Foreign Veterinary Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi I'm planning to take the CPE exam in September, I live in California please contact me if you would like to study together. :)

Hi! Im taking CPE this year and also live in California, lets get in touch! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone! :)

Is there anyone out there from CA bay area who is interested to prepare for ECFVG program together ? to the CPE step particularly?

Or does anyone have an advice how to prepare better for the CPE especially when it comes to work with large animals?

Hi Vinera, I live in San Diego and I am starting to get ready for the CPE, lets get in touch!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know a farm animal veterinarian in California to practice with before the CPE?
I have my exam in December but I cannot find a large animal vet that can train me...

Thanks,

Eden

Hi Eden, I also live in California and taking the CPE this year... how did you get ready? Do you mind if I email you? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone is preparing for the CPE at Baton Rouge, Louisiana? My CPE is in April, 2014 at Mississippi State University. It would be really nice to prepare it together!

Email me: [email protected]

Im also taking the CPE at MS state this 2014, do you mind if I email you? Thanks!

Hello everyone! I just started a thread just for information about CPE. Is you have taken it please post your feedback. If you are preparing for it, please share with us what are you doing to get ready. Also, input on the location would be very much appreciated. Thank you foreign vets! :)

here is the link to the thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...r-cpe-only-no-toefl-no-bsce-no-navle.1049568/

Thanks!
Karla

please tell me if anyone is having problems with the ZUKU format, when I zoom, it changes and can not read it propertly.

CPE
Hey guys I'm just giving some feed back. I took my CPE last month in Las Vegas. Luckily I passed all sections but there were many that didn't as far as I can tell. There were a lot of candidates dismissed from surgery so they knew already they didn't make it. I guess it depends who you get as an examiner and how precise you are. The most important thing is not to break the asepsis. That was most people's mistake.
Small animals was pretty intimidating. Some examiners are nice but others are very intimidating. Do not try to read their minds. If you think he/she isn't pleased with your answer just keep on going, don't question yourself, you were probably right just lost your confidence due to a certain look from the examiner.
I'm a small animal vet but found this section the most difficult. Also a big problem is running out of time in some sections, in others I had time left.
Necropsy: I did not practice for that. After a long search I found a few videos but nothing good. I still made it. Time!! It runs out fast!
Radiology: Piece of cake. Super nice examiner. But that was just my experience.
Equine and food animals: For the most part nice and not too intimidating. My favorite day at the CPE and I don't do large animals. I could not find a vet who would take me with him so I only studied from books, study material from other vets from their vet school, and lots of videos about techniques.
I think if you can do hands on stuff to prepare that's great but if not that doesn't mean you can't make it. Everybody should have some experience from vet school anyway. So it's not you never milked a cow or did a lameness exam on a horse. Just get it back in your head.
Las Vegas is very convenient location-wise. They will give you a special rate for a specific hotel where almost all the candidates stay. The hotel picks you up and brings you back to the airport. There is a shuttle every morning and evening btw hotel and testing center which is in walking distance. And you get food and beverages all day long except for dinner.
Good luck! It's doable! But definitely also the most nerve wrecking experience.

Reactions: 5 users
Hello !
I have registered for CPE in Canada, but just found out that there is no more room for this year, and I can either register for next year or try in US sooner.
I have been accepted for VSTEP as well, so if any of you have completed the course what would be the recommendation regarding taking CPE (time , and location).
Thanks in advance !

So, for all of you that are preparing to take the BCSE...

I just got my results back and I passed. Although I felt very uncomfortable after the test, what I did was enough, apparently.

1. Zuku review for the BCSE. Started in November 2013, took the test on February 15 2014 while holding a full time job. 2-3 hours of studying EVERY DAY, NO EXCUSES. Study mode for the first month, then test mode. I was getting an average of 80-85% per test when I stopped studying because I knew most of the questions.

