First week of Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Airborne29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of you who have just started or are starting medical school, please fill us "Prospective Pre-Meds" with what's first week like?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably should post this in medical students thread.

First week for us at CCOM is orientation. Very very boring.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if you ended up posting this in the med students forum, but I'll respond here.

I just finished my first full week at LMU-DCOM and I am in love. I'm in love with the building, the students, the faculty, the administration, and even more so, the view outside the building. The mountains are amazing. The locals even have their own charm :)

But really, in answer to your question about the first week of med school in general, I'm in love with that too. I am 100% overwhelmed by how much material we have already covered and by how I already spent 4 nights this week in the cadaver lab until way later than I really would have liked. But I wouldn't have it any other way. It's stressful but fun. They certainly don't go easy on you, but by default it is a little less stressful right now than it will be because the basic sciences start off more as a review (assuming you've had a good background in them) and for example, we had a big personality type workshop to help us learn how to work in groups better. That was definitely a happier way to end on Friday than more lectures/labs.

If you have any specific questions, let me know!

I don't know if you ended up posting this in the med students forum, but I'll respond here.

I just finished my first full week at LMU-DCOM and I am in love. I'm in love with the building, the students, the faculty, the administration, and even more so, the view outside the building. The mountains are amazing. The locals even have their own charm :)

But really, in answer to your question about the first week of med school in general, I'm in love with that too. I am 100% overwhelmed by how much material we have already covered and by how I already spent 4 nights this week in the cadaver lab until way later than I really would have liked. But I wouldn't have it any other way. It's stressful but fun. They certainly don't go easy on you, but by default it is a little less stressful right now than it will be because the basic sciences start off more as a review (assuming you've had a good background in them) and for example, we had a big personality type workshop to help us learn how to work in groups better. That was definitely a happier way to end on Friday than more lectures/labs.

Wow! Sounds like alot of fun. Your mind must be racing at a 100 mph right now. I'm sure a large portion of your stress probably due on becoming situated and finding your 'Chi" in medical school. Thanks for taking time to inform us "Pre-Medies" of your first week. Hopefully you'll continue to keep us updated on whats going on. Good luck and kick some butt!

i saw some photos of the school on theit web site and it is great view of mountains. Any will will fall in love with that beauty
thanks for posting. This is one of my top school choices

For those of you that completed your first or second week, would you say it is possible to take a weekend trip (Fri and Sat)? I had this planned before I even got accepted and shelled out a lot of money for this trip. Just wondering the course load after two weeks. If I cant make it then so be it.

For those of you that completed your first or second week, would you say it is possible to take a weekend trip (Fri and Sat)? I had this planned before I even got accepted and shelled out a lot of money for this trip. Just wondering the course load after two weeks. If I cant make it then so be it.
Just depends on your exam schedule. If you don't have an exam Mon - Wed of the following week I'd go on your trip.

I would think that it should be no problem for you to be able to still go on your trip. Just stay up on the work during the week so you can lighten the load on the weekend. The work load shouldn't be that heavy in the first week or so.

First week for us at CCOM is orientation. Very very boring.

the history talk was interesting and did not seem to be the full hour it was :)
on the other hand, the financial aid presentation seemed more l ike 2 hours :rolleyes:

and even i have to admit the trip to the art institute was more interesting than i had been anticipating

now for anatomy tomorrow :scared::scared::scared:

the history talk was interesting and did not seem to be the full hour it was :)
on the other hand, the financial aid presentation seemed more l ike 2 hours :rolleyes:

and even i have to admit the trip to the art institute was more interesting than i had been anticipating

now for anatomy tomorrow :scared::scared::scared:

I guess I should have realized that both CCOM and AZCOM orientations would be similar. We also went to an art institute! Histology is our first class tomorrow... I'm nervous. I'll write when the week is over to let you all interviewing know how it went. Good luck!

