Engineering Student’s CDAT Breakdown (24 AA, 26 TS, 24 PAT) / Study Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyespy93

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I spent a lot of time reading breakdowns and study advice on SDN before my DAT, so I hope I can help some future students with my own. Since most pre-dental students are from a science background, I’m hoping I can add some input from an Engineering side.

DAT Breakdown:
AA 24
TS 26
PAT 24
RC 21
BIO 27
GC 25

Educational Background:
I’m in my 5th year of Biomedical Engineering. I’ve taken the bare minimum science courses to apply for many dental schools (2 courses of Biology, 2 courses of General Chemistry, 2 courses of Organic Chemistry, and 2 courses of Biochemistry), most of which were taken before I started engineering. Due to my background, I felt quite weak in sciences (especially biology) but quite strong in perception before starting my DAT studying.

Resources:
· Kaplan Blue Book (2016 version) [$80]
· Cliff’s AP Biology (3rd edition) [Free]
· DAT Destroyer (2016 version) [$150]
· Crack DAT PAT Software (Ace Ed) [$150]
· Crack DAT READING Software (Royal Flush Ed) [$100]
· DAT Bootcamp [$140 (Sale)]

Total: $620

Study Schedule:
I started studying by trying to follow the “Sample DAT study schedule” by dentalWorks, but that quickly derailed for me. I was taking two classes this fall, while studying for the DAT so I had to adjust the schedule to fit. Instead of setting day-by-day schedules, I made deadline dates where I set certain study goals. For this breakdown, I’ll be referring to deadline dates with respect to testing date. I studied for approximately 11 weeks.

Goal #1: KBB and Cliff Review
Allotted Time: 4 weeks
Deadline Date: 7 weeks before DAT

Reviewing material was a two-part process: reading and notes. Firstly, I would do a “1st Read” day where I would read one chapter from Cliff’s and one or two chapters from KBB Biology and KBB General Chemistry. Secondly, I would do a “2nd Read/Notes” day where I would reread a chapter slowly, and take notes as I went along. I would also complete the chapter review question after taking notes to solidify my studies. Since note taking takes a lot longer than reading, one “1st Read” day was usually followed by two to three “2nd Read/Notes” days. It’s alright to combine a 1st Read and a 2nd Read/notes in the same day (e.g. 2nd Read/notes of KBB Chapter 6 and 1st read of KBB Chapter 7); however, I strongly recommend that you do not combine two reads and notes for the same chapter. I typed my notes in point-form and put a heading for each chapter which allowed for quick referencing during later studies.

Goal #2: DAT Destroyer 1st Time
Allotted Time: 2 weeks
Deadline: 5 Weeks before DAT

The 2016 DAT Destroyer (DD) has 592 Biology problems and 357 General Chemistry problems. By doing 50 Biology problems and 33 GC problems per day, it takes 12 days to complete DAT Destroyer with 2 extra days. When doing DD questions, I recommend that you fully read the solutions for each question, even if you got it correct. DD questions were harder than the real DAT but fully understanding each solution helped solidify my knowledge. I kept a list of areas where I had difficulty and topics that I needed to memorize (e.g. Human Hormones).
I wrote my answers into an Excel spread sheet, which allowed me to keep track of which questions I got wrong. Also, I indirectly made an answer key which I used later.

Goal #3: Memorization Sheets and Review (Break)
Deadline: 3 Weeks before DAT

I went back to Cliff’s, KBB, and my notes to study the areas I had difficulty in. I also made a set of “Memorization Sheets” which had all the material that I thought needed memorization.
I had midterms during this time so my DAT studying took a back seat for a bit. If you’re pressed for time, this section can be compressed to a few days. I do recommend that you take at least 3 or 4 days to review and study before starting DAT Destroyer again.

Goal #4: DAT Destroyer 2nd Time
Deadline: 1 week before DAT

Same schedule as the first time. I felt quite confident in GC so I only read the solutions of questions I got wrong but still read every Biology solution. I used the same Excel spread sheet as before, and set the previous answers to white font. This allowed me to quickly check answers and identify questions I got wrong twice.
About halfway through DAT Destroyer, I started alternating doing practice PAT and RC tests from CRACK DAT and DAT Bootcamp. Before then, I had completed three PAT tests and no RC tests.

Goal #5: Practice Tests
Allotted Time: 1 week
Deadline: Test Day

The Canadian DAT has very few practice tests available. Canadian students will have to “Build-your-own” DAT if they want to practice pacing. For me, I used DAT Bootcamp’s subject tests as practice. I would complete Biology and GC tests back-to-back to simulate the CDAT natural science section, followed by a PAT test and a RC test. I tried to emulate the true test setting as much as possible by only taking 10-15min breaks between tests. Also, I tried to complete the RC test in 50min instead of 60min since that’s how long is given on the CDAT. It’s a challenge but definitely helped me pace for the real thing.

Work Log:
Being the nerdy engineer I am, I kept a work log throughout my studies. Here is a breakdown of how much time each section took:
Hours.JPG

General Advice:
  • Be confident in what you know and identify what you don’t know. When doing review sessions, I would try to look over as many topics as I could. After I made my “Memorization Sheets”, I was able to focus my review on the topics which were giving me difficulty.
  • You don’t need to be studying 100% of your free time. Make sure to leave time to do stuff you enjoy. A break from the material often helps future studying be more effective.
  • Short frequent study sessions are better than a single, long one. In a similar note, repeated exposure to material is better. For this reason, I often completed Practice Tests and DD problems and then reviewed to solutions during another study session.
  • The hardest part is starting to study. It seems like such a daunting task at first, but it’s not as bad once you get into the studying rhythm.
  • It is possible to do well, even with a relatively weak scientific background. Adjust your studying to fit your background.
  • Make a plan and try to stick to it; but it’s not the end of the world if you stray off by a bit. Make sure to leave leeway in your schedule for unexpected events.

Good luck to everyone taking the DAT in the future! Feel free to message me if you have any questions and I’ll be happy to answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Awesome scores. I am so happy for you. Thank you for this helpful breakdown. You should be very proud of yourself, you did amazing even though you are studying a very hard engineering field. It's very helpful. Wow you guys don't have OC or QR. Nice :)

Awesome scores. I am so happy for you. Thank you for this helpful breakdown. You should be very proud of yourself, you did amazing even though you are studying a very hard engineering field. It's very helpful. Wow you guys don't have OC or QR. Nice :)

Thank you very much! Yeah Canada doesn't have OC or QR but there is a soap carving section that's optional. A lot of schools don't look at soap carving anymore so only about 1/3 of the students did it this Nov.

Thank you very much! Yeah Canada doesn't have OC or QR but there is a soap carving section that's optional. A lot of schools don't look at soap carving anymore so only about 1/3 of the students did it this Nov.
soap carving seems like a cool thing until they decide our future upon how well we do it :D
But what was your strategy for RC, I would be happy if hit a 20, I am a bit a slow reader. Did you read questions first or did you start with the passage.

Members don't see this ad :)
soap carving seems like a cool thing until they decide our future upon how well we do it :D
But what was your strategy for RC, I would be happy if hit a 20, I am a bit a slow reader. Did you read questions first or did you start with the passage.

Oh I feel your pain with RC. I'm also a pretty slow reader but found that I was able to remember where certain information was located in the passage. Starting about 3 weeks before the test date, I did a practice RC every second day. This increased my RC reading speed quite a bit. I learned how to read for RC rather than read for studying or enjoyment. During the first few tests (~6 or 7), I used the "passage map" technique recommended by KBB. Before each test, I would make a number list from 1 to 15 to indicate paragraphs. Then, after I read each paragraph, I would write one or two words to help me remember what the paragraph was about (e.g. "arguments against", "Fossil Evidence", "Antibodies", etc). The idea was that if I got stuck on a question, I could easily locate where it was found in the passage by referring to my "map". Although, the map was useful for some questions, I found that I wasted a lot of time thinking of short summaries of each paragraph. This was especially problematic once I learned that the CDAT is only 50min for RC (learned this from my practice test in the cda manual).

The strategy I used was to read the passage fully, focusing on overall concepts rather than specific details, while making a "mental map" of the passage. After every paragraph, I would make a mental note about the general idea of the paragraph but wouldn't write it down. Also, anytime there were very specific details (e.g. list of symptoms associated with a disease), I would scan over them very quickly and just make a mental note WHERE the list was and not what was on the list. Even though I didn't use the map strategy in the end, I was good to do a few initial tests using it. It taught me how to read for RC, which is for overall ideas and not details.

I was surprised how easily it was for me to remember the physical location information was on the page once I stop focusing on making a physical map. Even on the real DAT, I remember thinking something like"Oh I've seen 'polymerase chain reaction' the left side of the page". Keep in mind that this is the strategy I found useful but may not be the best for you. There are people who recommend the "search and destroy" method or a hybrid version, but these methods just weren't for me. In the end, I did around 13 or 14 RC tests, and only found the strategy that worked for me for the last 5 or so. Also, I didn't do any practice reading from any journals but focused primarily on tests. Sorry for rambling on but I hope this helps you with your studies. I'm happy to answer any more questions you have (I'm on Christmas break now!)