Florida schools - interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kleintje said:
Hi everyone. Inverviewed at UF today. I was very impressed with the school in all dimensions. The interviewers were very nice and really made me feel comfortable. No ethically questions or other tricky questions.

Good luck everyone.
That's great! Glad to hear it went well. I'm still waiting to hear from UF. I'm starting to worry a bit, but oh well. I hope it's still relatively early. Good luck everyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

Kiroro said:
Hey guys :)

I've got a question for those of you who has U of Miami COM as your top choice.
why....?

I mean I totally agree that UM COM is a good school but why won't you wanna go to USF or UF over UM. I mean all the med schools in Florida is not bad (except for FSU, which I don't really know cause it's brand new...), and they are all similer in rankings and students' levels etc... Why then some of you want to pay $10,000 more per year to attened UM? Is there anything about UM that's better than UF or USF? or it's just personal reasons?

Don't get me wrong... if I can get into UM, I'd be very happy. But if I had a choice among these three, I'd pick UF or USF over UM just because it's much cheaper tuition and living cost wise....

:confused:

I thought I replied to this post, but I guess not. So I'll go ahead and give my two cents.

USF, UF, and Miami are all great period. UMiami should not be thrown out of the pool just because of its private university status. As Q pointed out, scholarships are offered to excellent applicants and what not. They provide some very very good opportunities for clinical and research medicine and have quite a bit of research funds from NIH and NSF both.

Furthermore, their location in a big city with diverse populations puts them at an ability to get a very broad and diverse clinical experience. Their location near the tropics, also allows you to see some unique sort of cases you won't see in some other areas.

I would expand more, but I'll just say that if you look at Miami's program, you will see that it is a top notch program. Also, though all 4 Florida schools will give you an MD, take a look into the curriculum of each school, because they are all very different.

People will have different learning styles and what not, and so that's yet another component to take into account. Overall, I think you'll find a great education at either of the medical schools. So go to the ones that you feel is best fit for you.

So just out of curiosity, how would everyone rank the FL med schools for themselves personally? I know it's easiest if you see it first and can get a feel for it before you make any sort of judgment, but as of right now...how do you guys rank them for YOU?

Members don't see this ad :)
MrBurns10 said:
So just out of curiosity, how would everyone rank the FL med schools for themselves personally? I know it's easiest if you see it first and can get a feel for it before you make any sort of judgment, but as of right now...how do you guys rank them for YOU?

USF and Miami are tied. Depends on where I prefer to live more I guess and the curricula since the programs are both awesome and the people at both places are awesome.
FSU

UF, I'm unsure about where I'd put that school on the ranking of top choices. On one hand it is an awesome awesome school with a great reputation and great students. On the other hand, I'm not sure I like its location, and have heard some of the people in charge are not too friendly. Also, though I have heard good things, I didn't get a good impression from any of these forums due to the dean giving round about answers and the students at the other forum giving unclear answers. However, the last forum I went to, at my own school, had some great MS4's who were more helpful.

So I'm unsure, how I'd rank that school in the list.

I visited UF for an interview a little over a week ago, and I was highly impressed with just about everything. The students are extremely happy and say the professors go well out of their way to make sure you understand, the admissions staff and dean were great and it is clear they really believe in what they're selling, and from the numbers we were given UF students last year had the highest USMLE step 1 average in the country (234 if I remember correctly, which if calculated would be somewhere in the low 90th percentile). They definitely sold me.

As for USF, I'll reserve judgment until after my interview on 9/26.

greendot said:
I visited UF for an interview a little over a week ago, and I was highly impressed with just about everything. The students are extremely happy and say the professors go well out of their way to make sure you understand, the admissions staff and dean were great and it is clear they really believe in what they're selling, and from the numbers we were given UF students last year had the highest USMLE step 1 average in the country (234 if I remember correctly, which if calculated would be somewhere in the low 90th percentile). They definitely sold me.

As for USF, I'll reserve judgment until after my interview on 9/26.

See this is why I am sooooooo unsure about what I think about UF. Its definitely a top school with a top notch reputation. However, I don't know how I'd place it in the list of Florida schools.

greendot said:
from the numbers we were given UF students last year had the highest USMLE step 1 average in the country (234 if I remember correctly, which if calculated would be somewhere in the low 90th percentile).

