Extracurricular during the summer of application cycle - ADEA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

distressstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I do extracurricular activities during the summer, will dental adcom see it and take it into consideration when they evaluating my application? From what I read on the ADEA website, it seems like I cannot edit any of the information once I submit my application except for academic coursework. Is it wise to hold off on submitting the application so I can include my E.C activities while I wait for my spring transcripts to get processed at my school (My school ends their spring quarter late)?

Also another question. The E.C activity I will be doing will be volunteering as a dental assistant at a community clinic. However, it is not really a committed position; I will be volunteering if I can get the hours. When considering that I will be turning in the application before my activities end, would it look better to get a more secured position? For example, if I were to secure a summer internship as a lab intern, dental adcom would be more inclined to give me the benefit of the doubt; whereas volunteering means I actually no have obligations to anyone to actually earn hours, as an intern I will be expected to put in a minimum # of hours per week. It is going to be "I promise that I will continue to volunteer as a dental assistant during the summer" vs " I will spend my summer as an lab intern".

note: I have been a lab intern in the past already. But I have yet to have done any dental assisting. I can see myself enjoying either position so it is not a question about following my passion.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So, tell me about your GPA and DAT scores.

You can always send updates to schools personally about your activities. I know Case Western high encourages follow ups from their students and will add any additional informational to your file as the application process progresses. I am sure other schools will not mind this - you just have to ask them.

I don't think having a secure position vs a voluntary position matters, just the experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
@jeffity: lol I can't tell if you are telling me to focus more on GPA/DAT or if you are actually asking. My GPA is about national average and I don't have a DAT score yet. It certainly feels like I am rushing things. Just a bit.

@y3nd0. Thanks, I did not know that. I will actually be meeting someone from Case Western on Thursday; I should probably ask him about it.

@jeffity: lol I can't tell if you are telling me to focus more on GPA/DAT or if you are actually asking. My GPA is about national average and I don't have a DAT score yet. It certainly feels like I am rushing things. Just a bit.

@y3nd0. Thanks, I did not know that. I will actually be meeting someone from Case Western on Thursday; I should probably ask him about it.
Just out of curiosity,do you by any chance know what the national average for gpa and dat scores are?

I was kidding about my GPA being the national average; but my GPA is roughly around there and I am still taking classes for another year.
I read here and there that you should expect the average gpa to be 3.5 and DAT score is about 18. You should take a look at the ADEA handbook to get a more accurate figure for each school.

IMO, adding EC's or "number of hours" that you plan on doing AFTER you submit your application looks absolutely awful.

If I do extracurricular activities during the summer, will dental adcom see it and take it into consideration when they evaluating my application? From what I read on the ADEA website, it seems like I cannot edit any of the information once I submit my application except for academic coursework. Is it wise to hold off on submitting the application so I can include my E.C activities while I wait for my spring transcripts to get processed at my school (My school ends their spring quarter late)?

Also another question. The E.C activity I will be doing will be volunteering as a dental assistant at a community clinic. However, it is not really a committed position; I will be volunteering if I can get the hours. When considering that I will be turning in the application before my activities end, would it look better to get a more secured position? For example, if I were to secure a summer internship as a lab intern, dental adcom would be more inclined to give me the benefit of the doubt; whereas volunteering means I actually no have obligations to anyone to actually earn hours, as an intern I will be expected to put in a minimum # of hours per week. It is going to be "I promise that I will continue to volunteer as a dental assistant during the summer" vs " I will spend my summer as an lab intern".

note: I have been a lab intern in the past already. But I have yet to have done any dental assisting. I can see myself enjoying either position so it is not a question about following my passion.

Thanks!
The school I applied to specifically mentioned that you could send them any ec hours or experience completed after the aadsas application was completed. Any volunteer experience no matter how small can only help. Let the school know directly but I would only update them once, rather than sending an email after each activity. On the other hand I not sure how important it is to submit your application as early as possible just so long as its not last minute. But each school may differ.

@MedDevil: yup. That is definitely a concern.

@awk: thanks. When did you send the schools an update? Before they start reviewing the applications? And that would be around... late july?

Awkward moment when I found myself asking the same question again and found my own thread 9 months later.
Bump for visibility for anyone who might be wondering the same thing about their summer EC

Wait. I put on my AADSAS application that I would be doing a teaching position in the fall semester even though I haven't done it yet. BUT I AM going to do it. It's paid as well.