Family/Psychiatry Hybrid Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lopis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in doing one of the Family Medicine/Psychiatry residency programs. I am currently looking at UC Davis and UC San Diego.

I was wondering if there is anybody that has taken this route and can give me some ideas of whether or not the hybrid approach is worth it. My biggest worry is that I would end up practicing either Family OR psychiatry once finished with training rather than a mix of the two.

The reason I would like to pursue this type of training program is to be able to better provide for the population in a primary care setting. Far too often patients come through the primary care clinic only to be referred to a psychiatrist and end up waiting 6 months for their appointment.

If I did a hybrid program like this, would I be pushed toward being a full time psychiatrist because of the current shortage?

Any input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I asked this to someone and they said people usually end up doing one or the other. You're not pushed to do either one.

Generally speaking 2/3 of people that do a combined residency end up practicing 1 field, while 1/3 say they actively practice in both fields. Psych and FM go well together. What you practice will ultimately depend on you and what you want to do after residency. Once you're board certified, it really comes down to what type of work setting you want.

EDIT in 2019: This original statement was based on a study that is over a 10-15 yrs old. A new study that focused primarily on FM-Psych and IM-Psych programs actually found that the most recent data shows that 2/3 of people doing combined actually state that they do use both and maintain board certification in both. Just wanted to update in case anyone sees this in the future.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of places that have a shortage of primary care doctors have an even worse shortage of psychiatrists. The need for more psychiatrists in a lot of rural and undeserved urban areas can't be overstated. It seems like it would be fairly easy to handle both specialties working in a private practice.

It sounds like I had a pretty good idea about how this might go then. So it can be what I make it? Do you think it is even possible to try to have a mixture of both practices immediately after residency? I have been told that I will likely end up working for somebody in order to pay off loans when I finish residency. I think a direct care practice model would be ideal eventually. But I definitely need to pay back loans first!

I agree NurWollen on your comment about having a lack of psychiatrists in most rural settings. My thought process is that it would be nice to function as both the family doc and the psychiatrist in a small town somewhere. Rather than seeing people that need psych meds and then referring them out for a long wait.