This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitecoatwishful

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I need advice on what and how to study for the MCAT. I've been studying via Kaplan since September 2017 and it hasn't been as helpful as I desired. I recently paid for a EK course that begins in February and I want to take the MCAT June 1 or 2. However, in undergrad (graduated in 2015), I never took psychology or sociology but took every other course needed. I'm trying to find out whether EK will be of any benefit to me (because I heard you need a great background in all of the sciences) or if I should go to TBR and postpone applying again until next year because I will need a lot more study time with a full time job. However, I would've been out of school for 4 years by then.

Members don't see this ad.

i took psychology and the only thing I got out of that class was an A lol so basically I had to re-teach it all, which I was able to do. Psych has hundreds and hundreds of terms, so the actual MCAT can make it somewhat unpredictable from what they choose from. Just pace yourself, learn a chapter/set of terms each day, and keep moving forward. Though I may not have a strong opinion b/w those 2 companies, I personally believe any review book + online free resources will suffice. I will say this last MCAT was very heavy reasoning, so I wouldn't stress if you cannot master every single term. Focus on that vocab. good luck on your studies

Khan Academy is always strongly recommended for Psych, EK is great for shorter science review and TPR is more in depth for topics you don't understand as well. EK 101 passages for the sciences are pretty challenging, especially for Chem at least, but very very good for practice. Doing at least 2 TPR CARS passages a day for 2 months got me a 129 in CARS. EK has a great 8 wk self study plan online that you can supplement with other material. I don't value prep classes too much since you still have to study on top of the class and I think it can waste quite a bit of time but if you're not self disciplined enough to self study go for it. Main thing is take the MCAT when you feel the most prepared so you can get your best score the first time around. You don't necessarily need to postpone applying. I would honestly considering maybe working part-time for at least a couple months while you're studying, if you can. If you cant, give yourself maybe 4 months to reach your goal score. Take practice exams frequently from different companies and the official AAMC exams. And do practice passages while you're doing content review! Its super easy to spend all your time reviewing content but its the application of the material that counts the most! I wish you the best!

Look at all of the study plans, from SN2ed's to MCATjelly's to the 526 guy's to Saigon's to Koala's and so and you'll find the same thing.

If you want to do well and are willing to put the work in, then the very best option is:

Sciences: TBR and EK for review. Use EK if you know it well and TBR if you don't. TBR for passages (and AAMC when you're ready)

Pysch/Soc: TPR for review and Khan for questions

CARS: TPR and EK for passages.

Look at the top scores and you'll see hundreds and hundreds of people did this. More so, look at the recent threads where people are whining that they didn't improve and are worried that they only got a 503 (or something like that) on their last AAMC practice FL right before their test date and you'll find that they DIDN'T do the above plan.

Reactions: 2 users