FAMU 2020 Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh wow! Yeah good thing you caught the error in time! Did you get a new due date?

Not yet. I should get it around sometime next week. I will keep you posted.

Members don't see this ad.

I called the undergrad. admission office, 850.599.3796

I called and she is not in her OFFICE TODAY!!! :( I'll try again tomorrow this makes me even more nervous.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey the same thing is happening to me ... I sent them an email ... Maybe you should do that... I wouldn't worry too much about it... The COPPS should figure out that the program listed is wrong since they received an application from you. I haven't heard anything back from them from my email but just be patient.

Hi everyone. I'm a P2 student at Famu. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Hi everyone. I'm a P2 student at Famu. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Hello, I have a few question. Please briefly tell me how the application process is carried out. When should we expect interview invitations ? What happens if undergrad. Department have mistakenly admitted you as a science major, even though you have applied to the pharmacy program ? When are acceptance letters mailed out ? And everything I should know about the school. PLEASE !!

Hello, I have a few question. Please briefly tell me how the application process is carried out. When should we expect interview invitations ? What happens if undergrad. Department have mistakenly admitted you as a science major, even though you have applied to the pharmacy program ? When are acceptance letters mailed out ? And everything I should know about the school. PLEASE !!

Hi EddyLO:

1. Well considering you have already turned in your application. Basically now you wait until you get a letter inviting you to an interview (I received my letter March 20, 2012). The letter will include a set of interview dates (March 29-30, April 2-6, April 9-13, and April 16-20. These were the dates 2 years ago.) You will contact the number listed in the letter to tell what date and time you will like your interview on. You show up on the interview day (you prob should bring a friend who can drive, because parking is horrible depending on what time you come). The interview will be intense (there could be 2-5 people interviewing you). The acceptance letter time may vary. They will not decide until after the last interview day (I heard back late April or mid June).

2. Contact the undergrad admission and ask them how do you go about changing the major that you placed on your application. At this point, the college of pharmacy is more concerned with if you got accepted into the university itself (since you have to be accepted at FAMU first in order to be admitted into the pharmacy professional program).

3. I can answer what you want to know about the school, but I need you ask me what do you want to know.

Hi EddyLO:

1. Well considering you have already turned in your application. Basically now you wait until you get a letter inviting you to an interview (I received my letter March 20, 2012). The letter will include a set of interview dates (March 29-30, April 2-6, April 9-13, and April 16-20. These were the dates 2 years ago.) You will contact the number listed in the letter to tell what date and time you will like your interview on. You show up on the interview day (you prob should bring a friend who can drive, because parking is horrible depending on what time you come). The interview will be intense (there could be 2-5 people interviewing you). The acceptance letter time may vary. They will not decide until after the last interview day (I heard back late April or mid June).

2. Contact the undergrad admission and ask them how do you go about changing the major that you placed on your application. At this point, the college of pharmacy is more concerned with if you got accepted into the university itself (since you have to be accepted at FAMU first in order to be admitted into the pharmacy professional program).

3. I can answer what you want to know about the school, but I need you ask me what do you want to know.

Wow, this is very informative. I really appreciate it.

1) uhmmm, In approximation, how many transfer students apply to the program each year ?

2) How many transfer students get admitted each year

3) Are People placed on wait-list ? If so, what is the process with the wait-listed applicants.

4) Are preference given to African-Americans ? Since the school is populated as such.

5) Did you apply as a transfer student ? If so, what was your stats, if you don't mind sharing.

6) If you know, what does the admission committee pay much attention to, in an application.

We are very nervous !!!

Thanks very much !!!!

Hi EddyLO:

And lastly, does the interview invitation comes through the mail or by email or phone ??

Hi EddyLO:

Thank you for all the information! I have a question as well- You say the interview is intense and I keep hearing from others that it is difficult....can you elaborate on that? What was the hardest part of the interview process and if you recall any of the questions?

Hey the same thing is happening to me ... I sent them an email ... Maybe you should do that... I wouldn't worry too much about it... The COPPS should figure out that the program listed is wrong since they received an application from you. I haven't heard anything back from them from my email but just be patient.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, this is very informative. I really appreciate it.

1) uhmmm, In approximation, how many transfer students apply to the program each year ?

2) How many transfer students get admitted each year

3) Are People placed on wait-list ? If so, what is the process with the wait-listed applicants.

4) Are preference given to African-Americans ? Since the school is populated as such.

5) Did you apply as a transfer student ? If so, what was your stats, if you don't mind sharing.

6) If you know, what does the admission committee pay much attention to, in an application.

We are very nervous !!!

Thanks very much !!!!