Thanks for starting a good thread! KCOM classes start in 2 weeks and I am quite nervous, but excited, for this new change. Good luck to all the class of 2014!

Members don't see this ad :)
For any of you guys applying this year, especially those interested in LMU, keep an eye on my live journal that I started. I haven't done that many posts yet, but I will do my best to keep it fairly updated!

http://grace-euphoria.livejournal.com/

The first week for me at LECOM-Erie wasn't bad at all. Day one was entirely orientation, and the afternoons of days two through five were also all orientation. The first "real" day of medical school wasn't until the second week and started with a short quiz on embryology and histology. Compared to the second week, the first week was a walk in the park. Compared to the third week, the second week was a walk in the park. I see a trend of it getting progressively harder, which I'm hoping will eventually taper off sometime around the time we take our anatomy shelf exam in October...

Thanks for starting a good thread! KCOM classes start in 2 weeks and I am quite nervous, but excited, for this new change. Good luck to all the class of 2014!

Your welcome Superman!

I'm very excited for all you folks starting class soon and wish you all:cool: the best of luck.

I can't wait to finish up so I can join you guys on the front lines of sleep deprivation and exam anxiety.

Hmm...I will say this, after the first week, I felt like I had been in school for a month already. I think it's possible despite the rough transition time you'll be going through, BUT I will say this. Just make sure you study insanely hard during those first two weeks. That said, get in the labs a lot to review and that will really help. I second what others said about making sure you don't have your first exam right after that weekend. Ours is three weeks in so it wouldn't affect me in that situation. I guess you can always take studying materials with you for down times too? Good luck!

Pretty neat journal!

I'm sure most readers here will look forward to your updates:thumbup:
Thanks! I'm hoping it will help people see more about DCOM since it's a little newer, as well as just satiate some of the pre-meds desires to know any and every little thing about the med school experience. I know I fed on them when I was waiting to start :)

Report from the front....We have our first anatomy exam in 3 weeks. Still no financial aid funds. Many hot girls in my class. Sports bras no shirts in OMM lab is mandatory. Morale is high.

We are winding down our first summer semester, and have our 4th Anatomy Exam & Practical tomorrow. Only 2 more weeks remaining! Im at MSU COM, and we started June 29th. Summer Semester 1 was just a 10 week Anatomy Course.

Report from the front....We have our first anatomy exam in 3 weeks. Still no financial aid funds. Many hot girls in my class. Sports bras no shirts in OMM lab is mandatory. Morale is high.

This is by far the funniest thing I've read on here in at least a month.

:eek:

This is by far the funniest thing I've read on here in at least a month.

haha thanks! So true...minus the loans issue. Like half my class hasnt received any financial aid yet. And we are being asked to spend over 1000 dollars on medical equipment alone for MONDAY. How is this going to happen? We do not know.

I have a question for you regarding LMU as I am considering going there. Do they have pretty nice places to live around the campus? Also is a laptop required? Did you take anatomy/physiology when you were an undergrad? If you did has it helped you any?

I have a question for you regarding LMU as I am considering going there. Do they have pretty nice places to live around the campus? Also is a laptop required? Did you take anatomy/physiology when you were an undergrad? If you did has it helped you any?

Ill let you wait for grace, but LMU is a beautiful place. Not the place for my girlfriend due to her career unfortunately so I didnt end up going...but shockingly beautiful. I love the outdoors and the place is surrounded by mountains....flying in I def. had a great view.

The med school campus is brand spakin new with all the new stuff available to you. Sim labs and the like. All the faculty members were really nice as well. Youll enjoy it if you go see it

LECOM-Seton Hill

1st week - orientation, with a few Embryo and Histo classes mixed... classes included some quizzes... Light reading = 260ish pages
2nd week - Embryo, Histo, Anatomy, OMM, OPP, PBL... again quizzes (some unannounced)... more reading
3rd week(this week) - Embryo & Histo Midterms, Anatomy quiz, OMM, OPP, PBL... even more reading
4th week (next week) - Embryo & Histo Finals, Anatomy practical & oral exam, OMM practical quiz, PBL, OPP... and I'm sure some unannounced quizzes

Basically... You don't start slow... It's a balancing act between all the different areas and LIFE... Best advice about this place - No one here is going to teach you... You will learn everything and figure everything out for yourself (or with study partners, that's what PBL is all about. I love it... some don't.

Just finishing up my 1st week at VCOM. I love it so far, although the orientation info is a bit repetitive. I'm loving the mountains and the country accents :D There's already a lot of info and our first anatomy exam is in less than two weeks :eek: Other than that I'm just glad to be here!

awesome thread! keep it goin!

I agree...maybe we should move this into the medical student forum...or possibly sticky it???

My contribution for today: Orientation is over, we got coffee mugs :)

Well at LECOM we technically had only one day of true orientation. From day two we started actual classes. By end of second week, we had already had a week of anatomy (which btw is ridiculous). In our third week, had two tests and four quizzes, and our final on monday for histo. I'll go on, but plainly put...we are in med school. Word of advice move early to where you are going to live, b/c their really isn't any settling time.

I agree...maybe we should move this into the medical student forum...or possibly sticky it???

My contribution for today: Orientation is over, we got coffee mugs :)

I really wanted to make this thread for us prospective D.O's like myself.

I'm down to have it made a sticky!:thumbup:

Just finished 1st week. Well, 2nd week if you count orientation... Wasn't too bad for the first week. It'll definitely pick up starting next week though. Our first biochem exam is also next week and ~1-3 exams every week until winter break from here on out. Good luck to everyone out there!

Last edited:
Just wrapping up the fist week at PNWU. It's been a great week, but the amount of material and assignments is daunting. We have block testing (this was not the case for last year's class) so, though we have many quizes each week our actual midterm exams will be every four weeks combined into one all day exam. There is a lot of pressure to retain a whole months amount of information and be expected to present it all in one shot.

Epidemiology is incredible! I can't too much about our other courses yet, but they're all pretty busy. Just trying to keep up.

The first few weeks at TCOM are all cell science. I've been loving med school so far; the information is interesting, and all I'm expected to do is study! Way better than having a job + undergrad.

As a bit of an aside, so far I wouldn't choose any other school given the chance. I'm in my third week (4th counting orientation), and I haven't found anything terribly objectionable about the school. There is always room for improvement, but overall I feel comfortable and welcome on campus. I even survived my first exam and was happy with my performance--especially happy that board review books for cell science coincide with what we've been learning (been using the pretest series as practice exams, and that seemed to work well for me). I'm even enjoying OMM. :)

1st week over at ccom

anatomy was the intro terms and embryo
histology was cell bio/structure stuffed into 2 lecture hours :eek:
omm was overview/history lecture and workship was getting used to anatomical landmarks
biochem is more evidence based medicine right now then biochem
the history of med class is interesting, the lecturer is very funny and engaging
and psychiatry has nothing so far yet to do with psych and more to do with relating to patients

overall, handable in terms of material so far. we have a biochem test monday and then an omm workshop quiz on wednesday.:scared:

let the fun begin !!!

but seriously, i am loving every second :love:

Just finished the first week of classes at AZCOM. They have an "extended" first quarter to help ease the transition by spreading the quarter out over an additional few weeks compared to the traditional ten weeks, which essentially means this first week was nothing but biochem and histology, then next week we'll add on anatomy, then the following couple of weeks we'll add on OMM and the other classes. It's been pretty good because it's allowed for some experimentation with new studying strategies that seem to be working decently and the faculty so far has been excellent in lecture and very receptive of questions.

Anyone from NYCOM care to share their first week???

