This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashxxch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergrad and I had pretty bad first two semesters. Second semester was worse than the first. The third semester I would say was fine. I was just wondering if medical school is far fetched at this point? I had valid reasons to do bad in my second semester.
So in more detail:
first semester i has an overall gpa of 3.3
biology 1 - B plus
chem 1 - B plus
Writing - B minus (only because my prof sucked)
distribution - A minus

second semester overall gpa: 3.06
biology 2 - C (I am going to retake it next semester)
chem 2 - B minus
writing 2 - B plus
writing biology - A minus
Calculus 1 - A

third semester (in process)
photography - A
painting - probably an A
biology 3 - probably an A
calculus 2 - probably a B plus

Members don't see this ad.

Could you pinpoint why you've done poorly on your classes where you've received a B or lower?

So your cGPA will be about 3.3-3.4ish after this semester? You'll definitely want to bring it up to 3.5+ but you're only 3 semesters in. You are certainly not out of the running at this point. Evaluate what made you so much more successful this semester and build on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You grades aren't atrocious and you aren't failing. Obviously you need to bring up your GPA to be as competitive as possible, but looking at your third semester grades you seem to be on track for that. Just keep it up. Identify reasons why you may have done poorly in the past and fix them, and then start finding ways to improve.

Reactions: 1 user
Could you pinpoint why you've done poorly on your classes where you've received a B or lower?

There was a lot of family issues, I was involved in two accidents, and a lot of bad decisions, just added up to be incredibly stressful. I definitely was not giving it my all, which is even more upsetting to think about.

So your cGPA will be about 3.3-3.4ish after this semester? You'll definitely want to bring it up to 3.5+ but you're only 3 semesters in. You are certainly not out of the running at this point. Evaluate what made you so much more successful this semester and build on it.
I think a lot of it had to do with the workload also. I will be taking two biology courses and orgo next semester and Im not sure if that's a good idea but ill give it my best.

You grades aren't atrocious and you aren't failing. Obviously you need to bring up your GPA to be as competitive as possible, but looking at your third semester grades you seem to be on track for that. Just keep it up. Identify reasons why you may have done poorly in the past and fix them, and then start finding ways to improve.
I am worried about the C grade though. Usually people mess up in orgo or genetics and I'm stressed if it's too hard I'm not even going to have an option to mess up.

I am worried about the C grade though. Usually people mess up in orgo or genetics and I'm stressed if it's too hard I'm not even going to have an option to mess up.

Everyone's different. My worst semester was my very first, when I was taking the easiest classes. I went on to change my major into something more difficult and did far better in upper level classes.

You can't change the C you got (unless you apply DO, in which case you sort-of can), but you can identify weaknesses and improve on them. Once you've fixed your weaknesses, you find ways to improve from there as well. It might be an uphill battle, but you can always find ways to climb faster.

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone's different. My worst semester was my very first, when I was taking the easiest classes. I went on to change my major into something more difficult and did far better in upper level classes.

You can't change the C you got (unless you apply DO, in which case you sort-of can), but you can identify weaknesses and improve on them. Once you've fixed your weaknesses, you find ways to improve from there as well. It might be an uphill battle, but you can always find ways to climb faster.
This. Your workload will continue to get more and more demanding, but you find ways to keep getting more efficient. What worked for you while taking a lighter courseload will probably not be as effective when you take a heavier course load. And what worked for your heavy courseloads in college will almost certainly not work in medical school. Again, the key is to REFLECT on what works and what doesn't so you can keep getting better. I've found that I am continuously learning better ways to learn.

I will definitely keep that in mind, thank you for your help. Also, does it matter which undergrad school you come out of? I go to an ok school, it's private and Im planning on transferring out to a better one but i don't know if that's a bad decision.

dont be discouraged. its up to you. work hard, get in and do what you love

I will definitely keep that in mind, thank you for your help. Also, does it matter which undergrad school you come out of? I go to an ok school, it's private and Im planning on transferring out to a better one but i don't know if that's a bad decision.
With the exception of the very top tier schools, most aren't too concerned with where you went to school. And even if you transferred to what you think is a better school, what matters most will still be your grades, MCAT, EC's, etc. If you have solid reasons for transferring, then maybe it's a good idea but I'm not sure I would transfer just because you think it'll improve your med school chances.