2. NAVLE review videos and taking notes (a 2 hour video turns into a 4 hours study session if you actually take notes). Find them on youtube under the user VeteLib

3. ALL zuku review notes (sounds like advertising, I know).

I finished vet school in Oct. 2011 but was always getting good grades, so that might have paid off. I though zuku was definitely not enough, but the outline was good and it helped me find out what I needed to focus on. I think it is a good thing if you graduated "recently" because although some questions were just plain weird (Red leg disease in frogs, for example), you kind of remember what you learned in class and try to apply as best as you can.

Make sure you study with clinical cases and situations, not just memorizing things about a disease. You will have to analyze a lot of things during the test. Radiology is HUGE, UPenn has great radiology website which you can google.

So it is possible to pass it without studying from a book, just keep in mind, this worked for me but may not work for someone else. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone comment on admission to residency programs in veterinary medicine for foreign graduates without license. if someone has got into any program plz advice on it. i'm planning to get into the residency program and clear navle.

Hi everyone,
I am a foreign trained vet and I want to sit BSCE. Could anyone plz tell me what books are more helpful?my email address is [email protected]. any help would be really appreciated!!

Dear future veterinarians
I went through the BCSE, NAVLE and CPE, couple of years ago, worked few places. If you need any help and guidance or practical experience feel free to contact me. I am trying to set up a place where foreign veterinarian can come study, discuss and succeed in becoming properly trained veterinarians. I went through difficult times in not able to access to even have basic information, any sort of study material forget about practical exposure. Passing these exams is half the story, you need to have practical exposure of dealing with clients, diagnosis process, and running diagnostic tests, taking radiographs, interpretation, placing catheters, performing dental exams, to be able to meet the requirements of not only passing the exams but be able to step in to job market. I live in San Diego county, CA. Good luck to you. My contact e-mail : [email protected]

Hi All,
Iam done with BCSE and looking forward for December NAVLE,any group formed yet or any serious aspirants plz let me know......my email id [email protected]

Hello everybody!
I just got my NAVLE results and I passed. I am so happy.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys,

Sorry if its slightly off topic, but I have to ask :)
I have been studying for the NAVLE and I plan the CPE poss next year. Everything is pretty much clear re these exams. I have been reading the comments here and couldn't help notice that many of you are already in the US, working there. I am an EU citizen currently working and living in the UK. It would be a huge help for me if I could stay (and work of course as funds are not unlimited) in the US, so any tips or ideas re visa? How did you manage to get there (what visa did yu apply for etc)?
Maybe its quite obvious just I don't get it... :)
Thanks for your help and good luck for everyone!

Cheeers :)

Hi guys,

I have been studying for the NAVLE and I plan the CPE poss next year. Everything is pretty much clear re these exams. I have been reading the comments here and couldn't help notice that many of you are already in the US, working there. I am an EU citizen currently working and living in the UK. It would be a huge help for me if I could stay (and work of course as funds are not unlimited) in the US, so any tips or ideas re visa? How did you manage to get there (what visa did yu apply for etc)?

Dear UKvet79, for many of us, nothing is clear :) Everyone has his own story about getting here and going through all this to become a vet and there is no a straight forward way to do so. Being a native English speaker and going through the UK vet school is going to be a HUGE advantage for you, so this should not be too painful for you as it is for the rest of the crew :) The most of us are not even EU citizens, and yes, visa is a big problem. There are different ways people come here, as you probably know : Green card lottery, Work and travel student programs, Postgraduate programs, Family based green card, Work (if you find a good Samaritan or you are some expert :)) and many other ways that I probably do not know about :) I don't think it is obvious, I wish it was :) Good luck to you and keep a good spirit, we will probably see you here soon ;)
Hi guys,

Hi Beovet,

Thank you for your reply :) I am Hungarian and qualified in Budapest, Hungary 10 years ago. I did not want to hurt or annoy anyone with my question :) What I meant that you have to work hard, study many things all over again (I haven't seen or touched a horse or a cattle since graduation :) ) for the exams, I think its pretty clear. My big fear is how to find a job and get visa in the US after one passed all the exams, but that is really off topic. But thanks anyway :)

Hi guys,

hi i wanted to ask you about job in uk..i also im Eu citizen and maybe there is slightly possibility to move to uk my husband may get the contract job there..im also living in usa and getting ready to BCSE i want to recognize my diploma here...there is possibility that i can contact you by email?or you can contact me [email protected] are you british?

hi anybody getting prepared for bcse in georgia i live close to atlanta...

CPE
Hey guys I'm just giving some feed back. I took my CPE last month in Las Vegas. Luckily I passed all sections but there were many that didn't as far as I can tell. There were a lot of candidates dismissed from surgery so they knew already they didn't make it. I guess it depends who you get as an examiner and how precise you are. The most important thing is not to break the asepsis. That was most people's mistake.
Small animals was pretty intimidating. Some examiners are nice but others are very intimidating. Do not try to read their minds. If you think he/she isn't pleased with your answer just keep on going, don't question yourself, you were probably right just lost your confidence due to a certain look from the examiner.
I'm a small animal vet but found this section the most difficult. Also a big problem is running out of time in some sections, in others I had time left.
Necropsy: I did not practice for that. After a long search I found a few videos but nothing good. I still made it. Time!! It runs out fast!
Radiology: Piece of cake. Super nice examiner. But that was just my experience.
Equine and food animals: For the most part nice and not too intimidating. My favorite day at the CPE and I don't do large animals. I could not find a vet who would take me with him so I only studied from books, study material from other vets from their vet school, and lots of videos about techniques.
I think if you can do hands on stuff to prepare that's great but if not that doesn't mean you can't make it. Everybody should have some experience from vet school anyway. So it's not you never milked a cow or did a lameness exam on a horse. Just get it back in your head.
Las Vegas is very convenient location-wise. They will give you a special rate for a specific hotel where almost all the candidates stay. The hotel picks you up and brings you back to the airport. There is a shuttle every morning and evening btw hotel and testing center which is in walking distance. And you get food and beverages all day long except for dinner.
Good luck! It's doable! But definitely also the most nerve wrecking experience.
hi, i am planning to take CPE and have cleared both the written tests...how much preparation is good for CPE? how can i contact you directly?

Hi,
I started preparing for CPE next year. Is anybody living in Washington DC area or MD?

Hi Everyone
I am going to take NAVLE exam on December. I live in Salt Lake City . I was wondering if anybody interested in exchanging study materials or group study it would be so helpful .
I am going to enroll for Vetprep , just I don't know which one is more valuable for study. ZUKU or Vetprep?
Your opinions will help a lot ,
Thanks

Hi Everyone
I am going to take NAVLE exam on December. I live in Salt Lake City . I was wondering if anybody interested in exchanging study materials or group study it would be so helpful .
I am going to enroll for Vetprep , just I don't know which one is more valuable for study. ZUKU or Vetprep?
Your opinions will help a lot ,
Thanks
Hi,
please leave me your email id,u can reach me at [email protected]

am still on the BCSE stage... trying to set up a study group via skype... however, this may sound silly, but why don't we start one thry facebook? inbox messenger is practical and can also share some documents...
lets start

mine is armando pelayo

am still on the BCSE stage... trying to set up a study group via skype... however, this may sound silly, but why don't we start one thry facebook? inbox messenger is practical and can also share some documents...
lets start

mine is armando pelayo

Last edited:
Hi Armando, I found the BCSE the EASIEST test I have probably ever taken, of course you have to get prepared.I don't know what you have used to study, all I did was ZUKU: two hours daily for two months and followed strictly the recommendations that Dr. Zuku gives and I passed the first try!!, also I passed the NAVLE the first try but studying a little bit more... That course (Zuku) definitely worked on me :)
Hi,
Congratulations on passing BCSE andNAVLE.What did you use for NAVLE?Is that the same ZUKU?Thank you in advance.

