Feeling discouraged, AA19/TS20 with 3.3 gpa, PLEASE some advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental_mags

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just took my DAT for the second time and I’m stuck. I’m not sure how I feel.
The first time I took the DAT I got:
PAT-20
QR-16
RC-20
BIO-19
GC-17
OC-16
TS-17
AA-18

This time around I got:

PAT-22
QR-16
RC-20
BIO-21
GC-19
OC-19
TS-20
AA-19
I am currently working as a Dental assistant at a Oral surgery practice for over half a year now and have 100+ shadowing hours.

I don’t feel like I have it in me to go for another retake. Is this good enough to apply? I’m stumped and need some advice. I really want to just apply this cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Dude, that is quite the improvement! You should be proud of yourself. Sure, it's not a 24AA/23TS, but it's still something to be proud of. Your TS went up 3 whole points, so that alone is really the most important part. People get in with 19TS and 18TS, I don't think you will struggle too much as long as you apply broadly and early. Sounds like your ECs are pretty good.

One thing I would do is call schools and make sure you won't get screened out because of that 16 in QR.

Also, what is your science GPA if you don't mind me asking? Is it the same as your oGPA?

Reactions: 1 users
Do you have your LORs and PS ready? If so I would apply it because I think it's still considered as an early. Otherwise, it takes quite a time to get those letters and get verified your GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have your LORs and PS ready? If so I would apply it because I think it's still considered as an early. Otherwise, it takes quite a time to get those letters and get verified your GPA.
My letters are in and transcripts have been in and verified for over a month however I have yet to receive and email about my GPA being verified.

Members don't see this ad :)
My letters are in and transcripts have been in and verified for over a month however I have yet to receive and email about my GPA being verified.

Your GPA will be verified once you submit your application to any school. There are schools don't require any essays so just submit your application as soon as possible. You don't have to submit all your applications at once.

Dude, that is quite the improvement! You should be proud of yourself. Sure, it's not a 24AA/23TS, but it's still something to be proud of. Your TS went up 3 whole points, so that alone is really the most important part. People get in with 19TS and 18TS, I don't think you will struggle too much as long as you apply broadly and early. Sounds like your ECs are pretty good.

One thing I would do is call schools and make sure you won't get screened out because of that 16 in QR.

Also, what is your science GPA if you don't mind me asking? Is it the same as your oGPA?
unfortunately my science GPA is about the same ): Thank you for the response and kind words!

Wait really? I did not know this. How do I submit individually? Is it under the Submit Application tab? I was always afraid to click that tab cause I didn't want to accidentally submit everything haha.

lol good that you figured it out. You can submit the individual application under "submit application" tab.

Don't worry they will ask your credit card number so it's impossible to submit the application by accident :)

lol good that you figured it out. You can submit the individual application under "submit application" tab.

Don't worry they will ask your credit card number so it's impossible to submit the application by accident :)
hahaha, This fact legit just popped din my head, thank you for the response and help!

Hey, you really should be proud!
We always underestimate our own efforts, but you are good and TS raised 3 points!
You should try to apply for sure and good luck!

Hey man,
Congrats on the boost in scores!
If you don't mind sharing, did you do anything different when you were studying for BIO this time around that you think caused the +2 increase?

Hey, you really should be proud!
We always underestimate our own efforts, but you are good and TS raised 3 points!
You should try to apply for sure and good luck!

Thank you so much for this! After thinking long and hard about it, I think I am going to try an apply this year :)

Hey man,
Congrats on the boost in scores!
If you don't mind sharing, did you do anything different when you were studying for BIO this time around that you think caused the +2 increase?

Thank you so much! For bio I read Dr. Romano’s Dynamite notes! Then I went through all the bio exams on Bootcamp and reviewed every question after even if I got it right. You can find the notes on the DAT destroyer Facebook group under one of the tabs, I can’t rmemeber what it’s called. Maybe files of downloads? I definetly felt more confident going in for bio this time around! Bio is all about exposure

So I just took my DAT for the second time and I’m stuck. I’m not sure how I feel.
The first time I took the DAT I got:
PAT-20
QR-16
RC-20
BIO-19
GC-17
OC-16
TS-17
AA-18

This time around I got:

PAT-22
QR-16
RC-20
BIO-21
GC-19
OC-19
TS-20
AA-19
I am currently working as a Dental assistant at a Oral surgery practice for over half a year now and have 100+ shadowing hours.

I don’t feel like I have it in me to go for another retake. Is this good enough to apply? I’m stumped and need some advice. I really want to just apply this cycle.
Great improvement! Don't even worry about that QR, it will be fine!

Congratulations! :clap::clap::clap:

Very nice scores, and it is obvious you put in a lot of hard work. I would not worry too much about the 16 in QR it is the least looked at section. Love that 20 in reading and so will the schools. 2 points up in Bio and GC and 3 in Orgo, Wow!

I would call the school directly with your stats, I see no reason you would not get interviews. Make sure you have a strong personal statement, that often is the door opener to an interview.

Wishing you the best..

Nancy

Congratulations! :clap::clap::clap:

Very nice scores, and it is obvious you put in a lot of hard work. I would not worry too much about the 16 in QR it is the least looked at section. Love that 20 in reading and so will the schools. 2 points up in Bio and GC and 3 in Orgo, Wow!

I would call the school directly with your stats, I see no reason you would not get interviews. Make sure you have a strong personal statement, that often is the door opener to an interview.

Wishing you the best..

Nancy
Thank you so much for the encouragement, it means a lot! I will definitely make sure my personal statement is compelling and the rest of my application is outstanding. I plan to submit tonight!

Just an update-on April 12th at around 9:30am I got the acceptance call from A.T. Still University in Missouri. Never lose hope everyone! I got in with these scores and you can too! If you're trickling on this thread feeling discouraged as I did, I believe in you! Keep on working hard and pushing through! You will get there and it does not matter how long it takes to get there. YOU WILL GET THERE! Never give up and always remember to take breaks; Don't feel the need to burn yourself out. Throughout this process, I have learned that staying positive is huge and time management is key. As long as you plan out and diligently follow your study schedule, there is no need to be losing sleep or meals just to study. Reality is you won't be able to focus and you will spend double the time you usually would to understand a topic/concept. So study smart and you got this!

Reactions: 7 users
Congratulations! I am so happy for you. Thanks for the words of encouragement to other students. Enjoy your summer! Dental school is just a few months away.

Wishing you the best!

Nancy

Reactions: 1 users
Hard work and commitment is what it took. You should be extremely proud of yourself. It would have been easy for you to give up after the first results. Great improvements and now you have attained your goal of getting into dental school.

It's time to set new ones now!

Reactions: 2 users
Hard work and commitment is what it took. You should be extremely proud of yourself. It would have been easy for you to give up after the first results. Great improvements and now you have attained your goal of getting into dental school.

It's time to set new ones now!

Much appreciated! Thank you so much and yes I agree! One goal after another

Thank you so much Nancy! I’m so excited!

I am so excited for you too! You never lost hope or gave up! Your perseverance to reach your dream paid off. You don't have to 30's on the DAT to get in, a lot of factors go into acceptance! Never give up on a dream, anything is possible if we believe we can!

Nancy