Emory vs UF vs Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadStork

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
UF

Pros
-Cost: CoA is significantly cheaper 50K
-Great Fit, all current students seem very welcoming and easy to get along with.
-Very good match list, but perhaps the weakest of the three. Interested in a competitive specialty.
- Administration seems very supportive and mentorship seems strong.
- Very good research
- Scores 250+ avg for step 2

Cons
- Gainesville; a fun place but not as desirable as Atlanta or DC.
- Rank (however it is continuing to improve)
- 2 Year Pre Clinical

Georgetown

Pros
-
DC; most desirable place to live of the three locations. Amazing opportunities associated with being in DC.
- Able to do research a the NIH
- Strong Name; Matches above their weight.

Cons
- Cost: 100,000 COA
- Rank? (lower according to US News, but high PD rank (more important))
- 200+ students, the other two are closer to 140 and I prefer a smaller school

Emory

Pros
- Prestige: top 20 school (or so)
- Research: Amazing faculty mentors with dedicated 6 months for research. + CDC
- Atlanta, a great southern city, (not as desirable as DC)
- Clinical rotation; the other two hospital systems are very good but Grady is special. Will see a lot of Zebras here.
-Faculty was very welcoming and seem to be very receptive.

Cons
-
CoA is 85K. Is the prestige difference of UF vs Emory worth 140K?
- Not DC.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like Emory is your favorite. Highest prestige of the 3, amazing hospital, amazing research and faculty, AND you'll be living in Atlanta which is a really cool city (much better than Gainesville). Since you're planning on doing something competitive the 140k can be paid off much easier than if you were going Peds, etc. It's 4 years of your life so you want to be at a school and in a city that makes you happy. But thats just what I would do in your position. I could also see a case for UF since its the cheapest option and still a very respectable school. But I think Georgetown should definitely be out as it is lowest ranked of the 3 + most expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
It seems like based on your pros and cons that Emory > Georgetown > UF to you since Emory and Georgetown have stronger research as well as better match lists and locations, and Emory has a higher rank. I would not worry as much about the extra 140k if that’s all that is holding you back from Emory because I think the opportunities (research, faculty, hospitals) at the school are much better than UF (although UF is still a very good school!!!); it seems like you won’t enjoy living in Gainesville (definitely has a small college town feel and not as much going on as Atlanta and DC unless you drive 2 hrs north to Jacksonville or south to Tampa/Orlando); and like the user above said, if you are interested in a relatively competitive specialty, 140k can easily be repaid. I’ve also heard that based on STEP 1 going pass fail, people have said 1.5 year preclinicals are more favorable and research and rank will be weighted more,but I’m not sure how true all this is.

Reactions: 1 user
There is no chance I would pay $140k for a 36 to a 22 prestige difference haha. UF will have plenty of research opportunities.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for your input! What I am mostly trying to gauge is how significant the prestige difference is among them, especially w/r/t matching, clinical rotations, and research/mentorship. Secondary to that, I have location preferences, but I am not sure how much $$$ these should be worth.