This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

free2move

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

Over the past few months, I've made the decision to switch professions from film and TV over to medicine. I want to do a post bacc program with the hopes of getting into medical school after the post bacc. I was going to apply for schools in New York (I'm from CT) such as NYU, Hunter, and Columbia which all have relatively well established programs. Just last week, however, my alma mater, Sacred Heart University, just announced that they are beginning a post bacc certificate program starting next fall. For some background, I graduated with a degree in media studies and a minor in graphic design at a 3.42 GPA. I received a Fulbright last year for work in computer science and have been working in TV since I came back to the US. There is a large chance that the program at my alma mater would be much cheaper than a program like Columbia or NYU. Does it matter where I end up doing my post bacc work? Should I go the cheaper route and do the brand new post bacc program at my alma mater, or the well established, more expensive program at Columbia, NYU, Hunter, etc?

Thanks so much for any insight!

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Go the cheapest route, and the route that gives you the greatest chance of making a 4.0 and raising that 3.42 cGPA. Columbia will not do that. Do a search on here over formal postbac programs if you're set on doing one over a DIY. If you are from CT, apply to UConn's. It's very small, and I'm not sure you have the grades to be accepted, but I'm assuming you're still a resident of CT, and that would be the cheapest option.

free2movie,

If you're a CT resident, you should look at UCONN post-bacc options as well.