Female medical student and feeling like I will be forever alone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The costs of freezing eggs is ~$20,000...small price to pay. I, too have considered it. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

The costs of freezing eggs is ~$20,000...small price to pay. I, too have considered it. ;)

It's so funny because I think it's almost becoming natural for female medical students to go through with this.

Damn, 20k though?

Members don't see this ad :)

I have also consider it.

I have thought abt finding a mutual guy that I could coparent with. I am not sure if marriage is in the future for me but, I hope and pray that it will be.

Idiot, she's going to be a doctor, she can buy her own stuff, why would she need some overly-confident man buying her stuff and telling her how to live her life. And BTW, she could easily become a suger-mama to some nice gorgeous man who maybe just earned a bachelor's degree treats her well and thinks the world of her. Women with professional degrees have it made, we can buy our own things and we can pick from the nicest, most handsome men without even having to care about he will support us financially.

Lol at your last sentence.

Wow! This thread went off the cliff fast! :laugh:

I think being single in med school is probably preferred. You don't have to worry about all the bs that relationships bring. However, it is always nice to have a hot, well endowed FWB. :naughty:

I'd like to date/marry a medical student (female physician). ;)

- smart
- likes science
- interesting job
- hopefully not into garbage media
- probably has a good heart and/or is a good person
- has similar work obligations (+/-)
- supplemental income
- is likely RATIONAL!!!
- is likely hard-working and not needy

Unfortunately, I will just be a boring teeth mechanic.

- smart
- likes science
- interesting job
- supplemental income
- is likely RATIONAL!!!

there's nothing boring about teeth!!! ><

Read only the first page...lol

I (male student) don't plan on dying alone.

There is no reason for you to wait until you are 40 and done with residency before you start looking for something serious.

And though its true that guys want younger chicks, its also true that its much easier for a girl to get a guy. How many girls do you know would jump at an opportunity to date an average guy? NOT MANY. How many guys do you know who HOVER around even the average looking girls, wiating for a shot? TOO MANY. Just look at your own facebook, I bet theres a handful of guys who respond to and "like" just about everything you put up there.

The problem sometimes is (from what i've seen with my female friends) is that some average looking girls have the idea that they can get a good looking, intelligent, sophisticated guy who is way out of their league, and they COMPLETELY miss the guys that are interested in them. Because hey, everyone wants what that hot sexy guy/girl they see on TV all the time. Can you think of a guy who is always eager to talk to you and somehow is always around you whenever you go somewhere, is always on your facebook? He probably wants you.

Maybe you're standards are set too high + you don't really have that many opportunities to meet new people = you likely will be single for a long time.

But who knows, maybe you will step outside of the hospital after a long shift and the man of your dreams will look at you and ask for your #. If I counted on a fantasy like that, I would have been sad and alone for the last 8 years.

You can't tell me there isn't one guy in your class you would consider dating. Instead of wasting your time ranting on the internet about how you are going to die alone, why not spend that time getting to know some guys? I find it HARD to believe that everyone in your school just wants to hit it and quit it with you. If so, please expose your school so future female students can avoid it.

Last edited:
Read only the first page...lol

I (male student) don't plan on dying alone.

There is no reason for you to wait until you are 40 and done with residency before you start looking for something serious.

And though its true that guys want younger chicks, its also true that its much easier for a girl to get a guy. How many girls do you know would jump at an opportunity to date an average guy? NOT MANY. How many guys do you know who HOVER around even the average looking girls, wiating for a shot? TOO MANY. Just look at your own facebook, I bet theres a handful of guys who respond to and "like" just about everything you put up there.

The problem sometimes is (from what i've seen with my female friends) is that some average looking girls have the idea that they can get a good looking, intelligent, sophisticated guy who is way out of their league, and they COMPLETELY miss the guys that are interested in them. Because hey, everyone wants what that hot sexy guy/girl they see on TV all the time. Can you think of a guy who is always eager to talk to you and somehow is always around you whenever you go somewhere, is always on your facebook? He probably wants you.

Maybe you're standards are set too high + you don't really have that many opportunities to meet new people = you likely will be single for a long time.

