medical schools. I'm just nervous because I got accepted at another school this past week and have two weeks to decide if I am going to go there. Edward Via is my top choice though, so if I end up getting waitlisted, I would commit to the other school and the deposit is a little too hefty to change my mind later in the game if I get taken off of the waitlist. So I think I would prefer either an acceptance or rejection (preferably an acceptance! haha).

The way I took it was that we would be accepted or rejected because they have the spots, but maybe I was misinterpreting what Gail said. All I know for sure is that at this point they do still have open spots, very few, but at least a handful.

Anyone who was already accepted...when did you get a call? They said that the committee meets on Wednesday, so did you get a call Thursday and around what time of the day?

This could be different for every committee meeting, but I got a call the same day the committee met (and I expected it the day after too). If it goes the same way, they meet in the morning, and I got a call in the afternoon, like 2 or 3. Hopefully that helps! I got accepted, so I'll be sending good vibes your way!

CONGRATS to you both!

Edward Via is my top choice though, so if I end up getting waitlisted, I would commit to the other school and the deposit is a little too hefty to change my mind later in the game if I get taken off of the waitlist. So I think I would prefer either an acceptance or rejection (preferably an acceptance! haha).

The way I see it, going to your top medical school for four years trumps a couple thousand dollars. After all, we're going to to have tens of thousands of dollars in student loans to pay off - what's another thousand or so? haha

That being said, good luck and hopefully you get in!

They sent out an email yesterday to remind us about the deadline for the deposit and the following:

"If you already know your decision, I would love to hear from you regarding whether or not you will be accepting or declining your seat for 2017.
The reason for my inquiry is that we have now filled our regular seats and have begun placing students on our waitlist. Although I would love to have you here with us in the fall, I know you must find the best fit for you. I would appreciate it if you would let me know if you will not be accepting your seat in order to go ahead and release your seat. You will make an individual from the waitlist VERY happy!"

So if someone was kind enough to withdraw after that email, more seats should open soon. My deadline for the deposit is Feb 25 (which I already submitted) so you guys on the waitlist should hear right after that if someone did not submit theirs!

Good luck! :xf: :luck:

They sent out an email yesterday to remind us about the deadline for the deposit and the following:

"If you already know your decision, I would love to hear from you regarding whether or not you will be accepting or declining your seat for 2017.
The reason for my inquiry is that we have now filled our regular seats and have begun placing students on our waitlist. Although I would love to have you here with us in the fall, I know you must find the best fit for you. I would appreciate it if you would let me know if you will not be accepting your seat in order to go ahead and release your seat. You will make an individual from the waitlist VERY happy!"

So if someone was kind enough to withdraw after that email, more seats should open soon. My deadline for the deposit is Feb 25 (which I already submitted) so you guys on the waitlist should hear right after that if someone did not submit theirs!

Good luck! :xf: :luck:

Thanks for sharing that email! It makes it sound like they are thinking of us small people on the waitlist :) lol. It's good to know!

Just got waitlisted! Does anyone know if they are still interviewing to add to the list?

Just got waitlisted! Does anyone know if they are still interviewing to add to the list?

Yeah I believe they interview next month too :( they just STARTED the waitlist the week I got waitlisted I think and that was a week and a half ago. There can't be too many of us on there right now.

Ugh! I wish they wouldn't interview more!! Do you know if with each commitee meeting they look at the wait list people or just those that most recently interviewed?

Ugh! I wish they wouldn't interview more!! Do you know if with each commitee meeting they look at the wait list people or just those that most recently interviewed?
When they called me for mine they said the only days left where feb 12, feb 19, feb 27 and feb 28. I am interviewing feb 27. LET'S START A LIST OF WAITLISTED APLICANTS. so if you have been WAITLISTED start a listed and then copy and repaste it with your interview date. This way we can see how many are on the waitlist. From what I can see is not that many. Hopefully seats open up at the end of the month. Good luck everyone!

When they called me for mine they said the only days left where feb 12, feb 19, feb 27 and feb 28. I am interviewing feb 27. LET'S START A LIST OF WAITLISTED APLICANTS. so if you have been WAITLISTED start a listed and then copy and repaste it with your interview date. This way we can see how many are on the waitlist. From what I can see is not that many. Hopefully seats open up at the end of the month. Good luck everyone!
For those waitlisted, Also post which campus you interviewed at.

VCOM WAIT LIST: (ready set go!)

Koko12: interview feb 27, Virginia campus (possible waitlist).

Gail emailed me today and they are starting to rank the waitlist! I am in the top tier!! Yay:)

Gail emailed me today and they are starting to rank the waitlist! I am in the top tier!! Yay:)

WAH. Is this for the CC campus? I didn't get an email :( but congrats!! When did you get the email?

WAH. Is this for the CC campus? I didn't get an email :( but congrats!! When did you get the email?

Thanks:)!! And yes its for the CC. I think she just let me know because I had emailed her asking about the ranking and when it would be done/ when would people on the waitlist be pulled.:thumbup:

Thanks:)!! And yes its for the CC. I think she just let me know because I had emailed her asking about the ranking and when it would be done/ when would people on the waitlist be pulled.:thumbup:

Ohhhhh okay it makes me feel better you emailed her :) did she say anything about when waitlisted people would be pulled?

Ohhhhh okay it makes me feel better you emailed her :) did she say anything about when waitlisted people would be pulled?

She said that they are continuing to interview students but every two weeks seats may become available as students decide to attend or not attend VCOM. She said those seats will be filled with interview students and students off of the wait list! Fingers Crossed!

She said that they are continuing to interview students but every two weeks seats may become available as students decide to attend or not attend VCOM. She said those seats will be filled with interview students and students off of the wait list! Fingers Crossed!

Hmmmmmm interesting. I wonder how much longer they are going to interview. I know koko said a few more days for VA above but I'm not sure if the VA and SC campus do things the exact same way. I wish we knew :oops:

Hmmmmmm interesting. I wonder how much longer they are going to interview. I know koko said a few more days for VA above but I'm not sure if the VA and SC campus do things the exact same way. I wish we knew :oops:

Keep your head up! I have heard so many stories where people were accepted just a month or two before or all the way up until the day before classes start. I know that I got accepted to a school after being waitlisted for two months. Try and stay positive!!! We're all here for ya.

I appreciate the kind words JuneBugg! :)

Hey all. I received an ii for March 6! Gail said it was more than likely for a waitlist spot but I'm just thankful for an opportunity to interview and share my heart for medicine! Anyone else interviewing soon?

Hey all. I received an ii for March 6! Gail said it was more than likely for a waitlist spot but I'm just thankful for an opportunity to interview and share my heart for medicine! Anyone else interviewing soon?
Awesome! I'm interviewing Wednesday for the Virginia campus. I flight out tommorrow morning. Good luck on your interview! Today is when a lot of the deposits are due for acceptances or so I read on the newsfeed....I'm hoping that means spots start to open up for those who are not Wanting to attend here :)) I'm super excited to see the school and the area.

Awesome! I'm interviewing Wednesday for the Virginia campus. I flight out tommorrow morning. Good luck on your interview! Today is when a lot of the deposits are due for acceptances or so I read on the newsfeed....I'm hoping that means spots start to open up for those who are not Wanting to attend here :)) I'm super excited to see the school and the area.
This thread is strictly for the Carolinas campus. Use the Virginias thread.