PhD/PsyD EPPP- sitting during internship/before degree conferred

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntrnshpReady

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I apologize in advance if this has been posted elsewhere. I am currently on internship and looking to take the EPPP during the internship year. Are you aware of any states that allow you to apply for the licensure process and be eligible to sit for the EPPP during internship aka before you have your PhD/PsyD?

Particularly interested if anyone has done it! Any help would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Someone from my internship cohort was able to do this by applying in Alabama.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have known folk to apply to masters levels licensures that require the EPPP. North Carolina had/has one that requires the EPPP. There were a few other states as well but I don't recall them.
Great point, I'd completely forgotten about that option! Texas and Kansas allow taking it at the master's level. Of the two, I'd recommend Kansas. Texas has pretty steep application fees.

eremitestar mentioned Alabama above.

I'm currently on internship in Alabama. Two interns from the year prior obtained clinical appointments at our internship program immediately after internship. They either took the EPPP towards the end of internship, or immediately following, because within a month or two of completing internship they were seeing patients independently.

My friend did this on internship-- I'm fairly certain she went through Kansas.

I'm pretty sure Pennsylvania allows this. I remember it being discussed when I was still in school a few years back (in PA).

Not sure if they still allow it, but I took the EPPP predoctorally through Georgia. But that was in ancient times. :)

I have completed internship and have my PhD. so I can't speak directly to that part of the question, but I had been looking for states that will allow me to sit for the EPPP prior to doing a postdoc and I found very few who would. Kansas would permit one to sit for the EPPP prior to completing postdoc hours (although they may still have required completion of a PhD/PsyD program, internship, etc.). They did however require that a postdoc already be "arranged" and the supervisor of said postdoc needs to complete paperwork about the postdoc experience and what it will entail.

As I recall, Alabama also did not require postdoc hours (but also may require PhD/PsyD and/or internship) but they require a jurisprudence exam for licensure that must be taken in-person in Montgomery.