ADEA 2023-2024 Application Questions thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw that someone touched on Yankee Dental earlier, but I wanted to follow up on that to ask about Academic Enrichment. I'm currently a dental assistant and have roughly 30 CEUs. Could/should I add a section in Experiences/Academic Enrichment to show my continuing education credits? I took classes in CEREC, impressions, staining crowns, etc and I feel like that could be beneficial in showing my hands-on experience. It would be my only entry for academic enrichment.

Members don't see this ad.

I saw that someone touched on Yankee Dental earlier, but I wanted to follow up on that to ask about Academic Enrichment. I'm currently a dental assistant and have roughly 30 CEUs. Could/should I add a section in Experiences/Academic Enrichment to show my continuing education credits? I took classes in CEREC, impressions, staining crowns, etc and I feel like that could be beneficial in showing my hands-on experience. It would be my only entry for academic enrichment.

I don't think that's how AADSAS defines academic enrichment experiences. Usually we expect pipeline programs that help you learn more about a career as a dentist and help you prepare for dental education. The CEU's sounds like they help with ongoing certifications you hold. You can always check the schools on your list how they would prefer you list the CEU's.

I don't think that's how AADSAS defines academic enrichment experiences. Usually we expect pipeline programs that help you learn more about a career as a dentist and help you prepare for dental education. The CEU's sounds like they help with ongoing certifications you hold. You can always check the schools on your list how they would prefer you list the CEU's.
Ah I see. Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Graduated in 2019 and just applied… but I didn’t realize a few schools had a 5 year expiration on prereqs. Did decently well on the dat ts in 2021 (24). How closely do these schools follow the prereq expiration date?

Reactions: 1 user
Graduated in 2019 and just applied… but I didn’t realize a few schools had a 5 year expiration on prereqs. Did decently well on the dat ts in 2021 (24). How closely do these schools follow the prereq expiration date?
Email the schools to see how hard pressed they are on it. They might be able to make an exception depending on when you took the course.

Email the schools to see how hard pressed they are on it. They might be able to make an exception depending on when you took the course.
Yep will do. Hopefully it’s a case by case thing but I figured I’d ask if anyone had prior experience. Applied to them already so it is what it is

Kinda in the same boat unfortunately. Which school are you asking about?

Udm, vcu, Buffalo, and Pitt were the schools 😭
So good news Buffalo has an exception form on their website.
I tried emailing UDM and heard nothing so I’m holding off on the secondary for now. If they respond to you let me know!

I also found out after sending the primary so crying over the fees! 😭

Update: I called UDM they said anything older than 5 years you'd need to retake. RIP primary fees. 😭😭
Oof…. And I just got an interview invite from UDM today…. They said they’d “audit” my prereqs but it was my responsibility to register for them. I’m going to wait for the audit but we’ll see.

You mean the specific Howard secondary application? When is your future DAT?
I'm referring to the application in the AADSAS portal. I was able to submit for all of the schools except for Howard. I will be testing at the end of July.

I, too, am a 2019 graduate. I ran into this exact issue with UAB and will be meeting with admissions this week to discuss. I'll keep you all posted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oof…. And I just got an interview invite from UDM today…. They said they’d “audit” my prereqs but it was my responsibility to register for them. I’m going to wait for the audit but we’ll see.
I hope it works out for you with UDM.
I graduated in 2018 so 90% of my prereqs are well over the 5-year mark and they didn't care for my master's as it's not the same introductory courses. And at this point, I just don't feel like retaking classes that I passed again.

Did you happen to hear from Pitt btw?

I, too, am a 2019 graduate. I ran into this exact issue with UAB and will be meeting with admissions this week to discuss. I'll keep you all posted.
Good luck! Hopefully, they're understanding and allow for an exception to the rule!

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer my questions! I am going through the final steps in my application and had a few questions before finalizing it and clicking that submit button. Most of the questions are related to prerequisites.

1- How do I input planned classes I am going to take in the future to satisfy certain prerequisites? I am not entirely sure where and when I will take those classes, but I will definitely do it before matriculation. Do I have to input those planned classes before submitting my application? How do I go about matching them with schools under the "Program Materials" section? Right now, the only option I see is "I am not matching any courses to this to this prerequisite." Any guidance on this will be greatly appreciated.