But who knows, maybe you will step outside of the hospital after a long shift and the man of your dreams will look at you and ask for your #. If I counted on a fantasy like that, I would have been sad and alone for the last 8 years.

You can't tell me there isn't one guy in your class you would consider dating. Instead of wasting your time ranting on the internet about how you are going to die alone, why not spend that time getting to know some guys? I find it HARD to believe that everyone in your school just wants to hit it and quit it with you. If so, please expose your school so future female students can avoid it.

What what what?! Girls lower their standards way too much. And plenty of guys look like they don't even make an effort at taking care of themselves. Sheesh, a little grooming please. Better shoes. It's hard even looking at most guys at my school, let alone dating them.

What what what?! Girls lower their standards way too much. And plenty of guys look like they don't even make an effort at taking care of themselves. Sheesh, a little grooming please. Better shoes. It's hard even looking at most guys at my school, let alone dating them.

I gotta agree with this in general, as far as looks go, women put up with far more slacking than men do

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

don't kid yourself. i've seen what women look like without makeup. a lot of hot girls become hideous the morning after.

Physicians have had the some of the highest rates of suicide measured over the last few years. Female physicians are particularly affected. Hmmm I wonder why

Inject some happiness into their lives. If they are hot for their age whats stopping you.

I know you think he's a douche but he's right. If varies how much but girls like you better when you treat them like ****. I've seen it and its also come from their mouths directly. They don't like nice guys. And for the record, basically 95% of women lack self-confidence. Why do you think girls tell each other they're beautiful all of the time?

And I'm sorry I'm going off topic but I'm going to say it any way. OP is a girl who is looking for guys to tell her how bad they feel for her and how they would date her. I've seen it done to guys a million times. 99% of you guys who are saying this and defending her is that guy who would be in the friend zone. When in reality, she is either looking for a hot guy or a rich guy to buy her stuff. Please, please, don't fall for it. And lastly, let me drop one more jewel and this is for girls and guys. Just realize when your chasing someone in the pursuit of love, be aware they are also chasing someone, who is chasing someone else.

And for the record, by some of your responses, I can tell who's a virgin or not.

Been cracking up as I've been perusing this thread. As a mature student (starting med school at 27) who is not a typical book worm nerd (as is perhaps the stereotype for a med student) but more of a jock with a keen interest in the sciences, I'd like to give my quick 2c on this debate.

Some of the dating advice being given out in this thread by blatantly inexperienced people is quite humorous. The whole concept of women wanting to be treated like crap is completely nonsensical. They don't. A desire for a confident, assertive, and masculine male often gets misinterpreted as women wanting to date an "dingus" simply because guys who are dinguses, also usually happen to be confident and assertive. Unfortunately a lot of the "nice guys" out there lack confidence, masculinity, and a backbone. They become a woman's personal servant and door mat and are promptly friend-zoned for future exploitation without ever being given a fighting chance.

Bottom line is that most women want to be treated with respect and want a man who is also worthy of their respect (not a push-over who puts them on a pedestal and caters to their every need, effectively labeling himself as inferior to the woman, which many women find hugely unattractive in a man). Do not misinterpret this as women wanting to be treated like sh|t, or not liking nice guys. There is a clear distinction between a nice guy and a spineless pu$$y, it just so happens that these attributes are correlated, but does not mean that the latter necessitates the former.

Summation:

- Just because most spineless pu$$ies are nice guys does not mean most nice guys are spineless pu$$y.
- Just because most dinguses are confident and assertive does not mean most confident and assertive men are dinguses.

Reactions: 3 users
And, I would just like to interject that guys who still don't get this concept should watch a Ryan Gosling film. Actually, we should ALL just go watch a Ryan Gosling film, now.

Been cracking up as I've been perusing this thread. As a mature student (starting med school at 27) who is not a typical book worm nerd (as is perhaps the stereotype for a med student) but more of a jock with a keen interest in the sciences, I'd like to give my quick 2c on this debate.

Some of the dating advice being given out in this thread by blatantly inexperienced people is quite humorous. The whole concept of women wanting to be treated like crap is completely nonsensical. They don't. A desire for a confident, assertive, and masculine male often gets misinterpreted as women wanting to date an "dingus" simply because guys who are dinguses, also usually happen to be confident and assertive. Unfortunately a lot of the "nice guys" out there lack confidence, masculinity, and a backbone. They become a woman's personal servant and door mat and are promptly friend-zoned for future exploitation without ever being given a fighting chance.

Bottom line is that most women want to be treated with respect and want a man who is also worthy of their respect (not a push-over who puts them on a pedestal and caters to their every need, effectively labeling himself as inferior to the woman, which many women find hugely unattractive in a man). Do not misinterpret this as women wanting to be treated like sh|t, or not liking nice guys. There is a clear distinction between a nice guy and a spineless pu$$y, it just so happens that these attributes are correlated, but does not mean that the latter necessitates the former.

Summation:

- Just because most spineless pu$$ies are nice guys does not mean most nice guys are spineless pu$$y.
- Just because most dinguses are confident and assertive does not mean most confident and assertive men are dinguses.

As an admittedly "blatantly inexperienced person," I'd just like to remark that you're not really correct. Women don't want to be treated like crap, true. But they also don't mind being treated like crap. That's indisputable because there are lots of women who are in relationships with men who do that and women are perfectly content to remain. It is for that reason that men perhaps then jump to the conclusion that they WANT that. Women also confuse confidence with "being an a-hole," especially when they're younger. How many women do you see with guys who act like a-holes to someone and they laugh and pretend to be shocked? That's almost everyone in college, for example.

As an admittedly "blatantly inexperienced person," I'd just like to remark that you're not really correct. Women don't want to be treated like crap, true. But they also don't mind being treated like crap. That's indisputable because there are lots of women who are in relationships with men who do that and women are perfectly content to remain. It is for that reason that men perhaps then jump to the conclusion that they WANT that. Women also confuse confidence with "being an a-hole," especially when they're younger. How many women do you see with guys who act like a-holes to someone and they laugh and pretend to be shocked? That's almost everyone in college, for example.

I disagree. The dynamics of abusive relationships are far more intricate than they might appear on the surface. Most victims in abusive relationships stick around not because they "dont mind" being treated like crap, but because of a multitude of other reasons such as having nowhere else to go, or out of fear and intimidation. Abusive partners can also often be very good at manipulating their spouse's emotions to keep wheeling them back in. While these characteristics might suggest low self-esteem, emotional weakness, and a propensity to letting yourself be taken advantage of, that is far different from actually wanting to be treated like crap.

Your example of 18-20 year old college kid behavior is hardly representative of women in general, more so of immature girls. Even in this case, most of them will like the guy because he is a confident and assertive male who just so happens to also be an dingus, not because he's an dingus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your analogy of "Many women stay with men who treat them like crap, and they therefore don't mind being treated like crap" lacks causality. Certainly many women remain in abusive relationships, but to think that the reason is that they lack self-respect is ridiculous, particularly in a society that has historically taught women that they should be the primary homemakers and allow their husbands to be the sole breadwinners. Even just in that particular dichotomy, the woman gains significant financial advantage by remaining tied to her spouse. In addition, as we explored previously in this thread, there is a huge stigma against divorce; People who initiate divorces, particularly women, are seen as failures and have significant social difficulty; integrating into society as a single person after a divorce can be hugely difficult.

There are myriad reasons for a person to remain married, even in an abusive relationship. Women don't generally desire to be treated like crap, but many ARE treated like crap. The problem is not the women; it's the people treating them like crap.

Idiot, she's going to be a doctor, she can buy her own stuff, why would she need some overly-confident man buying her stuff and telling her how to live her life. And BTW, she could easily become a suger-mama to some nice gorgeous man who maybe just earned a bachelor's degree treats her well and thinks the world of her. Women with professional degrees have it made, we can buy our own things and we can pick from the nicest, most handsome men without even having to care about he will support us financially.

are you aware how unattractive professional career women are? I hope you are a man, because if you are a female and are spewing out this filthy, I am sorry.

