Endocrinology vs Rheumatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigman18

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I’m nearing the end of my PGY 1 year in IM and I’ve decided that I’d like to pursue a lifestyle specialty. So far I’ve narrowed it to Endocrine vs Rheum. Based on my research, both fields are comparable in terms of lifestyle and pay, I was wondering if any attendings or fellows in either field could shed some light on the day to day of each specialty. Im mostly wondering about how much disease variety you’ll see in field if I’m planning on going the PP/employed route instead of academics. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I’m nearing the end of my PGY 1 year in IM and I’ve decided that I’d like to pursue a lifestyle specialty. So far I’ve narrowed it to Endocrine vs Rheum. Based on my research, both fields are comparable in terms of lifestyle and pay, I was wondering if any attendings or fellows in either field could shed some light on the day to day of each specialty. Im mostly wondering about how much disease variety you’ll see in field if I’m planning on going the PP/employed route instead of academics. Thanks!
Have you done a rotation in both? Which did you like better? Both have similar profiles , though I think rheum on average makes a little more than endocrine...but not enough if you dont love the subject.

Have you done a rotation in both? Which did you like better? Both have similar profiles , though I think rheum on average makes a little more than endocrine...but not enough if you dont love the subject.
I was supposed to do rotations in both this month but it’s all been cancelled because of COVID and I won’t have an ambulatory month for almost a year. I’ve worked a little bit in rheum clinic which i enjoyed (most of the patients had lupus) but it was in an academic setting and I’m worried the patient population will be different from PP life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also curious on this. Is there anyone else out there who was between these two? How did you decide and are you happy with your choice? Thanks for any words of wisdom

Very different fields intellectually. Only things similar are the hours.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree, very different fields. Though I can see that they appeal to similar people.

I felt like the biggest difference is that Endo seemed more numbers-driven, whereas Rheum is based on a lot more subjective stuff. More "art of medicine" vibes and more focus on symptoms than numbers which was much more appealing to me. But otherwise a lot of similarity between the lifestyles.

You should talk to your PD and see if they can make any arrangements to squeeze in an elective or two for you. I think most PDs want to help residents figure out their career paths and a request like this would be very normal and reasonable. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Very different fields intellectually. Only things similar are the hours.

I apologize for the random message....long-time lurker on these forums. Any chance of being able to PM you some rheumatology related questions?