Eras 2008!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ideas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For this years applicants, have you already submitted your apps?

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my app on September 9th. Now wondering if I should have waited a bit longer to get more input on my personal statement. But from what I have read on here, not sure if it makes a huge difference (as long as you don't sound like an arrogant fool on the thing). But I have already heard back from one of the prelim medicine programs. Now I don't know exactly how to handle this since I likely will not get rad onc interviews for quite a while. Maybe I should have waited a bit to apply to prelim programs?

I just applied last night. I think the prelim programs are aware of the situation of students applying to advanced programs. Seems like you are good, congrats on finishing your app!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I submitted my application on September 3rd. I haven't applied to any prelim/TY positions yet though.

I submitted mine on the first and I would say a good half the programs haven't downloaded anything yet, including most of the higher-tier programs. I think it would be wiser to wait one extra day if you still have things to polish up.

So for the programs that screen off of step 1 scores, do they screen before the download your app or is it once they download them? Just curious how that works. Lol, it was nice to see that folks were at least downloading my app, sigh.

Submitted Sept 6th. Let the game begin.
Of course still waiting for 2 LORs to be submitted.

let me just say that while rad onc programs/interviews are of utmost importance, your prelim/transitional programs are also quite important. "nice" ty programs if thats what ur looking for are just as competitive so dont delay too long. i know friends who have matched well in their advanced programs but ended up having to scramble to some rather unfortunate prelim surgery programs. dont let this be u and it could happen.

good luck with apps!!

yes, there are programs that do screen step 1 scores although most programs do not outright state it on their website. last i remembered rush had a 220 maybe 230 cutoff u can check their website. either way, i would apply anyways.

I think Rush might have 225 cutoff. Let the anxiety of applications begin :rolleyes:

You all say October is when we should start hearing from programs right? Sigh. I know folks already getting peds and IM interviews.

How many programs did you all apply too? I applied to all of them except 6 or so. But I'm not as strong as most, so I felt I needed to apply wide to increase my chances. It's okay though, its only money:p

How many programs did you all apply too? I applied to all of them except 6 or so. But I'm not as strong as most, so I felt I needed to apply wide to increase my chances. It's okay though, its only money:p

Good decision. Appying to radonc is NOT the time to save money! You can always cancel interviews (yeah right) if they are rolling in at a faster rate than you can handle. But you can't go back and apply to programs once you realize that you've under-applied. No matter how strong an applicant is, in today's competetive application cycle, I would apply everywhere and suck up the $1500. I knew of a couple of applicants last year that cancelled interviews..but they were the exception. Anyway, it would just supremely suck to be in a position in March of looking back and thinking "what if..?" You want to do EVERYTHING you can to optimize your chances of matching. Good luck!

I got my first interview invitation in mid-November. They kept coming in through December for a total of 16 (not counting a couple last-minute openings that I got in January) Don't freak out if you haven't gotten any by the end of October. This isn't peds or IM. And I agree wholeheartedly with the technique of applying to as many programs as humanly possible. Just apply wide and interview at as many programs as you can.

I got my first interview invitation in mid-November. They kept coming in through December for a total of 16 (not counting a couple last-minute openings that I got in January) Don't freak out if you haven't gotten any by the end of October. This isn't peds or IM. And I agree wholeheartedly with the technique of applying to as many programs as humanly possible. Just apply wide and interview at as many programs as you can.

I have a question about strategy for you all. I also am applying to OB as well and have reserved only Dec and Jan for interviews. It seems as if I will be hearing from the OB programs soon (only applied to 8 ob programs). I know that I will be lucky to get even 10 rad onc interviews, but I'm wondering if it would be okay for me to schedule my rad onc interviews in Jan and get the TY and OB interviewing out of the way in Dec. Would interviewing in January put me at a disadvantage for rad onc? From Captain's post, it seems as if I'll be okay since invites come Nov-Dec, but I just want to make sure that my plan doesn't have any holes in it.

I have a question about strategy for you all. I also am applying to OB as well and have reserved only Dec and Jan for interviews. It seems as if I will be hearing from the OB programs soon (only applied to 8 ob programs). I know that I will be lucky to get even 10 rad onc interviews, but I'm wondering if it would be okay for me to schedule my rad onc interviews in Jan and get the TY and OB interviewing out of the way in Dec. Would interviewing in January put me at a disadvantage for rad onc? From Captain's post, it seems as if I'll be okay since invites come Nov-Dec, but I just want to make sure that my plan doesn't have any holes in it.

I would recommend against this approach. Remember that many of the smaller rad onc programs only offer 1-3 interview dates. I interviewed at 14 programs...many in the beginning of December offered no January dates. I would try to remain flexible. You will likely have to scatter Rad Onc interviews among the Dec OB dates.

I would recommend against this approach. Remember that many of the smaller rad onc programs only offer 1-3 interview dates. I interviewed at 14 programs...many in the beginning of December offered no January dates. I would try to remain flexible. You will likely have to scatter Rad Onc interviews among the Dec OB dates.

Hmmm, would you recommend then spreading OB in both Dec in Jan? Its just tough bc I'm getting OB interview offers now, but probably won't hear from rad onc til the end of Nov if I'm lucky. . . I guess I can always reschedule my OB interviews.

Hmmm, would you recommend then spreading OB in both Dec in Jan? Its just tough bc I'm getting OB interview offers now, but probably won't hear from rad onc til the end of Nov if I'm lucky. . . I guess I can always reschedule my OB interviews.

Yeah, I definitely agree with CNphair. Most radonc programs will only offer 1-2 interview days, and usually all but one is filled by the time you get the invite anyway. You may end up having to resched the OB interviews, but if you really want RadOnc, that's whatcha gotta do. If this helps at all, I recall the majority of my interviews being on Mondays and Fridays, with an occ Tues and Thurs. Weds was usually a non-interview day, so you may be better off scheduling the OB interviews for Wednesday. GOOD LUCK dude!
-T

Yes, I would plan on having to mix the schedules. Lets be honest...you probably won't need that many OB interviews to match in the field. You will want to take every Rad Onc interview. If necessary, chose your "top" OB programs to interview at and sacrifice the borderline ones. Don't turn down any rad onc interviews.

Yes, I would plan on having to mix the schedules. Lets be honest...you probably won't need that many OB interviews to match in the field. You will want to take every Rad Onc interview. If necessary, chose your "top" OB programs to interview at and sacrifice the borderline ones. Don't turn down any rad onc interviews.

Yeah I only applied to 8 OB programs, so I have some space, but I still have to do transitional interviews too, sigh!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL, but honestly, I doubt I'm going to get a ton of Rad Onc interviews. . . but it only takes one :) so I'm remaining positive :thumbup: