ADEA 2023-2024 Application Questions thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my experiences include 65 hours of shadowing at one dental center, but these hours were distributed among 3 different dentists (i.e., 25 hours with doctor A, 25 hours with doctor B, then 15 hours with doctor C). In AADSAS, do I add all of these hours as just 1 experience as it's technically the same organization but just make sure to include it in the description (in this case, who would the "supervisor" be?)? Or do I make 3 separate experience entries with the "supervisor" being the dentist's name?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just add it as one and you can list the doctors names in the description. That’s what I did. Do the most hours as the supervisor dentist and include the other 2 in description I think would be just fine

Reactions: 1 user
How do schools view missing prereqs if you indicate that you will take them in the coming year prior to matriculation? Does it hurt your chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do schools view missing prereqs if you indicate that you will take them in the coming year prior to matriculation? Does it hurt your chances?
No, it shouldn't hurt your chances so long as you aren't missing a ton of the prereqs. For me, I had all but 1 finished, which was Physics 2+lab. I didn't end up doing as well as I wanted to in the class but still got a grade ( > C ) and had no problems with being accepted to multiple schools. Just make sure you finish the prereq courses by end of the spring semester of the year you plan to matriculate.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone, as I am going through my application I have a few questions..

1) For shadowing , would It be considered (Full time, part time, or per diem?)
2) For volunteering would It be considered (Full time, part time, or per diem?)

Hello everyone, as I am going through my application I have a few questions..

1) For shadowing , would It be considered (Full time, part time, or per diem?)
2) For volunteering would It be considered (Full time, part time, or per diem?)

I think shadowing and volunteering you could say it’s part time or temporary. Since I don’t think you’re spending all your time doing those things. Regardless if you chose per diem or part time it should be okay. As long as the hours and weeks line up you should be okay

Hi Guys! I just submitted my app ( a couple of mins ago) and I am FREAKING out!! I just realized that under the " Colleges and Universities attended" section, beside the "semester system" I accidentally put the year August 2017-May 2020 instead of May 2021 when I completed my degree for one of the colleges. But, I also put that I earned my degree in 2021... However, under the "transcript entry" I put the correct dates and also when I ordered my transcript they clearly show that I am in college still in 2021 and I finished my classes/graduated in 2021. What should I do??? Will colleges reject me because of this mistake? please help!

Update : Just called AADSAS and they fixed the dates! Thank you for your help! :)

Last edited:
Hi Guys! I just submitted my app ( a couple of mins ago) and I am FREAKING out!! I just realized that under the " Colleges and Universities attended" section, beside the "semester system" I accidentally put the year August 2017-May 2020 instead of May 2021 when I completed my degree for one of the colleges. But, I also put that I earned my degree in 2021... However, under the "transcript entry" I put the correct dates and also when I ordered my transcript they clearly show that I am in college still in 2021 and I finished my classes/graduated in 2021. What should I do??? Will colleges reject me because of this mistake? please help!
You should be able to update the transcript after submitting during academic update periods. otherwise I’d see if you email either AADSAS or let schools know

I’m unsure if they’d let you update your entire transcript. You’d have to contact AADSAS and ask but since you submitted already I’m not totally sure

i think i messed up

Dental schools all require different types of letters can you choose which ones get sent to specific schools?
like most schools need 2 professors
but some need 3 professors
or some need a spiritual leader or employer

also i ****ed up and one of my science professor lors is from my advisor who did not teach me directly

i think i messed up

Dental schools all require different types of letters can you choose which ones get sent to specific schools?
like most schools need 2 professors
but some need 3 professors
or some need a spiritual leader or employer

also i ****ed up and one of my science professor lors is from my advisor who did not teach me directly
I answered this question pretty Thoroughly in my main post above.

Short answer, no you can’t pick and choose. And yes I recommended having 4 letters. Not just the minimum bc that doesn’t get you very far.

As for the advisor, that will depend on what they wrote, it might still be okay.

I answered this question pretty Thoroughly in my main post above.

Short answer, no you can’t pick and choose. And yes I recommended having 4 letters. Not just the minimum bc that doesn’t get you very far.

As for the advisor, that will depend on what they wrote, it might still be okay.
who should the four letters be from? i thought dental schools didn’t like when you maxed out lors

who should the four letters be from? i thought dental schools didn’t like when you maxed out lors
I usually recommend - 2 sci profs (with one within your major), 1 non sci (non sci prof, dentist, etc), and then a supervisor (work, spiritual advisor, research PI).

