Failed Fam Med Shelf- Matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asclepius293

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Last week, my dad’s bowel perforated and he was septic the night before my fam med shelf. I was kind of out of it and took it anyways which in retrospect was very dumb. It felt like a total blur taking it. I ended up failing by a few points.

Clinically, I did really well and our school’s policy allows me to retake the exam to earn a Pass. However, it will have an asterisk with a note saying “passed upon shelf exam retake”.

The big problem is I want to match into family medicine out of state. Will this mark keep me from that? Would honoring additional family rotations in fourth year help my application?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah..you should be fine. If any specialty is forgiving, it is FM. I'd own up to it in interviews though...say you took the exam at a time of distress and shouldn't have..and that you learned from it in some meaningful way.

FM cares more about fit. As long as you’ve passed your boards (and many programs ive looked at wont consider you if you failed any steps or complex), you’re fine.

If you have to explain it, do so. My judgement would have been clouded too. That, and the make up exam for my school is in December for any shelf from the first half of third year.