USMLE Failed step 1...In need of guidance...low qbank score and nbme

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.abc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm an IMG, and have been studying for step 1 for the past 6 months (I did kaplan lecture noted and videos first) and for the past 3 months I have been doing only Kaplan qbank + FA. My qbank average is 51% and I am almost done with the entire qbank.

I did uwsa 1 about three months ago and got 190. About 6 weeks ago I did nbme 11 and failed...
I am afraid I am doing things wrong, I took step 1 some time ago and failed it...

Should I repeat kaplan qbank or should I start with a new qbank? What are your thoughts on usmleRx or should I just go ahead and do uworld?

What are your thoughts? Should I change my study plan? Any feedback is appreciated!
Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

have you done the uworld qbank at all? That is the most important qbank to do. go through all of that and make sure you understand what they're talking about, link the information to first aid, etc. The key is to retain information. I wouldn't take step 1 until you're confident that you can score at least 200+ and your practice tests are that high. for an IMG that fails, the need to score high on the retake is particularly more important. read through the 2015 experiences thread to see what people did to score well and try to do what they did.

Reactions: 1 user
have you done the uworld qbank at all? That is the most important qbank to do. go through all of that and make sure you understand what they're talking about, link the information to first aid, etc. The key is to retain information. I wouldn't take step 1 until you're confident that you can score at least 200+ and your practice tests are that high. for an IMG that fails, the need to score high on the retake is particularly more important. read through the 2015 experiences thread to see what people did to score well and try to do what they did.

THANK YOU :)

In my opinion I wouldn't be looking to write the test until I was sure I would score high. From what I've read the way to redeem a step 1 fail is to blow it out of the water, if I came out of it with a 200, I wouldn't be confident with my chances.

Reactions: 1 user