2- Does Genetics count towards the gen bio requirements?

3- Does Analytical chemistry count towards the gen chem requirements?

4- Is there a compiled list of schools that don't accept AP credits somewhere so I can take a look?

Again, thanks for all your help! I am already planning to contact individual schools regarding questions 2 and 3 but it would be great to get some insight.

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer my questions! I am going through the final steps in my application and had a few questions before finalizing it and clicking that submit button. Most of the questions are related to prerequisites.

1- How do I input planned classes I am going to take in the future to satisfy certain prerequisites? I am not entirely sure where and when I will take those classes, but I will definitely do it before matriculation. Do I have to input those planned classes before submitting my application? How do I go about matching them with schools under the "Program Materials" section? Right now, the only option I see is "I am not matching any courses to this to this prerequisite." Any guidance on this will be greatly appreciated.

4- Is there a compiled list of schools that don't accept AP credits somewhere so I can take a look?

Again, thanks for all your help! I am already planning to contact individual schools regarding questions 2 and 3 but it would be great to get some insight.
1 - You will input the class in the semester you plan on taking it (either fall or spring) and then in the top right corner of the term you select it will say "Term", "Year", "Academic Status" and then "Completition Status" this is where you will put "In Progress/Planned" for the courses. So you don't need grades but schools can see that you've at least planned them out. You will have to have some idea. It's okay to put them for the fall, and if you don't end up taking it then, there will be an academic update period sometime in December where you can edit your transcript entry and resubmit that to schools to get it updated for the spring.

2. No, has to be general biology. Genetics would count as an upper-division science elective course if schools have that slot to fill in when marking prerequisites

3. No, must be general chemistry. Analytic chemistry would again just be an upper-division science elective. Some schools may use analytical chemistry if your school uses a 3-semester chemistry sequence (mine did, so I could have used analytical chemistry, I used chemical biology instead, had no issues with schools accepting it except for Marquette)

4. Not that I'm aware of, if you have the ADEA dental school explorer it will tell you there if schools accept AP credits or not. Maybe I'll use my subscription to add onto a google sheet and have that available to applicants. I can start working on it tonight. Will take a little bit of time, however.

• Care
Hi everyone,

Here is the file, just finished it. Hopefully it helps you and other applicants. I tried my best to find the information. If you need clarification reach out to admissions!

Hi everyone,

My time to shine!! 😂😂

This is not an extensive list; just the schools I reached out to for my AP chem credits.
Won't accept AP credits:
* Western & Indiana will only take English
* SIU, ASDOH, Temple, Boston (I think they said yes to analytical chem but I never took it)

Other than those, some other schools kinda met me halfway:
* Marquette: I worked with them on my courses so I'd suggest you do the same.
* UIC, Touro, Rutgers, Tufts, Case Western: Will accept advanced courses.
* Buffalo: if accepted by undergrad they'll take it except Bio

When in doubt though email the school directly because as I said, some worked with me with my classes to ensure that I can satisfy the requirement before submitting.

Good luck!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
1 - You will input the class in the semester you plan on taking it (either fall or spring) and then in the top right corner of the term you select it will say "Term", "Year", "Academic Status" and then "Completition Status" this is where you will put "In Progress/Planned" for the courses. So you don't need grades but schools can see that you've at least planned them out. You will have to have some idea. It's okay to put them for the fall, and if you don't end up taking it then, there will be an academic update period sometime in December where you can edit your transcript entry and resubmit that to schools to get it updated for the spring.

2. No, has to be general biology. Genetics would count as an upper-division science elective course if schools have that slot to fill in when marking prerequisites

3. No, must be general chemistry. Analytic chemistry would again just be an upper-division science elective. Some schools may use analytical chemistry if your school uses a 3-semester chemistry sequence (mine did, so I could have used analytical chemistry, I used chemical biology instead, had no issues with schools accepting it except for Marquette)

4. Not that I'm aware of, if you have the ADEA dental school explorer it will tell you there if schools accept AP credits or not. Maybe I'll use my subscription to add onto a google sheet and have that available to applicants. I can start working on it tonight. Will take a little bit of time, however.
Thanks so much for the quick and informative reply! Just to follow up a little more on your reply:

1. When would you recommend I start taking prerequisite classes I need to take for my schools of interest? Is there an "ideal" time? Would any time before matriculation (Fall 2024) work?