I'm not sure where you heard about dental schools not wanting "maxed-out" LORs. You can only apply to a handful with only 2-3. If you are applying broadly you need 4-5. Most schools recognize this and tell you they'll accept a 5th letter by having your LOR email them directly as AADSAS only allows 4.

I know there is a benefit to applying early to schools. Is there any benefit to interviewing early - is there a difference between taking a first available slot in September versus a later slot in October?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know there is a benefit to applying early to schools. Is there any benefit to interviewing early - is there a difference between taking a first available slot in September versus a later slot in October?
in theory, no. But interviewing early might just be nice to get everything out of the way. The way I see it, with dental schools having rolling admissions, everything could be looked at like that. So the sooner you apply, sooner you interview, the better your chances are. If you can afford to interview early I would take it. But the difference between interviewing in September vs. October I could imagine is very minuscule. Schools will tell you that anyone who interviews Pre-december is eligible for admission on the admission day. So do what is easiest for you on your wallet and your mental health.

I made a silly mistake. I submitted my app exactly a month ago and just realized I put in the wrong city of birth. I quickly updated it today and the two cities are 10-15 min away from each other. Will dental schools look at this negatively especially since my app is under review at most schools I have already applied to?

I made a silly mistake. I submitted my app exactly a month ago and just realized I put in the wrong city of birth. I quickly updated it today and the two cities are 10-15 min away from each other. Will dental schools look at this negatively especially since my app is under review at most schools I have already applied to?
You will be okay, don’t stress too much about this. If they ask you in an interview for some odd reason just be honest about the mistake

Don't worry about it. You corrected it.

Hi, I have two of my science professors (chemistry and orgo chem professor, physics professor) write me my letters because they both knew me best and I was at the top of the class for both but now Western is saying they can't accept my chemistry/orgochem letter because it's not on their list of accepted science subjects. What should I do?
I don't have a biology professor whom I feel strong connection to ask for another letter and I feel like they don't know me well enough to write a good one. I would appreciate your suggestions.

If I start a job soon, how do I plug that into the application? More specifically, what do I put down for the number of weeks?

Hi, I have two of my science professors (chemistry and orgo chem professor, physics professor) write me my letters because they both knew me best and I was at the top of the class for both but now Western is saying they can't accept my chemistry/orgochem letter because it's not on their list of accepted science subjects. What should I do?
I don't have a biology professor whom I feel strong connection to ask for another letter and I feel like they don't know me well enough to write a good one. I would appreciate your suggestions.
There are a couple of ways I answer these questions:
1) Did you network with the admissions team to discuss what they want from LOR's before you applied? It would have saved you a lot of this trouble.
2) Where is this list of accepted science subjects? Why is chemistry or organic chemistry not included? There's something missing here since BCP GPA includes both.
3) I don't know a thing about your application why you have no biology professor who you don't feel confident about writing you a strong letter of recommendation. What was your BCP GPA?

If I start a job soon, how do I plug that into the application? More specifically, what do I put down for the number of weeks?
Don't think about it until you've been in the job at least 100 hours and have gone past your probationary hiring period.

There are a couple of ways I answer these questions:
1) Did you network with the admissions team to discuss what they want from LOR's before you applied? It would have saved you a lot of this trouble.
2) Where is this list of accepted science subjects? Why is chemistry or organic chemistry not included? There's something missing here since BCP GPA includes both.
3) I don't know a thing about your application why you have no biology professor who you don't feel confident about writing you a strong letter of recommendation. What was your BCP GPA?
Hi,
I actually figured out that they didn't accept it because my faculty forgot to put his contact information. That was just the automated system sending out the email which caused confusion. I asked my recommender to resend it and I also asked one of my bio professors and he said he would write it for me in case they don't accept the other letter.

1) I just checked the list of acceptable sciences. Did not think each university would have different sets of subjects accepted tbh.
2) Here is the list for WESTERNU
not sure about how they decide on that.
3) To answer your question, I go to UCLA so classes are well over 100 people so when I asked a few of my bio professors back when I was gearing up for my application they said they already reached their capacity to write a letter this cycle so I asked my chem and physics who knew me very well and I knew they would write a better letter instead. It is very difficult to stand out when many students are already excellent at UCLA. I had to pick and choose to be able to build good relationships and be exceptional in a few of my science courses in a pool of great and smart students to even get a letter especially due to the loads of studying at the time.
BCP GPA: 3.76

Thank you so much for helping:)

Hi,
I actually figured out that they didn't accept it because my faculty forgot to put his contact information. That was just the automated system sending out the email which caused confusion. I asked my recommender to resend it and I also asked one of my bio professors and he said he would write it for me in case they don't accept the other letter.

