ERAS: So begin the social media name changes.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnePunchBiopsy

Allergies: Clinic
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
All my friends filling out ERAS for residency have started changing their names on Facebook. I have very stringent privacy setting on my profile. Two questions:

1.) Should I change my name?
2.) If I should change my name, what should I change it to? Please keep all responses professional (LOL)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't change it... I never understood why people pretended to not exist on facebook rather than take advantage of the opportunity to curate their online image and make one more positive impression on programs. It's 2016, there's nothing embarrassing or unprofessional about having an online presence. It's almost more of a red flag to be invisible.

If you keep the privacy settings high they won't see anything on your wall, just your smiling profile face and a background pic of you with your family or doing a favorite hobby.

If your facebook is full of political rants or irresponsible/compromising photos... then maybe it's time to finally enter the professional world and clean that stuff up.

Reactions: 19 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I kept my real name and used strict privacy settings this past cycle. But I've always used strict privacy settings; no creepin' allowed.

Keep your name, make sure privacy is tight, let any who looks for you see that you know how to protect information.

Name change w/ improper privacy settings do not prevent a person from creeping: Did you list your school? Are you in a class group? etc... All of these can be an entry point to creeping for someone who is determined.

I changed my Facebook to my first and middle name. I don't post in Facebook and I had strict privacy settings, but I didnt want to be so easy to find, but I also didn't want to be invisible either. Personally, I think being smart about your posts is better, but people are offended by everything these days, so I didn't want take the chance so easily.

I changed my Facebook to my first and middle name. I don't post in Facebook and I had strict privacy settings, but I didnt want to be so easy to find, but I also didn't want to be invisible either. Personally, I think being smart about your posts is better, but people are offended by everything these days, so I didn't want take the chance so easily.

I'm offended that you're offended that other people are so easily offended.

Reactions: 1 users
personally i have an account under my actual name with the highest privacy settings in place, professional head shot profile pic, and a picture with my wife and kids as the cover image. then i have a second account under a totally obscure name used solely for my private matters (talking to friends, getting in arguments with anti-vaxxers, you know, normal stuff).

If your facebook is full of political rants or irresponsible/compromising photos... then maybe it's time to finally enter the professional world and clean that stuff up.
and i do totally agree with Morzh on this. however my concern wasn't so much as what i was saying on my page, it's what my friends say. most of us have that one friend that finds some of the most deplorable memes hilarious and tags people in them. that's what i'm trying to avoid by having the secondary account

Reactions: 2 users
and i do totally agree with Morzh on this. however my concern wasn't so much as what i was saying on my page, it's what my friends say. most of us have that one friend that finds some of the most deplorable memes hilarious and tags people in them. that's what i'm trying to avoid by having the secondary account
You can make your settings such that your friends' tags don't show up on your profile until you approve them.

Reactions: 1 users
You can make your settings such that your friends' tags don't show up on your profile until you approve them.
this is true and i did try that, but it became this tedious process that required too much effort for something as menial as facebook. i prefer my social media time to be as mindless as possible :playful:

this is true and i did try that, but it became this tedious process that required too much effort for something as menial as facebook. i prefer my social media time to be as mindless as possible :playful:
Gotcha. I just never allow the posts to keep my profile clean.

Reactions: 1 user
You all have no idea what people can find out about you from a social media account. Even with the "highest privacy settings," which are laughable - you will only stop your run of the mill social media creepin'.

We were hiring my replacement while I was leaving, and someone older than I was next level creeping to figure out stuff about our candidates. Within seconds, she was able to find all the friends that routinely tagged the candidate-in-question (posts, pictures, what have you), and came up with a gestalt picture of what the candidate was ACTUALLY like. You'd be horrified at how quickly we knew so much about these people, despite their "high privacy settings." Needless to say, we cut people from the race very quickly.

You don't know what you don't know is the lesson here when it comes to social media. Change your account name or temporarily stop your account. It just takes one friend with off-color comments to make a bad impression if someone takes the time to look into social media.

I never post anything that I wouldn't want my mother to see (and they look a lot from my sister's account). Also, I'm not a fan of facades. Not only do I not care if any programs see my Facebook, but I would encourage it. If you are going to work with me for the next few years, I would encourage everyone to know who the real me is.

Reactions: 3 users