First Failed Exam (Chemistry)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student2390

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a freshman majoring in biology hoping to go to med school or grad school. I just got an F on my second gen chem 1 exam, my first failed college exam. I got a C on the first one. My overall grade is a C because of the homework and there’s still 2 more exams left. I studied harder for this exam than the first and did way worse. I have all As up to this point, including in biology, statistics, and math, and have As in all my other classes currently. I feel like I studied as hard as I could, I started going to tutoring after I got my grade back, not sure how much it's going to help though. My GPA would still be pretty good even if I ended with a C, but do grad/med schools pay much attention to individual grades? Especially freshman classes? The withdrawal date is BEFORE the next exam, so unfortunately I can't wait to see how I do to decide if I want to drop. Should I withdraw or keep going? Study tips? Advice?

Another thing: I'm not sure if this professor drops an exam or not, but people on his rate my professors page say that he does, and my friends who have taken him before said that he did. So either he doesn't tell students he drops an exam, or he stopped doing it. Is it common for professors to drop an exam grade and not tell students about it? I'm definitely not going to ask him, he's not super nice and I don't want to draw attention to myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Not a single adcom will give a crap about an isolated C. And they'll be more understanding of some academic flubs now than when you're a senior and are expected to have the whole college thing figured out.

That said, it might be a good idea to withdraw now before you get to the point of no return. A W won't get factored into your AMCAS GPA, but a C will.

Is it common for professors to drop an exam grade and not tell students about it? I'm definitely not going to ask him, he's not super nice and I don't want to draw attention to myself.
No one here can know what's going through your professor's mind. I never had a professor drop an exam without telling us unless there were extenuating circumstances. If your professor hasn't said anything, you should operate under the assumption that all exams will count toward your grade.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you find that you can't feasibly pull a C or better, I would withdraw.

Being a science course it will hurt both GPAs (cGPA & sGPA), but seeing as you are only a Freshman you have GOBS of time to make up for this.

Withdrawing a repeating the course is only worth it if you can get a high B/A.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my worst grades so far was gen chem I, 3 credits isn't a huge deal - I guess just don't fail it? The only issue I have is difficulty learning some of the material for pretty much the first time for the MCAT.

If you're not sure about if an exam is dropped, it should definitely say on the syllabus. If not just go ask the dude.

Not sure if that last part was confusing. He hasn’t told us that he drops an exam and it doesn’t say so in the syllabus.

How many credits is it? If it’s 3 credits it won’t hurt much but any higher and it might be a problem. At my school it’s 5 credits because the lab is integrated with it.

How many credits is it? If it’s 3 credits it won’t hurt much but any higher and it might be a problem. At my school it’s 5 credits because the lab is integrated with it.
It’s 3 credits, the lab is separate.

If you think you'll for sure get at least a C then stick it through. If you there's a really solid chance you'll get a D or F then a withdraw might be better. Sometimes the lab is a co rec though and they might make you withdraw from both so make sure of that before withdrawing.

Something else that might be important: a 77% is a B- in this class, so a B- is still pretty realistic, considering of course if I do better on the next exams

Something else that might be important: a 77% is a B- in this class, so a B- is still pretty realistic, considering of course if I do better on the next exams

It sounds like it wouldn't be unreasonable to get a B or C. Considering you failed an exam and got a C on the other and you still have a C in the class it seems like as long as your homework is good you can pull off a C even if you got C and D on the last exam. Try calculating out what you need to average on the next exams to get a C and that'll help with making the decision. In the meantime keep going to tutoring sessions and any review sessions that might be held. Also if you don't think the tutoring is helping try finding a different tutor. Not everyone that got an A in the course makes a good tutor so don't waste your time if they're not helping. A tutor should get you to think and solve through the problems and understand the concepts with a little guidance. They shouldn't sit there and just give you answers or relecture to you since that probably won't help much(not saying that's what yours is doing but just look out for that).

