ADEA 2023-2024 Application Questions thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How bad are we talking about? You can be nervous, but everyone else is too.
Honestly probably not that bad (I'm probs just being hard on myself), but I know other people can still have stellar interviews under pressure.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly probably not that bad (I'm probs just being hard on myself), but I know other people can still have stellar interviews under pressure.
Some people thrive under pressure, some don't, I'm like half n half, if I know I'm prepared I'll thrive but if I know I'm not prepared then I'll crack. Which is why I do everything a million times over. Just keep practicing and refining your skills. I'm sure you are overthinking it. Try to put it in the past and focus on your next interview and learn from your past mistakes. My first interview definitely wasn't my best either, but I took some mental notes and practiced.

Keep your head up!

Hi, I recently got an interview invite for Touro and my aadsas status said "invited for interview" but now it says "none" even though they sent me an email yesterday about my interview date. should i be concerned?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I recently got an interview invite for Touro and my aadsas status said "invited for interview" but now it says "none" even though they sent me an email yesterday about my interview date. should i be concerned?
it also happened to me i think it’s normal

Just updated my application with a grade and realized that the course name doesn't exactly match the transcript. Is this going to cause a lot of delays?

Yup course number is correct, just that I added an alphabet in front of the course number because that's what it states on my grading portal but not on the official transcript.

Yup course number is correct, just that I added an alphabet in front of the course number because that's what it states on my grading portal but not on the official transcript.
dontworryaboutit

As a Canadian applicant, will I need to submit course syllabi for the required prequisite courses for American schools?

I initially said on my AADSAS application that I plan to take Spanish, but I decided not to before the drop deadline at my university. I updated that during the academic update period, but do I need to personally reach out to all the schools to let them know that I'm no longer planning on taking that course? It was soley an elective and not a prerequisite for any of my schools. My friend said at Detroit Mercy someone got in trouble for not doing so.

Members don't see this ad :)
I initially said on my AADSAS application that I plan to take Spanish, but I decided not to before the drop deadline at my university. I updated that during the academic update period, but do I need to personally reach out to all the schools to let them know that I'm no longer planning on taking that course? It was soley an elective and not a prerequisite for any of my schools. My friend said at Detroit Mercy someone got in trouble for not doing so.
No you should be fine. I changed 3/5 classes and none of the schools I applied to said anything

Reactions: 1 users
does nova require a lor from a liberal arts professor?
This is directly from their website brochure which I googled.

"an evaluation by a preprofessional health adviser or committee from the applicant’s undergraduate institution, if it was not previously sent to AADSAS. If this evaluation cannot be provided, three individual letters of evaluation from undergraduate instructors (two science instructors and a liberal arts instructor), if they were not previously submitted to AADSAS, may be sent to NSU. If possible, these letters should be from faculty members who know the applicant’s scholastic abilities and personal character; otherwise, they should be from individuals (nonrelatives) who can provide an evaluation to the Committee on Admissions. • a letter of evaluation from a dentist (highly recommended, but not required)"

So yes, you need a liberal arts prof as part of their application requirements.

@Ryxndek I received an interview from them today but didn't submit a LOR from a liberal arts prof. rather i submitted one from my employer. Not sure what I should do?

@Ryxndek I received an interview from them today but didn't submit a LOR from a liberal arts prof. rather i submitted one from my employer. Not sure what I should do?
You could contact the school to confirm, they may have waived the requirement for you without you knowing. But might be better to be safe and confirm, they may ask to have the letter sent before making a decision to give you time to acquire one. Did you receive an application complete email? Most schools will send one and have an itemized list of your requirements and if they were fulfilled or not. But regardless you did get an interview, so I'd focus on that more than the letter.

Though this is all speculative, as I don't work in admissions. @Mr.Smile12 might be able to provide more clear insight into this situation.

Thank you, I don't think I got any confirmation email but on their portal it says they have received everything..

I was assigned a date in November for an interview but cannot attend due to a scheduling conflict. I notified the school (OSU) and they gave me the option of either an early December in-person interview date or a virtual interview with the date TBD.
Would it negatively impact my chances of a pre-December acceptance if I interview in December in person? Guidance on what would be the best option? TIA.

I was assigned a date in November for an interview but cannot attend due to a scheduling conflict. I notified the school (OSU) and they gave me the option of either an early December in-person interview date or a virtual interview with the date TBD.
Would it negatively impact my chances of a pre-December acceptance if I interview in December in person? Guidance on what would be the best option? TIA.
Re-read your question - you can't get a pre-December acceptance if you don't interview until December...

Re-read your question - you can't get a pre-December acceptance if you don't interview until December...
I didn't mean pre-December acceptance, my apologizes. I mean in comparison for interviewing in November vs December. Since December 15th is the first day we hear back about any decisions, I was wondering if it would negatively impact any decision if I interviewed on December 2nd compared to November 4th.

So what I don't know is whether the school will have decisions made in time for December 15 notification if the interview occurred earlier in the month. I say this because there are inconveniences to the schedule such as final exams that could prevent an interviewer from submitting a score on an applicant in time for a committee meeting (provided there is one properly scheduled). Things like this can happen, though admissions staff will do anything it can to get everyone's responses in quickly.

That said, not everyone who gets an offer on December 15 will accept so there are likely still seats available. You are probably good with taking a virtual. Yes, psychologically do what you can to get it done sooner than later (I'd take November 4 if I could for December 15 notification, but if you have a conflict... oh well), but practically you take your shot when it is available to you and TRUST THE PROCESS.

Will not going to Marquettes Visit Day hurt my chances of admission? I have an exam that I can't make up that day, and I have already toured the school twice.

Will not going to Marquettes Visit Day hurt my chances of admission? I have an exam that I can't make up that day, and I have already toured the school twice.
Unless it’s required, it really shouldn’t. Touring 2x already shows interest. So I’d imagine you should be fine

Does anyone that goes to UOP able to share an outline of their curriculum (like what courses they take in each semester)? I'm just curious how UOP is able to fit dental school in 3 years.

Can the dental school see my most updated app if I make an update after submitting my primary app but if my overall file is still “not complete”?

Let’s say I submitted my primary app to a school on day X, a few days after I made an update to AADSAS. A few weeks after the school sent me an email to pay the supplemental fee and then after that told me my app is complete and ready for review. So will this mean that they have access to my most updated primary file?

Can the dental school see my most updated app if I make an update after submitting my primary app but if my overall file is still “not complete”?

Let’s say I submitted my primary app to a school on day X, a few days after I made an update to AADSAS. A few weeks after the school sent me an email to pay the supplemental fee and then after that told me my app is complete and ready for review. So will this mean that they have access to my most updated primary file?
What did you update?

am i gnna have delays? I updated my application with an evaluation request for a new LOR. all of my apps have been verified and moved to "reviewing/under review"....i got an email today from VCU saying it was incomplete bc the LOR request. will this hault schools from looking at my app, or they will know its an update?

What does being "deferred" mean? Is there still hope for me especially if it's one of my top choices?

What does being "deferred" mean? Is there still hope for me especially if it's one of my top choices?
it generally means that they are choosing not to invite you for an interview at this time. but they can always review again later in the cycle. so there is still hope...

I just had an interview at UPENN, and the dean of admission director said that if I plan to change my planned coursework for the spring semester, I have to let them know as via email as soon as possible or else they will rescind my acceptance. He seemed very serious about this and said that this goes for all schools. Is this true?

For context, I plan to take a 4-credit physiology course instead of a 5-credit physiology course (which I indicated on my aadsas) application because I will have more free time in my spring semester.

• Hmm
I just had an interview at UPENN, and the dean of admission director said that if I plan to change my planned coursework for the spring semester, I have to let them know as via email as soon as possible or else they will rescind my acceptance. He seemed very serious about this and said that this goes for all schools. Is this true?

For context, I plan to take a 4-credit physiology course instead of a 5-credit physiology course (which I indicated on my aadsas) application because I will have more free time in my spring semester.
Uh, I think they were just trying to scare you. I had to change like 3 of my planned courses and never told any of the schools I applied to/interviewed with and was still accepted to 4/5 of them and never once was told that. It must be true to their school that they'd do that, but to extrapolate that all schools do this to try and scare you seems a bit excessive. Not all schools do this, or at least say they'll rescind an offer. The only way I could think of this is if you fail to pass a required pre-req class in the spring before school starts as you can't take pre-reqs the summer before you matriculate.

