EK 10th ed. Bio vs. TBR 2015 Bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joe7456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering which book will yield the most efficient results. I understand TBR is detailed. I have both books, taking MCAT may 18, so just wondering which book I should read through?

While you're here; if you had to spend 1 month on EK biomolecules 101/EK biology 101 (new books) vs. TBR bio 1 &2 passages, which passages would you invest your time in and why?

Members don't see this ad.

those books are extremely new, especially EK 101 biology systems 2; it became available to buy on amazon about 4 days ago. I'm working through EK 101 molecules now; it is excellent.

Reactions: 1 user
Neither is perfect. TBR is too detailed and lots of its biochem material is actually in the second TBR ochem book. EK is not detailed enough. Both EK and TBR spend too much time on the now deemphasized physiology topics. If you have the time time, do TBR. If you don't, do EK. But in either case, you will encounter stuff that takes you by surprise as you go through the AAMC materials. You can then learn those novel topics, whether from google or a textbook.

As for the new EK 101 (and the 30 minute exams) vs TBR passages, EK wins hands down. The EK passages do a much better job capturing the style of the new MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Neither is perfect. TBR is too detailed and lots of its biochem material is actually in the second TBR ochem book. EK is not detailed enough. Both EK and TBR spend too much time on the now deemphasized physiology topics. If you have the time time, do TBR. If you don't, do EK. But in either case, you will encounter stuff that takes you by surprise as you go through the AAMC materials. You can then learn those novel topics, whether from google or a textbook.

As for the new EK 101 (and the 30 minute exams) vs TBR passages, EK wins hands down. The EK passages do a much better job capturing the style of the new MCAT.

AnotherLawyer
On what basis do you claim that physiology topics are now deemphasized? Foundational Concept 3 in the current AAMC Official Guide includes many items related to structure and function of the nervous and endocrine system and the organ systems.

Also, can you explain how the style of the EK101 passages are different from the TBR passages?

Members don't see this ad :)
AnotherLawyer
On what basis do you claim that physiology topics are now deemphasized? Foundational Concept 3 in the current AAMC Official Guide includes many items related to structure and function of the nervous and endocrine system and the organ systems.

Also, can you explain how the style of the EK101 passages are different from the TBR passages?

Deemphasized doesn't mean no longer tested. Physiology will be on your MCAT. What it means, though, is that when EK produces a systems book that is 50% longer than its thin molecules book, it's gotten it wrong. TBR's physiology is even more overkill. My basis is having done every single question released by the AAMC for the new MCAT and having taken the new MCAT.

The EK101 passages, in my opinion, far better capture the type of experimental and data interpretation passages you'll see on the real MCAT. I've never looked at either company's CARS problems, so I have no opinion on that.

Deemphasized doesn't mean no longer tested. Physiology will be on your MCAT. What it means, though, is that when EK produces a systems book that is 50% longer than its thin molecules book, it's gotten it wrong. TBR's physiology is even more overkill. My basis is having done every single question released by the AAMC for the new MCAT and having taken the new MCAT.

The EK101 passages, in my opinion, far better capture the type of experimental and data interpretation passages you'll see on the real MCAT. I've never looked at either company's CARS problems, so I have no opinion on that.
Would you say EK101 bests TBR passages in all areas of Bio, Physics and Chem or are you referring just to the new EK101 Biomolecules book?

Would you say EK101 bests TBR passages in all areas of Bio, Physics and Chem or are you referring just to the new EK101 Biomolecules book?

You have to be very careful with these questions. Very few people have used the resources from more than one company, and even those who have haven't done any sort of controlled comparison of the two. So take my answer with a grain of salt.

The only EK 101 book I used was biomolecules. I have, however, done almost all of the EK 30 min exams and the EK passages > TBR passages for all the sciences. If the EK 101 chem and physics books are like the 30 min exams, like the biomolecules book is, then I would choose them over TBR as well.

Also keep in mind that I don't think the TBR passages are bad. I just think the EK are better.

You have to be very careful with these questions. Very few people have used the resources from more than one company, and even those who have haven't done any sort of controlled comparison of the two. So take my answer with a grain of salt.

The only EK 101 book I used was biomolecules. I have, however, done almost all of the EK 30 min exams and the EK passages > TBR passages for all the sciences. If the EK 101 chem and physics books are like the 30 min exams, like the biomolecules book is, then I would choose them over TBR as well.

Also keep in mind that I don't think the TBR passages are bad. I just think the EK are better.
Understood. Just trying to decide if I should stop using the TBR Bio2 book and buy the EK101 Biomolecules to use instead.

Last edited: