Exercising and Northwestern Pre-med Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

locbeautytee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Running is a way I deal with stress. It helps me deal with life and it just feels so good. Do you think I can continue running as a medical student putting in AT LEAST 35 miles a week. I'm just wondering if studying/school load would allow me to do that as I feel running will definitely help me keep my studies in line. I forsee I would have to complete it first thing in the morning. Running for me is a necessity. Also, anyone have experience with Northwestern post-bac pre-med program (IL)? As I'm researching a good program to attend, I find more attracted to this school. Good city, serious program, good stats on successful candidates accepting to med school and passing the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Chicago and Evanston have some beautiful running trails along the lake! If you're a full-time student (3 classes + labs) at NU, yes you will be able to run but it will require excellent time management. If you're a part time student (2 classes + labs) and working full-time, I doubt you would have time to run without sacrificing on sleep.

It is a very rigorous program that produces high scores on the MCAT and gets people into medical/PA/Vet school (if they don't drop out first).

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend another program. I did the NU program and in hindsight I would have chosen another program.

We had about a 70% attrition rate in our class, and even then, only ~60% of our cohort got into any kind of medical school. There's also no committee letter, which SHOULD BE a benefit of doing a formal program like this. I kind of wish I just did my classes at Truman and saved the $$. PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks a bunch.

Do you think I can continue running as a medical student putting in AT LEAST 35 miles a week.

5 miles/day so <hr work out time commitment. I don't see how that's not manageable--once you figure out a daily routine it will be cake to get your run in. It will be even easier if you have easy access to a treadmill (way better workout than running outside IMO).

Reactions: 1 user