If you're swapping classes that's fine, let UPenn know. If you want, you can let other schools know as well. But when you update the course, schools should get the update and will see it during the academic update periods. I don't really see why you'd need to let a school know unless it was drastic or if it was for a pre-req.

Maybe @Mr.Smile12 might be able to provide better insight?

You need to get your acceptance. :) If there is any language requiring you to notify schools of changes to planned coursework, it should be a condition of acceptance stated in the offer letter that you get. That said, we like to be kept in the loop, but I don't think we would have an issue if you substituted out a genetics class for a bunch of PE classes. (But YMMV.)

The most important classes where we would want notification center on required courses (of course). I can't speak for Penn wanting to know what other courses you intend to take. Your final transcript needs to be delivered to the school to complete the matriculation process, and I'm sure few people want surprises (like you dropped out your last semester or something). The point is that you shouldn't give us an unpleasant surprise once we get that final transcript.

I just added one more experience to my AADSAS application. Will the schools be able to see that? How does this adding additional experiences work after submitting the application?

Do you need to disclose academic/non-academic investigations that you were found NOT RESPONSIBLE for and received no disciplinary actions during an interview? Do dental schools specifically request disciplinary records or internal student conduct records?
I'm in a similar situation like toothnerd87 (non-academic investigation and no IA. Settled informally.). Do dental schools ask for investigation records to complete acceptance?

I'm in a similar situation like toothnerd87 (non-academic investigation and no IA. Settled informally.). Do dental schools ask for investigation records to complete acceptance?
Yes, some will. That's why you make sure you work with your student conduct dean for the language you need when describing your IA's on your AADSAS application.

Yes, some will. That's why you make sure you work with your student conduct dean for the language you need when describing your IA's on your AADSAS application.
Thank you for your response, @Mr.Smile12.

Does even an investigation count as IA because AADSAS application defines this to be some sort of judgement or ruling?

source: https://www.adea.org/dental_educati...estionsinapplicationsconcerningmisconduct.pdf

To give you the right context, I'm in the final stages of wrapping up settlement with the school but no action has been taken against me or admission of guilt required by the school as part of the settlement. No disciplinary hearing even took place. The school also has tentatively accepted that they will report that I don't have any disciplinary action against me should a 3rd party ask (which I presume is any school).

So, if I get an acceptance next week, how soon will schools typically ask for all disciplinary records or do they check for "disciplinary action taken" records only?

I'm wondering about the academic updates through AADSAS for accepted students. Is this only required for non-accepted students who are still trying to update their applications in order to receive an interview? If you are an accepted student, do you just need to send a final transcript directly to your school after the spring semester ends and have no need to be updating the AADSAS application?

I'm wondering about the academic updates through AADSAS for accepted students. Is this only required for non-accepted students who are still trying to update their applications in order to receive an interview? If you are an accepted student, do you just need to send a final transcript directly to your school after the spring semester ends and have no need to be updating the AADSAS application?
As an accepted student you don’t need to update schools with anything else unless you want to. If the acceptance email says final transcripts then you can just wait until your final transcript is ready. For non accepted students it gives them the option of updating schools to try and snag an interview or get off the waitlist.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all!

I applied to a dental school where they require 6 semester hours of english. My undergrad doesn't do a traditional freshman writing seminar but a series of topical writing-intensive courses. This is my English requirement but the dental school didn't recognize it as such. They've asked me to send an email stating how I intend to meet the English requirements.

How do you all recommend I draft this email? What should I include?

Thanks for your advice!

Hi all!

I applied to a dental school where they require 6 semester hours of english. My undergrad doesn't do a traditional freshman writing seminar but a series of topical writing-intensive courses. This is my English requirement but the dental school didn't recognize it as such. They've asked me to send an email stating how I intend to meet the English requirements.

How do you all recommend I draft this email? What should I include?

Thanks for your advice!
Get your prehealth or academic advising office's help. They probably have language or a document you can share.

Status
Not open for further replies.