Finish Prereqs or do a Career Changer Post Bac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Jwa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
~

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a sophomore majoring in Public Health. This year I realized that I wanted to attend medical school. I've taken 1 semester of Biology and 1 semester of General Chemistry and I took a medical withdrawal from the 2nd semester of Gen Chemistry.

Right now, I have a major decision to make. I'm learning towards just taking humanities classes and where I would graduate with high ~3.7 then I will apply to career changer post bacs. Or should I try to retake General Chemistry and try to take the summers to finish my perquisites in time where I'm most likely will end up doing a Special Masters Program.

I'm leaning towards the career changer post bac since my school has no premed program at all. I don't have any guidance for applying to medical school and it has a drastically low medical school acceptance rate (~50%). All of the alumni I know who were pre-med are currently doing Special Masters Programs. So, I'm trying to figure out which pathway to take and I would love any and all advice!
I don't think it is necessarily bad that there is no premed program, many schools have no official pre-med major, you can major in anything and be fine as long as the prereqs are done. A pre-health advising service at your school is good to have but not having a pre-med major is not something to be alarmed over. Also, 50%...that's really good...I heard somewhere the average acceptance rate nationwide was in the 40's. I went to a really good undergraduate school and its acceptance rate to medical school was also in the 50's.
If you are majoring in public health chances are many classes you must take overlap with premed requirements and recommendations. Try to do the reqs and then 1-2 other recommended courses (upper level sciences)...I definitely think it's possible