Fired for Diversion, found innocent, who will consider hiring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Long story short:

Worked for a chain pharmacy, as an intern up until the point I received a Pharmacist job offer full time. Two months later, I was accused of diversion, fired, complaint sent to the BOP, went to court, and I was later found completely innocent. The BOP response was that there were no reasonable grounds to establish any violation. This was a 2 year process, 8 months being a graduate and I could not work in the field of pharmacy at all, nor take my exams, until recently. I worked for this company since P2 year, relatively light on references aside them.

So a few questions, any input is appreciated.

1. How do I explain this in an interview to an employer?
2. If they were to call the company I was fired from, do you think they would inform them I was fired for diversion, would this be allowed?
3. If you were interviewing me and I told you this, what type of questions would you ask, if any?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you sue the chain for damages and wrongful termination? That's the first thing I would've done if I was innocent.

Reactions: 15 users
Long story short:

Worked for a chain pharmacy, as an intern up until the point I received a Pharmacist job offer full time. Two months later, I was accused of diversion, fired, complaint sent to the BOP, went to court, and I was later found completely innocent. The BOP response was that there were no reasonable grounds to establish any violation. This was a 2 year process, 8 months being a graduate and I could not work in the field of pharmacy at all, nor take my exams, until recently. I worked for this company since P2 year, relatively light on references aside them.

2. If they were to call the company I was fired from, do you think they would inform them I was fired for diversion, would this be allowed?
3. If you were interviewing me and I told you this, what type of questions would you ask, if any?
Yo need to sue them.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Long story short:

TFW we get yet ANOTHER thread where someone asks for advice, yet leaves out the details people would need to actually give them useful advice:

tenor.gif

Reactions: 3 users
What Details are you looking for here?

I am just looking to move forward and work, I want to get into the field I went to school for 6 years for ideally, not go to more court.

I’d consider just hiring an attorney and suing them for wrongful termination and something to the effect of the damages incurred to your professional reputation left by the false accusation. That should land you a good sum of money assuming you hire a good lawyer.

Once you have your lawyer payed out after the settlement/money gets there, take whatever money you have left over, pay your student loans off and invest that remaining sum into a totally different industry.

The way I see it, you have a golden ticket out of pharmacy. Take it and run. We all know this field is tanking.

Reactions: 4 users
You've hit the jackpot my friend.

When it comes to a job, this isn't my forte, will this show up on a background check? If yes, might have to work for an independent. If no, you shouldn't have any reason for bringing it up.

Reactions: 1 user
You've hit the jackpot my friend.

When it comes to a job, this isn't my forte, will this show up on a background check? If yes, might have to work for an independent. If no, you shouldn't have any reason for bringing it up.

No it won't it's off all record. I mean I just have to account for time out of the field of pharmacy with the employer, assuming they would ask why I have not worked in pharmacy or any related field since 2/18.

Sure I could say sickness, time to care for family, or tell the truth..

No it won't it's off all record. I mean I just have to account for time out of the field of pharmacy with the employer, assuming they would ask why I have not worked in pharmacy or any related field since 2/18.

Sure I could say sickness, time to care for family, or tell the truth..
Are you gonna be working in the city?

If so- the old adage applies. Small world.

Rest assured that people have talked about it

Move a couple hours away and that won't be an issue.

Anyways OP, if after a interview or two, you don't get hired, you may want to just be honest about it.

Suburb/City area ideally. I am considering applying for entry level drug safety associate jobs, community college professor jobs, and actively checking out other industries I can work my way into; keeping in mind my short term goal is to pass my upcoming Boards. I am not dead-set on working for a pharmacy, or hospital etc.

My worry is yes, small world, it's been talked about. I was a new grad at the time this occurred, thus word of it spread through the university and I briefly explained the situation to the Dean of Pharmacy as she helping me complete my Board applications. She was confused about the fact that no video surveillance proved theft or diversion of any sort. It was due to me signing a paper presented to me after a discussion with loss prevention & my DM that I was dumb enough to sign with statements such as "you acknowledge a loss of Adderall 30mg #30 on Oct 12 during your shift at store 2212." This was a store being investigated for significant drug loss, and I was under the impression this was procedure, and signed knowing I did nothing wrong, but obviously I made quite a large mistake there. So everyone with the legal advice to sue, I have legal council and well aware of actions I can take, but that is not why I am posting here.

