Florida: Budget Crisis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StillDreaming

Tufts c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay, so i am still on the fence (yes i know time is running out) about what school to go to, and as i look over my pros and cons list i notice that the biggest thing that scares me about Florida is their current Budget issues. They are letting go / have retiring faculty, but the school is not replacing these positions. They have cut residency positions (about 7 i believe) and the patient load has decreased significantly in the past years. I fear that over the next 4 years, if i choose to move down there, my overall education may suffer, that i won't have the grat professors that have made Florida so well-known, that i won't see the cases and patients that will prepare me for a better internship and residency.

What are the opinions of current vet students at this school? Do you feel like you aren't seeing as much as you expected?

What about those that have already been accepted and are definitely attending? Why did you pick Florida over some of your other options (if you had them)? Was it just a money factor for those of you who are IS, or is there something about Florida that draws you?

I really want to want to go to Florida, it's just the whole budget thing that scares me. It's a great school, and once i get IS residency (which i hear is generally pretty easy), it is the most financially feasible option for me. But I don't want to miss out on a great internship or residency because I went to Florida and just wasn't prepared enough.

Thanks in advance... I think i just don't know enough about it, and would love to get more insight.

Members don't see this ad.