First time flying, what to bring!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpaceHamsterBoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This Saturday will be my first time flying. I have NO idea on what to bring.
I know to bring my phone, my wallet, my gmail has my ticket and my hotel reservation.
What should I put my suit in??!!

Members don't see this ad.

A garment bag.

Also don't forget to bring sharp objects, guns, and liquids! They will not let you past security without these things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
A garment bag.

Also don't forget to bring sharp objects, guns, and liquids! They will not let you past security without these things!

and no samsung 7......for real, they won't let them on the plane

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This Saturday will be my first time flying. I have NO idea on what to bring.
I know to bring my phone, my wallet, my gmail has my ticket and my hotel reservation.
What should I put my suit in??!!

If you're actually serious I'll give ya a quick list. If you're checking a bag out all your toiletries in a bag and put them in there. There are lots of size regulations for them if you take them in your carry on so if you're not checking a bag I'd head on down to target or Walmart and buy things exclusively out of the 1-2$ travel size section. Also, Id bring a change of clothes in your carry on if you're checking a bag as airlines can loose luggage from time to time. As far as your suit goes, you're going to need to purchase a garment bag. Other than that, take a backpack with your laptop, head phones, and something to read and you should be all set! I also would suggest shoes you can slip on and off quickly when going through airport security. Hope this helps.

You can bring an empty reusable water bottle through security and there will be someplace on the other side to fill it. Staying hydrated is important and it could be an hour before the flight attendants offer refreshments and even then it is often just a 5 ounce cup.

Each of your toiletries should be 3 ounces or less and all stored in a one-quart size, clear plastic bag (ziploc).

Avoid wearing chunky metal jewelry, a massive belt buckle, or clothing with metal decorations. (seems obvious but I once saw a woman wearing an outfit that included massive chains and grommets).

You can bring an empty reusable water bottle through security and there will be someplace on the other side to fill it. Staying hydrated is important and it could be an hour before the flight attendants offer refreshments and even then it is often just a 5 ounce cup.

Each of your toiletries should be 3 ounces or less and all stored in a one-quart size, clear plastic bag (ziploc).

Avoid wearing chunky metal jewelry, a massive belt buckle, or clothing with metal decorations. (seems obvious but I once saw a woman wearing an outfit that included massive chains and grommets).
I don't want to risk losing my luggage...apparently that's a thing at airpoirts?!
Do aeroplanes have storage areas where you are sitting so I maybe keep my stuff under my seat?
What kind of luggage case should I get?

I don't want to risk losing my luggage...apparently that's a thing at airpoirts?!
Do aeroplanes have storage areas where you are sitting so I maybe keep my stuff under my seat?

I can't actually tell if you're serious or not...

You should really google some of these questions and the airline you're flying with will have a page of what their policies are. For example, Delta allowed the s7, but it had to be turned off.

Flights will let you bring a carry on luggage that is 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches, and you can bring a permitted item with you. I brought a backpack and a luggage and put the backpack at my feet.

I can't actually tell if you're serious or not...

You need to be more culturally aware and it is clear you will not add anything of diversity to your medical class. You have no cultural awareness and you should feel bad.

What makes you think I'm not being serious? Sorry not everyone is as privileged as you to have the luxury of travel by aeroplane. Sorry that I grew up in poverty and didn't travel to disney world or take yearly vacations by aeroplane.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
what can I use to carry my suit in without it getting wrinkled?

I had a suit cover and carefully folded it into my luggage. It didn't wrinkle and I wasn't afraid of it wrinkling because the hotel had an iron. I was going to shower with the suit in the room to let any wrinkles relax from the steam if it was bad enough. Don't worry so much about it.

I had a suit cover and carefully folded it into my luggage. It didn't wrinkle and I wasn't afraid of it wrinkling because the hotel had an iron. I was going to shower with the suit in the room to let any wrinkles relax from the steam if it was bad enough. Don't worry so much about it.

I'm a foreign born US citizen, I don't have a passport but have a social security and a driver's license. Is that okay?

I'm making a list of things to bring. how is this?
Suit Cover + Suit, Belt, 2 Shirts, 2 Ties, Belt, Shoes
A set of casual clothing
Toiletries, A print out of my application to review one last time
A few questions with bullet points to review one last time
a note pad and a pan to write down notes, names

I'm a foreign born US citizen, I don't have a passport but have a social security and a driver's license. Is that okay?

I'm making a list of things to bring. how is this?
Suit Cover + Suit, Belt, 2 Shirts, 2 Ties, Belt, Shoes
A set of casual clothing
Toiletries, A print out of my application to review one last time
A few questions with bullet points to review one last time
a note pad and a pan to write down notes, names

Unless your interview requires those documents, just bring your driver's license for identification. I don't have a passport either and don't plan to renew mine. Bring a bit of toothpaste and a toothbrush. Your hotel should have towels and shampoo. I would add cheap earplugs or a pair of headphones for the flight. The engine noise is loud and there might be a baby or something. I had wifi on my flight and it was totally worth the few bucks I paid for it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless your interview requires those documents, just bring your driver's license for identification. I don't have a passport either and don't plan to renew mine. Bring a bit of toothpaste and a toothbrush. Your hotel should have towels and shampoo. I would add cheap earplugs or a pair of headphones for the flight. The engine noise is loud and there might be a baby or something. I had wifi on my flight and it was totally worth the few bucks I paid for it.
laptop?

Last edited:
I can't believe you were accepted to medical school. You need to be more culturally aware and it is clear you will not add anything of diversity to your medical class. You have no cultural awareness and you should feel bad.

