Quantcast

Exercising and Northwestern Pre-med Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

locbeautytee

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Running is a way I deal with stress. It helps me deal with life and it just feels so good. Do you think I can continue running as a medical student putting in AT LEAST 35 miles a week. I'm just wondering if studying/school load would allow me to do that as I feel running will definitely help me keep my studies in line. I forsee I would have to complete it first thing in the morning. Running for me is a necessity. Also, anyone have experience with Northwestern post-bac pre-med program (IL)? As I'm researching a good program to attend, I find more attracted to this school. Good city, serious program, good stats on successful candidates accepting to med school and passing the MCAT.

SailorHg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Chicago and Evanston have some beautiful running trails along the lake! If you're a full-time student (3 classes + labs) at NU, yes you will be able to run but it will require excellent time management. If you're a part time student (2 classes + labs) and working full-time, I doubt you would have time to run without sacrificing on sleep.

It is a very rigorous program that produces high scores on the MCAT and gets people into medical/PA/Vet school (if they don't drop out first).

locbeautytee

Reaction score
I would recommend another program. I did the NU program and in hindsight I would have chosen another program.

We had about a 70% attrition rate in our class, and even then, only ~60% of our cohort got into any kind of medical school. There's also no committee letter, which SHOULD BE a benefit of doing a formal program like this. I kind of wish I just did my classes at Truman and saved the $$. PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks a bunch.

Firegrove

almost salty
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think I can continue running as a medical student putting in AT LEAST 35 miles a week.

5 miles/day so <hr work out time commitment. I don't see how that's not manageable--once you figure out a daily routine it will be cake to get your run in. It will be even easier if you have easy access to a treadmill (way better workout than running outside IMO).

Reactions: 1 user