I know it's likely a different circumstance, but at my school, the worst exam grades in Gen Chem I are from Exam 2. Mostly because Exam 2 involves stoichiometry and limiting reagent problems. Exam 3 focuses on Acids/Bases, and Exam 4/Final usually cover electron orbitals and bonding. In other words, you're likely to do better moving forward, and if you were at my school I'd recommend you keep pushing forward.

Is it common for professors to drop an exam grade and not tell students about it? I'm definitely not going to ask him, he's not super nice and I don't want to draw attention to myself.

Professors have usually taught these classes before and know what to expect grade-wise--which is why they should know whether they are going to drop an exam grade. The fact that the syllabus doesn't say so is worrying. However, I'm willing to bet your instructor is not as mean as you think he is. Remember these are just normal people, and this is their job. He probably loves chemistry and loves talking about it. You should visit him and discuss with him the specific topics you're having trouble with. Show him that you are also interested in the subject, just that you're having trouble with a few things. I can almost guarantee he'll be more sympathetic if you show interest towards his field. Then while you're there, make sure you ask about dropping an exam, as well as his opinion about whether you should withdraw or not. He will have some idea if exam 3 will be harder than 2, and the relative difficulty of the final as well.

Just a cautionary tale for your continued studies: I found gen chem 1 to be ok, but gen chem 2 was a completely different story. And I wasn't the only one who felt that way at my school. Gen chem 2 was so hard for me. I spent way more time on that class, like HOURS upon HOURS, than any of my others. It's something to keep in mind. I'm not saying that everyone will feel the same, but you might. Hopefully you're the opposite and you find gen chem 2 to be easier than gen chem 1.

Sounds like you have a good work ethic and just need some tuning on study methods.

Drop the class.

Learn from your mistakes, watch youtube videos and actually enjoy and learn the material. It will pay off later.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 28% on my 1st gen chem 2 exam, I failed even with the curve, and I still got a B.
Looks like Over half of your grade is still TBD so use this anxiety to do better from now on

@Student2390 Talk to the professor. One conversation produces a higher yield to this question than one hundred permutations. If he's mean then he hurts your feelings for the day, but it will save you days of agonizing over your future. Occam's razor fool.

How are you studying? (I’m a chemistry teacher, so I might be able to help you out.)

Just a cautionary tale for your continued studies: I found gen chem 1 to be ok, but gen chem 2 was a completely different story. And I wasn't the only one who felt that way at my school. Gen chem 2 was so hard for me. I spent way more time on that class, like HOURS upon HOURS, than any of my others. It's something to keep in mind. I'm not saying that everyone will feel the same, but you might. Hopefully you're the opposite and you find gen chem 2 to be easier than gen chem 1.

I had the exact opposite experience. Gen chem 2 is very math oriented. I found it much, much easier. Op has a good math background so might find gen chem 2 easier like I did.

OP, does your prof use the acs exam as your final? Mine did. I got Bs on every one of his exams but then completely destroyed the acs exam, and the way the tests were weighted, that landed me an A in the course. See how the exams and stuff are weighted, because you might be in better shape than you think.

How are you studying? (I’m a chemistry teacher, so I might be able to help you out.)
I’ve been studying by reading the textbook (chemistry: the central science), studying the PowerPoints, and doing the practice problems in the book and the ones the professor gives us.

I had the exact opposite experience. Gen chem 2 is very math oriented. I found it much, much easier. Op has a good math background so might find gen chem 2 easier like I did.

OP, does your prof use the acs exam as your final? Mine did. I got Bs on every one of his exams but then completely destroyed the acs exam, and the way the tests were weighted, that landed me an A in the course. See how the exams and stuff are weighted, because you might be in better shape than you think.
I’m fine with the math, that’s the easy part. The hard part for me is understanding what the numerical answer to the problem actually means. The professor writes the exams, he uses a lot of problems from the textbook and just changes a few things.

I’m fine with the math, that’s the easy part. The hard part for me is understanding what the numerical answer to the problem actually means. The professor writes the exams, he uses a lot of problems from the textbook and just changes a few things.