What makes you think I'm not being serious? Sorry not everyone is as privileged as you to have the luxury of travel by aeroplane. Sorry that I grew up in poverty and didn't travel to disney world or take yearly vacations by aeroplane.

You need to take a serious chill pill here. You took what I said and found the absolute worst meaning you could. I said that because you said aeroplane not because I'm in shock you've never been on an airplane. For the record I also gave you a list of things to bring so your welcome and thanks for attacking me for absolutely no reason

Reactions: 3 users
You need to take a serious chill pill here. You took what I said and found the absolute worst meaning you could. I said that because you said aeroplane not because I'm in shock you've never been on an airplane. For the record I also gave you a list of things to bring so your welcome and thanks for attacking me for absolutely no reason

yes, i said aeroplane. that's what I've always heard my parents say.
you need to check your privilege. What are you gonna do when patients tell you they can't afford their meds? Laugh at them?

you need to check your privilege. What are you gonna do when patients tell you they can't afford their meds? Laugh at them?

I'm sorry that I've some how offended you and hope your interview goes well.

Reactions: 3 users

Thank you I appreciate your apology. I'm sorry too. I thought you were insulting me because I had never flown before. I'm happy you were accepted. Let's be friends :)

Hamster in da house!

Thank you I appreciate your apology. I'm sorry too. I thought you were insulting me because I had never flown before. I'm happy you were accepted. Let's be friends :)

Haha maybe it was how I phrased my responses because that was never my intention to make fun of you!

Wow, I regret even taking your thread seriously now.

It's scary to think you might be someone's doctor.

...another option could be wearing your suit to save space!

You are allowed to carry a small suitcase and a personal item (purse or tote bag or smallish backpack). Check the website of the airline you are flying for details. There are overhead bins to store luggage and you may store the smaller piece under the seat in front of you. If the bins are full, the airline will check the bag for you at no charge. I've been flying at least once a year for 40 years and I've only once have a bag go missing and it was delivered to my destination within 24 hours.

Do not leave your luggage unattended EVER! It will be confiscated and it could be treated as a hazardous item. (Sad history here with unattended backpacks and the like.) It could also be stolen if you leave it even for a minute so don't take a chance.

I often travel with a backpack that holds my laptop and a couple changes of clothing, toiletries, a book and other paperwork and a knitting project. If you are in school or were in school recently, you may already have something like that. If I had a suit, I'd get a suitbag for it. You can find these at Target, Walmart and other retail stores.

Come on hamster you've got to stop with the personal attacks on here it's not necessary as you have no idea of the character of the person you're calling condescending or telling that they have no cultural competence. Take the good advice people have been giving you and ignore the stuff you find irritating because you're just going to continue to get upset if you take everything personally!

Reactions: 4 users

And the troll is back....

For those who actually are curious, YouTube has some great videos on how to fold a suit so that it fits in a carry on. I haven't had to take anything other than toiletries and a small carry on for all my flights. It really is a handy trick.

Reactions: 6 users
Have your phone charger nearby/in your carry on! Your ID is also important!
If you're carrying your interview clothes and toiletries in the same bag, make sure you triple bag the toiletries so they don't spill on to your clothes. I'd say take your suit in a garment bag as a carry on but if you decide to check it in, I'd still put it in a bag first. While travelling once, I opened my checked luggage to see that my clothes were damp with water stains all over...it was raining that day :rolleyes:

Good luck!!

Omg please tell me you are joking. Not with the never flying thing. Just this specific post.

I'm crying hamster

priviledge check on post #42, not everyone can afford to shop at walmart!

If you say "check your privilege" too many times it starts to lose its meaning. People may have been snarky, but nobody's actually made fun of you for not having been on a plane. And at least 50% of responses on the internet (any website) are going to be snarky. It's how the internet rolls.

Reactions: 5 users
If you say "check your privilege" too many times it starts to lose its meaning. People may have been snarky, but nobody's actually made fun of you for not having been on a plane. And at least 50% of responses on the internet (any website) are going to be snarky. It's how the internet rolls.

I'm pretty sure he's joking when he says check your privilege about shopping at Walmart.

The Hamster strikes back!

Use ziploc plastic bags to place all liquids, gels, mini shampoo, tooth brush, deodorants, mouthwash, and anything else in that general category....it makes it a lot easier to go through airport security and it's efficient for storing all that kind of stuff when you arrive at your hotel.

Wow, I regret even taking your thread seriously now.

Yes, precisely.

Bring your fedora

:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

I seriously don't know how he's still a part of these forums. A simple Google search answers this question. He just wants attention and makes dumb threads incessantly.

The Hamster strikes back!

Use ziploc plastic bags to place all liquids, gels, mini shampoo, tooth brush, deodorants, mouthwash, and anything else in that general category....it makes it a lot easier to go through airport security and it's efficient for storing all that kind of stuff when you arrive at your hotel.

To be clear... you are allowed to carry on just one clear plastic, 1-quart ziplock bag containing liquids and gels that must be in containers of no more than 3 ounce capacity. A 5 ounce toothpaste tube that is half full will not be allowed, you need to get 3 ounce containers.

If you are staying in a hotel, you might be provided with soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion so if you don't care too much about what brand you use, you can get away with not carrying that stuff. You will need toothbrush & floss (it need not go in the same bag with your liquids and gels). You might want a mouthwash, liquid hand sanitizer, hair gel, shaving cream, etc.

Little late to this thread, but I would make sure to bring a big ass smile, decent portions of confidence sprinkled with a bit of humbleness.