1) I just checked the list of acceptable sciences. Did not think each university would have different sets of subjects accepted tbh.
2) Here is the list for WESTERNU
not sure about how they decide on that.
3) To answer your question, I go to UCLA so classes are well over 100 people so when I asked a few of my bio professors back when I was gearing up for my application they said they already reached their capacity to write a letter this cycle so I asked my chem and physics who knew me very well and I knew they would write a better letter instead. It is very difficult to stand out when many students are already excellent at UCLA. I had to pick and choose to be able to build good relationships and be exceptional in a few of my science courses in a pool of great and smart students to even get a letter especially due to the loads of studying at the time.
BCP GPA: 3.76

Thank you so much for helping:)
Thanks for clarifying, especially when it comes to getting LOR's from biology professors (volume issue).

Western's list makes sense, considering that the AADSAS course classification lists more "science" headers: ADEA AADSAS Course Subjects . At least the shorter list is helpful to some degree.

I received an email from Penn that my dentist’s letter of recommendation is missing his signature and letterhead.

I uploaded his letter via AADSAS application portal, and this means that every school that I applied to will have this letter. However, I’m using my pre health committee letter as for the recommendation requirement.

I don’t understand why Penn emailed about it, but would it be a serious problem for other schools? Or would they just let me know as Penn did?

I received an email from Penn that my dentist’s letter of recommendation is missing his signature and letterhead.

I uploaded his letter via AADSAS application portal, and this means that every school that I applied to will have this letter. However, I’m using my pre health committee letter as for the recommendation requirement.

I don’t understand why Penn emailed about it, but would it be a serious problem for other schools? Or would they just let me know as Penn did?
Some schools may require it to be on official letterhead and be signed, so if they have a problem they may email you about it like Penn did

Hello, when listing a second major, should I add a second degree in Degree Info? Or is selecting "Check if you were a double major" sufficient? Degrees are Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science, which I do not see an option to distinguish.

Some schools may require it to be on official letterhead and be signed, so if they have a problem they may email you about it like Penn did
I see.. so I shouldn't worry about it too much if other dental schools don't email me about the recommendation letter.. right?

I see.. so I shouldn't worry about it too much if other dental schools don't email me about the recommendation letter.. right?
If a school emails you an application complete email you should be fine id imagine since that means they went through your submitted documents and verified they meet the requirements to be considered for admission.

Generally speaking though, LORs should be signed and put on official letterhead, but given it’s a dentist and not faculty who maybe isn’t as familiar with that process, they may have said it was okay. Regardless, If you get more emails from schools about it you should try to resend the letter with the right things on it.

How should someone bad at interviews prepare for them? I did a mock interview with my prehealth advisor and it was so bad. I wrote out my response to the questions they were going out and, during the interview I was blanking out what I wanted to say.

How should someone bad at interviews prepare for them? I did a mock interview with my prehealth advisor and it was so bad. I wrote out my response to the questions they were going out and, during the interview I was blanking out what I wanted to say.
Practice will always help, but that doesn't really answer your question. In what ways were your interviews really "bad"?

We have plenty of advice on interviewing among articles and in the forums.

just keep practicing. It will get better over time, don't just stop now bc it will reflect in your real interview. Just be calm and try your best, it's okay to take a second to think about the question. But keep practicing!

Practice will always help, but that doesn't really answer your question. In what ways were your interviews really "bad"?

We have plenty of advice on interviewing among articles and in the forums.
I would blank out and forget to say what I wanted to say in my responses to certain questions. For example, when they asked, "tell me a time you made a mistake," I forgot what example I had prepared to respond with.

I would blank out and forget to say what I wanted to say in my responses to certain questions. For example, when they asked, "tell me a time you made a mistake," I forgot what example I had prepared to respond with.
It sounds like you lack confidence in yourself and your answers. You should know your application and ask the different ways you answered any secondaries. But strengths and weaknesses, tell me about yourself, and why that program are foundational questions you should have down.

I received a duplicate application confirmation email again for a some of the schools I applied to back in June. I should also note since that first June application, I retook my DAT. Is this the reason why I'm not receiving any interviews, does this mean my application wasn't received by them the first time?