While I study for CPE, I suddenly came up with this question. Dose anybody know any veterinarians who successfully received ECFVG certificate and finally got a job as veterinarians and possibly got work-visa or greencard through it? I'm curious. This question might sound a little strange but I'm pretty sure this is actually one of the most wondered questions. If anybody knows or hears anything about this, please leave a msg here. Thanks

While I study for CPE, I suddenly came up with this question. Dose anybody know any veterinarians who successfully received ECFVG certificate and finally got a job as veterinarians and possibly got work-visa or greencard through it? I'm curious. This question might sound a little strange but I'm pretty sure this is actually one of the most wondered questions. If anybody knows or hears anything about this, please leave a msg here. Thanks
good question but least asked/wondered. 2-3 yrs ago it was possible to get work visa, but now apparently there are many US grads and non-us grads who are US permanent residents. Obviously they get priority and who likes to go through the hassle of H-1b or its lottery system, something to think about. The ECFVG process itself is getting major makeover every year, but for better graduates to enter the US market. Although personally I went through H-1b and green card through work, it is becoming extremely difficult to find a sponsor. If you have a sponsor you are in luck, that too make sure that they do not take advantage of your situation and drive through really hard work until you get your green card. And then it also depends on country of origin with regards to retrogression with permanent resident applications. Not to discourage, believe me or not getting through the ECFVG certification is less than half the battle to settledown. Every month we see many applications from US grads or non-us grads in work place, although no openings are posted, before 2013 did not see at all. Make us wonder if there are more grads walking out each year then there are openings. Just wanted to prepare you for what is going to come, reality bites, good luck.

I found interesting post on lawyers web site: Someone asking for help on legal representation for CPE. google parts of it to find original post at justanswer dot com.
What do you think?
"
Hi Lucy, My name isXXXXX great to hear the details and the nuances of my issue. I live in Dallas,TX and the board I want to sue for breach of contract is ECFVG. Its in Schaumburg,IL. I would like to know if you offer consulting service or if you could represent such a case even though you may be in some other state. I am providing details of what happened. I can prove my passing on test as I have made detailed observations on the record. They are not giving me access to my records. Please peruse the details and let me know how I could approach this case or even for a possible representation from you. Thank You

I will go over the brief details of exam and timeline of events so I can present a clearer picture of my claims.

There are several steps to be cleared for practicing Veterinary medicine in USA for a foreigner.

Degree evaluation - I got clearance that it is equivalent to DVM and need to pass clinical Proficiency Exam (CPE here after) to practice.

English proficiency: I passed this

NAVLE ( North American Veterinary Licensing Exam) : I passed this in April 2012.

CPE: There are 7 tests in this part. All practical exams to be taken while being evaluated by University teaching doctors or veteran /Emeritus professionals.

The 7 tests are : Anesthesia, Surgery, Equine Medicine, Small animal Medicine,Large animal medicine, Necropsy, and Radiology.

Rules for clearing CPE: All 7 tests have to be taken at a University or Western Veterinary Conference in Las Vegas. If all 7 tests are cleared in one shot, one can practice. If not, at least 4 tests have to cleared to get 2 chances on the remaining 3 tests. If the remaining 3 tests are not cleared in the 2 chances, everything resets and one has to start all over again and take all 7 tests and go through the same procedure.

My time line and experiences:

December 2010: I took all 6 (at that time 6 only) at Western Veterinary Conference in Las Vegas and passed only 2. I appealed the decision on Radiology and Necropsy and begged to pass me on that section( it was a narrow call) so that I can retake the other 3 instead of retaking everything. The board rejected the appeal.

June 2011 : I retook the test..all 7 of them ( the format has changed from this year)..at Oklahoma State University and passed Equine,Necropsy,Small animal and Large animal medicine. I did not pass Surgery, Anesthesia and Radiology. I did not appeal any of their decisions as I did make minor mistakes and prepared to retake them again. On the Equine section, the professor even complemented me for coming prepared thoroughly.