Hi again EddyLO:

1. It would be hard for me to know how many transfer students applied in total, since I don't work for admissions. What I can say is, with my class (2016); we had more transfer students to be accepted vs the pre-professional students. However, the 2017 class had more pre-professional students accepted than transfer students. So in all honesty, it boils down to how well the pre-professional students do academically at FAMU. The worse they perform = more open seats at the main campus. There are approximately 140-150 seats (main campus) and 20-25 seats (Crestview campus). They may or may not expand the number of seats this year.

2. This is based on how well the pre-professional students do. If there are 150 of them and 150 seats and they all pass their classes, well 0 transfer students will be admitted to the MAIN campus, but there will be 20-25 transfer students that get accepted to Crestview. Again, it's based on how well the pre-professional students do academically. In my class, I will say 60-65% of us are transfer students (not including Crestview).

3. Yes people are placed on the waiting list. The best thing you can do if you get accepted and decide not to attend FAMU, is to quickly let them know. By doing so, you will allow people on the waiting list to be notified faster. I know several that was on the waiting list that got admitted a week before orientation.

4. Absolutely not. Preference is given to the pre-professional students (who may or may not be mostly African Americans). The pharmacy programs is pretty much diverse. In my class, I will say there are maybe 30-40 African Americans. The rest are people from the islands, the Middle East, Asia, etc.

5. My science GPA was 3.2ish and overall GPA was 3.4ish. I was the president of the pre-pharmacy club, worked on a few research projects, and I worked at Walgreens as a pharmacy tech. With that said, I know several people who got in with a 2.9ish and didn't have any pharmacy experience. FAMU looks at everything. I could have walked in with my stats and did horrible during the interview and not got accepted.

6. They look at everything in the application to see how well do you stand out among the others. Were you simply a member of a club, or did you served in some type of leadership position of that club? What is your motivation to become a pharmacist? I hope you didn’t say money. Why do you want to attend FAMU? They look to see how well you will fit into the program and if you can handle the program (your first semester you will be taking 8 classes + forum, so 9 courses if you add that).

And lastly, does the interview invitation comes through the mail or by email or phone ??

I received my interview invitation through mail and the last year class did as well. I'm not 100% certain about this year, since they seem to be doing some things a bit different. More than likely it will be by mail though.

ithink,

Do I need to call or email the undergraduate admissions to tell them to change my academic program from Pharmacy Undergraduate over to Pharmacy Professional? Or is it okay with how it is? I have already called the undergraduate admissions and it seems my counselor is not in and I have left two messages. >_< Please respond back as soon as possible. Thank you for your consideration.

ithink,

Does FAMU offer small research projects while you are in pharmacy school? What kind of research do they offer to P1 students when they enter the program?

Does FAMU also offer residency programs to students who complete their PharmD and want to continue to do more?

For your clinical rotations, are you also able to choose what sites you want to go to? Like maybe a different country or different setting?

Please respond back. Thank you for your consideration.

Thank you for all the information! I have a question as well- You say the interview is intense and I keep hearing from others that it is difficult....can you elaborate on that? What was the hardest part of the interview process and if you recall any of the questions?

Hi Kerikasg:

Sure. My interview consisted of 5 people. In MY opinion, it was intense because the questions were coming back-to-back and the emotionless facial expressions they kept. It was difficult to gauge if my responses were something they wanted to hear because they look at you with a blank stare most of the time. It's something that you will have to experience to fully know what others and I are talking about. They asked me: 1. Why pharmacy? 2. Why FAMU? 3. Name a healthcare disparity and what can I do as a pharmacist to help 4. If I saw friends cheating on an exam what would I do? 5. Tell them about a time that I had to learn something quickly? 6. Tell them about a time I had to teach something difficult and how did I handle it? 7. What are some pros and cons in respect to distant learning and what changes will I make to improve the cons? Those are the ones that I remember.

Reactions: 1 user
ithink,

Do I need to call or email the undergraduate admissions to tell them to change my academic program from Pharmacy Undergraduate over to Pharmacy Professional? Or is it okay with how it is? I have already called the undergraduate admissions and it seems my counselor is not in and I have left two messages. >_< Please respond back as soon as possible. Thank you for your consideration.

Hi HVT1011:
I'm sure at this point The College of Pharmacy may have already contacted the undergrad admissions to make sure that you was ACCEPTED into the university. The College of Pharmacy does not review the undergrad application at all. Their only concern is that you got accepted into the University itself so they can proceed with your application. You should contact both Undergrad admissions and The College of Pharmacy. Contact The College of Pharmacy first: (850) 599-3016. Ask to be connected to student services. Tell them your situation and ask if it's too late to change your major from pharmacy undergrad to pharmacy professional. If they say no, then go ahead and contact undergrad admissions via phone or email.

Hi Kerikasg:

Sure. My interview consisted of 5 people. In MY opinion, it was intense because the questions were coming back-to-back and the emotionless facial expressions they kept. It was difficult to gauge if my responses were something they wanted to hear because they look at you with a blank stare most of the time. It's something that you will have to experience to fully know what others and I are talking about. They asked me: 1. Why pharmacy? 2. Why FAMU? 3. Name a healthcare disparity and what can I do as a pharmacist to help 4. If I saw friends cheating on an exam what would I do? 5. Tell them about a time that I had to learn something quickly? 6. Tell them about a time I had to teach something difficult and how did I handle it? 7. What are some pros and cons in respect to distant learning and what changes will I make to improve the cons? Those are the ones that I remember.

Hi ithink! Thanks again!! Those are some good questions!

I JUST GOT MY INTERVIEW LETTER!!! It came in my email

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone received an interview invitation too ?

Oh and whoever it is on this thread that is worried about their program saying "pharmacy undergrad" that's what mine says too but I got the interview letter so it looks like you'll be fine...

ithink,

Does FAMU offer small research projects while you are in pharmacy school? What kind of research do they offer to P1 students when they enter the program?

Does FAMU also offer residency programs to students who complete their PharmD and want to continue to do more?

For your clinical rotations, are you also able to choose what sites you want to go to? Like maybe a different country or different setting?

Please respond back. Thank you for your consideration.

Hi again,

1. The College of Pharmacy has two forms: pharmacy, which deals with clinical aspect. Then it has a graduate aspect that deals research. Since you are applying into the professional program, you will not be expose to the research aspect right off. Your 1st 3 years will be spent learning about the clinical aspect of pharmacy. If you are interested in research as a p1 you can get to know the TA who is in charge of your lab and ask him or her if you can help with their research project.

2. Yes FAMU offers a residency program. Once you are in your last year of pharmacy school, you can apply to different residency programs (including FAMU). The school that you match with is where you will go.

3. Right now my knowledge is limited in this area. I will learn more about this at the start of my p3 year. What I do know is, your p3 year you select 5 cities in Florida and they will pick where you will go. I know that you can do some of your rotations in different states (not sure about all of them). I know a p4 who did 2 of her rotations in Ga.

Oh and whoever it is on this thread that is worried about their program saying "pharmacy undergrad" that's what mine says too but I got the interview letter so it looks like you'll be fine...

that would be me; thank you :) and I emailed the Student Coordinator for the Pharmacy Program she says it is suppose to say that due to financial aid purposes because you are not considered a professional until P3.

Hi HVT1011:
I'm sure at this point The College of Pharmacy may have already contacted the undergrad admissions to make sure that you was ACCEPTED into the university. The College of Pharmacy does not review the undergrad application at all. Their only concern is that you got accepted into the University itself so they can proceed with your application. You should contact both Undergrad admissions and The College of Pharmacy. Contact The College of Pharmacy first: (850) 599-3016. Ask to be connected to student services. Tell them your situation and ask if it's too late to change your major from pharmacy undergrad to pharmacy professional. If they say no, then go ahead and contact undergrad admissions via phone or email.

Thank you Ithink for your responses and advice. I appreciate you taking the time to tell us all about FAMU.

Hi again,

1. The College of Pharmacy has two forms: pharmacy, which deals with clinical aspect. Then it has a graduate aspect that deals research. Since you are applying into the professional program, you will not be expose to the research aspect right off. Your 1st 3 years will be spent learning about the clinical aspect of pharmacy. If you are interested in research as a p1 you can get to know the TA who is in charge of your lab and ask him or her if you can help with their research project.

2. Yes FAMU offers a residency program. Once you are in your last year of pharmacy school, you can apply to different residency programs (including FAMU). The school that you match with is where you will go.

3. Right now my knowledge is limited in this area. I will learn more about this at the start of my p3 year. What I do know is, your p3 year you select 5 cities in Florida and they will pick where you will go. I know that you can do some of your rotations in different states (not sure about all of them). I know a p4 who did 2 of her rotations in Ga.

thank you again for taking the time to respond.

that would be me; thank you :) and I emailed the Student Coordinator for the Pharmacy Program she says it is suppose to say that due to financial aid purposes because you are not considered a professional until P3.
Yeah I work with a pharmacist who is a FAMU grad and was talking to her about it and she said that it was correct... I'm glad you were able to get more info to share!!!

What is the email of the student coordinator please ?

I just received my invitation via email also!

Reactions: 2 users
When I called yesterday she informed me that they were sending emails out in alphabetical order.

May be we should patiently wait for ours !!!

Just got my interview letter, my last name starts with F

Reactions: 1 users
YAY!!! Just got my interview via email!!!! Last name G!!!!! Congrats everyone!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I believe Mrs. Brown the number I called is 850-599-3016