2. That makes it more clear, thanks!

3. Would you mind clarifying what you mean by a 3-semester sequence? I might have an idea what you are talking about but a clarification would be amazing!

4. That's so nice of you! I am sure a lot of people would appreciate the help!

My time to shine!! 😂😂

This is not an extensive list; just the schools I reached out to for my AP chem credits.
Won't accept AP credits:
* Western & Indiana will only take English
* SIU, ASDOH, Temple, Boston (I think they said yes to analytical chem but I never took it)

Other than those, some other schools kinda met me halfway:
* Marquette: I worked with them on my courses so I'd suggest you do the same.
* UIC, Touro, Rutgers, Tufts, Case Western: Will accept advanced courses.
* Buffalo: if accepted by undergrad they'll take it except Bio

When in doubt though email the school directly because as I said, some worked with me with my classes to ensure that I can satisfy the requirement before submitting.

Good luck!
I will definitely try to work with the individual schools on my list, but this gives me a good idea given that I am applying to the majority of those schools.

Thank you!

Thanks so much for the quick and informative reply! Just to follow up a little more on your reply:

1. When would you recommend I start taking prerequisite classes I need to take for my schools of interest? Is there an "ideal" time? Would any time before matriculation (Fall 2024) work?

2. That makes it more clear, thanks!

3. Would you mind clarifying what you mean by a 3-semester sequence? I might have an idea what you are talking about but a clarification would be amazing!

4. That's so nice of you! I am sure a lot of people would appreciate the help!
As long as you complete the courses before you matriculate they will work. You cannot take any summer classes the year you plan to enter dental school. They won't take a gamble on you with you entering the DS class and not passing the prereq course.

3. My 3 semester sequence was 1 semester of gen chem, 1 semester of gen chem 2/ochem 1, and another semester of brief ochem 1 and mostly ochem 2. They omitted some material that isn't relevant for bioscience majors. Some schools didn't like the 3 semester sequence that is my school specific so I had to take another chem course to satisfy the traditional 4 semester chemistry sequence (gen chem 1/2 and ochem 1/2)

Hi, I got a couple more questions.

Can I remove planned classes from transcript entry during the academic update period? Can I add any planned classes outside of that period after submitting my primary application for verification?

Thanks!

Hi, I got a couple more questions.

Can I remove planned classes from transcript entry during the academic update period? Can I add any planned classes outside of that period after submitting my primary application for verification?

Thanks!
When the academic update period occurs, you’ll be able to update what courses you actually took. So yes, you’ll be able to remove/add classes. Though you may have to update schools if the planned courses change

You can’t add classes outside the academic update period, at least not that I’m aware of

When the academic update period occurs, you’ll be able to update what courses you actually took. So yes, you’ll be able to remove/add classes. Though you may have to update schools if the planned courses change

You can’t add classes outside the academic update period, at least not that I’m aware of
So, if I want to get my application in ASAP to one of the schools so I can start the verification process, but I am not so sure about the prerequisites for some of the schools. Can I add a bunch of classes that I may or may not need as planned to be safe and remove a few of them during the next update period? Or should I take an extra week to figure out exactly which ones I need before submitting?

So, if I want to get my application in ASAP to one of the schools so I can start the verification process, but I am not so sure about the prerequisites for some of the schools. Can I add a bunch of classes that I may or may not need as planned to be safe and remove a few of them during the next update period? Or should I take an extra week to figure out exactly which ones I need before submitting?
I think it would be better to at least have a general idea of which classes you’re taking and not completely change everything. I think of the 9 classes I had planned I changed 2 of them to 2 different ones.

Hi! I have like a really stupid question if you guys wanna help me clarify this... for some schools that do not accept credits that are more than 5 years old, does that mean I cannot use my AP bio credit that I got in 2018? I took AP Bio in my senior year of high school, and I took a gap year. I emailed the school and one told me the cut-off year is 2018 and it must have a completion date within 5 years. I know this question is so dumb but I just want to triple check since the school didn't tell me yes or no directly, and I guess I have a problem understanding it..

I believe AP is different. If the school accepts AP credits for their prerequisite course requirements I think it should be okay. The 5 year mark I think is for college courses. Thought I could be totally wrong. @Mr.Smile12 do you happen to know?

It’s possible all classes must be completed within a 5 year period however. Do you have other bio classes you can use? Or did your school waive your entire intro to bio course based on your AP score

I believe AP is different. If the school accepts AP credits for their prerequisite course requirements I think it should be okay. The 5 year mark I think is for college courses. Thought I could be totally wrong. @Mr.Smile12 do you happen to know?
Thank you for your reply!! I emailed the Detroit Mercy to ask about my AP credits specifically. They said it must have a completion date within 5 years from the date of application and that the cut=off year is 2018 for this cycle. If accepted, prereqs must be completed before matriculation.

So I'm not sure what they exactly meant by that since they didn't say yes or no to my AP credits directly :(

Thank you for your reply!! I emailed the Detroit Mercy to ask about my AP credits specifically. They said it must have a completion date within 5 years from the date of application and that the cut=off year is 2018 for this cycle. If accepted, prereqs must be completed before matriculation.

So I'm not sure what they exactly meant by that since they didn't say yes or no to my AP credits directly :(
Schools usually give vague answers lol. It’s frustrating. If you got the score in 2018 then I think it would be okay. I would just include other bio courses if you can to go along with the AP bio score. Usually schools will want to see that you have some type of upper division bio courses if you passed out of your intro bio courses with AP credits.

Schools usually give vague answers lol. It’s frustrating. If you got the score in 2018 then I think it would be okay. I would just include other bio courses if you can to go along with the AP bio score. Usually schools will want to see that you have some type of upper division bio courses if you passed out of your intro bio courses with AP credits.
Yeah T__T thank you for relating to my frustration.. it was making me feel brain dead. I do have gen biology lab, genetics (4), and brain development (3), but unfortunately, I didn't take any other upper division bio courses. It's definitely my fault for not taking more courses but I wasn't sure if I even wanted to go to dental school in undergrad.. That's why the AP bio credits are pretty important to me because genetics and brain development would only add up to 7 credits, and I don't even know if all schools would accept them as biology prerequisites.

UDM require that all your prereqs are not older than 5 years. I think this is irrelevant of AP credits. You just can’t have any classes older than 5 years for your prereqs or you’d need to retake.

General question to those on this thread:
I think this year (and perhaps last year), ADEA allowed individual schools to select from a menu of 8 "custom questions" to ask to applicants as part of a "secondary" process (childhood/residency, disadvantaged, education interrupted/explained, family, first-gen college, military, relatives in dentistry, reapplicant updates) as well as additional questions: (SES disparities, languages spoken, statement of interest). I wanted to know if you have been keeping track of these custom questions in the School-Specific Threads as well as any secondary essay prompts you may have to answer (or have to do Casper/Kira Talent)?

UDM require that all your prereqs are not older than 5 years. I think this is irrelevant of AP credits. You just can’t have any classes older than 5 years for your prereqs or you’d need to retake.
Thank you for your response. I sent another email asking for clarification, and I'll let you guys know what she says.

Aside from that, I guess my essential question is, does anyone know if it would be detrimental if my transcript entry does not list some planned courses and say that I am not matching the course to the prerequisite? I'm going to contact all the schools regardless and actively communicate on this matter, but I just want to really submit my application for some schools today :/ Your help is sincerely appreciated.

Thank you for your response. I sent another email asking for clarification, and I'll let you guys know what she says.

Aside from that, I guess my essential question is, does anyone know if it would be detrimental if my transcript entry does not list some planned courses and say that I am not matching the course to the prerequisite? I'm going to contact all the schools regardless and actively communicate on this matter, but I just want to really submit my application for some schools today :/ Your help is sincerely appreciated.
You can’t match a course to a prereq that you have not taken

You can’t match a course to a prereq that you have not taken
Gotcha. Thank you so much.

One last question.. Would Biochemical Research Techniques class count as biochemistry for its subject on the transcript entry? Some schools told me it would count towards as inorganic chemistry class and I need this credit for chemistry prereq, so I just want to make sure.

Hi everyone! I am currently working on my application and I just have one question... It might be dumb but if I am in a sorority and pledged while I was in undergrad.. How would I add that to the extracurricular activites section? As far as the "title, hours and weeks?" I am currently still a member and very active in my sorority! I do alot of volunteering. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Gotcha. Thank you so much.

One last question.. Would Biochemical Research Techniques class count as biochemistry for its subject on the transcript entry? Some schools told me it would count towards as inorganic chemistry class and I need this credit for chemistry prereq, so I just want to make sure.
I think you could classify it as Biochem but AADSAS may change the classification. They changed some of my classifications. Chemical biology was classified as Biochem by AADSAS but was a chemistry class according to my school

Hi everyone! I am currently working on my application and I just have one question... It might be dumb but if I am in a sorority and pledged while I was in undergrad.. How would I add that to the extracurricular activites section? As far as the "title, hours and weeks?" I am currently still a member and very active in my sorority! I do alot of volunteering. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I think you’d just have the volunteer work as an EC and say it was in your sorority versus the opposite. You could also mention you did it in your sorority during an interview.

Hi! So I was looking at the LOR requirements and one of them was to put a letterhead and signature. I never told any of my letter writers this requirement and Im worried they forgot to include both or did the signature typed out. I submitted these LOR on interfolio and they went through. That means they're all good right? Since interfolio does a quality check i believe?
i don't think it's interfolio's responsibility to check anything on an LOR
their job is to hold them and distribute them
i could be wrong, you may want to ask them or look on their website...

Last edited:
Hi! So I was looking at the LOR requirements and one of them was to put a letterhead and signature. I never told any of my letter writers this requirement and Im worried they forgot to include both or did the signature typed out. I submitted these LOR on interfolio and they went through. That means they're all good right? Since interfolio does a quality check i believe?
I’d say most profs should know this rule. I never asked my LORs to have them signed and on official letterhead and never had any problems. You should be fine

How do updates to AADSAS work? I made an update to a section in my personal information a week after submitting my apps. Do all the schools I have applied to get a notification of my update or show I email them individually about the update made? I was reading some of the emails sent by these schools and some say 'please refrain from emailing us'.

How do updates to AADSAS work? I made an update to a section in my personal information a week after submitting my apps. Do all the schools I have applied to get a notification of my update or show I email them individually about the update made? I was reading some of the emails sent by these schools and some say 'please refrain from emailing us'.
Yeah, don’t email if they don’t want them. I can’t be certain how schools get updates. Whether that’s every time you update an experience it gets sent to them (which I could imagine is annoying) or if they get them in batches like 1x a month or something.

The academic update is different in that you only get a couple weeks to update your grades. Whereas the experiences section you can add on whenever. But idk when those experiences get updated to schools. (Maybe when they request updates on their applicants). Not totally sure, but every school should get the update in some form or another.

Uhh, I just went back to read my application today and found out I made a mistake. I forgot to copy and paste the description of an activity I had written on a separate document. What do I do? I sorta explain a bit of the activity on my Covid impact statement, so I'm hoping I can just it will be alright. I've attached pics for reference and will be deleting this post eventually.

You should be okay

Uhh, I just went back to read my application today and found out I made a mistake. I forgot to copy and paste the description of an activity I had written on a separate document. What do I do? I sorta explain a bit of the activity on my Covid impact statement, so I'm hoping I can just it will be alright. I've attached pics for reference and will be deleting this post eventually.View attachment 374533View attachment 374534
dontworryaboutit

DCG supplemental application asks if I own or rent at my permanent address. The house is my parent's house which THEY own but I do live there. How should I answer that question?

Status
Not open for further replies.