Failed 2 tests in Physics and Chem out of 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentgurl10

Reaction score
I’m in a really tough dilemma right now and need some advice. I’m taking Chemistry 1 and Physics 1 for the first time and had no idea what I was signing up for, excluding the fact that I’ve always had the negative assumption engrained in my mind that I’m horrible at math. I just never really put the time in to excel in math and thats exactly what’s happening in physics and Chem. I missed my 2nd physics exam out of 4 because I knew I was going to bomb it and I know that my professor drops the lowest test grade (same with chem). I got a 48 on the first exam, but I have an 100 in labs and homework. Attendance is around an 80 in both physics and Chem, and in Chem I have an 80 In lab and a 90 on the homework, but a 54 on the first exam and a 43 on the second. I missed several classes due to my living situation and I should have gone to my prof’s office hours but what’s done is done.
I have two exams left, one midterm and final, for both classes and one month left of school. I’m thinking if I really dedicate every day to studying rigorously then I can at least pass both.

I really want to succeed and pass with at least a C or low B but I don’t want to be unrealistic. I can‘t withdraw unless I write a formal letter to the school explaining my situation and even then they may not accept it. So I’m at a loss. I want to finish and pass but I want to be realistic. I don’t want to ask what you would do if you were me... but what would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion I think that you shouldn’t give up on the classes. Classes will only get harder from where you’re at so you need to put in the necessary time to get an A on all your remaining exams and coursework. It won’t result in you getting an A in the classes but it will help you establish the right habits for future classes and prove to yourself that you can do it.

Reactions: 1 users
for chemistry try to watch Chad's videos. For both chem and physics go to supplemental information sessions if your college offers them and/or go to tutoring and/or go to office hours. Try studying at least a week before each test. If your professor assigns practice problems that aren't collected, do those

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion I think that you shouldn’t give up on the classes. Classes will only get harder from where you’re at so you need to put in the necessary time to get an A on all your remaining exams and coursework. It won’t result in you getting an A in the classes but it will help you establish the right habits for future classes and prove to yourself that you can do it.
Definitely. I really appreciate this advice, thank you.

for chemistry try to watch Chad's videos. For both chem and physics go to supplemental information sessions if your college offers them and/or go to tutoring and/or go to office hours. Try studying at least a week before each test. If your professor assigns practice problems that aren't collected, do those
Definitely. Thank you.

Definitely. Thank you.

You may want to hire a local tutor who can devote more time to you. I have found that at large schools, the tutoring center is often overwhelmed and cannot provide enough quality one-on-one time.

Additionally, I recommend pre-studying the material before the course begins. That is one of the strategies I recommend when students ask me the question "How do I do better in my classes?"

My advice is to try look up videos on physics and chemistry topics you’re struggling with. If your college also offers peer tutoring go to them and see if you can get a weekly tutor for rest of semester. Everyone never seems to ask for help. Khan academy and YouTube videos offer so many resources in helping with chemistry, I think paying for a tutor is honestly stupid. If none of this seems to help, write the letter and drop the course! Try to go to profs office hours too, might receive extra credit

Paying for a tutor is cheap compared to the cost of retaking a course. That is the advice I give to students.

I’m in a really tough dilemma right now and need some advice. I’m taking Chemistry 1 and Physics 1 for the first time and had no idea what I was signing up for, excluding the fact that I’ve always had the negative assumption engrained in my mind that I’m horrible at math. I just never really put the time in to excel in math and thats exactly what’s happening in physics and Chem. I missed my 2nd physics exam out of 4 because I knew I was going to bomb it and I know that my professor drops the lowest test grade (same with chem). I got a 48 on the first exam, but I have an 100 in labs and homework. Attendance is around an 80 in both physics and Chem, and in Chem I have an 80 In lab and a 90 on the homework, but a 54 on the first exam and a 43 on the second. I missed several classes due to my living situation and I should have gone to my prof’s office hours but what’s done is done.
I have two exams left, one midterm and final, for both classes and one month left of school. I’m thinking if I really dedicate every day to studying rigorously then I can at least pass both.

I really want to succeed and pass with at least a C or low B but I don’t want to be unrealistic. I can‘t withdraw unless I write a formal letter to the school explaining my situation and even then they may not accept it. So I’m at a loss. I want to finish and pass but I want to be realistic. I don’t want to ask what you would do if you were me... but what would you do?
I second lifeofpaula, Chad was the reason I got A's in GC 1,2 and OC1. Taking OC2 this spring but I got I feeling I'll get an A as well. Don't waste time on another course or pay tutor. Chad's videos are free which is unbelievable considering how gifted he is at teaching. He's an actual professor at Arizona university. Good luck!

I say try to excel in this class, but try to withdraw at the same time, if the school gave you the W. Take it with pleasure.