I received a duplicate application confirmation email again for a some of the schools I applied to back in June. I should also note since that first June application, I retook my DAT. Is this the reason why I'm not receiving any interviews, does this mean my application wasn't received by them the first time?
What was different between the first confirmation and now? Have your letters been received? It could be the DAT score, but it could be other application materials.

What was different between the first confirmation and now? Have your letters been received? It could be the DAT score, but it could be other application materials.
literally no difference except the dat score which i had notified i was going to retake but that was in early july

Hello, when listing a second major, should I add a second degree in Degree Info? Or is selecting "Check if you were a double major" sufficient? Degrees are Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science, which I do not see an option to distinguish.
i double minored so a different problem, but i did not see anywhere to list it so i did not. your problem is a bit different tho so i would call the help phone number and ask them what to do

Do I send out my ADA scores to each school once I submit my AADSAS app ? Or do they view on my application? Do scores post automatically to my app? I applied to about 24 schools this cycle and don't want to shell out 1000 dollars just to send apps to places that might reject me.

Do I send out my ADA scores to each school once I submit my AADSAS app ? Or do they view on my application? Do scores post automatically to my app? I applied to about 24 schools this cycle and don't want to shell out 1000 dollars just to send apps to places that might reject me.
what are ADA scores?

Your DAT scores are automatically included in your AADSAS application if you designated them to receive your scores when you applied (if this is still a step you have to take) so all your schools should get them automatically. Check TMDSAS or AADSAS help to confirm. You should not need to send score reports to all of your schools (and I don't know why you would apply to 24 of the 60+ schools...).

Considering you already applied and paid the fees, you might as well pay the supplemental at this point. I’m assuming your Texan given you’ve asked questions in TX school threads, in that case I would try to do your research on which OOS schools accept texas applicants. This will usually be southern schools and some east coast/Midwest schools like MN accept texas applicants.

If you’re trying to reduce your app cost burden, it will help to know what your GPA/DAT score is by filling out a WAMC post and we could provide some feedback. You could potentially reduce the list to 12 by selecting more targeted schools rather than a shotgun method which you’ve done here.

How often are you updating hours for your ongoing experiences? I heard schools aren't able to see exactly what you updated and it's best to email them letting them know, but I feel like hours are kind of trivial once you've reached a certain amount (and i don't want to annoy them if it's not a letter grade or anything)

I took DAT twice, first attempt I only chose a handful of schools to receive the scores. Second attempt I selected every school. I know schools want to see every score, so will all the schools I apply to have access to my first attempt although they weren't on my first attempt's list?

I took DAT twice, first attempt I only chose a handful of schools to receive the scores. Second attempt I selected every school. I know schools want to see every score, so will all the schools I apply to have access to my first attempt although they weren't on my first attempt's list?
I believe so, yes

I took Physics 2 over the summer and went to update my application. I followed the steps but I'm not sure it worked. I changed the transcript entry to reflect a grade, ordered a transcript, and the transcript was received 6 days ago. But when I go to look at the application, the transcript entry for Physics 2 still says "unverified" and the GPA still hasn't changed. I don't know if I successfully updated my application or is it just taking a while for ADEA to verify it right now. Anyone experiencing similar thing?

I took Physics 2 over the summer and went to update my application. I followed the steps but I'm not sure it worked. I changed the transcript entry to reflect a grade, ordered a transcript, and the transcript was received 6 days ago. But when I go to look at the application, the transcript entry for Physics 2 still says "unverified" and the GPA still hasn't changed. I don't know if I successfully updated my application or is it just taking a while for ADEA to verify it right now. Anyone experiencing similar thing?
it's probably taking longer since they probably are receiving a lot of apps right now

Once you get an interview, is your interview the deciding factor that gets you an acceptance? For instance, if I had a bad interview because I was nervous, can I still get an acceptance or is it unlikely? If someone has high stats and a great personal statement and extracurriculars, but a bad interview, does that interview carry that much weight towards determining whether or not they earn an acceptance?

Once you get an interview, is your interview the deciding factor that gets you an acceptance? For instance, if I had a bad interview because I was nervous, can I still get an acceptance or is it unlikely? If someone has high stats and a great personal statement and extracurriculars, but a bad interview, does that interview carry that much weight towards determining whether or not they earn an acceptance?
it depends...

How bad are we talking about? You can be nervous, but everyone else is too.

Status
Not open for further replies.