Ah, that's just concepts. There are tons of resources for conceptual questions.

I’ve been studying by reading the textbook (chemistry: the central science), studying the PowerPoints, and doing the practice problems in the book and the ones the professor gives us.
These are great study techniques! I suggest supplementing with videos from Kahn Academy. They combine concept with math very well. Also, focus more on practice problems and less on reading. How many hours a day do you dedicate to chemistry studying? (Be honest.)

These are great study techniques! I suggest supplementing with videos from Kahn Academy. They combine concept with math very well. Also, focus more on practice problems and less on reading. How many hours a day do you dedicate to chemistry studying? (Be honest.)
Haha, I thought so too, I guess the material just didn't stick. I'll definitely watch more online videos this time. I don't study chemistry every day, but about 1-2 weeks before the exam I start studying everyday for at least 3 hours a day, a lot more in the days right before the exam. That's what made it so frustrating though, I felt like I studied pretty well. I could have not studied at all and gotten the same grade.

Long story short, your chances for medical school aren't dead, but you have to start doing 10 times better.

Haha, I thought so too, I guess the material just didn't stick. I'll definitely watch more online videos this time. I don't study chemistry every day, but about 1-2 weeks before the exam I start studying everyday for at least 3 hours a day, a lot more in the days right before the exam. That's what made it so frustrating though, I felt like I studied pretty well. I could have not studied at all and gotten the same grade.
You’ll see much better results if you study 1 hr EVERY day regardless of when the test is. There is plenty of data showing that small frequent study sessions increase retainability vs longer sessions over a shorter period of time.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m a freshman majoring in biology hoping to go to med school or grad school. I just got an F on my second gen chem 1 exam, my first failed college exam. I got a C on the first one. My overall grade is a C because of the homework and there’s still 2 more exams left. I studied harder for this exam than the first and did way worse. I have all As up to this point, including in biology, statistics, and math, and have As in all my other classes currently. I feel like I studied as hard as I could, I started going to tutoring after I got my grade back, not sure how much it's going to help though. My GPA would still be pretty good even if I ended with a C, but do grad/med schools pay much attention to individual grades? Especially freshman classes? The withdrawal date is BEFORE the next exam, so unfortunately I can't wait to see how I do to decide if I want to drop. Should I withdraw or keep going? Study tips? Advice?

Another thing: I'm not sure if this professor drops an exam or not, but people on his rate my professors page say that he does, and my friends who have taken him before said that he did. So either he doesn't tell students he drops an exam, or he stopped doing it. Is it common for professors to drop an exam grade and not tell students about it? I'm definitely not going to ask him, he's not super nice and I don't want to draw attention to myself.

Try to get at the source of the low grade. Perhaps you didn't review/study the homework problems or think about how to solve them if they were modified? Did you seek to understand how concepts are related...for example how pH varies with temperature?

If you do need to drop a class after the official drop/W deadline, you can probably do so by filing a petition with the registrar and paying a small fee.

Admissions committees look at trends as trends in grades are more significant than a single grade. Of course, if you are truly worried about the grade, it would be fine to retake the course.

As far as the rate my professors webpage goes...I wouldn't put a lot of trust into it since not many students actually write comments on it.

Try to get at the source of the low grade. Perhaps you didn't review/study the homework problems or think about how to solve them if they were modified? Did you seek to understand how concepts are related...for example how pH varies with temperature?

If you do need to drop a class after the official drop/W deadline, you can probably do so by filing a petition with the registrar and paying a small fee.

Admissions committees look at trends as trends in grades are more significant than a single grade. Of course, if you are truly worried about the grade, it would be fine to retake the course.

As far as the rate my professors webpage goes...I wouldn't put a lot of trust into it since not many students actually write comments on it.

Thanks for the advice! This post was from a while ago. I ended up making an A on the next exam and getting a B in the class. I think I’ll do better in chem 2 since I’ve learned how to study for chemistry.

Reactions: 1 users