EK101 Verbal vs. The real thing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those that already took the MCAT and used EK101 to study, how did your real score compare with the score that you had been getting on the passages from EK101.

The only reason that I ask this in this forum because I don't think enough past MCAT takers read that forum still.

Members don't see this ad.

I think EK's 101 verbal passages were pretty accurate. Same level of difficulty and scoring was just right.

yeah best out theer, i was gettin 9s and 10s on it, got 9 on real thing

Members don't see this ad :)
The EK passages were by far the closest to the real thing, with the TPR Verbal Workbook from the class being the 2nd best. I consistently got 11s on the EK tests and 11 on the real thing.

EK Verbal 101 is an EXCELLENT practice verbal WORKBOOK and good indicator, but NOT necessary representative of the type of subject matter, wording, and logic of the real MCAT . (I used KAP, PR, and EK to prepare for the 2003 MCAT and scored 12's on practice tests and an 11 on the real thing). I think that the only negative thing about the EK is that after 20 or so passages, you can pretty much guess the correct answer b/c:

(1) the subject matter is very similar and repetitive (esp. the criminal justice stuff). This can be a +and- thing. You become very accustomed to the writing style and logic of the EK author. This is probably the most dangerous thing about EK verbal. On the real MCAT, every passage will read as if it was written by a different person. This naturally entails diff. points of view, logic, etc..

(2) the logic and wording of the correct answer on EK becomes repetitive (the correct answers on the 03 MCAT is very long and wordy and EACH answer "feels" very def. from one another.)

(3) the answers are just too simple and short and can be easily verified by understanding the gist of the passage. In my opinion, the 03MCAT required the reader to use his/her logic to decipher and crack the meaning of the entire passage more so than merely getting the gist of the passage (as taught by EK, KAP, and PR).

Honestly, improving on the MCAT verbal is very much like doing sit-ups to lose fat on one's mid-section?

Just my .02

I think EK101 helped me a ton: The first year I took the MCAT I just did Kaplan stuff and got a 6 on the verbal of the real thing. The second year I took it I worked with the EK workbook..was making 10s on the practice sections and got a 10 on the real thing.