Alrighty, so here is my spill on the first week of KCOM:

Wow, is medical school intense! We hit the ground running day 1 with Histology followed up with course expectations in other classes. But once you get into the course material, there is a ton of information just thrown at you. You absolutely have to be a good student and work with the material every night. I have already found that it is imperative to keep up because things move very fast.

Anatomy and Histo take up most of my time right now. The amount of material that we need to remember seems about 10 times more than undergrad. Biochem is pretty much review for me so far, so it is nice not to have to worry so much about it yet. The stress level will definitely go up when I really start studying for that. Our Complete DOctor course is my favorite so far. . .it is the class where we actually learn the skills to become a physician rather than just the science. OMM feels like it is going to be very fun to learn as well, so I am definitely excited to get more in depth with that.

Orientation was great (especially the Taste of Kirksville where I got to fill up on some good food that was free!), and I have met a lot of really awesome people. KCOM forces us to get to know one another by breaking us up into many small and different groups. Everyone is so friendly here in Kirksville too, but I already knew that. Even the 2nd years have welcomed us, instead of acting like they are so superior to us like high school and undergrad. Overall, there is a ton of work that we have already done after our first week, and by the end of classes yesterday, I was definitely mentally exhausted. But knowing that I'll be a physician in a little less than 4 years keeps me smiling, along with the already good times I have spent with some awesome fellow classmates.

Oh, the best part of med school. . . .everyone washes their hands after going to the bathroom! It is disgusting to see people at other places walk out without washing them. . . .

Oh, the best part of med school. . . .everyone washes their hands after going to the bathroom! It is disgusting to see people at other places walk out without washing them. . . .

Avoid the bathroom by the commons around noon. Someone likes to crap with the door open regularly.

Alrighty, so here is my spill on the first week of KCOM:

Wow, is medical school intense! We hit the ground running day 1 with Histology followed up with course expectations in other classes. But once you get into the course material, there is a ton of information just thrown at you. You absolutely have to be a good student and work with the material every night. I have already found that it is imperative to keep up because things move very fast.

Anatomy and Histo take up most of my time right now. The amount of material that we need to remember seems about 10 times more than undergrad. Biochem is pretty much review for me so far, so it is nice not to have to worry so much about it yet. The stress level will definitely go up when I really start studying for that. Our Complete DOctor course is my favorite so far. . .it is the class where we actually learn the skills to become a physician rather than just the science. OMM feels like it is going to be very fun to learn as well, so I am definitely excited to get more in depth with that.

Orientation was great (especially the Taste of Kirksville where I got to fill up on some good food that was free!), and I have met a lot of really awesome people. KCOM forces us to get to know one another by breaking us up into many small and different groups. Everyone is so friendly here in Kirksville too, but I already knew that. Even the 2nd years have welcomed us, instead of acting like they are so superior to us like high school and undergrad. Overall, there is a ton of work that we have already done after our first week, and by the end of classes yesterday, I was definitely mentally exhausted. But knowing that I'll be a physician in a little less than 4 years keeps me smiling, along with the already good times I have spent with some awesome fellow classmates.

It's been awesome (even though I'm still studying Embryo right now).

Avoid the bathroom by the commons around noon. Someone likes to crap with the door open regularly.

Wheww ... did not know this. Noted and thank you.

Sorry I just now saw this! Most of the housing available is actual houses that are rented. There are university apartments and a few sets of apartments that are primarily dominated by DCOM students (be it DO, PA, etc). I wouldn't say anything is over the top nice because the area is older as far as residential stuff goes, but I tend to like older homes with more charm. I hosted a cookout at my house before classes and everyone LOVES the house I'm in and it is definitely not perfect and new.

The school provides you with a laptop that you pay for in four installments over your time in med school. Some people don't like that idea, but I happened to love it. Brand new computer, same as everyone else's...sounds boring, but it helps because the tech dept knows how to fix these computers well and quickly. Plus, it's an awesome computer. It's a Lenovo thinkpad, so you can lay the screen down flat and write on it for note taking purposes. Other features are also really cool- touch screen and a few other things.

I had not had anatomy since high school so needless to say I am definitely rusty. Plus high school anatomy was a real joke compared to this. I am noticing a trend of people having had anatomy really doing well (just finished our first exam and practical) so I would say it definitely helps. However, even just having med term can get you through more easily because things are named so consistently for the most part that knowing your lingo basically tells you where you are in the body. It's doable with having had anatomy though.

Ill let you wait for grace, but LMU is a beautiful place. Not the place for my girlfriend due to her career unfortunately so I didnt end up going...but shockingly beautiful. I love the outdoors and the place is surrounded by mountains....flying in I def. had a great view.

The med school campus is brand spakin new with all the new stuff available to you. Sim labs and the like. All the faculty members were really nice as well. Youll enjoy it if you go see it
You are so right :) It's GORGEOUS here. Every day I drive around and my blood pressure lowers just taking in the scenery, seriously. Our school is on a hill so we walk out of the class and just see beauty. As for the facilities, they are awesome as well. I haven't yet gotten to play in the sim labs, but the study rooms are really nice technologically speaking- you can hook up one person's computer and project it onto the flat screen, which comes in handy for group study/projects. I also love the class polling system they use. You sign into a website poll service and answer questions anonymously to test your knowledge of the material- all the results post up on the screens and the prof has a better idea of where the class stands. I could go on forever, but really, just come see it for yourself!

Just got through my first week at KCOM. Orientation and white coat occurred last weekend, spent monday going through syllabi. Start hitting the material hard the next day. A lot to take in in the first week, definitely have to switch gears. I think the majority of students were in full study mode by Thursday. I think the key is to get a handle on things early and not get behind, it really does come at you fast.

So what did you guys and gals do the night prior to your first day at med school? Anyone party? Spent time with the family?

I still have a ways to go but knowing myself, I won't be able to fall asleep the night before I start:confused:

So what did you guys and gals do the night prior to your first day at med school? Anyone party? Spent time with the family?

I still have a ways to go but knowing myself, I won't be able to fall asleep the night before I start:confused:

I smoked a substance which may be legal in certain states....made a fire in my fire pit and stared up at the sky in my backyard being like wow this is surreal.

This past friday we had our first exams of m1. Not too bad....although not great I am sure. Didnt really focus on the diseases too much and got tested on like 5 of which I think I missed 4 of the questions. Oh well.

all i remember is making sure i had everything packed up right so i wouldn't have to think too hard in the morning. although i had already kinda gotten into the groove of things thanks to orientation. there was definitely fun stuff going on before orientation, and even some nights during orientation! my family was here for white coat, so spent some time with them. my boyfriend ended up leaving the morning of my first day of school, so it was nice to get to keep him for that long, but kinda sucked to have to wake up extra early to take him to the airport.

We just had our first batch of tests this past friday. My guess is that things continue to pick up and become more difficult, but in my opinion med school is very "doable".

I've sort of approached studying with the pancake-theory and job-theory in mind: 8a-6p or 7p is for work (I haven't started skipping classes yet, but you can bet your ass I will--some of these lectures really are a waste of time), and when I work I make sure it's real work--no dicking around on facebook, checking email constantly, changing my music every couple of songs, etc. Working diligently and efficiently for 2-4 hours at a time paid off dividends, and I dominated on friday. The key is to keep up with the material each day, but if you're treating it like a job that's exactly what happens.

Strategy so far:
10-15min preview of the next day's material in the morning
lecture (active note taking on laptop)
review of the day's lectures (a once-over if you will, before I leave class for the day)
at home: active studying until 6p-7p (flashcards, outlines, whatever)
and a good night's sleep 6.5-8hrs -- I really feel this boosts my learning ability a ton

Don't let some of the doomsayers in this forum scare you away--med school is no doubt difficult, but it's nothing you can't handle. Hell, trying to get into med school felt like more of a hassle than school.