First Impressions (at your school)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hiwope

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was skimming through the thread about 'how happy are you at your dental school?'.

Can current/former dental students please give your input?? For everyone in their 2nd year on (or even 1st year), to what level has your school matched your first impression of your school (ie when you interviewed there)?

Specifically, how are the student-student interaction vs the faculty-student interaction vs student-admin interactions?? Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

I was skimming through the thread about 'how happy are you at your dental school?'.

Can current/former dental students please give your input?? For everyone in their 2nd year on (or even 1st year), to what level has your school matched your first impression of your school (ie when you interviewed there)?

Specifically, how are the student-student interaction vs the faculty-student interaction vs student-admin interactions?? Thank you!!

OK, well, my father and gfather were both dentists. Both very unhappy in their professions during the latter years (gfather in particular). I imagine part of this is due to burnout.

I was also told by both of them that they absolutely hated dental school and were treated like dog crap. They were both U of MN students. Apparently the U of MN and had two notoriously "difficult" deans during the 70's and the 40's. (father and gfather educational years).

I am a 3rd generation U of MN student and I must say that the education and the experience I am having at the U of MN is absolutely incredible! It's INCREDIBLY difficult and challenging yet the faculty makes every single day going in to school a joy.

To be honest...if things were any different...I would have a completely different perspective of dentistry. First impressions are the greatest and if you get into a program where it isn't a *FUN* and learning experience you may learn to hate dentistry forever.

I feel very fortunate in being able to choose among 4 different schools the best "fit" for me. I chose a school with higher tuition partly because of my wife's med school acceptances in the area, but mostly because I felt the best "fit" of the four that I was accepted to.

You'll hear over and over to go to the school that is cheapest, but I dismiss that outright. You can learn a lot about a school from an interview and paying 100K less or more at a school to give you a positive outlook about the profession you will be partaking in for the REST OF YOUR LIFE is worth it no matter how you slice it.

I'm excited about the profession...something I never expected to be. It's all due to my educational experience. Period!

Members don't see this ad :)
Specifically, how are the student-student interaction vs the faculty-student interaction vs student-admin interactions??

Aphistis hit the nail on the head.

It's odd, I just did a survey of my class that had about 8 questions concerning their initial impressions of the school and particular aspects of the school and their current impression of those same things after 1.5 years. I'm literally compiling the data right now and took a break to surf the internet. What I can tell you is there are a lot of differences from person to person, but it's mostly been positive. Mostly respondents came in with average or above average expectations and the school met them or exceeded them. Occassionally someone had super high expectations and the reality wasn't quite as great as they hoped for or a much rarer case is that there is a great deal of disappointment.

As for me, The students get along great, though there are some between class rivalries (usually friendly). Every class likes to think theirs is the best. The instructors are great, but there are always a few that people don't like (and it's never the same few from person to person). They treat us really well here and we're often pretty friendly and poke fun of each other with professors. As for admin, that's probably the best part of the school. I hear all the time that most students at some other schools get to see their admins very rarely, but at Pacific...they are everywhere. Pretty much weekly I see and talk to our dean, dean of academic affairs, executive dean, dean of clinics, etc. Most conversations are inocous, but sometimes I have a question or concern and they always listen and respond (either right then or a little later).

Specifically, how are the student-student interaction vs the faculty-student interaction vs student-admin interactions??

Aphistis hit the nail on the head.

It's odd, I just did a survey of my class that had about 8 questions concerning their initial impressions of the school and particular aspects of the school and their current impression of those same things after 1.5 years. I'm literally compiling the data right now and took a break to surf the internet. What I can tell you is there are a lot of differences from person to person, but it's mostly been positive. Mostly respondents came in with average or above average expectations and the school met them or exceeded them. Occassionally someone had super high expectations and the reality wasn't quite as great as they hoped for or a much rarer case is that there is a great deal of disappointment.

As for me, The students get along great, though there are some between class rivalries (usually friendly). Every class likes to think theirs is the best. The instructors are great, but there are always a few that people don't like (and it's never the same few from person to person). They treat us really well here and we're often pretty friendly and poke fun of each other with professors. As for admin, that's probably the best part of the school. I hear all the time that most students at some other schools get to see their admins very rarely, but at Pacific...they are everywhere. Pretty much weekly I see and talk to our dean, dean of academic affairs, executive dean, dean of clinics, etc. Most conversations are inocous, but sometimes I have a question or concern and they always listen and respond (either right then or a little later).

Ah, djeff, you are your stinkin' survey, will it never end!!!! :)

Lol, I need to be careful how I phrase my thread titles!

Bump, can we get more input from other schools??

There's a reason why those at Pacific see their deans on a regular basis....probability. When you're at school all day, you can't help but run into certain people more often.

I'm enjoying UCSF. The academics is very organized, and learning tends to be facilitated because of it. We also spend a good amount of time in the clinic practicing, and our hands are getting good. We're definately not an all-academics school.

I thought there would be a lot less:

(1.) students complaining/taddling to professors --behind backs and closed doors-- about other students being late for non-required lectures & activities

(2.) gunslinger dental faculty that go to great efforts on their personal vendettas stemming from a less-than-ideal first impression

(3.) that the most critical thing one can do as a student is (a.) recognize which profs have huge ego issues, and (b.) walk on eggshells to avoid being targeted by these geezer bullies. One hears a lot of, "when I was in dental school in 1966 we had to go uphill both ways! They discovered DNA 2 years later, & we had it so much more tough than you spoiled students now, bla...)

Learn this stuff, and you'll be fine ; )

gunslinger-promo1.jpg