With the exception of the very top tier schools, most aren't too concerned with where you went to school. And even if you transferred to what you think is a better school, what matters most will still be your grades, MCAT, EC's, etc. If you have solid reasons for transferring, then maybe it's a good idea but I'm not sure I would transfer just because you think it'll improve your med school chances.

if i transfer, the gpa that I transfer out with will probably be around a 3.4. I could probably get a 4.0 at the university I transfer. Do you think thatll look better to med school or worse?

I have a feeling my overall GPA is going to be too low even if I get a 4.0 every semester from here on, which I could do

I could probably get a 4.0 at the university I transfer.
What makes you think your GPA will be higher at another school?

Ultimately, medical schools just want to see you get the highest GPA you can. Doesn't have to be 4.0 overall, although of course that'd be great. The average GPA for people accepted to MD programs is about 3.7. The classes you've already taken at your current school will still be factored into your overall GPA even if you transfer. But I do think you're early enough in undergrad that you have time to improve and come out with a good GPA.

I am an undergrad and I had pretty bad first two semesters. Second semester was worse than the first. The third semester I would say was fine. I was just wondering if medical school is far fetched at this point? I had valid reasons to do bad in my second semester.
So in more detail:
first semester i has an overall gpa of 3.3; second semester overall gpa: 3.06; third semester (in process)
Don't get discouraged yet, you have lots of time to turn this around!!

If it will help encourage you - my first 2 semesters at college I ended up with a cGPA and an sGPA of 2.94 (yikes). I had good reasons but still, not good grades. I was able to turn it around and ask for help and really learn from the experience and the last two semesters I've gotten a 4.0. I applied to medical school this cycle and I've already gotten 2 acceptances (MD acceptances). The only thing stopping you from going to medical school is you - buckle down, work your butt off and knock the next couple of semesters out of the park and anything will be possible for you in the next few years. Good luck! PM if you want more specific advice :)

Don't get discouraged yet, you have lots of time to turn this around!!

If it will help encourage you - my first 2 semesters at college I ended up with a cGPA and an sGPA of 2.94 (yikes). I had good reasons but still, not good grades. I was able to turn it around and ask for help and really learn from the experience and the last two semesters I've gotten a 4.0. I applied to medical school this cycle and I've already gotten 2 acceptances (MD acceptances). The only thing stopping you from going to medical school is you - buckle down, work your butt off and knock the next couple of semesters out of the park and anything will be possible for you in the next few years. Good luck! PM if you want more specific advice :)

since I can't PM you,
I was just wondering what your overall GPA ended up being when you applied to medical school?
what was your mcat score and which medical schools did you apply to? What were you EC's and experience like?

you don't have to answer any of this. I am just worried and I need to know what medical schools look for

Someone I know graduated from a really good school with a 3.8 and close to a 40 on the MCAT and did not get in

since I can't PM you,
I was just wondering what your overall GPA ended up being when you applied to medical school?
what was your mcat score and which medical schools did you apply to? What were you EC's and experience like?

you don't have to answer any of this. I am just worried and I need to know what medical schools look for

Someone I know graduated from a really good school with a 3.8 and close to a 40 on the MCAT and did not get in
I brought my GPA above a 3.5 (as others above have suggested you do) and my MCAT was above a 30 but below a 35. What I've learned from this cycle is that schools care way more about ECs and who you are as a person than your stats. Yes your stats will be the first screen, but once they've decided that you would be academically successful at the school, they focus way more on your experiences (at least that's what it seems like, I'm not an ADCOM I don't actually know). I personally have very strong ECs and I have been complimented on my "well-roundedness" at some of my interviews. Also well-written and strong LORs can make or break an application. These are all things you have control over. Find activities you enjoy doing and things you're passionate about. Being passionate about something is way more important than doing something to check off a box. Just try and improve from here on out, but I wouldn't be discouraged by two semesters of college. You still have a chance so don't give up! Good luck!