Protip: Guys could care less what you do or how much money you make. I would prefer you just go to the gym all the day rather than be a doctor. We care about looks only.

Women falsely assume that because they find a successful high status/paid man attractive, that we must do the same for women. Nothing is further from the truth.

All things equal, I would take the waitress over the female doctor any day. Much more pleasant to be around.

are you aware how unattractive professional career women are? I hope you are a man, because if you are a female and are spewing out this filthy, I am sorry.

Protip: Guys could care less what you do or how much money you make. I would prefer you just go to the gym all the day rather than be a doctor. We care about looks only.

Women falsely assume that because they find a successful high status/paid man attractive, that we must do the same for women. Nothing is further from the truth.

All things equal, I would take the waitress over the female doctor any day. Much more pleasant to be around.
That is exactly what I was saying. If a woman can support herself, she if free to choose a nice waiter and doesn't have to choose a doctor for the prestige or money since she can get that on her own and doesn't need a man for it anymore. I guess men feel the same way.

Last edited:

When you're 22, this is your mentality. This is not my mentality anymore bro. Eventually idiot women get tiresome.

That is exactly what I was saying. If a woman can support herself, she if free to choose a nice waiter and doesn't have to choose a doctor for the prestige or money since she can get that on her own and doesn't need a man for it anymore. I guess men feel the same way.

The number of women that are willing to date down is pretty low.

are you aware how unattractive professional career women are?

You are an idiot. But that's so apparent from your post I almost feel silly having to point it out.
1. Tons of guys are incredibly attracted to professional career women and turned off by the idea of making babies with a waitress. I know a slew of them.
2. You falsely assume that your hillbilly tastes represent men en masse. They don't.
3. If you find waitresses or blue collar females more pleasant to educated women as a rule, this is a personal issue telling quite a bit about your upbringing and mentality. You definitely should be with a waitress or grocery checkout clerk in that case.

You are an idiot. But that's so apparent from your post I almost feel silly having to point it out.
1. Tons of guys are incredibly attracted to professional career women and turned off by the idea of making babies with a waitress. I know a slew of them.
2. You falsely assume that your hillbilly tastes represent men en masse. They don't.
3. If you find waitresses or blue collar females more pleasant to educated women as a rule, this is a personal issue telling quite a bit about your upbringing and mentality. You definitely should be with a waitress or grocery checkout clerk in that case.

Lol. I saw his post and was waiting for an anasto- response. I'm pretty sure no one I've dated would pick a grocery store checkout clerk to settle down with. Maybe to date when they were like 18 or something. What would one conversate with a grocery store checkout clerk about, anyway? Assuming you did marry one? Weekly specials on produce?

Lol. I saw his post and was waiting for an anasto- response. I'm pretty sure no one I've dated would pick a grocery store checkout clerk to settle down with. Maybe to date when they were like 18 or something. What would one conversate with a grocery store checkout clerk about, anyway? Assuming you did marry one? Weekly specials on produce?

The problem with relationship advice is that it's always conflicting. People throw out rote lines that are meaningless. For example, I've told people that I'd never date someone who wasn't a professional, who had an education. Guess what? I get told that's "stuck up" and that you'll miss out on a lot of nice people by doing that. But here, it's the opposite. Don't get me wrong, this is my entire reason for not being interested in "blue collar" or uneducated women, but I've been told that's a horrible reason.

Your analogy of "Many women stay with men who treat them like crap, and they therefore don't mind being treated like crap" lacks causality. Certainly many women remain in abusive relationships

I'm not talking about abuse. I'm talking about relationships where the guy treats the woman like crap, like he won't pay her much attention, or she's of secondary importance, etc. Lots of women stay with guys like that when they could choose to continue looking, often just due to fear of having to continue looking. But don't tell me women don't stay with men who treat them like crap.

i'm guessing that you've never actually went out and tried to get a man as a professional woman. men don't want to be in a relationship where the woman makes the money, dominates intellectually and has all the power. younger men might not mind having a sugar mama to play around with but no guy looks for that kind of relationship long term. and women don't want to lower their standards until it's too late. so if you focus on your career and you find yourself to be alone in your mid 30s, don't be surprised when the guys are going for the younger, more beautiful women.

i'm guessing that you've never actually went out and tried to get a man as a professional woman. men don't want to be in a relationship where the woman makes the money, dominates intellectually and has all the power. younger men might not mind having a sugar mama to play around with but no guy looks for that kind of relationship long term. and women don't want to lower their standards until it's too late. so if you focus on your career and you find yourself to be alone in your mid 30s, don't be surprised when the guys are going for the younger, more beautiful women.

But, see, that's true if you're talking about a blue-collar guy. I find this fascinating because, for example, I can get where a carpenter would be uncomfortable marrying a doctor (although I'd personally feel like I hit the jackpot). But I haven't seen, for example, a Family Medicine guy say "no, I won't date the female Orthopod because I feel inadequate." He may not date the Orthopod because she's a b**ch, which is a totally different reason altogether, and then she'll mark it up as "he's scared of my money." See what I mean?

But, see, that's true if you're talking about a blue-collar guy. I find this fascinating because, for example, I can get where a carpenter would be uncomfortable marrying a doctor (although I'd personally feel like I hit the jackpot). But I haven't seen, for example, a Family Medicine guy say "no, I won't date the female Orthopod because I feel inadequate." He may not date the Orthopod because she's a b**ch, which is a totally different reason altogether, and then she'll mark it up as "he's scared of my money." See what I mean?

well doctors are more equal
for the carpenter, you might think that you hit the jackpot in the beginning if you're a guy that married up but who really wants to be a house husband?
the man is supposed to provide for the family
you will see the judgment in people's eyes when they learn that you're a carpenter and she's a doctor cause they'll be like "i wonder what she can possibly see in him"
maybe you'll tell yourself that it doesn't matter what other people think but it hurts

Just because someone works a humble profession doesn't mean they are stupid or poorly read.

for the carpenter, you might think that you hit the jackpot in the beginning if you're a guy that married up but who really wants to be a house husband?

I wouldn't be a "house husband" because I have no plans to stay at home. But if you're just asking about "marrying up" in general, my answer may be dissatisfying to you, but I wouldn't date a woman who made me feel awkward about it. I've met women -- and many are surgeons -- where you can tell that they're all about "I wear the pants and I'm in charge." That's unattractive. It's their attitude, more than their money. It's been said that a smart woman "let's the man think he's in charge." That would be the kind of woman I would date and marry. Women these days often don't get that, so they chalk it up to men being intimidated by them. No, men just don't feel like dating another man.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't be a "house husband" because I have no plans to stay at home. But if you're just asking about "marrying up" in general, my answer may be dissatisfying to you, but I wouldn't date a woman who made me feel awkward about it. I've met women -- and many are surgeons -- where you can tell that they're all about "I wear the pants and I'm in charge." That's unattractive. It's their attitude, more than their money. It's been said that a smart woman "let's the man think he's in charge." That would be the kind of woman I would date and marry. Women these days often don't get that, so they chalk it up to men being intimidated by them. No, men just don't feel like dating another man.

true
i've heard it put this way
people spend all day competing with other people in every way
the last thing you want to do is to go home and compete against your own wife

Eh, I've met doctors who were less interesting than grocery clerks. But I'm not gonna settle down with them either. There could be compatibility between a professional and a grocery clerk/waitress, but if you consistently notice that you just don't connect with educated members of the opposite gender like that whackjob I quoted, I think that's a big hint to self. y,

Personally I'm not sure why there's any insecurity at all. If a woman (or man) has an overbearing pushy personality, why would you date them anyway unless you're actually attracted to that sort of thing? I'm very alpha, but I want someone equally alpha - like the couple in House of Cards. I don't want some little monkey I'm kicking around. Very few women do.