Obviously Numbers dont mean everything then....Because all of the Florida schools do comparable on the Match.

1SwtWrld said:
Obviously Numbers dont mean everything then....Because all of the Florida schools do comparable on the Match.

Good point.

Kleintje said:
Hi everyone. Inverviewed at UF today. I was very impressed with the school in all dimensions. The interviewers were very nice and really made me feel comfortable. No ethically questions or other tricky questions.

Good luck everyone.

Yes, UF was very impressive. I was really blown away by their ability to place six students in NSurg and 234. Plus some of the interviewees were cute!

Anyone interviewing at UF on 9/30 or 10/7?

those of you who interviewed at miami already (i think baby4u), how was it? my interview is coming up and i'm nervous. also, what is the percentage they accept this early on?

can someone help me with how they answered "tell me about yourself" and "why do you want to be a doctor?" i definitely have my own answers to these questions. i'm just trying to figure out how best to say it. thanks.

medgirl? said:
those of you who interviewed at miami already (i think baby4u), how was it? my interview is coming up and i'm nervous. also, what is the percentage they accept this early on?

can someone help me with how they answered "tell me about yourself" and "why do you want to be a doctor?" i definitely have my own answers to these questions. i'm just trying to figure out how best to say it. thanks.

If you'll tell me what you're trying to say, I'd be willing to help you phrase it. You can PM it to me if you like.

medgirl? said:

I post some comments on the MIAMI INTERVIEW threat. pm if you want more info. i will post a new threat about one question that i did not know how to answer. i did not get any of the questions that you are worried about. they were much harder, i think, that that.
they will let you know by oct 15, that was what we were told is going to happen to us.
good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
At the risk of sounding like an anal, stressed pre-med (I mean I am...but I don't want you all to know that), I have a question about UF: I had read that several of you guys got interview requests pretty soon after you submitted your secondaries. I was complete on 8/23 and haven't heard anything yet...is that bad? Haha, man, I've sounded so ridiculous throughout this whole process but it has been stressing me out some, so I thought I'd just ask. Thanks for your help. Good luck with interviews, everyone!

p.s. Anyone else feel like their blood pressure has raised about 20 points since this process began?

MrBurns10 said:
At the risk of sounding like an anal, stressed pre-med (I mean I am...but I don't want you all to know that), I have a question about UF: I had read that several of you guys got interview requests pretty soon after you submitted your secondaries. I was complete on 8/23 and haven't heard anything yet...is that bad? Haha, man, I've sounded so ridiculous throughout this whole process but it has been stressing me out some, so I thought I'd just ask. Thanks for your help. Good luck with interviews, everyone!

p.s. Anyone else feel like their blood pressure has raised about 20 points since this process began?

My BP went 100 ppoint up, while i have this fever......and I am so sick!!!And, don't know what to do.......

MrBurns10 said:

I was complete 8/1, called for interview on 9/12. Hang in there.

southpaux said:
Anyone interviewing at UF on 9/30 or 10/7?

I'm interviewing on Oct. 7th.

Kiroro said:
I'm interviewing on Oct. 7th.

Me too... although I might have to change it. How flexible do you think they would be?

I'm out of state and have been complete with UF for quite some time now. I think it was early August when I was complete... anyway, no interview. I'm practically a FL resident... born there - lived there until I was 23 (26 now). Anyway, I was curious if any of you were from another state besides FL with an interview at either UF or USF.

JTHURMA said:
I'm out of state and have been complete with UF for quite some time now. I think it was early August when I was complete... anyway, no interview. I'm practically a FL resident... born there - lived there until I was 23 (26 now). Anyway, I was curious if any of you were from another state besides FL with an interview at either UF or USF.

I'm considered out of state like you and I also lived in FL until I was 23 (also now 26) and I got an interview invite last week. Not sure about you but I did my undergrad at UF. You? Might be the difference because I know some schools have a separate pile for those. I was only complete there at the beginning of September.

unfrozencaveman said:
Me too... although I might have to change it. How flexible do you think they would be?

When Robin called, she asked me about my scedule on 10/7. So I think they do care about your sedule and accomodate you with the interview date. I'm sure you won't have problem getting her to change your date.

Ya, I called back and rescheduled my date. I dont think its a problem at all...we have stuff to do to, not just them, and they know that.

I did my undergrad at FAMU... doing grad at Clemson.

I'm trying to be patient, but I've had everything complete for quite a while. Even my peer letters was written by an MS4 there, who told me when she turned it in, the secretary told her it was the first one she had seen thus far. I've gotten other interviews, but I really want the UF one so I can possibly come back to FL. Who knows?

drgoodlove said:
I'm considered out of state like you and I also lived in FL until I was 23 (also now 26) and I got an interview invite last week. Not sure about you but I did my undergrad at UF. You? Might be the difference because I know some schools have a separate pile for those. I was only complete there at the beginning of September.

So who will be with me on Friday at UMiami???

JTHURMA said:
I did my undergrad at FAMU... doing grad at Clemson.

I'm trying to be patient, but I've had everything complete for quite a while. Even my peer letters was written by an MS4 there, who told me when she turned it in, the secretary told her it was the first one she had seen thus far. I've gotten other interviews, but I really want the UF one so I can possibly come back to FL. Who knows?

I'd like to interview at UF so I can have the chance to stay where I am. I actually had an Associate Professor (he's a physician) at UF write my peer letter since I took a health policy course with him (we were both students). I was hoping this would help me out but thus far I'm still interviewless at UF.

On a side note, I interviewed at FSU last Friday. I was very impressed with the school. I found their approach to medical education and evidence-based intergration to be innovative.

FSU interview

Anyone else get an FSU interview, the lady just called me now and scheduled it for 9/30. Anyone else going there at that date??

busthwt said:
FSU interview

Anyone else get an FSU interview, the lady just called me now and scheduled it for 9/30. Anyone else going there at that date??

Nope, but I was there on 9/16. You'll like it - it's very laid back and conversational.

Yea, I am going to be in Miami on 9/23.

Definitely, PM me your name if you want. Its great, mrBurns and rtCad... two people so far from SDN lol.

Good luck to all!

for anyone who has interviewed at miami or who otherwise knows:

2 interviews, or 1?

thanks,

T

busthwt said:
FSU interview

Ya, I got the call today...I will be there on the 30th... :D

Does anyone's USF status page NOT say "...web application is complete but has not yet to be processed." ?????

Can someone please provide me with the link to USF's status page?

BigMAC said:
Can someone please provide me with the link to USF's status page?

Just log in to the secondary page and click on where it says "Com 2006-2007 Academic Year." But the status isn't necessarily accurate. When you are complete, USF will send you an email telling you that your file is complete. If you've already received that email, then they are still considering your app. Mr. Larkin will call you when the committee decides to interview you. Good luck. :luck:

Kleintje said:
Does anyone's USF status page NOT say "...web application is complete but has not yet to be processed." ?????

Yes, I think everyone's does. That's why I said before that the status page is not accurate. If they've emailed you, you're complete, no matter what your status page says. If they haven't emailed you and it's been a while, you might want to call them to find out what they're still missing.

QofQuimica said:
Yes, I think everyone's does. That's why I said before that the status page is not accurate. If they've emailed you, you're complete, no matter what your status page says. If they haven't emailed you and it's been a while, you might want to call them to find out what they're still missing.

Thanks for the help...i thought I remembered someone saying they were updating it and it would be working a few weeks ago so I thought maybe my application was complete but no decision had been made and that was why it said that.

Kleintje said:
Thanks for the help...i thought I remembered someone saying they were updating it and it would be working a few weeks ago so I thought maybe my application was complete but no decision had been made and that was why it said that.

Still under construction on the USF status web section. We'll send you an email when you are complete. Some of it was fixed, but not all so it's not totally reliable right now, I'm still recovering the process since our computer op left. Send an email to [email protected] if you want to know the status of completion of your file.

REL said:
Still under construction on the USF status web section. We'll send you an email when you are complete. Some of it was fixed, but not all so it's not totally reliable right now, I'm still recovering the process since our computer op left. Send an email to [email protected] if you want to know the status of completion of your file.

Thanks! :D

Kleintje said:

Nope. I received the "complete" email from USF back in July, and my status page still says the same thing as yours does. ;)

Does anybody know what days of the week Miami conducts interviews? Thanks.

Has anyone who became complete at UF in early September been given an interview?

BigMAC said:
Has anyone who became complete at UF in early September been given an interview?

Yes. A week and a half or so from complete to interview invite.

drgoodlove said:
Yes. A week and a half or so from complete to interview invite.

If you don't mind me asking, how are you stats? You can PM me if you want.

anyone, seriously?

Tigerstang said:
for anyone who has interviewed at miami or who otherwise knows:

2 interviews, or 1?

thanks,

T

Tigerstang said:
anyone, seriously?
Miami gives one interview that lasts about an hour. I just interviewed there today...had a VERY positive experience. Stupid UF still hasn't gotten back to me even though I was complete 8/23, and I was worried about that because my stats are fine for them and I figured they'd be my first choice Florida med school, but after interviewing at Miami today I'm sold that if it came down to the two I'd almost definitely go the Miami route. Although I haven't visited UF or USF yet (I'll be at USF in a couple weeks), the clinical training at Miami is fantastic and you get experiences you would be hard-pressed to find in Gainesville. I'd still like to hear from them obviously, but I'm not nearly as worried about it as I was before.

I'll post feedback in the interview thread, but if anyone has any questions or wants me to post more feedback here I'd be happy to.

MrBurns10 said:
Miami gives one interview that lasts about an hour. I just interviewed there today...had a VERY positive experience. Stupid UF still hasn't gotten back to me even though I was complete 8/23, and I was worried about that because my stats are fine for them and I figured they'd be my first choice Florida med school, but after interviewing at Miami today I'm sold that if it came down to the two I'd almost definitely go the Miami route. Although I haven't visited UF or USF yet (I'll be at USF in a couple weeks), the clinical training at Miami is fantastic and you get experiences you would be hard-pressed to find in Gainesville. I'd still like to hear from them obviously, but I'm not nearly as worried about it as I was before.

I'll post feedback in the interview thread, but if anyone has any questions or wants me to post more feedback here I'd be happy to.

I have friends at Miami School of Medicine, that just started this year, and I have tons of friends at USF as well. The clinicals at both of those schools impress me the most out of any of the Florida schools because of various reasons.

In Miami's case, the presentations I've seen on the school have won me over pretty well because its location amongst one of the biggest cities in Florida, with a very very very diverse population make it a great cultural hub with various different kinds of patient bodies. I also was impressed with what Dr. Hinkley told us about the different research centers, etc, and the match lists that I saw a few months ago here on SDN. Also, its location being soooooo close to the tropics allow for you to see different sort of cases that you may not see more inland.

USF seems to have a solid clinical program as well. With USF, (and REL can comment on this as well), but..........

With USF, the clinical program is quite awesome because rather then having one primary hospital, they truly get you rolling around the entire community. You have 2 VA hospitals which will give you mostly an elderly patient base with some current active duty patients as well. Then you have the only Shriner's Hospital in Florida, which is solely pediatric orthopedic doctors and burn victims specialists, though this branch mostly deals with the orthopedic division, unlike other Shriners Hospitals across the nation. You also have All Children's Hospital out in St. Pete, which is a hospital with almost all the typical departments like cardiology, neuro etc, but solely focused towards children's care. This hospital actually has a patch adams feel to it, because all the walls are painted with different cartoon characters, looney tune and disney characters, etc. They even have play rooms designated for the children to interact in, so they don't feel lonely. Shriners is the same way but much smaller and specialized in its patient basis.

Then you also have Bayfront Care Center with is a trauma level one hospital in St. Pete as well. Oh and on a side note, the VA's are in two very different areas of town. One of the VA hospitals is attached to the medical school by a cross bridge connecting the main medical school building to the hospital. The other is a whiles away in a different area of town giving a different population basis and demographics.

But coming back to Tampa, we also have Tampa General Hospital, in downtown Tampa, along with clinics such as Genesis Pediatric clinic and 17 davis(another pediatric clinic). From my understanding students have also interacted with St. Judio Christian Clinic which is a clinic for underprivledged minorities etc.

Oh and on the USF campus there is the newly renovated and expanded USF Medical Clinic, their ear nose and throat clinic, and last but not least Moffitt Cancer Center.

So as you can see, USF has a very very very varied population basis to work with, allowing you to get used to different types of patient demographics rather then seeing only the rarest of cases.

Yeah, I have no doubt I'll be impressed by USF when I visit. We've got some great schools here in the best state of the nation :)

Status
Not open for further replies.