Favorite science / medical word

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Morula

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
LadyWolverine said:
LOL!!!

Coelomate or blastocoel

I see your blastocoel, and raise you a trophectoderm.

Death to the weasels!

Members don't see this ad :)
buckminsterfullerene ...i guess, i'm sure there's better, but that's it for now

hippocampus
-mota

C.P. Jones said:
hehe, i wrote a secondary essay about wanting to meet bucky fuller

i'd say apoptosis

"Nuclear envelope." I always thought it sounded like a kick-ass rock band. Their first album would be "Selectively Permeable."

backside attack

way too many orgo jokes made in the day over that one

QuikClot said:
"Nuclear envelope." I always thought it sounded like a kick-ass rock band. Their first album would be "Selectively Permeable."
That's hilarious.

How about pneumothorax or thoracotomy?

Shodddy18 said:
That's probably my favorite one, too. My second: sputum.

QuikClot said:
"Nuclear envelope." I always thought it sounded like a kick-ass rock band.
:laugh: i totally wanted to start an electroclash band when i learned about "electronegativity"

Proctonaut

OK, I made that up... but among my friends, as an insult, it's stuck... "He's such a proctonaut."

Something else we call people is "autoumbilicologist". Autoumbilicologists are usually found in coffeehouses, working on their third latte, and crying over the state of postmodernism.

This isn't QUITE a single word, but I like using "x" as an infix to abbreviate words. . .

examples:
Reaction = Rxn
Function = Fxn

I get lazy and extend it to Trnscpxn, Trnslaxn, etc.

my favorite anatomy word is MEATUS!...a particular part of male anatomy

thirdunity said:
Proctonaut

OK, I made that up... but among my friends, as an insult, it's stuck... "He's such a proctonaut."

Something else we call people is "autoumbilicologist". Autoumbilicologists are usually found in coffeehouses, working on their third latte, and crying over the state of postmodernism.

terminal

Could mean computer station, could be side of a mRNA chain, could mean you're going to die....

It's a tie between Wenckebach AV Block (pronounced "winky-bock") and Stevens-Johnson Syndrome (I guess not so funny if your name is Steven...)

QuikClot said:

lol. When I took genetics, my lab partner and I were always thinking of genetic band names. After studying mitosis, we thought that the Sister Chromatids would be a great name for a girl band. Breeding fruit flies brought about Drosophila Melanogaster for a death metal artist. When we worked with restriction enzymes (EcoRI, HindIII), we came up with Hind and the Plasmids.

C.P. Jones said:

I was totally gonna say that! Good call. :)

piloerection

STOP!!!!!!
What's the point...that is sooooooooooooooooooooo...ugh

Depakote said:
On that note:

Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease

I just like the way it sounds.

On that note, my vote goes for encephalopathy...and if I have three words, bovine spongiform encephalopathy. It's a way to sound smart and a great icebreaker.

Dr. P "Hi, I'm Dr. Pepper. Bovine spongiform encephalopathy. See, I'm smart."

orchiomegaly

<large _______> fill in the rest, root word is orchi or orchio

Depakote said:
Oh! That's my favorite too! Wait, that probably sounds weird.

My favorite non-science word has always been "nefarious". Not sure why, but I just like the way it rolls off the tongue...its such a fancy way to say vile (isn't there someone on SDN with the name Nefarious?)

dam methylase

Giardia lamblia (a favorite insult amongst the nerd crew)

also vaginalis, as in "dont be such a..."

Arrhenius...because it sounds like Erroneous. "Now lets use the erroneous equation" :p

As far as nerdy band names go, I always thought Absolute Zero would be uber cool

QuikClot said:

:laugh: I think "Millimeters of Mercury" would be good name too.

edit: I guess my favorite scientific term is Helicobactor pylori, whenever it comes up in conversation (like if someone mentions an ulcer or something, I don't just name drop) my non-science friends seem impressed. Or bored. It depends.