For those who interviewed at NYU College of Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baker2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
What was your interview experience like there?
I have been reading a lot from previous years of mixed reviews depending on who interviewed them.
Some say its real laid back and to just know the general questions, while others have had experiences of the interviewer trying to make the applicant feel uncomfortable and or psychoanalyze them.

Is this still the way it is?

Thanks ppl.

Members don't see this ad.

Irrespective of what happens... go in there prepared to say what you want to say but most importantly be yourself.

If they are out to get you then you probably don't want to spend 4 years there anyway. ;)

Thanks Joaky, but that didn't really answer my question. I am trying to get an idea of this years interviewee's experiences.

Any input from people who did interview there this year would be awesome!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Baker2010,

When I interviewed, it was very laid back and conversational. They give each interviewer that list of 14 questions (on sdn feedback), but it is up to them individually as to how they use it.

My interviewer asked me only two questions from the sheet, and then we just naturally fell into conversation from there. Very chill as you can imagine.

Each person there had a slightly different experience, but I would have a general idea of how to answer the questions on SDN feedback (which is overkill) but it never hurts to always have something to say.

Hope this helps.

I interviewed last year - there was only one interview that lasted 45 min-60 then you toured the entire place over 9 floors so wear comfortable shoes. Personally they didn't seem engaged, but they want to get students at that school to fill their 200+ student quota.

Hi Baker2010,

When I interviewed, it was very laid back and conversational. They give each interviewer that list of 14 questions (on sdn feedback), but it is up to them individually as to how they use it.

My interviewer asked me only two questions from the sheet, and then we just naturally fell into conversation from there. Very chill as you can imagine.

Each person there had a slightly different experience, but I would have a general idea of how to answer the questions on SDN feedback (which is overkill) but it never hurts to always have something to say.

Hope this helps.

Awesome,
thats very good to hear. Thanks!

I interviewed earlier this week and it wasn't a very formal interview. Most of the time my interviewer was just reading through my final and occasionally asking about different things, "So you did _____, what did you learn from that?" or something like that. Also, the customary "Why dentistry question?" Overall, very laid back, very nice guy. The trickiest question was at the very end when he asked "After you leave I have to write a recommendation on your behalf to the adcom, so what is the one last thought you want to leave in my head as I do that?" I had to think about that for a second.

Private message me for my opinion. I don't want to push people one way or the other on a forum.

did any body get any interviews for advanced placement dds program.

I know this thread in a few months old, but I thought I'd comment on my experience, just for the sake of anyone who might still want fresh opinions.

Just got out (around 12:45pm), lunch was free but I'd almost suggest going out for even pizza or a hole-in-the-wall instead, cause there's really nothing unique about the cafeteria at NYU.

The interview seemed to be "first come" basis, but a few people got taken in out of order. The interviewers were also seemingly random, I got this asian guy who was kind of quiet, I had to work a bit to keep things flowing. He was looking through my app as he asked questions. Overall it was fairly relaxed, though I had a tough time knowing how he felt, the questions were all very standard. I was also the only applicant he interviewed, as he left for a lab/clinic class right after me.

Dr. Mejia was very good, she answered all our questions and was friendly and open, got a great vibe from her. The student guide was okay, he did seem happy with his decision on NYU, though the tour was somewhat lacking in overall information about each clinic. It also felt like there was way way too many students and people in general, a really busy feel, not sure how I feel about that now. Dr Mejia also told us we were considered in the first group still (Dec 1st), and that we'd be told in writing by next week if we were in or not.

The group of 10 of us (I think it was 10), were all pretty comfortable with each other, I had one girl even describe Bereno from here as the guy with the smoking monkey. Anyway, easy interview overall. Best of luck to anyone who still has to go.

My interview experience at NYU was terrible. But for some reason I still want to go there...

I didn't have that great of an interview either. It's really luck of the draw I guess for interviewers, and that's nothing you can prepare for. My guy was really annoying and kept questioning everything I said. He was also focusing a lot on my grades and trying to make me feel like I was a bad student and not up to par (when in fact my stats are right in line with or even above NYU's accepted students). In the end I got in on Dec 1st, so I guess that's just the way he does it and I still passed his little psychological tests.
Also, as far as the tour goes, they kept talking about the millions of dollars they've poured into renovating the whole school. Is it just me, or did any one else fail to see the "amazing facilities?" Sure, the aesthetic dentistry and research areas were beautiful and the reception areas for some floors looked pretty, but that seemed about it. A lot of other places felt kinda old and dingy to me, like the hallways and the clinics on the upper floors (peds and endo I think). Was I missing something? In the end shiny new operatives and equiptment won't make me a better dentist, it's the clinical experience and education that will. I'm just curious what others thought.

wow, I totally forgot about this thread lol.
I ended up getting into NYU also.
For anyone still waiting to have their interviews there.
I think the interview experience there is dependent upon who you get for your interviewer. I remember some people there saying it was smooth and others saying it was weird.
Personally,I felt that my interviewer initially was cold and it was up to me to keep the conversation going.
After about 8 mins, he was trying to conclude the interview but I brought something he found interesting and got it to extend for another 20mins which is where he then began to open up and we had a good conversation. At that time, I got to get the points about myself that I wanted to.

Although, I am going to turn down the acceptance because I didn't feel neither great or bad about the school whereas other schools have moved me much more.
Good luck!

My interview experience at NYU was terrible. But for some reason I still want to go there...

Don't judge a book by it's front cover?

If you're interested in attending NYU maybe you should visit again and talk to more people who go there?

I didn't have that great of an interview either. It's really luck of the draw I guess for interviewers, and that's nothing you can prepare for. My guy was really annoying and kept questioning everything I said. He was also focusing a lot on my grades and trying to make me feel like I was a bad student and not up to par (when in fact my stats are right in line with or even above NYU's accepted students). In the end I got in on Dec 1st, so I guess that's just the way he does it and I still passed his little psychological tests.
Also, as far as the tour goes, they kept talking about the millions of dollars they've poured into renovating the whole school. Is it just me, or did any one else fail to see the "amazing facilities?" Sure, the aesthetic dentistry and research areas were beautiful and the reception areas for some floors looked pretty, but that seemed about it. A lot of other places felt kinda old and dingy to me, like the hallways and the clinics on the upper floors (peds and endo I think). Was I missing something? In the end shiny new operatives and equiptment won't make me a better dentist, it's the clinical experience and education that will. I'm just curious what others thought.

:thumbup: Wow, this may be the post I agree most with after being on SDN for a year. Impeccable description of the school.