*To paint a timeline
-Intern grad offer by chain 10/16
-Termination post LP/DM meeting 1/17
-Pharmacy school Graduation 5/17
-Work for start up Pharmacy company (obtaining licenses, setting up facility, but never one med dispensed) until 2/18, where I could no longer provide service w/o a license
-Work as waiter/freelance writing current
-Board exams set for mid October.

My concern is future employer/interview:
-How to address the time out of work, keeping in mind my only non-APPE/volunteer intern experience is with the chain who filed the complaint.
-Can they can call the chain for reference as to reason for being fired if I list them strictly as previous experience & not a reference

Last edited:
I have nothing of value to add except that I find it strange that they pressured you, as an intern, to sign the acknowledgment. That looks more like something they would try to go after the pharmacist with instead.

In any event, good luck OP.

Reading this reminds me of some "advice" that might be helpful..........FIRST of all..when confronted with something like this...CLAM UP......UP....You DID have a mouthpiece thru this did you not?? There are former Rph types who switched to law and would salivate over this..Your malpractice insurance peeps can help with this..Another procedure that I have followed for a long time is to have a BOUND memo notebook with you at work to write down little notes like...."The store manager and the local MFWIC stopped in today and both noticed how backed up we were" "I asked for help"..."They agreed" or "tech Miss Mary Mack made three mistakes today which I corrected".....you get the idea (no patient names etc. HIPPA)..Time and date of course and maybe just the date part of a label..THAT alone produced in court will likely "settle things" It's too late for you BUT..see lawyer above...Good Luck....I have been hearing more...and have lately experienced even MANAGERS dipping into the narcs..Some of these chains are very poorly run by levels above.....They watch the balance sheet and hope for the best...

Yeah we really need details. Were you arrested facing criminal charges? if not, why not?
Is your license "marked" now? if so , then finding a job is near impossible.
If you are innocent, they destroyed your life = SUE !
if you are truly guilty, truck drivers are in demand.

Yeah we really need details. Were you arrested facing criminal charges? if not, why not?
Is your license "marked" now? if so , then finding a job is near impossible.
If you are innocent, they destroyed your life = SUE !
if you are truly guilty, truck drivers are in demand.

I voluntarily submitted to a warrant for arrest 2 weeks after my "interview" with Loss prevention. License is not marked. Arrest and all charges are dropped/expunged due to no evidence. Board allowed me to take my exams due to lack of evidence.

Look im aware of suit, I have a law firm taking care of that. I'm clear to work in pharmacy, and plan to. Just looking for advice on how an employer may perceive the whole thing/if it should be brought to light. I have nothing to hide, but being refused future job opportunity due to allegations is of concern.

I could just remove CVS from my resume, then it appears no pharmacy intern experience aside from IPPE/APPE.

I voluntarily submitted to a warrant for arrest 2 weeks after my "interview" with Loss prevention. License is not marked. Arrest and all charges are dropped/expunged due to no evidence. Board allowed me to take my exams due to lack of evidence.

Look im aware of suit, I have a law firm taking care of that. I'm clear to work in pharmacy, and plan to. Just looking for advice on how an employer may perceive the whole thing/if it should be brought to light. I have nothing to hide, but being refused future job opportunity due to allegations is of concern.

I could just remove CVS from my resume, then it appears no pharmacy intern experience aside from IPPE/APPE.
If this herd of mouthpieces took your case then they likely smell money.....Hopefully you hired one that has pharmacist experience....Sooo...ask them these questions ( I know..it's by the hour)....years ago I hired a **MOD EDIT** lawyer who took me for 3k and did nothing....so BE careful.....Ax your parents? A big shot pal? This will be a learning experience.....You are possibly being rescued from a hopeless "career"....good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: