Foreign Veterinary Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
good luck

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi

I am taking the CPE at Tuskegee in August. Anyone that took the CPE there could share some advice.

thanks

Dr R.
It's very encouraging to read such posts from you guys that's really makes me more Insistence to start studying to get my license in the Satates that's the greatest goal every body here is looking for.
I will be more grateful if any one can help in a good plan to study for the ECSE
Then the following steps
Kind regards to every body

Members don't see this ad :)
any body who has this book (used ):Guide to Equine Clinics [Paperback]
Chris Pasquini & Susan Pasquini ? . I want to buy

Thanks

Hi,

I have recently passed my BCSC. Any advices for NAVLE exam. I am taking this in Nov-Dec 2013 window. Thanks

Is there anybody in here enrolled in ECFVG and working as a Vet Tech (or other veterinary positions) in the US?

:xf::)

Hi, I am going to take CPE in Nov 2014 in Las Vegas.i just picked up that site without knowing about the site,please give me some feed back,and how to start prepare for CPE. Thank you Vety.

Well you should have registered for the CPE as soon you've passed the BCSE, since you dont have to pass the NAVLE to register for. Everyone one knows that you have to register for the CPE at least 6 months prior to take it, in order to actually get a spot. To be honest I enrolled an year before just to be on the safe side. i understand your frustration, I have been doing this for longer than you (3 years). At least you were able to get a job as a vet tech, most of us are not even that lucky. I know several people that had to do other jobs (work in gas station, pizza delivery etc.). I wouldn't give up now, since you came this far, but that's up to you. The best you can do is to register for the CPE right away as soon as they release the sites and dates. Is difficult to say when that will be, my guess more toward the end of 2013. just keep checking, that's what I did.
It is already posted

Hello, I have a question to all licensed US / Canadian Veterinarians, If a foreign trained veterinarian pass BCSE and NAVLE with CVMA, and he pass CPE in Canada. then in future if he or she want to practice in US, then does he or she need to retake entire CPE in US with AVMA/ECfVG ? (I know BCSE and NAVLE are recogenized in both countries, but does AVMA / ecfvg accept CPE passing score taken in Canada with CVMA ? Thanks.
Hi, I think you can practice in US with that.are you in CAnada?If you are preparing for NAVLE and CPE please let me know. I am from Canada. Thank you

Hello everyone! :)

Is there anyone out there from CA bay area who is interested to prepare for ECFVG program together ? to the CPE step particularly?

Or does anyone have an advice how to prepare better for the CPE especially when it comes to work with large animals?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I am.

Hi, Cocoromi79, Could you please tell how can you get vet tech job? I have sent out my resume for many times and each time the feedback is that I have to have vet tech license. So I am really thinking to go to vet tech school first and get vet tech licese. Actually I need vet clinical experience to sit for CPE any way. Do you guys think it is deserved to do this?

Hi there,
No !! you do not need to waste money and time on vet tech course.
First of all I would say you dont need vet tech job to pass BCSC or NAVLE. If you are worried, then this is your choice.
Secondly, if you are doing job as vet tech, it would be really hard for you to prepare for the exams b/c this job is very physically demanding. (also depends on your financial circumstances)
I passed my BCSC while doing security jobs and now I am doing part time job at vet clinic and taking NAVLE in 2013.
Now !!!
If you really want to look for vet tech job then you will have to go to every single pet clinic in your area with your resume and tell them (vet there NOT staff ) that you want to learn skills w/o any pay. Once you get in as volunteer, after 2 or 3 months you will have nice reference plus experience-------------now you will be able to get paid vet tech job.
This is how I did.....
Hope this helps....
XX

Hey guys does anybody tell me how I prepare for BCSE? I am planning to take BCSE in 2014 and what is your main study material to pass BCSE? if anybody wants to talk to me, to study together or to advice you can contact me by my email address [email protected]. I live in Washington DC.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know a farm animal veterinarian in California to practice with before the CPE?
I have my exam in December but I cannot find a large animal vet that can train me...

Thanks,

Eden

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone!
I'm looking for somebody from LA area to study together for exams. I'm about to take my English test in October, and BCSE hopefully sometime at the beginning of 2014. I live in Santa Monica. If anyone interested please let me know! My email: [email protected]

Hi everyone. I am starting to prepare for the TOEFL exame. After I want to do the board exams. Someone can advise me if I should ake ECFVG or PAVE examination? By the comments it seems that everyone goes to ECFVG, is there any particular reason. has someone taken the PAVE examination?

Thanks a lot.

Hello, I am an Indian veterinarian presently residing in India.
I have passed both BCSE as well as NAVLE and know want to prepare for CPT.
Does anyone has any information about LSU training programme and how good it is?
Also as I am not in US presently so how I can prepare for CPE from outside.
Do reply if you have any idea about LSU training programme or VSTEP programme at Ontario.
Regards

Does anyone has any information about LSU training programme and how good it is?
Do reply if you have any idea about LSU training programme or VSTEP programme at Ontario.
Regards

Hi doctor ,
the studying group you mentioned is no longer exists, any other alternative?
In fact i can not fine any resource for CPE. I would appreciate it if you can help me.

Thanks

Regards

I would think twice before spend a year and $ 50.000 in ANY school doing a clinical year. Because is not guarantee that by doing this you will pass the CPE. I say this because me and many others that I know have spend money and time and failed at least a portion of the CPE. Bottom line is it may help somewhat, but if you can spend 3 months with a large and a small animal veterinarian it will be about the same extent of experience if not more but for much less money and time spent. I met many people that have done that and passed the entire CPE, I should've listened to them. A clinical year is an excellent experience in general veterinary medicine and learning how paperwork is done in US. As far preparing for the CPE, not really, because the clinical senior year is not designed to meet CPE requirements. Senior clinical year is designed to give a 4th year student hands on experience, and lots of busy work (treatments, patient care, paperwork). with few exemptions such as VEtstep in canada witch is specifically designed for foreign graduates and the CPE. I would never passed the surgery section of the CPE if was to depend on the clinical year and surgery rotations. The reason for that is that you will never perform a spay or any surgery while in surgery only the busy work that i mentioned above. There is 3-4 residents, 3-4 interns and the professors in front of you, and obviously they all have the priority, you my friend only get the dirty work. I had to get a shelter externship on my own to get some spay/neuter experience, otherwhise I would have none, and probably would have failed surgery on CPE. Make sure if you go to any school program me, you discuss what rotations you would like to do. Make sure they understand that in order to prepare for the CPE you may have to repeat some rotations such as anesthesia and some would be useless such as surgery??, and that you may also need some different needs such as a lots of time on primary care and shelter medicine (spay/neuter experience). I say that because most of the times, schools will want you to follow a regular 4th student program, which may not include everything you need.
Even than is not guarantee you will pass the CPE. There's many aspects in the test even luck. And remember clinical year take your time and money and will leave you exausted in the end.

Thanks for ur valuable advice but my problem is that I am outside us so how can I shadow a vet. Is their any provision for visa which allow shadowing if not can u tell me what is the best way to prepare for CPE for someone who is on my position
..once again thank you..

Hello everyone!
I'm looking for somebody from LA area to study together for exams. I'm about to take my English test in October, and BCSE hopefully sometime at the beginning of 2014. I live in Santa Monica. If anyone interested please let me know! My email: [email protected]
Hi,
my own experience is that you don't really need someone to study with, for the BCSE you have to register in zuku (important; finish all the questions!!!!) and study full time for 6 months. It sound hard but it's been my experience and the experience that I have seen with a lot of people that I'd met.
One important thing that I've learn in this process is to worry at one thing at the time, so focus in your TOEFL first (or the IELTS which is way easier) and then in the BCSE.
Good luck

Please, anybody studying for or has taken CPE in Dallas, TX. I need some advice.

Hi,
my own experience is that you don't really need someone to study with, for the BCSE you have to register in zuku (important; finish all the questions!!!!) and study full time for 6 months. It sound hard but it's been my experience and the experience that I have seen with a lot of people that I'd met.
One important thing that I've learn in this process is to worry at one thing at the time, so focus in your TOEFL first (or the IELTS which is way easier) and then in the BCSE.
Good luck

No one will help you as far as visa sponsorship to come to US just to shadow, unless is somebody that you know personally and is willing to help you. I don't want give you really advice about visa as I do not know much about it, and it can be different for each country.

Anyhow, in your case I think your option is pretty obvious. It looks like you have to come through a school program so you can get a visa. Having that said I would go to Oklahoma if I was you. They have a kind "specific program" for the foreign graduates. It is also more affordable than the other schools I think around $ 30000. I think most place ask you for $45000 to 50000. Oklahoma is also a fairly cheap state to live. I don't know if you care for saving some money. I met 2 girls that went there for the CPE and they liked, they seemed a lot more prepared for the actual test than me (I went to other school). They also told me that their program gave them a lot more freedom to do the rotations they actually needed, which I did not have. I had no saying on my rotations, I just had to do as I was told.

Here is their website:

http://www.cvm.okstate.edu/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&id=6&Itemid=152

Anyway good luck

Hi everyone. I am starting to prepare for the TOEFL exame. After I want to do the board exams. Someone can advise me if I should ake ECFVG or PAVE examination? By the comments it seems that everyone goes to ECFVG, is there any particular reason. has someone taken the PAVE examination?

Thanks a lot.
Toefl is very hard I couldn't pass it , try another exam ielts it seems to be easyer

Hi there, I'm not sure anyone here would be able to give me any advice. I am not a foreign graduate but I am a foreigner in the US. I got my DVM from a US university and did 1 year of small animal rotating internship. I was supposed to start a specialty internship after my rotating but my application didn't get selected in this year's H1B lottery and therefore I couldn't work anywhere. I know there are lot of veterinarians here who may also require sponsorship to work and I'm wondering how to find a job for next year. I am a licensed veterinarian in the state I currently live in but unable to work and really haven't met anyone else in a similar situation to share experiences. Any advice is appreciated!

I am really happy to read this post, very encouraging. Thank you so much Beovet, and hope you can pass CPE fluently.

Hello everyone,

I've just passed BCSE and I want to share my experience with you, like many of you have done before, and it was very helpful, thanks :)

Good luck, stay in touch!

Hi there, I'm not sure anyone here would be able to give me any advice. I am not a foreign graduate but I am a foreigner in the US. I got my DVM from a US university and did 1 year of small animal rotating internship. I was supposed to start a specialty internship after my rotating but my application didn't get selected in this year's H1B lottery and therefore I couldn't work anywhere. I know there are lot of veterinarians here who may also require sponsorship to work and I'm wondering how to find a job for next year. I am a licensed veterinarian in the state I currently live in but unable to work and really haven't met anyone else in a similar situation to share experiences. Any advice is appreciated!

Hi there,
I know couple of people who are working at Banfield Hospitals, VCAs and City Hospitals. These are big corporations and I hope you will get job there.

Hi guys! Anyone preparing for the exams in South Florida - Miami, vicinity? It would be great to join forces :)

Hello everyone,

I am vet from Bulgaria. I have been living in USA for 5 years and I have been working as a vet tech all the time. I just passed TOEFL exam and I am attempting to get ready for BSCE test. Do you have any tips, suggestions , favorite textbooks??I have Merck manual and I have been reading it last few weeks. Please feel free to contact me on [email protected] . Good luck to all of you.

Kremchivet

Thanks a lot.

Hi,

I choose ECFVG program because the score that I got on TOEFL was enough for this particular program. This is the only reason for me...Good luck on TOEFL, it is not so hard that i thought.

Hello everyone,

I am vet from Bulgaria. I have been living in USA for 5 years and I have been working as a vet tech all the time. I just passed TOEFL exam and I am attempting to get ready for BSCE test. Do you have any tips, suggestions , favorite textbooks??I have Merck manual and I have been reading it last few weeks. Please feel free to contact me on [email protected] . Good luck to all of you.

Kremchivet

Merk will not help you. Get Zuku and also study '' clinical text book for veterinary technicians''.

Anyone is preparing for the CPE at Baton Rouge, Louisiana? My CPE is in April, 2014 at Mississippi State University. It would be really nice to prepare it together!

Email me: [email protected]

I found this the other day and I like it too.There is some useful information.

Hi this is Umesh , from India , I have clinical setup in India in one of the metro cities in India , But I want to get the international Ecfvg certificate and want to take Navle as well . I believe being international vet would promote my practice . I am just clueless how do we go about the clinical expertise needed for CPE , As I believe getting through bsce or navle shouldn't be really a big deal . As I can take both the exams from India. Another question is how much really veterinarians after few years of exprience earn in USA and why there is so much disparity in different states ? When it comes to hiring , do ECFVG doctors face any challenge or bias as compared to other fresh university graduates . If I get through bcse and navle , I appear for cpe much later , then for how long navle score would be valid before I could appear and pass cpe , I posted this question to nvbme discussion forum , though they haven't got back to me .

Last edited:
Merk will not help you. Get Zuku and also study '' clinical text book for veterinary technicians''.
I agree, I passed BCSE already and it's not a easy test. My recommendation is to study with Zuku at least 5 months full time (at least 5 - 6 days a week) and make sure to finish all the questions!!! if you want to pass it the first time. I know it sound overkill but believe me it's a must, I had to learn that the hard way.

Hi this is Umesh , from India , I have clinical setup in India in one of the metro cities in India , But I want to get the international Ecfvg certificate and want to take Navle as well . I believe being international vet would promote my practice . I am just clueless how do we go about the clinical expertise needed for CPE , As I believe getting through bsce or navle shouldn't be really a big deal . As I can take both the exams from India. Another question is how much really veterinarians after few years of exprience earn in USA and why there is so much disparity in different states ? When it comes to hiring , do ECFVG doctors face any challenge or bias as compared to other fresh university graduates . If I get through bcse and navle , I appear for cpe much later , then for how long navle score would be valid before I could appear and pass cpe , I posted this question to nvbme discussion forum , though they haven't got back to me .

"I am just clueless how do we go about the clinical expertise needed for CPE"
there is a manual step by step for each section about the content of the examination in the ECFVG web site.

" I believe getting through bsce or navle shouldn't be really a big deal"
Complete disagree with you, those are really hard tests even for an experience practitioner, especially the NAVLE is a very specific test in theory and practice of every major specie, even if you work with small animals, the questions in large animals will be hard to answer without studying for a long long.

" how much really veterinarians after few years of experience earn in USA and why there is so much disparity in different states ? "
salary depend not only in what state but in what city you do work, is for the same reason that the cost of living is different in different states in the united states, for example an average house in California would cost $600000 and the same house in the midwest will cost $200000. Salaries varies as well as the living cost of the city. To be more specific a new graduate veterinary could make in Los Angeles, CA or in another big metropolis a starting salary of approx. $60000, a experience vet in a big practice $90000, and a specialist over $100000. It would be way less than that in other states.

"When it comes to hiring , do ECFVG doctors face any challenge or bias as compared to other fresh university graduates'
No, it will depend on who has more knowledge and experience in practice.

"for how long navle score would be valid before I could appear and pass cpe"
that info is in the ECFVG web site.

Good luck.