Eh, I've met doctors who were less interesting than grocery clerks. But I'm not gonna settle down with them either. There could be compatibility between a professional and a grocery clerk/waitress, but if you consistently notice that you just don't connect with educated members of the opposite gender like that whackjob I quoted, I think that's a big hint to self. y,

Personally I'm not sure why there's any insecurity at all. If a woman (or man) has an overbearing pushy personality, why would you date them anyway unless you're actually attracted to that sort of thing? I'm very alpha, but I want someone equally alpha - like the couple in House of Cards. I don't want some little monkey I'm kicking around. Very few women do.

True. I'm not alpha at all, but I like an alpha-male. I'm glad I can financially support my future family if need be, but I also dont want to get stuck doing it because I'm with some deadbeat loser. On second thought, no deadbeat loser would make it past my parents (sometimes) overbearing scrutiny. As usual, I'm sure theres a cultural bias to what I'm saying.

- smart
- likes science
- interesting job

- supplemental income
- is likely RATIONAL!!!

I went ahead and bolded the obvious fallacies for you ;)

Not really.

Maybe if you become a rich orthopedist, then a certain type of girl will be all over you...but it has nothing to do with the MD and everything to do with your bank account.[/quote

Last edited:
I went ahead and bolded the obvious fallacies for you ;)

- smart
- likes science
- interesting job
- supplemental income
- is likely RATIONAL!!!

basically, you want to date a man

be nice
sounds like you are in denial OP. so yes you will be forever alone. i think that is what you really wanted someone to tell you
sounds like you are in denial OP. so yes you will be forever alone. i think that is what you really wanted someone to tell you

I'm not talking about abuse. I'm talking about relationships where the guy treats the woman like crap, like he won't pay her much attention, or she's of secondary importance, etc. Lots of women stay with guys like that when they could choose to continue looking, often just due to fear of having to continue looking. But don't tell me women don't stay with men who treat them like crap.

I'm going to requote my previous post so that you can understand that what you alleged I said is not what I said. To summarize, though, I want to point out that I didn't say that women DON'T stay with men who treat them like crap. I pointed out that factors other than the behavior contribute to their staying with them. To name a few: Expectation that a woman will raise children instead of working thus ruining her chance of having a job comparable to her husband's, stigma of divorce, and fear of abuse.

Once again, here's my previous post. Take a look!

Your analogy of "Many women stay with men who treat them like crap, and they therefore don't mind being treated like crap" lacks causality. Certainly many women remain in abusive relationships, but to think that the reason is that they lack self-respect is ridiculous, particularly in a society that has historically taught women that they should be the primary homemakers and allow their husbands to be the sole breadwinners. Even just in that particular dichotomy, the woman gains significant financial advantage by remaining tied to her spouse. In addition, as we explored previously in this thread, there is a huge stigma against divorce; People who initiate divorces, particularly women, are seen as failures and have significant social difficulty; integrating into society as a single person after a divorce can be hugely difficult.

There are myriad reasons for a person to remain married, even in an abusive relationship. Women don't generally desire to be treated like crap, but many ARE treated like crap. The problem is not the women; it's the people treating them like crap.

Looks like you were talking about abusive relationships to me.

Looks like you were talking about abusive relationships to me.

Abusive relationships were the extreme and serve the point of explaining why a woman might stay even in the WORST situation. Just being treated like crap is a less severe condition, meaning the incentive to leave is even less.

I disagree. The dynamics of abusive relationships are far more intricate than they might appear on the surface. Most victims in abusive relationships stick around not because they "dont mind" being treated like crap, but because of a multitude of other reasons such as having nowhere else to go, or out of fear and intimidation. Abusive partners can also often be very good at manipulating their spouse's emotions to keep wheeling them back in. While these characteristics might suggest low self-esteem, emotional weakness, and a propensity to letting yourself be taken advantage of, that is far different from actually wanting to be treated like crap.

Your example of 18-20 year old college kid behavior is hardly representative of women in general, more so of immature girls. Even in this case, most of them will like the guy because he is a confident and assertive male who just so happens to also be an dingus, not because he's an dingus.

Actually, this has more to do with conditioning than anything else. I suspect that's what you're getting at.

Anyway, The human condition is too complex to be discussed like this.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users