February 2012: I retook the remaining 3, that is Surgery, Anesthesia and Radiology at Missouri State University. I passed Surgery and Radiology. I failed Anesthesia. The reasons given for failure were 9 minor mistakes. The rule is that if a candidate makes more than 4 minor mistakes then he/she has to retake anesthesia again. I definitely knew that I did not make 9 mistakes and some of them could be proved because of the anesthesia record I had written on the exam. I requested access to my record to prove my point. They denied the request and asked me to appeal. I did that and they rejected the appeal. I went to the next step and petitioned for a review. They rejected that also without ever giving me access to my record. If I had passed that I would have been practicing veterinary medicine now.

Septemebr 2012: Since the appeal did not go through, I had to retake anesthesia. I had 1 last chance before everything reset. I took this test at Las Vegas. They made sure that I knew I was being treated differently than everyone else. They asked questions about my previous appeal. They mentioned Glycopyrolate usage, ( an injection over which I made an argument on my earlier test) and things like that. Even though I did all my procedures right, and the dog was in safe plane of anesthesia, they wont let me finish the test. They said that I placed the endo tracheal tube too deep into chest and kicked me out of test without even letting me finish it. I did not even appeal it as it was palpable that they were mad at me and did not want to make it worse.

April 2013: Everything has been reset and I had to retake all 7 tests. I took them at Tufts university. I did extremely well as I have been taking them for so long. But got a feedback that I passed 4 and failed 3. The failed ones were Equine,Surgery and Anesthesia. Even though I asked to write my findings on Equine,they wont let me write anything. Even the manual provides papers for recording the findings.On anesthesia I performed a perfect procedure with all details recorded on the papers provided. Yet I did not appeal as I got some hope that I could finish the other 3 sooner or later.

December 2013: I retook just the equine test at Tufts again. They did not let me write any of my findings. They failed me again and sent a feedback report that said I did not do the procedures that I have done. I lost hope partially but did not appeal. This is a test that I passed already in Oklahoma and Tufts sent me a report that I did not even give the injection in the correct way.

April 2014: I retook the Anesthesia and Surgery tests at Mississippi. The day before the test the University changed my schedule citing the absence of candidates. They sent me an email to this effect the day before I started the test. They switched the anesthesia and surgery timings. I was never tested with other candidates for my anesthesia. I was tested in a room separate from every one else and monitored every second through out the test.I had a different machine with 2 flow meters, no central oxygen line. The point was to make it difficult. Since I prepared for that as well, I figured out the connections and did really well on anesthesia. They used my anesthesia patient as a demonstration for surgery to their 2nd or 3rd year student creating highly stressful environment. They purposefully tried to wake up the animal while under anesthesia increasing its respiratory rate. I handled that stressful situation also and noted in the record how I managed all the monitoring and how I maintained the anesthesia. They still failed me anyways. I could prove I was doing everything according to protocol if I can get access to the anesthesia record.

On the surgery exam, I let the examiner know that I got a pregnant animal. She asked me to perform surgery as usual.It had about 9 golf ball sized fetuses. Even in practice,without any exam stress it takes much longer to control bleeding and do surgery on a pregnant animal. But they did not give me any additional time and failed me on this. I did everything right, exteriorized the reproductive tract and all I needed was 15 more minutes to close the peritoneum and skin. This is a test I already passed at Missouri University but they keep failing me after that.

I completely lost hope with the incidents at Mississippi university in April 2014. It feels like high school students bullying. I am appalled at how they are harassing me even though I keep going to different locations in the hope that I could get a fair chance at evaluation.

Though it became a long letter, please peruse this and let me know how this situation can be handled legally.Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely"

Sounds scary.
What do you guys think? Is it that tough these days?

Last edited: